PDA

View Full Version : Anyone playing Left 4 Dead on a PC?

tkane18
31-Dec-2008, 05:51 PM
I know a bunch of you are playing on Xbox but I just wanted to find out if there are any PC players here.
If so, leave a post here or look me up on Steam (same user name, tkane18).

3pidemiC
31-Dec-2008, 08:57 PM
PC > XBOX. Anytime. Anywhere.

Don't understand why so many people play it on the 360. Ah well...

Steam = Flesheatingzombie@msn.com

Neil
31-Dec-2008, 10:21 PM
PC > XBOX. Anytime. Anywhere.

Don't understand why so many people play it on the 360. Ah well...

Steam = Flesheatingzombie@msn.com

Because you have to spend 4x the amount on a PC...

Tricky
01-Jan-2009, 06:57 PM
PC is far more versatile & worth every penny though,but we've had this argument in other threads :lol:
Havent got left 4 dead yet,but if i see it reduced in the sales il pick it up!

Neil
01-Jan-2009, 07:08 PM
PC is far more versatile & worth every penny though,but we've had this argument in other threads :lol:

Maybe... But 4X the amount is a lot!

I can certainly see the sense in saving a LOT of money and buying a console to play your games...

3pidemiC
01-Jan-2009, 09:03 PM
*bangs on table*

de-bate! de-bate! de-bate! de-bate!

tkane18
01-Jan-2009, 11:04 PM

If you buy it through the Steam store, it's on sale right now for $37.49 through January 2nd.

kidgloves
03-Jan-2009, 06:19 PM
Maybe... But 4X the amount is a lot!

I can certainly see the sense in saving a LOT of money and buying a console to play your games...

Also being able to settle back on the sofa, wireless controller in one hand, beer in the other. Big screen, surround sound, no driver/equipment issues. No thoughts about how to mod/exploit the game. Just enjoyment from playing the game how it was intended
:D:D

EvilNed
03-Jan-2009, 09:34 PM
Also being able to settle back on the sofa, wireless controller in one hand, beer in the other. Big screen, surround sound, no driver/equipment issues. No thoughts about how to mod/exploit the game. Just enjoyment from playing the game how it was intended
:D:D

Funny... Because all of those things, I can do on my PC. :evil:

Neil
04-Jan-2009, 06:35 AM
Funny... Because all of those things, I can do on my PC. :evil:

So basically the same experience, but at 4x the price...

I'm a PC gamer myself... But consoles are sooo cheap in comparison, and more trouble free. So I can see the attraction!

Tricky
04-Jan-2009, 10:26 AM
I paid about £1200 for my current PC, which although quite a lot of cash,isnt as much as you console gamers eventually start paying out when you account for your surround sound system,42" TV etc.I know quite a few people who bought PS3's & 360's & spent a grand or more on a HDTV at the same time to go with it!

capncnut
04-Jan-2009, 11:32 AM
I paid about £1200 for my current PC, which although quite a lot of cash,isnt as much as you console gamers eventually start paying out when you account for your surround sound system,42" TV etc.I know quite a few people who bought PS3's & 360's & spent a grand or more on a HDTV at the same time to go with it!
Well, not really. The TV and surround sound is optional. Games consoles will work on any old telly (and PC monitor if you shell out £15 for the cable). The £1200 you paid for your PC was a basic requirement.

EvilNed
04-Jan-2009, 01:02 PM
So basically the same experience, but at 4x the price...

Well, actually like 4x the experience, for 3x the price. Oh yes, sweetness of mods...

Tricky
04-Jan-2009, 05:26 PM
Well, not really. The TV and surround sound is optional. Games consoles will work on any old telly (and PC monitor if you shell out £15 for the cable). The £1200 you paid for your PC was a basic requirement.

Aye,but in todays "must have everything even if i cant afford it" times most people buy the huge flat TV & stereo system,i dont know anybody who is playing their current generation console on a 14" portable to be fair,then they wonder why there is a credit crunch.....:stunned:

3pidemiC
04-Jan-2009, 06:20 PM
Well, actually like 4x the experience, for 3x the price. Oh yes, sweetness of mods...

Don't forget, probably the most important contributed to the superiority of the multiplayer experience on the PC: DEDICATED SERVERS. None of this "Temporary Hosts" crap that you see on consoles. And...Server mods! Turning off and adding special features makes the experience a lot better. Console's multiplayer setup is a joke (not to say that I don't use it though.).

Neil
04-Jan-2009, 06:56 PM
Now if only they'd sort out the STUPID MENU system... So you want to play a versus game of the 'No Mercy' campaign.

Select - Play Versus
Select - Play Online
Select - Campaign 'No Mercy'
Select - Find a game in progress
....get a problem (eg: already enough players)...

You're returned to the top level menu again so you go thru:-
Select - Play Versus
Select - Play Online
Select - Campaign 'No Mercy'
Select - Find a game in progress
....get another problem

...repeat the whole process again.

The UI should ALWAYS just return you to the last screen you were on, where ever you started/initiated a game from. It's a diabolical piece of design!

I can't see a single reason to return you to the top level, instead of leaving you where you were with the same options selected! I'm going to report it as a bug!

EvilNed
04-Jan-2009, 07:18 PM
Don't forget, probably the most important contributed to the superiority of the multiplayer experience on the PC: DEDICATED SERVERS. None of this "Temporary Hosts" crap that you see on consoles. And...Server mods! Turning off and adding special features makes the experience a lot better. Console's multiplayer setup is a joke (not to say that I don't use it though.).

Exactly. Online play is definetly superior on PCs, as well as most multiplayer games are better on the PC.

CoinReturn
04-Jan-2009, 07:50 PM
Valve's got the right idea. They've got dedicated servers for Left 4 Dead on PC as well as 360. Just wish more games on consoles supported it.

As far as the L4D menu system, I create my own room by choosing "play game with friends", starting my own room, and switching the preferences to "Public". That way you can choose the difficulty and stage without any hassle, and players flow in usually within a minute.

kidgloves
04-Jan-2009, 11:16 PM
Aye,but in todays "must have everything even if i cant afford it" times most people buy the huge flat TV & stereo system,i dont know anybody who is playing their current generation console on a 14" portable to be fair,then they wonder why there is a credit crunch.....:stunned:

So can I assume that your playing games on your £1200 PC with a mouse and keyboard hunched over a desk and slowly working your way to a RSI injury then?

Mike70
05-Jan-2009, 02:23 AM
i don't why this is but the only games i enjoy playing on PC are strategy games like Rome: Total War (aka computer crack). other than that i much prefer game consoles, again i don't really know why. maybe because i am from the first generation of gamers (my first game systems were the old magnavox odyssey, atari, and colecovision) and that i grew up playing great games on consoles long before i ever had a PC.

3pidemiC
05-Jan-2009, 06:21 AM
I did too (starting with the original NES), but I still now prefer PC gaming.

LoSTBoY
07-Jan-2009, 01:52 PM
So can I assume that your playing games on your £1200 PC with a mouse and keyboard hunched over a desk and slowly working your way to a RSI injury then?

Not only playing but creating/editing/watching/downloading music/videos/pictures. :p

No hunching or RSI for me, my monitor is above eye level and I have a gel wrist rest.

Tbh, the amount of money I've saved with torrents has paid for my computer and over. :shifty:

Anyway, who is up for some PC Left 4 dead?

Neil you have still to accept my friend invite.

I've done most achievements and am looking to complete the campaigns on expert.

Neil
07-Jan-2009, 02:47 PM
Neil you have still to accept my friend invite
What's your steam id...

I get loads of invites, so unless I know who it is I ignore them...

tkane18
07-Jan-2009, 05:22 PM
Wow...quite a discussion!
And all I wanted to know was who else plays the game on a PC.

LoSTBoY
08-Jan-2009, 09:46 AM
What's your steam id...

I get loads of invites, so unless I know who it is I ignore them...

It's 'banokles'.

Should I send the invite again?

3pidemiC
08-Jan-2009, 08:15 PM
Me = zombi

Flesheatingzombie@msn.com

^^^ADD?

Neil
09-Jan-2009, 08:28 AM
It's 'banokles'.

Should I send the invite again?

Yes...