View Full Version : George, you need to call it Twilight...

Mikey
24-Dec-2008, 10:49 PM
of the dead. No one will confuse it with gay vampire movies. Plus, it will push Diarrhea of the Dead off the map if you get back to naming them after times of the night and day.

Yojimbo
25-Dec-2008, 12:50 AM
of the dead. No one will confuse it with gay vampire movies. Plus, it will push Diarrhea of the Dead off the map if you get back to naming them after times of the night and day.
Personally, I think that he should get away from the "of the dead" titles for the current one.

SRP76
25-Dec-2008, 01:02 AM
Just call it Gore and Politics. This accomplishes two things:

1. That's pretty much what his zombie movies are, so it's an appropriate description of what the viewer will be getting.

2. You can cash in on the fools that will blunder into the theater to see it, mistakenly expecting to see an Al Gore documentary, thus swelling the pockets.

AcesandEights
25-Dec-2008, 01:12 AM
That would be a fine title, but I really hope he just runs with it. The product he put out last time was, in my opinion, so damaged that a great title would have been nothing but a let down.

I still hope he can pull off a decent flick and am happy he's still working on films.

Diarrhea of the Dead
:lol: I refrain from using that name out of respect for GAR and the people here who actually like it (well, at least I don't think I've used it before :)) But it is always funny to see.

krakenslayer
25-Dec-2008, 11:55 PM
Shouldn't this all be under the "Play the Name Game" thread?

Anyway, I don't think this movie that should be called Twilight or Dusk of the Dead. I do think they are cool titles and in keeping with the atmosphere and naming conventions of the early movies, but if any movie in the series should have bourne this title then it should have been Land. It was the movie we were all waiting for, for all those years, casually referring to it as Twilight of the Dead. Not only that, it deals with life as the humans are trying to find a way of returning to stability, and ends with the hint of an uneasy truce between humans and the most dangerous factions of the undead; a hint at closure which would be suggested by the Dusk/Twilight title.

This movie, on the other hand, takes place near the start of the outbreak, around the time of Dawn of the Dead. It is not the twilight of anything, let alone the dead. I think they should call it Dead Mourning (a play on words between the "undead family members" plotline and Romero's traditional "time-of-day" naming convention - probably a little too twee to work, though) or maybe The Death of Death (a title Romero used in an unreleased short story, later a little-read comic book he did on spec, and finally for the film-within-a-film in Diary, but which I think is cool enough to warrant being the actual title to this one).

blind2d
27-Dec-2008, 02:41 AM
Glasgow? boffo place, eh! anyhow, yeah, Good old GAR will probably surprise us all with the name... sumfink nobody here has said yet, but'll be just as wicked.

SymphonicX
28-Dec-2008, 12:35 PM
Twilight of the Dead is so seriously the worst title for a zombie movie EVER. There's a reason why Land wasn't called Twilight - it doesn't work!!!

bassman
30-Dec-2008, 01:20 PM
Personally, I think that he should get away from the "of the dead" titles for the current one.

I'm leaning toward this idea as well. There are only so many "of the dead" titles that could work, and seeing as how Romero doesn't branch out into other genres(which I really wish he would do), he's going to run out of options pretty soon.:p

So something new would be welcomed by me. But where's that Tarzan film? From a Buick 8? ANYTHING different?

Yojimbo
30-Dec-2008, 08:36 PM
I'm leaning toward this idea as well. There are only so many "of the dead" titles that could work, and seeing as how Romero doesn't branch out into other genres(which I really wish he would do), he's going to run out of options pretty soon.:p

So something new would be welcomed by me. But where's that Tarzan film? From a Buick 8? ANYTHING different?

The only exception that I am willing to entertain at this point is if he simply calls it "Of The Dead"

Of course, this will mean that he will have to stop using "of the dead" in future titles.

And I am with Bassman: Where the hell is that Tarzan film?

Trin
30-Dec-2008, 09:47 PM
I like "of the Dead" titles. Us old folks we like our traditions and nostalgia.

He should name it "Night of the Non-living Non-dead" and then pound us with message about how the humans aren't really living thier lives anymore.

bigmonkey2582
30-Dec-2008, 10:21 PM
Theres only so many times of day you can use, what about the one after this one? Half-past noon of the dead?

Thorn
02-Jan-2009, 04:20 PM
Frankly I like "of the dead" titles. It ties the films together, and it is tradition. I guess that makes me an old fart as well, or at least a traditionalist. There are only so many times of day I agree, but there are times of the year, or other measurements of time you could use.

There is something that is comforting about the familiar, and it is great as fans to see that. If he started that way, no need to end it another way in my opinion.

I do agree that land should have been called something else, it is just an opinion but I thought that a time measurement or a season, or a combination thereof would have been more appropriate.

PS...

bigmonkey2582 your signature makes me crazy. I have to constantly hide it from view at the office, not telling you what to do with your signature mind you I am just saying...

archivesofthede
06-Jan-2009, 03:04 AM
I was almost thinking it was gonna be Dusk Of The Dead. /shrugs

johnofthedead2
13-Feb-2009, 06:13 PM
Well maybe if you go by the teaser poster, just maybe, the title is actually going to be simply "...of the Dead". Just a thought, I'd kinda dig it.

darth los
13-Feb-2009, 06:17 PM
Well..... after calling Jason Creed's documentary "The Death of Death" :rockbrow: there's no where to go but up.

:cool:

blind2d
13-Feb-2009, 08:30 PM
Yeah... that name really sucked, didn't it? I'd still watch it, though.

ProfessorChaos
13-Feb-2009, 08:51 PM
this looks worse to me than land or diary, from what i've seen so far. how about:

"Diminishing Returns of the Dead"

or

"Still Trying to re-capture the success and cult following of the orignal trilogy of the Dead"

DjfunkmasterG
13-Feb-2009, 08:57 PM
How about, How to make a shitty zombie movie and pass it off as a masterpiece?

I am sorry, but this looks worse than LAND, and LAND was fucking bad IMHO. That trailer just wreaked of total shit. Poorly color corrected, shitty sound fx. it was obviously right off the AVID, and god awful.

That trailer is almost as bad as DAY of the DEAD 2.

Sorry, but I am sitting this one out. I like Diary, and to me the man went out on a high note, and that is that.

Griff
13-Feb-2009, 10:05 PM
How about, How to make a shitty zombie movie and pass it off as a masterpiece?

I am sorry, but this looks worse than LAND, and LAND was fucking bad IMHO. That trailer just wreaked of total shit. Poorly color corrected, shitty sound fx. it was obviously right off the AVID, and god awful.

Sorry, but I am sitting this one out. I like Diary, and to me the man went out on a high note, and that is that.

See ya!

clanglee
14-Feb-2009, 03:37 AM
:lol::lol::lol:

Where does your sig come from Griff. . . that shit's hilarious.

Cartma7546
14-Feb-2009, 04:20 AM

I agree with you that the trailer sucked and I nearly cried (nearly) but Diary the high note? I'm sorry sir but Land was a little bit better in my opinion not to mention the fact that it is the last of the true GAR flims. That gay cloverfield camera angle shit was (but I hope not) prolly a cop out the same way Quarantine did it.

But I'm not going to get in a this over that debate, I just hope the title is something that isn't stupid and twilight doesn't sound to bad but I don't know if T Adkins would like that. Plus like that fellow said up there I don't want GAR movies to be confused with that faggy vampire shit. Of the dead would be nice but original would be a major plus. Just don't make it island of the dead...super gay. Maybe instead of of the dead it could be "Dead (blank)" like how land was going to be dead reckoning. And last but not least I don't want to hear "how do you kill whats already dead?":rant:

Griff
14-Feb-2009, 08:36 AM
Where does your sig come from Griff. . . that shit's hilarious.

Shit. I can't remember! A forum somewhere, I'm sure. Me thinks english wasn't his first language...

MoonSylver
14-Feb-2009, 02:17 PM
That gay cloverfield camera angle shit was (but I hope not) prolly a cop out the same way Quarantine did it.

GHAH! Diary was already in production before Cloverfield. [Rec] too (from which Quarantine was remade), Unfortunate that so many films had to come out so close together using the same technique.

LoneCrusader
15-Feb-2009, 08:48 PM
i know twilight means night, but doesn't it also mean beginning? confusing title. also, gay vampire movie..

DjfunkmasterG
16-Feb-2009, 12:56 AM
I agree with you that the trailer sucked and I nearly cried (nearly) but Diary the high note? I'm sorry sir but Land was a little bit better in my opinion not to mention the fact that it is the last of the true GAR flims. That gay cloverfield camera angle shit was (but I hope not) prolly a cop out the same way Quarantine did it.

But I'm not going to get in a this over that debate, I just hope the title is something that isn't stupid and twilight doesn't sound to bad but I don't know if T Adkins would like that. Plus like that fellow said up there I don't want GAR movies to be confused with that faggy vampire shit. Of the dead would be nice but original would be a major plus. Just don't make it island of the dead...super gay. Maybe instead of of the dead it could be "Dead (blank)" like how land was going to be dead reckoning. And last but not least I don't want to hear "how do you kill whats already dead?":rant:

Oh No sir, LAND was th ebiggest turd ever. At least Diary felt like a zombie film. Land felt like some DTV nasty gone awry.

Harold W Brown
16-Feb-2009, 03:52 PM
That gay cloverfield camera angle

faggy vampire shit.

Just don't make it island of the dead...super gay.

:rolleyes:

clanglee
17-Feb-2009, 05:39 AM
Gay Gay Gay!!! :D;)

Shit. I can't remember! A forum somewhere, I'm sure. Me thinks english wasn't his first language...

Sad thing is Griff. . . english probably IS his first language.

Mike70
17-Feb-2009, 06:34 AM

but...but whatever happened to chocolate man? he was doing what only chocolate man could. that's got to be important work.

ah, come on gary. day of the dead 2???? i really didn't like the look of that trailer either but goodness man, craptagium was... well, fuck for once words fail me. everyone enjoy the silence, it won't last long.

wait- it's already over.

cylon warrior says "look into my eye, gary and repeat after me: i love land of the dead, i love land of the dead, i love land of the dead.
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj126/mikemor70/Photo53.jpg?t=1234856714

darth los
17-Feb-2009, 06:56 PM
I know that we criticize him alot but we probably won't fully appreciate GAR until he passes. Death tends to turn an artists mediocre offerings into classics.

He really is a great, irreplacable talent. I can't think of anyone else like him really. So how about we appreciate him now? C'mon guys he's an old man, cut him some slack, because without him what would the zombie genre be? WAAAAAAAAAAAAAy shittier than it is now i'll tell you that much.

Minerva_Zombi
17-Feb-2009, 07:54 PM
I know that we criticize him alot but we probably won't fully appreciate GAR until he passes. Death tends to turn an artists mediocre offerings into classics.

He really is a great, irreplacable talent. I can't think of anyone else like him really. So how about we appreciate him now? C'mon guys he's an old man, cut him some slack, because without him what would the zombie genre be? WAAAAAAAAAAAAAy shittier than it is now i'll tell you that much.

nobody on these boards are gonna appreciate romero. its not like land and diary are horrible little movies. compare them to other recent zombie flicks. they're fucking magical. he could make gone with the wind with zombies and these douchebags would bitch. "its just not as good as dawn of the dead! wah!"

people on this board praise a piece of garbage like deadlands or zombie diaries. but land of the dead? oh! "thats just the most horrible piece of shit on the planet!" and diary? "fuck that shit! they're not even near a shopping mall!" no matter what, these people will bitch because they have nothing else better to do. :rant:

darth los
17-Feb-2009, 08:07 PM
nobody on these boards are gonna appreciate romero. its not like land and diary are horrible little movies. compare them to other recent zombie flicks. they're fucking magical. he could make gone with the wind with zombies and these douchebags would bitch. "its just not as good as dawn of the dead! wah!"

people on this board praise a piece of garbage like deadlands or zombie diaries. but land of the dead? oh! "thats just the most horrible piece of shit on the planet!" and diary? "fuck that shit! they're not even near a shopping mall!" no matter what, these people will bitch because they have nothing else better to do. :rant:

There's definitetly a big difference between Gar's flick and the rest of the field.

I'm going to assume that the people who are criticizing his films are doing so only when comparing them to other installments in the series. So, in that context I can definitely see where they're coming from. But as I said before, the least of the films in the GAR series is as least as good as what the rest of the field has to offer.

clanglee
17-Feb-2009, 08:39 PM
And then we will bitch about the people that bitch!!!! And those people will bitch about being bitched about bitching!!!! And the seas will turn red with blood!!!!

Cartma7546
17-Feb-2009, 11:19 PM
:rolleyes:

offended? haha i kid i kid:p

darth los
18-Feb-2009, 06:17 PM
And then we will bitch about the people that bitch!!!! And those people will bitch about being bitched about bitching!!!! And the seas will turn red with blood!!!!

While it's true that some people are never satisfied, when someone bad mouth's something that's obviously superior to the rest of the field one has to question their credibility on the subject.

DjfunkmasterG
23-Feb-2009, 05:26 PM

Ok, first off, their is a huge difference between a $10,000 Zombie film, and a $20,000,000 zombie film. When someone has $20 mil at their disposal and turns out a film like LAND on that kind of money, you can't help but stand up and notice things like, where the hell did you spend $20,000,000.

Want a comparison, The DAWN remake cost $26,000,000 and look at that film, it outshines LAND in every aspect. Hell, SHAUN was done on $6,000,000 and that outshines LAND of the DEAD.

Don't drag my films into your rants just to make a point. You cannot compare an apple to an orange, and if you're going to drag my film you better have an argument to back it up. And to clarify something, those who praise or like my films examine and review them from an indie low budget level, not a studio budgeted level.

"Of the Dead" still has a budget of over $5,000,000 and from that teaser I had recently watched even I had to ask where the fuck did $5,000,000 go? that had to be one hell of a cocaine party.

So don't be an asswipe?

MinionZombie
23-Feb-2009, 06:01 PM
Erm, didn't Land of the Dead have a $15 million budget, and also - didn't Land of the Dead get a far poorer exchange rate deal when compared to what Yawn04 got?

To be fair, we've not seen anywhere near enough of "of the Dead" to even start discussing "where the money went" ... and actually, from the clip that Clang posted (despite being dark due to it being filmed off a screen at a convention), it looked quite good with good coverage.

So without seeing a proper representation of how "of the Dead" is going to turn out, we can't judge it - certainly not from that short 'crew trailer' clip which had no final effects added, no sound effects, no music, and no grading, nor any final editing...so to judge it now is far too harsh.

Want a comparison, The DAWN remake cost $26,000,000 and look at that film, it outshines LAND in every aspect. Hell, SHAUN was done on $6,000,000 and that outshines LAND of the DEAD.

In your opinion - let's make that clear. ;)

Agreed though, a film made for ten gee's in an indie fashion cannot be compared to a multi-million-dollar studio-led film, it's not the same league. It'd be like comparing a Formula Four driver to Schumacher.

Minerva_Zombi
23-Feb-2009, 06:45 PM
well, frankly i was wondering where the 10,000 dollars went myself. lol. when i watched your film it looked like you spent way too much money on effects and make up when you should've hired some real actors. because the fat lady, the fat dude, the guitar store burnout, and the guy with the mullet was just painful to watch. my opinion. and the dawn remake outshines nothing. its mindless ass juice.

krakenslayer
23-Feb-2009, 07:40 PM
"Of the Dead" still has a budget of over $5,000,000 and from that teaser I had recently watched even I had to ask where the fuck did $5,000,000 go?

Could you pull of a set piece involving National Guardsmen stealing a large zombie infested ferry on a $10k budget? I suspect that scene alone would cost more than your budget.

Honestly, what do you want for $5m? Yeah, you did a pretty decent job on $10k, I'll give you that, but don't think that means you're qualified to pass judgement on the budgeting of ...of the Dead, since as far as I am aware you have no experience of organising a full-scale, industry production. It's one thing making a movie guerilla-style with no permits and just a bunch of eager friends and film student acquaintances who're willing to work for nothing or thereabouts to help you see your project come to fruition, it's something else entirely to deal with a professional, unionised cast and crew, working within the tight regulation of the industry.

If you think about the actors fees (including the 80-100 zombies, who will be getting paid a minimum of about $70 a day - that's all of Deadlands 2's budget in one day), licensed stunt performers' fees, car ferry purchase/hire, film permits (including permission to close roads and public places temporarily), hire of privately-owned property, building of sets, hiring of studio facilities, hire/purchase of cameras/sound/lighting equipment, full unionised film crew, transportation hire/fuel costs, hire/transportation of horses and other livestock, hire of animal handlers, prosthetic/practical effects guys' fees, pyrotechnics and pyrotechnician's fees, CGI/optical effects, armorers' fees, on-set security, on-set medics, production insurance, full catering facilities and up to three meals a day for every actor/zombie/crew member on set...

Now of course, if you were making ...of the Dead, you wouldn't have to pay for half of this stuff (you'd call on favours, shoot without permits, buy lunch at MacDonald's, not bother with stunt doubles, etc.), but Romero doesn't have that luxury because he works within the industry.

DjfunkmasterG
23-Feb-2009, 10:21 PM
Erm, didn't Land of the Dead have a $15 million budget, and also - didn't Land of the Dead get a far poorer exchange rate deal when compared to what Yawn04 got?

To be fair, we've not seen anywhere near enough of "of the Dead" to even start discussing "where the money went" ... and actually, from the clip that Clang posted (despite being dark due to it being filmed off a screen at a convention), it looked quite good with good coverage.

So without seeing a proper representation of how "of the Dead" is going to turn out, we can't judge it - certainly not from that short 'crew trailer' clip which had no final effects added, no sound effects, no music, and no grading, nor any final editing...so to judge it now is far too harsh.

In your opinion - let's make that clear. ;)

Agreed though, a film made for ten gee's in an indie fashion cannot be compared to a multi-million-dollar studio-led film, it's not the same league. It'd be like comparing a Formula Four driver to Schumacher.

I was referring to the AFM trailer that was posted on Bloody Disgusting some time ago. i haven't watched Clang's clip yet so my opinion my change. However, based ont he clip I had watched, "Of the Dead" looked terrible.

In regards to Land's Budget, originally slated at $15,000,000 the film went over budget around XMAS 04, when Romero supposedly walked off the set due to creative differences with producers, which was all BS. it was the last day of shooting and there was no more money left.

Because many shots were incomplete and a rough cut had a gap of over 40 minutes with no Zombies, UNIVERSAL ponied up an additional $3,000,000 to finance the zombies coming to the wooden wall, where the butcher chops at the wood, The gag where the zombies pull that guys head off his torso and you see his spine and everything come out in shadow, and some CGI shots and a reshoot of the zombies attacking the fence area, and the bridge scene.

Before the films release Universal ponied up an additional $2,000,000 more to complete full post production to get it out for the summer release expecting it to be big because of the success of the DAWN remake. Universal however, did not invest the original $15,000,000. Land was indie financed by Atmosphere Pictures, with a distribution deal in place by Warner Brothers originally, but Universal picked it up later.

My source is my contact in the marketing department at Universal whom I worked with through my DAWN 04 info gathering days.

well, frankly i was wondering where the 10,000 dollars went myself. lol. when i watched your film it looked like you spent way too much money on effects and make up when you should've hired some real actors. because the fat lady, the fat dude, the guitar store burnout, and the guy with the mullet was just painful to watch. my opinion. and the dawn remake outshines nothing. its mindless ass juice.

Where did $10K go? Well, I had to buy the equipment... $6,000.00 - 7,000.00. Which included Camera, Lights, boom mics, and other small things here and there. Get insurance to close the road to stage the traffic jam, $1000.00. Pay a rental fee to use the hall as a mini rescue shelter, $125 per night, 4 nights of shooting, and additional money to buy a LAPTOP to use a video playback system, not too mention the need to upgrade my PC to handle the video editing and finally $1200 for make-up FX and food to feed everyone.

While yes I used friends, which was the best thing I had at the moment, and a choice I do not regret in the slightest, i was new to the Baltimore/DC indie film scene and only started meeting people after the fact. Once I put together a list of actors and what not, I planned casting calls for Deadlands 2, which outshinces in every aspect everything about Deadlands 1.

However, again... Don't try to compare my films to studio budgeted projects. it makes you look like an ass and even shows you yourself do not have the slightest clue about the industry. While I may not be George Romero, he is one of my inspirations, and I am sorry I am not going to kiss his ass or anyone elses who makes a crappy film with $20,000,000 at their disposal. I am a true fan and I will call it as I see it. LAND was a piece of shit. a $20,000,000 piece of shit.

Could you pull of a set piece involving National Guardsmen stealing a large zombie infested ferry on a $10k budget? I suspect that scene alone would cost more than your budget.

Honestly, what do you want for $5m? Yeah, you did a pretty decent job on $10k, I'll give you that, but don't think that means you're qualified to pass judgement on the budgeting of ...of the Dead, since as far as I am aware you have no experience of organising a full-scale, industry production. It's one thing making a movie guerilla-style with no permits and just a bunch of eager friends and film student acquaintances who're willing to work for nothing or thereabouts to help you see your project come to fruition, it's something else entirely to deal with a professional, unionised cast and crew, working within the tight regulation of the industry.

If you think about the actors fees (including the 80-100 zombies, who will be getting paid a minimum of about $70 a day - that's all of Deadlands 2's budget in one day), licensed stunt performers' fees, car ferry purchase/hire, film permits (including permission to close roads and public places temporarily), hire of privately-owned property, building of sets, hiring of studio facilities, hire/purchase of cameras/sound/lighting equipment, full unionised film crew, transportation hire/fuel costs, hire/transportation of horses and other livestock, hire of animal handlers, prosthetic/practical effects guys' fees, pyrotechnics and pyrotechnician's fees, CGI/optical effects, armorers' fees, on-set security, on-set medics, production insurance, full catering facilities and up to three meals a day for every actor/zombie/crew member on set...

Now of course, if you were making ...of the Dead, you wouldn't have to pay for half of this stuff (you'd call on favours, shoot without permits, buy lunch at MacDonald's, not bother with stunt doubles, etc.), but Romero doesn't have that luxury because he works within the industry.

Very true Kraken, however, Minerva is trying to compare a $10K flick to a $20M flick. My problem with OTD is that a teaser was released, with very crappy editing, sound mix and some other questionable elements. it is obvious you can tell the film needs tons of polishing work, but from what the trailer represents it doesn't look good. Now if I see the film and it turns out to be a good movie, fine I will eat crow, but from what i see it looks like shit.

Most people hate Diary, and I thought that looked ten times better than OTD, and that only had a 2.5m budget, plus I enjoyed Diary, because it was more rooted in Romero's guerrilla style, ala NIGHT.

Also be clear on something in regards to permits. For both Deadlands films, when permits were required I did get them. The only permit I could not get was the shots I did in Baltimore city from Federal Hill. Otherwise both productions were fully covered on every legal aspect in terms of shooting on location (traffic Jam in Deadlands 1, City block closed in Deadlands 2).

Also, someone mentioned a tax break change? That didn't come in Canada until mid 2005, and LAND was shot by then. They received equal tax breaks as the DAWN remake. Speaking of the DAWN remake, that would have had a $40,000,000 budget had House of the Dead not tanked, or I should say turned out shitty. The original DAWN remake script by Michael Tolkin had them Carpet bombing major cities to deal with the zombie infection.

clanglee
23-Feb-2009, 10:51 PM
I realise it's a bit dark, but trust me, the clip I posted in the other thread will make you feel a bit better about the new film.

Edison Carter
23-Feb-2009, 10:54 PM
GAR has to milk u dummies!
To make up for what he gave as bribe to the Canadian's to admit him as refugee.
If you don't go see it he will be kicked out
of Canada since he wont have $ to pay his
cargo off.

Minerva_Zombi
24-Feb-2009, 07:01 AM
i still feel you wasted money making deadlands. honestly i could've made that movie with 500 dollars. and frankly, if you had 20,000,000 dollars at ur disposal, im sure you would produce a giant turd as well. remember, the more money you have in hollywood, the more fingers you have in the pie and the more eyes you have watching you. its actually easier to make something interesting on a showstring budget than a large budget. See the film Primer for an example. i think they had like 10,000 at their disposal. its miles beyond your film. deadlands added nothing new to the genre and really had nothing going on through most of the film. land of the dead is a very interesting, well-written, and entertaining film with good concepts and ideas. deadlands... not so much. :p

Neil
24-Feb-2009, 09:07 AM
See the film Primer for an example. i think they had like 10,000 at their disposal.

I think it far less than that!?

MinionZombie
24-Feb-2009, 09:37 AM
I realise it's a bit dark, but trust me, the clip I posted in the other thread will make you feel a bit better about the new film.
Indeed.

And Deej - if when you say the "AFM" trailer on BD or whatever, as the roughly-cobbled together crew trailer which had no effects, no sound, no music, no grading, and a vague assembly of disconnected footage ... then that's hardly at all fair to judge the final film on.

But then you hated Land and Diary, so I'm not surprised you're blasting "of the Dead".

DjfunkmasterG
24-Feb-2009, 11:46 AM
i still feel you wasted money making deadlands. honestly i could've made that movie with 500 dollars. and frankly, if you had 20,000,000 dollars at ur disposal, im sure you would produce a giant turd as well. remember, the more money you have in hollywood, the more fingers you have in the pie and the more eyes you have watching you. its actually easier to make something interesting on a showstring budget than a large budget. See the film Primer for an example. i think they had like 10,000 at their disposal. its miles beyond your film. deadlands added nothing new to the genre and really had nothing going on through most of the film. land of the dead is a very interesting, well-written, and entertaining film with good concepts and ideas. deadlands... not so much. :p

So you can make it for $500.00 Ok Sir, you go and do that and I will PERSONALLY reimburse you the $500 once I see the film, as a remake, with the same exact set pieces. Including closing a 4 lane road and setting up a massive traffic jam.

Since you have a big mouth, time to put up or shut up.

You wanna act like Billy Badass, well lets see what you're made of man.

Interms of bringing nothing new to the genre... it was not my intent to do so. My intent was to make a zombie film that paid homage to the genre, but shooting scenes not found in previous zombie films, like the traffic jam, so in essence, yes it did bring something new in terms of a location, but overall zombie theory, no, I found it better to cover a subject matter with what makes people comfortable.

Everytime someone does something new people have a cow. Running zombies for example, while I did use them, people had a cow when that came about. So please get off your high horse and come back to reality.

Just for you Minerva: http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?p=179697#post179697 (MINERVA ZOMBIE DEADLANDS CHALLENGE)

Indeed.

And Deej - if when you say the "AFM" trailer on BD or whatever, as the roughly-cobbled together crew trailer which had no effects, no sound, no music, no grading, and a vague assembly of disconnected footage ... then that's hardly at all fair to judge the final film on.

But then you hated Land and Diary, so I'm not surprised you're blasting "of the Dead".

I did not hate Diary. I gave it an 8 out of 10 in my original review.

mista_mo
24-Feb-2009, 03:02 PM
since when was land a bad film?

I don't understand all this turd throwing, bad word using, ego stroking circle jerk that goes on with this film.

I realize that it is all someones opinion, but 90% of all the hate about this film just seems unwarranted and really trivial stuff no one should really give 6 flying clits about.

DjfunkmasterG
24-Feb-2009, 03:17 PM
In terms of what it should have been, yes, it was bad. When I say Land is bad, I am comparing it to the previous 3 films. Land had nothing that made those films great. I don't compare Land to films like Shawshank, Pulp Fiction etc. I only compare GAR films to other zombie or GAR films.

Was it as bad as House of the Dead, Contagium, Day 08, or Resident Evil 2, no, but it was pretty much bottom of the barrel in terms of multi million dollar zombie flicks.

GAR has to milk u dummies!
To make up for what he gave as bribe to the Canadian's to admit him as refugee.
If you don't go see it he will be kicked out
of Canada since he wont have $ to pay his
cargo off.

You remind me of DC BURNY.

GAR is milking no one. I am a zombie film fan, and I am sorry but in terms of his previous work I will not praise a flick just because his name is stamped on it. Nor will I just hand him money for the sake of handing it over. I go to see zombie films for the genre I love. Whether it be him, Zack Snyder, whoever... The only people milking us are the studios, not the filmmakers.

capncnut
25-Feb-2009, 08:35 AM
i still feel you wasted money making deadlands. honestly i could've made that movie with 500 dollars. and frankly, if you had 20,000,000 dollars at ur disposal, im sure you would produce a giant turd as well.
And I could remake your Halloween flick for two cents. :rolleyes:

Seriously, what gives you the right to attack someone like that when you've produced quite possibly the worst homemade flick I've seen on this forum (and believe me, I've seen a shitload). I mean, DJ will be the first to admit that Deadlands: The Rising isn't Ben-Hur, so give it a rest and stop baiting.

Mike70
25-Feb-2009, 12:55 PM

Seriously, what gives you the right to attack someone like that when you've produced quite possibly the worst homemade flick I've seen on this forum (and believe me, I've seen a shitload). I mean, DJ will be the first to admit that Deadlands: The Rising isn't Ben-Hur, so give it a rest and stop baiting.

i'll say 1 cent and a twix candy bar. that was epic level gash.

what gives him the right? he's a 20 year old know-it-all, who in reality doesn't know shit - that's what gives him the right. isn't youth cute?

mista_mo
25-Feb-2009, 01:50 PM
i'll say 1 cent and a twix candy bar. that was epic level gash.

what gives him the right? he's a 20 year old know-it-all, who in reality doesn't know shit - that's what gives him the right. isn't youth cute?

am i included in that as well?

Mike70
25-Feb-2009, 05:44 PM
am i included in that as well?

no chris, you're not. my comments were specific to one person and don't apply to anyone else.

feeling paranoid today?:D

darth los
25-Feb-2009, 07:11 PM

Yeah, that's true. You don't hear talk like that around here very often anymore.

But yeah, I do the same. I compare Land to the other three and that's why i think it sucks. However, Not withstanding that it's in the argument as the next best zombie film out there along with Dawn 04' and ROTLD. And you can take that to the bank. :thumbsup:

Mike70
25-Feb-2009, 07:31 PM

the style of post sort of reminds me of bongholio with shades of dc burny aka svengoolie. anyhoo, good riddance to both those pieces of rubbish

MoonSylver
25-Feb-2009, 08:38 PM
no chris, you're not. my comments were specific to one person and don't apply to anyone else.

feeling paranoid today?:D

Mo just wants to hear how cute he is...yes yer a cutie-wootie-patootie :o:kiss::o....:lol::moon:

Yeah, that's true. You don't hear talk like that around here very often anymore.

Yeah, I'm startin' to have 'nam flashbacks from reading this thread.

Minerva_Zombi
27-Feb-2009, 07:22 AM

Thank you for making my point for me. I made my film for 100 bucks. IF that. Deadlands. 10,000 bucks. But you will still measure my film to his just as I will measure his to Land. A film is a film. Money is not an issue. If a film is good, it's good. If it's bad it's bad. In my opinion, Deadlands is horrible. But, I guarantee you if you give me 10,000 bucks, I could make a film 20 times better than Deadlands.

capncnut
27-Feb-2009, 09:12 AM
I made my film for 100 bucks. IF that.
So it came in $99 over budget then. :rolleyes:

But, I guarantee you if you give me 10,000 bucks, I could make a film 20 times better than Deadlands.
Well, you better get yourself $10,000 and show us 'cos until then you're just wasting everybody's time with this, I'm afraid.

Edit: Oh, and when exactly did I compare your flick to Deadlands?

MoonSylver
27-Feb-2009, 12:10 PM
But, I guarantee you if you give me 10,000 bucks, I could make a film 20 times better than Deadlands.

We're still waiting to see the version of it you could make "as good as" for $500...:lol:

Plus Deej did it on his own, & than includes getting the money together. So nobody is gonna just give you the money. If you're sincere about this, go get the money & deliver the goods. Otherwise, it's all hyperbole & talk.

DjfunkmasterG
27-Feb-2009, 04:49 PM
Thank you for making my point for me. I made my film for 100 bucks. IF that. Deadlands. 10,000 bucks. But you will still measure my film to his just as I will measure his to Land. A film is a film. Money is not an issue. If a film is good, it's good. If it's bad it's bad. In my opinion, Deadlands is horrible. But, I guarantee you if you give me 10,000 bucks, I could make a film 20 times better than Deadlands.

In all of this I realized you're just an asshole, loudmouth who can't put up, nor will you shut up.

You claimed you could do better on $500.00, we're still waiting. So either back-up your talk or go play on the kiddie forums. Honestly you ruined any credibility you had when you started talking shit about my film considering yours isn't that great either.

Here is the main thing you see to forget Minerva, I know Deadlands 1 isn't the best it could be, however, people enjoy it. If someone who had no say or position in the filmmkaing process actually comes back and says something positiive about it, especially critics, who for the most part liked the film, then so be it.

However, I am not going to let some snot nosed prick sit here and tell me he can do better when his own $100 REMAKE of HALLOWEEN isn't fit to even be used as an example of $100 film budgeting/ film making. You talked about me bringing nothing new to the horror genre, shit, Mine was more original. I didn't do a remake of a horror icon and fuck it up.

All that KFC you're eating must be rotting your brain. :D

I find it kind of funny you waited until I pulled down the challenge post to come in here and run off at the mouth. Whats the matter, you were on HPOTD everyday it was up and only now you say something after I decided to take it down and cut you some slack, considering another member also asked in interest of misunderstandings for you being Young and stupid.

You are just a gutless worm. So either put up or shut up.

So either take the challenge or go over to Zombie-Nation, they seem to enjoy bashing my flicks, and since you like t do it you will find yourself in better company.

Mike70
27-Feb-2009, 05:02 PM
All that KFC you're eating must be rotting your brain. :D

you know they put something in it that makes you crave it fortnightly.:D

considering another member also asked in interest of misunderstandings for you being Young and stupid.

i think you've hit the nail on the head - young and stupid. i would be willing to cut minerva some slack but his comments are so nasty most times and expose such a disgusting level of youthful hubris that i really have no sympathy left for him.

and Mo, before you get paranoid - i don't think all the young people around here are stupid and arrogant. in fact a couple of you (i'm not going to mention any names) are among the best and most responsible members this forum has. it's the bozos that just have to be keyboard warriors and run off at the mouth instead of finding a tactful way of offering criticism that i find irritating.

anyway, if the HPOTD zombie short film challenge comes together, everyone who wants to will be able to show us what they are capable of.

bassman
27-Feb-2009, 05:06 PM
it's the bozos that just have to be keyboard warriors and run off at the mouth instead of finding a tactful way of offering criticism that i find irritating.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/docs/internetdickwad.jpg

DjfunkmasterG
27-Feb-2009, 06:19 PM
i think you've hit the nail on the head - young and stupid. i would be willing to cut minerva some slack but his comments are so nasty most times and expose such a disgusting level of youthful hubris that i really have no sympathy left for him.

and Mo, before you get paranoid - i don't think all the young people around here are stupid and arrogant. in fact a couple of you (i'm not going to mention any names) are among the best and most responsible members this forum has. it's the bozos that just have to be keyboard warriors and run off at the mouth instead of finding a tactful way of offering criticism that i find irritating.

Yes, there are some awesome members here who are young, 20 or less.

anyway, if the HPOTD zombie short film challenge comes together, everyone who wants to will be able to show us what they are capable of.

It is coming along, Neil seems interested, and I did already inquire about some possible judges. Hopefully we can kick it off by March 15th 2009.

Mike70
27-Feb-2009, 08:02 PM
It is coming along, Neil seems interested, and I did already inquire about some possible judges. Hopefully we can kick it off by March 15th 2009.

BOO! let the forum judge the contest. why should anyone who isn't going to submit a film care or pay attention to this contest if they can't help to pick the winner? we've all seen enough zombie films and films in general to be able to tell a good one from a bad one. it isn't ancient greek philology or a history of the marian reforms in relation to the land laws proposed by the Gracchi for Poseidon's sake.

EDIT: i changed this around a bit due to a poor choice of words.

darth los
27-Feb-2009, 08:07 PM
BOOOO! a panel of judges is a shit way of handling something like this, a real shit way. involve the entire forum in it, have a blind viewing or don't do it at all. why should anyone who isn't going to submit a film care or pay attention to this contest if they can't help to pick the winner? we've all seen enough zombie films and films in general to be able to tell a good one from a bad one. it isn't ancient greek philology or a history of the marian reforms in relation to the land laws proposed by the Gracchi for Poseidon's sake.

Boy you are just firing on all cylyders today huh?

I agree, open it up to the members that contribute to the forum. But Not those who sign up and we never hear from agian.

I smell a poll question. But it would probably be irrelevant because neil has the final say anyway.

Mike70
27-Feb-2009, 08:23 PM
Boy you are just firing on all cylyders today huh?

:lol:

no, actually this is about half throttle. i can't seem to get really fired anymore since my sweetie khardis got banned.:D

just realized that i threw part of my dissertation title into that last post. the subconscious mind at work.