PDA

View Full Version : SlipKnoT (Media Discussion)

NEMESIS23
23-Dec-2008, 12:38 AM
Any SlipKnoT fans here ?

Cody
23-Dec-2008, 01:45 AM
Im into their older stuff.I actually just bought the subliminal verses cd the other day haha.

3pidemiC
23-Dec-2008, 04:20 AM
I used to be back in middle school. That was back when Iowa first came out.

capncnut
23-Dec-2008, 04:48 AM
Saw 'em twice (once during their debut album era and secondly during Iowa era) and they put on a stonking show both times. However, they have now become the musical equivalent of bubblegum; ten minutes in and they've lost their flavour! I think the last album only had about 3 or 4 decent songs on it and was sounding dangerously close to emo.

I'll never forget Iowa though, that was one mental record.

Mike70
23-Dec-2008, 05:23 AM
nope. can't stand them in fact, total and complete crap in my book.

Cody
23-Dec-2008, 05:52 AM
stonking capn? ive never even heard of that term.

Minerva_Zombi
23-Dec-2008, 06:49 AM
yeah, in middle school. i hate them now too. pretty ****ty...

bassman
23-Dec-2008, 11:45 AM
I can enjoy a few of their songs, but mostly because of the drummer, Joey Jordison. The rest of them aren't really talented at all. Especially the "singer".:dead:

Tricky
23-Dec-2008, 12:17 PM
I bought the first album just because i liked the track "wait & bleed" (i was around 19/20 at the time) but i didnt get into the rest & its not the kind of music im into,i dont see the point in all those satanist style symbols & grim lyrics.Im into proper rock thats a bit more lighthearted & not aimed at angsty semi-psychotic teens with issues,Airbourne being my latest favourite band!:)

_liam_
23-Dec-2008, 02:34 PM
lol no way Tricky, the grimmer & more cod-satanic the better

Just look at this chap

http://www.christopherporter.com/images/gorgoroth.jpg

He knows what it's about

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/beebon/ElectricWizardEsterS_5133.jpg

It's all very wholesome

But yeah, Slipknot are alright, demo & first two albums are very good, and there's a few tracks on vol.3 that are pretty decent, although some of it is a bit cringeworthy. Haven't heard the new one yet. They do a decent live show too.

Tricky
23-Dec-2008, 03:16 PM
just doesnt float my boat all the occult stuff & **** facial hair im afraid, i was vaguely into it in my teens but those days are long gone!

NEMESIS23
23-Dec-2008, 08:27 PM
I have been been a fan of SlipKnoT since i was in the 4th grade ! Now i am in the 10th grade...There new cd was pretty good but i wish they still had stuff like on IOWA. Nothing beats it !

capncnut
23-Dec-2008, 08:32 PM
The two Stone Sour albums beat anything 'Dogknot' have released since Iowa.

There new cd was pretty good but i wish they still had stuff like on IOWA. Nothing beats it !
The new cd is very mediocre (couple of good tunes) but I agree, Iowa is a decent record.

MikePizzoff
24-Dec-2008, 03:38 PM
nope. can't stand them in fact, total and complete crap in my book.

Here here, I second that motion!

slickwilly13
24-Dec-2008, 04:17 PM
I like their old stuff, but haven't heard the new. They do have cool costumes.

Hey liam, what's up with the old woman in the background? :lol:

Chic Freak
28-Dec-2008, 01:43 PM
I bought the first album just because i liked the track "wait & bleed" (i was around 19/20 at the time) but i didnt get into the rest & its not the kind of music im into,i dont see the point in all those satanist style symbols & grim lyrics.Im into proper rock thats a bit more lighthearted & not aimed at angsty semi-psychotic teens with issues

'Wait and Bleed' is the song that got me into metal when I was 14 :) Other than that Tricky, you are pretty much describing my criteria for my favourite music:

- satanic symbols *check*
- grim lyrics *check*
- not light-hearted *check*
- aimed at angsty semi-psychotic teens with issues *check*

Almost all of my collection checks at least one of these boxes :lol:

I can't be doing with shiny happy healthy rockstars with glossy coats and waggy tails singing about what fun life is etc, they can f*ck off :p Give me anorexic skagheads/ angry lesbians with more hair on their legs than their heads articulating their pain to three loud and heavily distorted chords any day :cool:

http://www.christopherporter.com/images/gorgoroth.jpg

Liam, didn't I tell you to stop borrowing my makeup and scaring my nan? ahaha

SymphonicX
28-Dec-2008, 02:13 PM
I HATE the three chord thing. I hate that Metal only pumps out two-note riffs. If you're gonna detune your guitar that much, just get a cello and put it through a Line6....or a 7 string bass guitar. FFS...ironically these lower tunings and massive amounts of inaudible, useless strings actually makes the music more simplistic.

And as for the 4 or 5 members of slipknot that don't actually do anything except pose, well they can f**k off.

Joey will always have my respect. But Slipknot, no thanks.

I met slipknot unmasked back when Wait and Bleed was a single. They ended up on TFI Friday with Chris Evans and I knew someone who worked there, so scammed a few tickets. We met the band and stuff ages before anyone knew who they were or what they looked like. I was so drunk I confused the fat guitar player with a bloody security guard!!! LOL...still we kinda went for a laff, dug out some stupid boiler suits and went there to try and get on camera...just for the fun of it really...had no idea just how boring they were under all that image.

But seriously...they had like one good song, the rest of their good music was on the demo Mate.Feed.Kill.Repeat - that was bloody interesting...rap and jazz and metal and funk...solos, everything...well good.

And Corey Taylor? Has anyone heard this punk attempt to sing live? He can't do it.

Slipknot, unfortunately, signalled the death of good post-pantera based metal, and heralded a new age of complete gimmicky ****e.

That's my opinion - however I know somehow down the line they have gotten some respect, perhaps I'm just a tinsy bit too old, having gotten into metal by listening to real metal like Pantera, Slayer, and Fear Factory, and of course growing up on Judas Priest...by the time Slipknot came around, I was by far too old to really buy into the gimmick but I do admit their first album got a few plays in my CD player...until I heard Primal Fear's then new album and was so totally blown away that these guys could actually play and put on a show without masks that before long the CD was relegated to my graveyard of absolutely dire music like Korn and Limp ****stick.

Anyway - I respect that some of you like them, so continue chatting and don't mind me, it's just my opinion.

Tricky
28-Dec-2008, 06:51 PM
all the satanic symbols though,do they actually believe in all that sh*t or do they just do it to try & look hard & scary?

Chic Freak
28-Dec-2008, 08:41 PM
And Corey Taylor? Has anyone heard this punk attempt to sing live? He can't do it.

I've seen Slipknot three or four times now, always a good show for me :)

all the satanic symbols though,do they actually believe in all that sh*t or do they just do it to try & look hard & scary?

To look hard and scary of course... same as rap artists harping on about bitches and guns (to look like they might be criminals in real life) and girly pop artists making every single song about sex (to look like they really do look that gorgeous in real life and just slink around clubs and bedrooms all day/ night).

All bands have to push an image, it's just that some images are more interesting than others. I like lots of challenging/ bizarre/ offensive arty bollocks myself, but that's just me :)

capncnut
28-Dec-2008, 09:07 PM
Liam, didn't I tell you to stop borrowing my makeup and scaring my nan? ahaha
Haha, there is an uncanny resemblance. :lol:

NEMESIS23
28-Dec-2008, 09:18 PM
God you seen the that many times damn your lucky..

I've seen Slipknot three or four times now, always a good show for me :)

To look hard and scary of course... same as rap artists harping on about bitches and guns (to look like they might be criminals in real life) and girly pop artists making every single song about sex (to look like they really do look that gorgeous in real life and just slink around clubs and bedrooms all day/ night).

All bands have to push an image, it's just that some images are more interesting than others. I like lots of challenging/ bizarre/ offensive arty bollocks myself, but that's just me :)

_liam_
03-Jan-2009, 01:26 AM
Pretending to worship the devil rules!

I can prove it scientifically... Using the naked eye, who rules more?

These guys

http://blog.newsok.com/bamsblog/files/2008/08/coldplay-2.jpg

OR THESE GUYS

http://www.bloodstock.uk.com/cpg/albums/userpics/29604/Akercocke-Bloodstock-Galler.jpg

A band should have a sense of theatrical verve! Re: Tricky, some bands are actually Devil Worshippers or whatever, but most just do it because it rules.

Bands I can think of that ARE Devil Worshippers include

Akercocke (LaVey Satanism)
Dissection (Temple of The Black Light - proper nutters)
Gorgoroth (some sort of Nordic Theistic Satanism)
King Diamond (LaVey Satanism)
Deicide (Who knows)

Bands that people think are but aren't include

Slipknot (nope, drugs & angst and stuff are all they do)
Nine Inch Nails (nope)
Marilyn Manson (not really, sort LaVey at one point)
Alice Cooper (nope)
Ozzy Osbourne (just a drunk)
ACDC (just a bunch of australian drunks)
Cradle of Filth (do they actually fool anyone)

Chic Freak
03-Jan-2009, 02:00 PM
Pretending to worship the devil rules!

I can prove it scientifically... Using the naked eye, who rules more?

These guys

http://blog.newsok.com/bamsblog/files/2008/08/coldplay-2.jpg

OR THESE GUYS

http://www.bloodstock.uk.com/cpg/albums/userpics/29604/Akercocke-Bloodstock-Galler.jpg

rofpml! :lol:

But yeah... I like bands who present themselves interestingly as well as making good music. Alice Cooper would not be half so cool if he'd just wandered onto stage in jeans and a tee-shirt with short hair and no makeup and sat on a stool and sang (although that does work for some people- can even add to the image- see Nirvana's Unplugged in NY- but you know).

slickwilly13
03-Jan-2009, 03:11 PM
King Diamond sucks! I like to laugh at him. *L*

_liam_
08-Jan-2009, 10:05 AM
King Diamond is funny as hell :lol: I love that stuff, every time I stick it on, we just end up laughing