PDA

View Full Version : Gran Torino - One of Clint's Best - A DjfunkmasterG Review

DjfunkmasterG
02-Jan-2009, 04:11 AM
Just caught this, and Wow, what a powerful film. Its a cross between a Dirty Harry flick, and Heartbreak Ridge. it is also apowerful mentor story.

Eastwood, plays Walt Kowaloski, a recent widower and former korean war vet who is firmly stuck in his old ways. When his next door neighbor, a young Hmung named Thao is accosted by the local Hmung gang and coerced into stealing Walts prized possession, his 1972 Torino, and caught in the act, Walt befriends the boy and his family, then takes it upon himself to protect the community dirty harry style.

The story turns surprisingly dark when the gang retaliates, and Walt finds himself the sole protector for a community in the grasp of a crisis.

This is powerful, stuff, but not for the faint of heart. Walt is a racist mean SOB, but thats how those hardcore old time vets are so beware.

Also, Clint used unknown Hmung actors and actresses so a lot of the acting can be a bit uneven, but when you look at the context of the overall film you will seriously overlook its flaws.

A-. Great, Classic Eastwood at his best.

SRP76
02-Jan-2009, 04:23 AM
I'm definitely planning on seeing this movie. Other than Diary of the Dead, it's about the only movie in the past 5 years or so that I actually look forward to seeing.

DjfunkmasterG
02-Jan-2009, 04:31 AM
Just be warned SRP, it is one of the most UN-PC films made in the last 20+ years, and it does run a little uneven at times because of the very much unknown and un-experienced cast. However, the moral of the overall story will give you chills down your spine.

Yojimbo
02-Jan-2009, 04:36 PM
Agree DJ, one of Eastwoods best. Funny thing, I am usually a guy who comes off as pretty reactionary when it comes to racial epithets, however the racism shown by Eastwoods character didn't offend me. Perhaps it was because he came off as an equal opportunity racist - the character seems to hate practically everyone regardless of race and in that sense he seems somewhat colorblind (if you can get past all of his epithets towards Asians, Jews, Polish, Catholics, Blacks, etc)

Powerful movie, worthy of permanent collection status.

Neil
02-Jan-2009, 06:51 PM
Not even heard of this film...

Eastwood has some real talent in front and behind the camera!

capncnut
02-Jan-2009, 06:53 PM
Eastwood has some real talent in front and behind the camera!
Unforgiven case in point. Hackman was a badass! :cool:

ProfessorChaos
02-Jan-2009, 07:06 PM
thanks for the review, DJ. looking forward to this one, oh yes.

AcesandEights
02-Jan-2009, 07:53 PM
I hear this is great, but it looks like Clint's main character gives Big Daddy a run for his money in the growling department :rolleyes:

MoonSylver
02-Jan-2009, 10:25 PM
Nice. I'm looking forward to seeing this one. I think Clint is an amazing talent. One would not have guessed the depth of the man based on some of his early work (as great as it was), & it's really shown through even more as he's gotten older. "Dirty Harry meets Heartbreak Ridge" eh? That was the vibe I got, with shades of "Unforgiven" as well.

DjfunkmasterG
02-Jan-2009, 10:48 PM
Nice. I'm looking forward to seeing this one. I think Clint is an amazing talent. One would not have guessed the depth of the man based on some of his early work (as great as it was), & it's really shown through even more as he's gotten older. "Dirty Harry meets Heartbreak Ridge" eh? That was the vibe I got, with shades of "Unforgiven" as well.

I never thought of the unforgiven connection, but you know, yeah you can chalk that one on the board too.

Dirty Harry Meets an Unforgiven Heartbreak Ridge.

Agree DJ, one of Eastwoods best. Funny thing, I am usually a guy who comes off as pretty reactionary when it comes to racial epithets, however the racism shown by Eastwoods character didn't offend me. Perhaps it was because he came off as an equal opportunity racist - the character seems to hate practically everyone regardless of race and in that sense he seems somewhat colorblind (if you can get past all of his epithets towards Asians, Jews, Polish, Catholics, Blacks, etc)

Powerful movie, worthy of permanent collection status.

Any favorite lines Yojimbo?

Mine is when he comes to the aid of the girl being harassed by the black guys hanging on the corner when he says.

"You ever notice every once in a while you come across someone you probably shouldn't of f*cked with? Thats me."

Yojimbo
03-Jan-2009, 12:09 AM
SPOLIERS!!!

I liked the bit with the young priest: "I think you are a virgin who likes to hold old lady's hands" Reminds me of many ministers I have had services with.

DjfunkmasterG
03-Jan-2009, 12:47 AM
Man, it is so good to see Clint take on the Semi Dirty harry role again. This movie made me have hope the PC world would lighten up a bit.

Some of the segments in which he deals with Minorities actually come off very funny, I don't think it was intentional but my theater was erupting with laughter when he would go off on one of his tirades.

DubiousComforts
10-Jan-2009, 03:25 PM
Some of the segments in which he deals with Minorities actually come off very funny, I don't think it was intentional but my theater was erupting with laughter when he would go off on one of his tirades.
It was intentional that Kowalski's behavior be so over the top as to be comical. He wasn't truly a "racist," or else he would have been wearing a white sheet over his head. I wonder if Eastwood's character was named "Walt Kowalski" for a reason.

I also have to wonder by which acting standard is everyone judging the Hmung actors in this movie. Gosh, a modern motion picture where the characters look and act like real people instead of the usual supermodels pouting for the camera--I thought those days were long gone.

DjfunkmasterG
11-Jan-2009, 07:32 PM
GRAN TORINO #1 at the US BOX OFFICE $29 Million opening weekend in first weekend of Wide Release, the films fifth week of total release.

E Online put an article online with the Headline "EASTWOOD Spanks Hathaway and Hudson" because Torino beat Bride Wars at the US Box office.

I bet Eastwood would like to spank them in real life. :D

MoonSylver
11-Jan-2009, 10:37 PM
"EASTWOOD Spanks Hathaway and Hudson

:stunned:

Yojimbo
11-Jan-2009, 10:55 PM
I also have to wonder by which acting standard is everyone judging the Hmung actors in this movie. Gosh, a modern motion picture where the characters look and act like real people instead of the usual supermodels pouting for the camera--I thought those days were long gone.
I hear what you are saying, and agree to some extent, but that kid playing Eastwood's counterpart was really not much of an actor. Think they could have done better. But, yeah, certainly prefer the cast as is to the regular hollywood choices, like making up Anne Hathaway in asian makeup or some nonsense like that.

DjfunkmasterG
14-Jan-2009, 12:18 PM
Although the Hmung/Hmong(Sp?) actors aren't the best, I don't think it takes anything away from the story. Personally, I am glad to see a film like this in this millenium. You really gotta hang your balls out there in this day and age to play a character like Walt Kowalski, and Clint was just the man for the job.

I keep reminding myself he is 78 now, and won't be around much longer which sucks because he is truly one of Cinemas Greatest personas ever. No one will kill scumbags like Clint.

MoonSylver
14-Jan-2009, 04:40 PM
I keep reminding myself he is 78 now, and won't be around much longer which sucks because he is truly one of Cinemas Greatest personas ever.

True that. Cinema's full of actors, but how many legitimate ICONS can we say are working today? How many up & comers look likely to fit the bill? It makes me sad.

DjfunkmasterG
14-Jan-2009, 04:58 PM
True that. Cinema's full of actors, but how many legitimate ICONS can we say are working today? How many up & comers look likely to fit the bill? It makes me sad.

There is not a single actor today that will ever have the iconic status of Clint Eastwood. He is like the Michael Jordan of Cinema. Cruise, Clooney, Pitt, none of them have that legendary status. I would say his closest is Connery, but he retired, Clint has been in the business for 50+ years and is still kicking like a champ.

SRP76
14-Jan-2009, 05:58 PM
Clint's consistent. Other guys can claim to be in more films total, or have some films better than some of Clint's. But nobody - NOBODY - has had more good movies. They either only have a couple great ones and that's it, or a bunch of sucky ones.

Thinking about all of Clint's movies, I can only come up with White Hunter, Black Heart and The Bridges of Madison County for the "bad" column. Even his middle-of-the-road stuff like Pink Cadillac and A Perfect World are pretty good.

Yojimbo
14-Jan-2009, 06:18 PM
There is not a single actor today that will ever have the iconic status of Clint Eastwood. Cruise, Clooney, Pitt, none of them have that legendary status.
Once again, Yojimbo agrees with Dj. Cruise, Clooney and Pitt are not even close in talent to Eastwood, and are not fit to smell his $hit.

Mike70
14-Jan-2009, 07:32 PM
clint is indeed the man. who else, besides clint, could remain the ultimate movie badass after starring in two movies with an orangutan sidekick?

DjfunkmasterG
14-Jan-2009, 08:04 PM
Clint's consistent. Other guys can claim to be in more films total, or have some films better than some of Clint's. But nobody - NOBODY - has had more good movies. They either only have a couple great ones and that's it, or a bunch of sucky ones.

Thinking about all of Clint's movies, I can only come up with White Hunter, Black Heart and The Bridges of Madison County for the "bad" column. Even his middle-of-the-road stuff like Pink Cadillac and A Perfect World are pretty good.

I like A Perfect World. I thought both Kevin and Clint were great in that. If you haven't seen it I suggest Honkytonk Man, another under appreciated Gem.

Once again, Yojimbo agrees with Dj. Cruise, Clooney and Pitt are not even close in talent to Eastwood, and are not fit to smell his $hit.

A little bit too mch visual there, but ok. :p

clint is indeed the man. who else, besides clint, could remain the ultimate movie badass after starring in two movies with an orangutan sidekick?

Exactly. I mean I don't think I have ever watched a BAD Eastwood movie. I mean even like SRP mentions, even his worst films aren't as bad as some of the shit todays A-listers have done.

Thats it, I am having a Clint Marathon this weekend.

I will do the Spaghetti Trilogy, follow it with Dirty Harry, Sudden Impact, then go into Unforgiven, then A Perfect World, and top it off with In the Line of Fire.

ProfessorChaos
14-Jan-2009, 09:16 PM
you should probably add "the gauntlet" "heartbreak ridge" and "escape from alcatraz" to that list, DJ:).

i was going to see "gran torino" last night, but didn't have the energy. perhaps i'll catch it this weekend.

MoonSylver
14-Jan-2009, 10:25 PM

See, I even like "White Hunter, Black Heart". I thought his portrayal of John Houston was great & since I'm a fan of "The African Queen" I thought it was interesting to see the back story of what was going on during filming.

You're right though, even Clint's less-than-stellar stuff is still better than most.

AcesandEights
14-Jan-2009, 10:48 PM
I can't believe that I haven't heard a single bad thing about this movie yet. I mean, not even any haters yet.

DjfunkmasterG
14-Jan-2009, 11:20 PM
Aces, head on over to IMDB, some people are screaming the movie is racist as hell, and claiming the acting sucks. Mostly trolls from what i can tell, but, for us CLINT Fans this is something we have wanted to a long time. Clint playing a badass again.

Professor.... YOU NEED TO SEE THIS MOVIE MAN! YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED. I give it the DjfunkmasterG seal of approval. :D:D:D:D:D out of :D:D:D:D:D super smilies

ProfessorChaos
15-Jan-2009, 12:00 AM
Professor.... YOU NEED TO SEE THIS MOVIE MAN! YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED. I give it the DjfunkmasterG seal of approval. :D:D:D:D:D out of :D:D:D:D:D super smilies

alright dude, i'm sold. was planning on checking it out sooner or later, but based on your enthusiasm, i'll catch it ASAP. this weekend is kinda busy with my brother's wedding, but i'll find time.:cool:

SRP76
15-Jan-2009, 09:20 AM
you should probably add "the gauntlet" "heartbreak ridge" and "escape from alcatraz" to that list, DJ:).

i was going to see "gran torino" last night, but didn't have the energy. perhaps i'll catch it this weekend.

Now all you guys have me thinking about his best movies. Gives me an idea; I think it's time we had a new tournament in the lounge.;)

Can't believe DJ is going to skip over Magnum Force and The Enforcer, and go straight for Sudden Impact...

DjfunkmasterG
15-Jan-2009, 11:12 AM
I skip those because I just watched them last weekend. :D

ProfessorChaos
13-Jun-2009, 05:17 AM
this is out on dvd now for those who didn't get the chance to catch it in theaters. and wow, what a great film.

SRP76
13-Jun-2009, 05:37 AM
Yup, I got it on the Dish Network pay-per-view the other day. Pure awesome.

Walt's kids have no common sense. Suggesting putting Dirty Harry in a home is something you want to do over the phone. Doing it to his face is just plain dangerous.:D

AcesandEights
15-Jun-2009, 03:58 PM
Rented it on By Demand this Friday evening and thought it was awesome. Haven't really run into anyone who didn't like this film, though I recall there may have been some dissenters earlier in this thread (now I have to go back and see).

Anyway, I definitely thought it was well done.

DjfunkmasterG
15-Jun-2009, 04:55 PM
Someone just handed me the Blu-Ray version for free today at work. They bought the wrong one by accident. I was like... THANKS.

Although I already own a copy. :shifty:

MaximusIncredulous
15-Jun-2009, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk was somewhat negative on this movie, in both reviews they did. These days it seems like Eastwood is one of the few movie folk that can make a movie that's actually interesting and good, even if it treads down familiar territory.

Now to head over to the Taken thread...

DubiousComforts
15-Jun-2009, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk was somewhat negative on this movie, in both reviews they did. These days it seems like Eastwood is one of the few movie folk that can make a movie that's actually interesting and good, even if it treads down familiar territory.
I don't think Gran Torino actually treads down very familiar territory at all.

MaximusIncredulous
15-Jun-2009, 11:53 PM
I don't think Gran Torino actually treads down very familiar territory at all.

Could just be me but GT had something of a Shane feel to it.

DjfunkmasterG
17-Jun-2009, 12:11 AM

Now to head over to the Taken thread...

DVD TALK can blow it out their ass. They probably rate Transformers as the best film ever made.

MaximusIncredulous
17-Jun-2009, 03:19 AM
DVD TALK can blow it out their ass. They probably rate Transformers as the best film ever made.

Close. A very glowing review to say the least.

SRP76
17-Jun-2009, 04:27 AM
I didn't see anything negative in th DVDTalk review. Maybe something about "outdated storytelling techniques", but I chalked that up to the reviewer being on crack.

Oh, wait, I was reading the wrong one. I read one of the reviews under "theatrical". Still, it's just bitchy stuff they're complaining about, nothing important.

They probably rate Transformers as the best film ever made.

Namerape In Disguise

DjfunkmasterG
17-Jun-2009, 12:03 PM
I watched my Blu-Ray last night and gran Torino gets better with each viewing. Like I have said before its Clint doing his Dirty Harry character, it works and its awesome.

BillyRay
17-Jun-2009, 02:12 PM
Haven't seen it yet myself, but I've been looking forward to it since seeing Eastwood in the commercial - Holding a shotgun, and scowling:

"Get off my lawn..."

What's not to love?

ProfessorChaos
17-Jun-2009, 08:22 PM
yeah, gotta agree that it does get even better with more viewings. i re-watched it last night, and i think i'm gonna get an extra copy of it as a father's day gift for the old man.

bassman
31-Jul-2009, 01:40 PM
I watched this flick twice yesterday. Back-to-back. It's that good....

If anyone hasn't seen this flick, get on with it!

Too bad I hear that this is Eastwood's last film in front of the camera.:( Excellent actor.

SRP76
02-Aug-2009, 12:46 AM
Too bad I hear that this is Eastwood's last film in front of the camera.:( Excellent actor.

Well, he's thought "this is my last one" about each of his last 5 movies or so. Nobody's ever truly "retired" until they're put in the ground.

3pidemiC
02-Aug-2009, 04:02 PM
Watched it a couple nights ago. Great film. It was also nice to see it shot in Southeastern Michgan (where I am from). Glad that more and more films and beings shot here, we really need it. My girlfriend balled at the end too. :P

Craig
03-Aug-2009, 12:04 AM
Had this on two-day loan from the library last week but I'd also foolishly hired the two new films about Che Guevara as well thinking I could fit them all in over a weekend. All this discussion definitely makes me want to hire it again sooner rather than later.

DjfunkmasterG
03-Aug-2009, 02:03 PM
I have watched this quite a few times since getting the Blu-Ray and I love this film, definitely the best of Clint's modern work.

DeadJonas190
07-Aug-2009, 04:12 AM
Just saw this post and I agree with you 100%, the film is fantastic. Another thing that is very cool (to me at least) is that it was filmed not too far from me (about a 10 minute drive down the highway away) and some of the locals used in the movie are customers of mine.

I watched this flick twice yesterday. Back-to-back. It's that good....

If anyone hasn't seen this flick, get on with it!

As far as that being his last film in front of the camera, I don't think he could have chosen a better way to end his career in front of the camera.