PDA

View Full Version : Resistance is futile...

Kaos
16-Dec-2008, 01:41 PM
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/12/11/brain_image_research/

World's first 'thought images' seen on screen

11th December 2008 18:19 GMT

Asking 'shall we watch a film?' could soon be replaced by 'shall we watch a dream?' For the first time, researchers have successfully reproduced images on a PC screen that were captured inside a human brain.

According to several online sources, Japan's ATR Computational Neuroscience Laboratories first showed a group of test subjects the six individual letters that make up the word 'neuron'.

Then by measuring brain activity – specifically, activity in the brain’s visual cortex – ATR’s researchers were able to reproduce each of the letters, from each of the subjects, on a PC screen.

The Kyoto-based lab said in a statement that it was the first time that it had ever been possible to visualise what people saw directly from their brain activity.

But where will the researchers go from here? ATR added that the technology may make it possible to, one day, record and replay subjective images that people perceive as dreams.

So no more forgetting what that weird dream was less than 30 seconds after you wake up.

This tech could lead to the recording of experiences and then replaying them in other peoples' brains like in the movie Brainstorm (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085271/).

Totally dope.:)

AcesandEights
16-Dec-2008, 02:06 PM
Totally dope.:)

Sure, if you like Thought Police :D

Kaos
16-Dec-2008, 02:13 PM
Sorry, don't have a cop fetish...

Anyway in the movie they recorded extreme sports experiences, theme park rides, and even sexual encounters. One guy got totally addicted to the sexual encounter tape in the movie. If they invented the tech, it would definitely lead to this. There is no question in my mind.

strayrider
16-Dec-2008, 04:01 PM
This might be pretty cool.

Anyone for an interactive "Dawn" scenario dream?

:D

-stray-

FoodFight
16-Dec-2008, 04:16 PM
'Strange Days' follows a similar theme, plus it has a topless Juliette Lewis. That's something I could be addicted to.

Tricky
16-Dec-2008, 05:52 PM
The best thing would be if they could work this in reverse,so that a camera could project the world around into a blind persons mind,therefore bypassing their knackered mince pies,that would be far cooler!

MinionZombie
16-Dec-2008, 06:04 PM
Oh man, a dream recorder would be awesome, kinda like in Red Dwarf.

Just think, you could view back that awesome sex dream you had, but immediately forgot, or you could view back the sheer awesomeness of your pwning skills in your own sleepy-time zombie epic. :D

MoonSylver
16-Dec-2008, 10:09 PM
Man, this scares to fook out of me for some reason. Imagine if they can look around in there & pull out whatever they want. What if they can reverse engineer it & PUT images in your mind. False memories, brainwashing, all kinds of applications.

Maybe I'm just paranoid...:shifty:

blind2d
17-Dec-2008, 12:25 PM
"The Dream Police they live inside of my head, the Dream Police they come to me in my bed..." Yeah, also like that anime Paprika. What's that? Haven't seen it? Maybe you did, and just forgot, but it's definitely one of the best out there... look it up, I promise you won't be sorry.

MikePizzoff
17-Dec-2008, 06:22 PM
Easy solution to all the paranoia: don't let anybody plug any wires into your head, no matter how many times they tell you it can inject you with adamantium.

Cody
18-Dec-2008, 12:55 AM
Awesome!! the technology is very primitive if it can only display letters but huge leap for man kind

Kaos
18-Dec-2008, 12:02 PM
Here is what the process imaged:

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/081217-science-neuron-hlarge-610p.hlarge.jpg

Chic Freak
18-Dec-2008, 12:30 PM
That. Is. Amazing.

I would so be up for having my dream recorded. Can't imagine I'm important enough in the grand scheme of things for anyone to want to implant my brain with false memories.

Yay!

AcesandEights
18-Dec-2008, 03:18 PM
Can't imagine I'm important enough in the grand scheme of things for anyone to want to implant my brain with false memories.

Add to that your smile and chipper demeanor and we have the perfect Manchurian candidate :D

MaximusIncredulous
18-Dec-2008, 05:44 PM
Fantastic! Now I can finally make my own movies, well blurry silent movies anyway.

Dommm
18-Dec-2008, 08:27 PM
one word 3x

awsome awsome awsome

Yojimbo
19-Dec-2008, 12:52 AM
one word 3x

awsome awsome awsome
Yeah, what Domm said, 3x over!

DeadJonas190
19-Dec-2008, 06:38 AM
"The Dream Police they live inside of my head, the Dream Police they come to me in my bed..." Yeah, also like that anime Paprika. What's that? Haven't seen it? Maybe you did, and just forgot, but it's definitely one of the best out there... look it up, I promise you won't be sorry.

Paprika is amazing. It's one of those movies that will get your thoughts going and keep them going for a while. I bought that movie as an import because it had not been released here in the US on DVD at the time and I do not regret the extra cash I paid to get it.

That. Is. Amazing.

I would so be up for having my dream recorded. Can't imagine I'm important enough in the grand scheme of things for anyone to want to implant my brain with false memories.

Yay!

If they could implant the brain with false memories they could theoretically wipe out bad memories such as abuse or seeing a love one murdered. In strange ways it could be used to fix someone's messed up psychology, but would it be moral to change ones memories in order to "fix" them?

I am actually writing a story that deals with the morality in changing somebody's memories as a way to treat psychosis and the results of doing so. Hopefully I will be able to finish it soon and if you guys are interested I can post it, but lately I have hit a batch of writers block.

blind2d
19-Dec-2008, 12:53 PM
Your story idea sounds totally rad! I would love to read it, whenever you feel like sharing. Also, sometimes I am creatively inspired by what I eat for breakfast, so maybe you could try that... I know it's a long-shot, but I just want to help.

Yojimbo
20-Dec-2008, 12:53 AM
Paprika is amazing. It's one of those movies that will get your thoughts going and keep them going for a while. I bought that movie as an import because it had not been released here in the US on DVD at the time and I do not regret the extra cash I paid to get it.

If they could implant the brain with false memories they could theoretically wipe out bad memories such as abuse or seeing a love one murdered. In strange ways it could be used to fix someone's messed up psychology, but would it be moral to change ones memories in order to "fix" them?

I am actually writing a story that deals with the morality in changing somebody's memories as a way to treat psychosis and the results of doing so. Hopefully I will be able to finish it soon and if you guys are interested I can post it, but lately I have hit a batch of writers block.
Sounds very cool, I'd like to read that!

Wasn't that Jim Carrey movie (name escapes me now) sort of in the same vein, about wiping out bad memories to fix someone's problems. Nevertheless, I am sure that your story is going to be a better time than watching that flick!

MinionZombie
20-Dec-2008, 10:52 AM
Sounds very cool, I'd like to read that!

Wasn't that Jim Carrey movie (name escapes me now) sort of in the same vein, about wiping out bad memories to fix someone's problems. Nevertheless, I am sure that your story is going to be a better time than watching that flick!
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Tricky
20-Dec-2008, 11:26 AM
If they could implant the brain with false memories .

"git your ass to mars...git your ass to mars,IM NOT HOWZER,IM QUAAAAAAAAAAAID!" :lol: