PDA

View Full Version : Would you ?

NEMESIS23
24-Dec-2008, 06:18 PM
I got a qustion for you guys..If there was a zombie outbreak would you go to the mall ? Wouldnt the mall have alot of zombies ?

SRP76
24-Dec-2008, 06:21 PM
I wouldn't go to my local mall, that's for sure. It's nothing but clothing and jewelry stores; they don't sell so much as a wiffleball bat. I'd be stuck fighting hordes of zombies with my bare hands.

NEMESIS23
24-Dec-2008, 06:27 PM
I know would not go to the mall...Knowing my luck there would be a **** load of zombies there..I would just go to a gun store ...

Doc
24-Dec-2008, 06:51 PM
I wouldn't go to my local mall, that's for sure. It's nothing but clothing and jewelry stores; they don't sell so much as a wiffleball bat. I'd be stuck fighting hordes of zombies with my bare hands.

Sma as you. The only thing I can think of that qualifes as a weapon at my mall is....a saw.

EvilNed
24-Dec-2008, 06:53 PM
Well, there's a shopping "district" not too far away from me, with two malls, an IKEA (surprise!) and a... Wal-Mart of sorts. Would I go there? Maybe. It's not to far away from me, I can make it by bike within 10 minutes. I might check it out. Around here, we're not too densely populated so even if a quarter of the population got zombified they'd be spread out across a pretty wide area.

But truth be told, if I had said bike, and I had that time, I might as well just bike down to the beach. Would take around 40 minutes, maybe. And from there, a small island, maybe. Or bike down to a friend of mine, who lives further down the coast. Very, very few houses, and one hell of a cool beach. And there's this island in the middle of nowhere, which you can wade too. That'd be a pretty safe spot to sit at, because if any zombies (of which there would be veeeery few) would try to take you on, they'd have to wade through several hundred yards of water, and even before that, they'd be visible for maybe half-a-kilometer.

So... erh... No. No mall. Sorry, got carried away.

Yojimbo
24-Dec-2008, 09:10 PM
I know would not go to the mall...Knowing my luck there would be a **** load of zombies there..I would just go to a gun store ...

I wouldn't go to my local mall, that is for sure. And as for a gun store, likely everyone would be looting that at the first sign of a breakdown of society, so I'm not certain that would be where I would head either.

Think in a zombie apocalypse you might be at a greater risk from other survivors than the zombies, so I think I would be headed away from where people are, out to the wilderness, and set up camp somewhere far, far away from cities and towns.

MikePizzoff
24-Dec-2008, 09:35 PM
I'd go to my local Home Depot, which is in a MASSIVE center of consumerism, including a gigantic supermarket that'd be able to feed me and others for a very long time.

It's right up the street from the mall, so I'd probably check the mall for other survivors at some point.

MoonSylver
25-Dec-2008, 01:00 AM
I wouldn't go to my local mall, that is for sure. And as for a gun store, likely everyone would be looting that at the first sign of a breakdown of society, so I'm not certain that would be where I would head either.

Think in a zombie apocalypse you might be at a greater risk from other survivors than the zombies, so I think I would be headed away from where people are, out to the wilderness, and set up camp somewhere far, far away from cities and towns.

You got it. Any place you can think of that you want to hole up/loot there's gonna be plenty of other people who think of the same thing. Best to head for the hills, away from people.

sandrock74
25-Dec-2008, 05:50 AM
My mall is nothing but clothing stores, jewelry stores, cell phone kiosks and coffee shops. I can't think of one useful thing there.

AcesandEights
25-Dec-2008, 06:15 PM
I would not go to...

The local mall
The local Walmart
The local Home Depot
The closest Military Base
Local Police Departments
Local hospitals

All bad ideas. Places to get shot, bitten, swarmed or pillaged during an outbreak. And half of them are hard to fortify or get 'exclusive' dominion over during an outbreak, in most cases. Now, after an outbreak and a large die off, some of those places might be an option to loot and/or possibly fortify, or you might not be shot outright at an extant military base (maybe...).

bigmonkey2582
25-Dec-2008, 06:20 PM
I'd stock up on arms, raid a grocery store, and then go with the flow, I wouldn't lock myself anywhere, that seems a scenerio that always fails, in the movies anyway.

Skippy911sc
26-Dec-2008, 04:08 PM
I got a qustion for you guys..If there was a zombie outbreak would you go to the mall ? Wouldnt the mall have alot of zombies ?

I was going to make mention of the word "qustion", but you had a fit in another post over this...:rolleyes:

Hehehe

I would raid the store (gun and Food) then head home and secure the perimeter.

MikePizzoff
26-Dec-2008, 07:58 PM
I would not go to...

The local mall
The local Walmart
The local Home Depot
The closest Military Base
Local Police Departments
Local hospitals

All bad ideas. Places to get shot, bitten, swarmed or pillaged during an outbreak. And half of them are hard to fortify or get 'exclusive' dominion over during an outbreak, in most cases. Now, after an outbreak and a large die off, some of those places might be an option to loot and/or possibly fortify, or you might not be shot outright at an extant military base (maybe...).

Home Depot is a great idea! Every time I'm there, I scope out how easy it would be to fortify. First of all, it was ONE main entrance, which has a giant metal shield that can be pulled down and locked. Then there is plenty of metal/wood/etc inside to really reinforce that entrance.

The back loading docks' doors are made of metal, plus they're like 5-6 feet off the outside ground (zombies can't climb).

Then there's probably one or two small doors for maintenance entrances, but they can easily be bricked over/reinforced from the inside.

After that, you could use all of the left-over wood/metal/whatnot and build a safe living quarters ON TOP of all of the shelves, which would put you about 15 feet in the air, if the zombies ever WERE to somehow get in. From there, you're not far from the ceiling and there are hatches that lead to the roof, so you could use them as your entrance/exit.

It could easily be a palace, in my opinion.

AcesandEights
26-Dec-2008, 08:29 PM
Home Depot is a great idea!

Well, unless you run into some very fortuitous circumstances then you will have a great time with all your new friends (the other people looting the location). Good luck getting them to cooperate with you. Not saying that it couldn't happen, but...I doubt it would work out very prettily.

After an outbreak runs the larger portion of its course and the population drops dramatically or is sealed up in their barricaded homes, I can agree that a location like some Home Depots might be recoverable and good to work with, but I think it would be a death trap to head to the local one near the beginning of an outbreak, barring unusual circumstances such as a highly geographically isolated location...though most big-box retailers aren't that isolated. Perhaps if you or someone you know works there and get in during off-hours at the beginning of an outbreak, but then you'd be 'looting' and be considered an illegal occupant by whatever civil or municipal authorities might still be active.

MikePizzoff
26-Dec-2008, 09:10 PM
Okay okay, you're right. I guess I'd wait it out at the Lowe's Home Improvement until everyone left the Home Depot. :p:moon:

SRP76
26-Dec-2008, 11:07 PM
Well, unless you run into some very fortuitous circumstances then you will have a great time with all your new friends (the other people looting the location). Good luck getting them to cooperate with you. Not saying that it couldn't happen, but...I doubt it would work out very prettily.

Why wouldn't it work? People aren't going to be "looting" a Home Depot. During a zombie outbreak, you don't go, "outta my way, I'm grabbin' a tablesaw and runnin' out with it strapped to my back!"

Anyone running into a place like that will be doing it for the purpose of staying there, not trying to go back out and run a ghoul gaunlet while carrying a sheet of drywall. Which means, they will be doing the exact same thing you are: barricading themselves in.

DawnGirl27
27-Dec-2008, 02:46 PM
I agree. I'd think the majority of people would be wanting guns, not saws, and if you had food and water, Home Depot would be a good place to fortify and sit things out.
I grew up in the country, and my dad still lives out there, so that would most likely be my first choice. It's pretty isolated neighbor-wise, and I know the land/surroundings well. Plus, my dad's pretty stocked with rifles/handguns/ammo. He keeps extra food and water on hand due to the extremes in weather we get (flooding, tornadoes, blizzards) which could make you dependent on what you have on hand.

MikePizzoff
27-Dec-2008, 07:37 PM
I agree. I'd think the majority of people would be wanting guns, not saws, and if you had food and water, Home Depot would be a good place to fortify and sit things out.

I forgot to mention that every time I go to Home Depot I notice that they have TONS of pallets of bottled water. There's also a small amount of food there, but you'd obviously need to bring more from elsewhere. Water would be covered for a great time, however. I'd say there's enough bottled water in most Home Depots to last 4 people AT LEAST a year.

LoneCrusader
30-Jan-2009, 07:14 PM
i would go to my local wal-mart. there's a wal mart in my county that is huge. it would be relatively easy to block off the exits/entrances, and it has plenty of food and even guns and ammo.

(and video games and clothes...)

Thorn
30-Jan-2009, 07:29 PM
As to the people not looting home depot, or it not being a destination for people. I would like to just point out that in tornado and hurricane areas these places are very busy and fights break out over nails/screws and hammers and wood.

You could easily see scenarios where people go to loot them and take stuff to their home to fortify with. Not everyone is a DIY guy and would need to get stuff from somewhere.

I do not think any idea is 100% fool proof. You ware going to run into other people in wall mart, police stations, gun stores, EVEN in the woods. People are everywhere we are worse than cockroaches,

Knowing this you have to use that to your advantage in my opinion and band together with family and friends you trust and pool your resources and make a go of it either on the go or in a safe house.

Either way people will not be easy to avoid. Not in the beginning that part is so very well said. You wont find organized lines in a wall mart if the warnings on the TV and radio are to board yourselves indoors. You are going to be throwing fists with Joe Bob, and his cousin Billy Ray in hardware over the last box of decking screws.

zombiekiller
30-Jan-2009, 08:14 PM
i'm lucky in a way, i live not too far from a mall that has a pro bass shop. they have guns, camping equipment, and the likes. it's also got 2 floors and a fish tank with fish. that's where i would try to get to.