View Full Version : RIP - Bettie Page

MoonSylver
12-Dec-2008, 10:32 PM
From CNN:

"Legendary pinup queen Bettie Page died of pneumonia at the age of 85 in a Los Angeles, California, hospital Thursday, a week after suffering a heart attack, according to her agent.
Pinup queen Bettie Page was credited with helping to usher in the sexual revolution.

Pinup queen Bettie Page was credited with helping to usher in the sexual revolution.

"She captured the imagination of a generation of men and women with her free spirit and unabashed sensuality," said agent Mark Roesler in a written statement. "She is the embodiment of beauty."

Page, said to be one of the most photographed people of the past century, became a recluse in recent decades. Yet, her images continued to be used around the world to market Bettie Page action figures, clothing lines and other merchandise.

The Web site, BettiePage.com, logs about 20 million hits a month, Roesler said. A TVGuide.com poll recently placed Bettie Page as the "ultimate sex goddess," outscoring others such as Marilyn Monroe. iReport.com: Share your trubutes to Bettie Page

Page was born to a poor family in Tennessee on April 22, 1923. While her birth certificate spelled her name "Betty," she changed the spelling later in life to "Bettie."

At a time when few women pursued a college education, Page earned a bachelor of arts degree in education from Peabody College in Tennessee in 1944, according to her official biography.
Don't Miss

Her teaching career, however, was hampered by her looks, she said.

"I couldn't control my students, especially the boys," she is quoted as saying.

After her modeling career ended, Page returned to Peabody College to work on a master's degree, the bio said. Her Southern drawl and a refusal to sleep with a Hollywood producer hampered her acting career, according to her bio.

"I didn't like his looks," Page said. "I wouldn't have gone to bed with him anyway. He was a creep. He drove off in his big car and scolded me, 'You'll be sorry.' I wasn't."

Page said she regretted not accepting studio boss Jack Warner's offer of another screen-test, but it came while she was trying to save her marriage to her first husband, Billy Neal.

Her modeling breakthrough began after she divorced Neal in 1947 when she met a police officer whose hobby was photography. He suggested the black bangs, which became her trademark, her bio said. Not long after, her images were everywhere, gracing magazine covers and locker pin-ups.

Page wore nothing but a Santa hat in Playboy's January 1955 centerfold. Playboy founder Hugh Hefner said her appearance in his magazine's first year was a milestone.

"She became, in time, an American icon, her winning smile and effervescent personality apparent in every pose," Hefner said.

"A kinky connection was added by Irving Klaw's spanking, fetish and bondage photos, which became part of the Bettie Page mystique," Hefner said. "They were playful parodies that are now perceived as the early inspiration for Madonna's excursions into the realm of sexual perversion."

Perhaps the most memorable photos of Page were her bondage poses, which she said were all pretend.

"I never understood how anyone believed those poses were sexy," she later said. "To be tied up? I don't get it."

"She was a remarkable woman, truly someone that changed the social norms, not only here in this country, but also around the world," Roesler said. "While Jackie Robinson was changing the racial attitudes, Bettie Page was changing our attitudes on sex. She became a James Dean type of 'rebel' figure as she allowed people to be less inhibited and look at sex in a different way."

Saucy photos of Paige in skimpy clothing or none at all helped to lead the way for the sexual revolution of the 1960s.

Page suddenly disappeared from the scene in 1958. It was only decades later revealed that she re-emerged to explain that she underwent a religious conversion and moved to Florida.

Her life took a dark turn starting in 1978 after her third marriage failed, Roesler said.

Page went through "some mental instability, violent mood swings, and serious trouble with the law" and was eventually diagnosed as a paranoid schizophrenic, according to her bio.

Page reappeared in public in December 2003 for Playboy's 50th anniversary party, where she made a grand entrance with Anna Nicole Smith.

It was the only time in the past 50 years that Page allowed her photograph to be taken, Roesler said.

A private funeral service is planned for Tuesday. Page will buried at Westwood Cemetery in Los Angeles, just a few feet away from Monroe."

Don't know how many of the younger generation are familiar with her. They may know the image from the works of Olivia & other artists who still use her as a model, perhaps not even knowing that there was real person as the inspiration for the images. I don't know if it was the sparkle in the eyes, the devilish grin, or the curves that wouldn't quit, but I always thought she was hot. Especially in the pre-surgery,airbrushed, digitally enhanced days. To me that's what a real woman looks like. Here's a couple of moderatly work friendly images in case you don't know who this is. Turn your google filter off at home and you can...um...see MUCH more of Bettie....:stunned: :D ;)

http://www.quizilla.com/user_images/I/iluvprettyboys/1050255799_CMyDocumentsbbettie.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/Bettie_666/bettie%20page/betty_page0267.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f17/hallie53082/BettyPaige.jpg

www.bettiepage.com

Bub666
12-Dec-2008, 11:42 PM
I heard about this a few hours ago,very sad news.

AcesandEights
13-Dec-2008, 02:49 AM
Very, very sad. Truly she lived a long and full life and certainly helped push some societal limits :)

blind2d
13-Dec-2008, 06:01 PM
Whenever someone special like this dies, I always tend to wonder about their souls... RIP. Amazing person.

Chic Freak
13-Dec-2008, 06:15 PM
RIP :( A truly inspirational person.

Yojimbo
13-Dec-2008, 06:34 PM
First Forrest Ackerman and then Bettie Page, all in such as short period of time. It is a sad week indeed!

RIP Bettie Page.

Cody
13-Dec-2008, 07:28 PM
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/RAVEN/RP522~Bettie-Page-In-the-Sand-Posters.jpg

beauty

Wooley
14-Dec-2008, 10:33 PM
She's one of the better known celebs I've liked who has passed in the past few years. Few remarked the passing of Jim Cirillo or Jeff Cooper outside the shooting and police/military communities, and few remarked the passing of Cresson H. Kearny outside the survivalist/Civil Defense communities.

clanglee
19-Dec-2008, 01:17 AM
She's one of the better known celebs I've liked who has passed in the past few years. Few remarked the passing of Jim Cirillo or Jeff Cooper outside the shooting and police/military communities, and few remarked the passing of Cresson H. Kearny outside the survivalist/Civil Defense communities.

I'm sorry Wooley , but that's because Few knew who the heck those guys were. They were hardly celebrities, except in the Gun lover/Survivalist worlds. That does not make their passing any less sad and all that, but they have had hardly the same impact on Western culture as Bettie Page. Bettie Page was a cultural icon the other guys wrote some books about how to survive a nuclear winter and how to shoot straight. All respects, I fail to see the comparison.

Danny
19-Dec-2008, 11:22 PM
to be honest all i knew was the overweight hairdressing students tried to dress themselves like her.

nothings creepier than seeing a group of girls with the same hair, same clothes and same makeup walking in a line, cigarette smoke billowing behind them, walking up the street towards you.

brrr, creepy.

bassman
20-Dec-2008, 12:50 AM
to be honest all i knew was the overweight hairdressing students tried to dress themselves like her.

nothings creepier than seeing a group of girls with the same hair, same clothes and same makeup walking in a line, cigarette smoke billowing behind them, walking up the street towards you.

brrr, creepy.

:lol:

Even though I live halfway across the world from you....I know exactly what kind of person you're talking about. And yeah....they're creepy.

As for Bettie Page....never really knew who she was until that film about her was released.:confused:

Danny
20-Dec-2008, 01:26 AM
:lol:

Even though I live halfway across the world from you....I know exactly what kind of person you're talking about. And yeah....they're creepy.

As for Bettie Page....never really knew who she was until that film about her was released.:confused:

i think the closest thing ive seen on sites with more american member than anyone else i visit mentioned were "rockerbilly chicks"

clanglee
20-Dec-2008, 02:35 AM
More Suicide Girls than Rockabilly, but I see your point. And yeah, I know the kind of girl you are talking about Hell, very unfortunate girls. Do yours still wear doc martins?:D

Danny
20-Dec-2008, 10:12 AM
More Suicide Girls than Rockabilly, but I see your point. And yeah, I know the kind of girl you are talking about Hell, very unfortunate girls. Do yours still wear doc martins?:D

yep, just like the ganguro girls and there ugg boots and "nuclear orange" level tans and white makeup:lol: