PDA

View Full Version : My musings on "Mirrors"...

MinionZombie
27-Dec-2008, 10:34 AM
http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2008/12/my-musings-on-mirrors.html

Yep ... mmm-hmmm.

Danny
27-Dec-2008, 07:26 PM
oh god, this was so bad i really laughed all the way through, it left nothing to the imagination. do we get an establishing kill?, yep. a shot of a paper to get around explaining a reason why the protagonists there?, you betcha.

i think i posted about it on here before but that was the worst movie i saw this year bar none.

MikePizzoff
27-Dec-2008, 07:48 PM
Yeah ... pretty decent. Nothing to write home about, but not a complete travesty either.

:barf: The only thing about this movie that was decent were the sets they used. That's just my opinion.

MinionZombie
28-Dec-2008, 10:54 AM
Interesting you should mention the newspapers thing.

While it can be a bit of a cheat, it does get across a lot of information quickly, that isn't necessarily easy to work into the actual plot - seeing as the papers themselves provide story information. Plot and Story being two different things in a film.

It depends on how they're used really, it was perhaps a smidge too much in Mirrors, but it can work, it just depends on how its executed.

EvilNed
28-Dec-2008, 12:15 PM
It depends on how they're used really, it was perhaps a smidge too much in Mirrors, but it can work, it just depends on how its executed.

Agreed. Most, if not all, films actually use a similar device. Be it a letter, a newspaper, an audio recording or just one character explaining to someone else.

MinionZombie
28-Dec-2008, 09:46 PM
Agreed. Most, if not all, films actually use a similar device. Be it a letter, a newspaper, an audio recording or just one character explaining to someone else.
Exactly, it's just an easy - sometimes visually interested - way of getting a lot of background "story stuff" out of the way efficiently, it's even used in games - such as Gears of War 2 (that I've recently started playing) - or Doom 3 liberally used it what with the constant barrage of audio recordings and PDA text...and BioShock had the audio recordings throughout the entire game.

It's purely down to execution ... and in Mirrors, it's a bit standard, but necessary ... in fact they could have done with it a bit earlier.

bassman
29-Dec-2008, 03:11 PM
There's no way i'm going to put myself through this kind of torture. It was pretty obvious to me when I saw the trailer that it would blow rhino balls.

MinionZombie
29-Dec-2008, 07:06 PM
There's no way i'm going to put myself through this kind of torture. It was pretty obvious to me when I saw the trailer that it would blow rhino balls.
Now that's a big, fat pair of nuts right there. :eek:

FAR bigger than a goat's...:shifty:

:lol: