PDA

View Full Version : Classic Horror Films..

NEMESIS23
04-Jan-2009, 03:09 AM
Post some classic Horror films.{Besides Zombie films}

1.Halloween series
2.Friday the 13th series
3.Nightmare on elm street series
4.Texas chainsaw massacre series
5. The omega man
6.The brain that would not die

SRP76
04-Jan-2009, 03:22 AM
What is considered "classic"?

Since you have A Nightmare On Elm Street listed, I'll assume anything from the mid-'80s and before qualifies.

I'm not a big fan of horror movies, other than zombie flicks. The original Halloween, and Children of the Corn are about it for me.

_liam_
04-Jan-2009, 09:17 AM
Classic meaning classiiiiiiic, bruv

1. The Wicker Man (original)
2. The Satanic Rites of Dracula
3. Ringu
4. Texas Chain Saw Massacre
5. Psycho
6. Night of the Living Dead
7. Hellraiser
8. 28 days later
9. Misery
10. The Thing

capncnut
04-Jan-2009, 11:28 AM
Here's 10 good ye olde horror movies:

Night Of The Living Dead
Carnival Of Souls
Psycho
Freaks
Nosferatu
The Thing
The Haunting
White Zombie
Black Sunday
The Old Dark House

EvilNed
04-Jan-2009, 12:31 PM
1. Jaws
2. Tombs of the Blind Dead
3. Black Sunday (Mask of Satan)
4. The Thing
5. Suspiria
6. Cat O' Nine Tails
7. Cannibal Holocaust
8. Creepshow
9. Alien
10. Inferno

3pidemiC
04-Jan-2009, 06:27 PM
Halloween (I/II), Alien, Alien 3, The Thing (Remake), A Nightmare on Elm Street, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Childs Play, Evil Dead, Army of Darkness, Puppet Master, Friday the 13th (I-VI), A New Nightmare....stuff...

ProfessorChaos
04-Jan-2009, 06:41 PM
don't forget "the shining"

Philly_SWAT
04-Jan-2009, 09:54 PM
This all depends on what you classify as "classic" and what you classify as "horror".

I suggest this movie for viewing...

The Last Man on Earth starring Vincent Price

Excellent movie. I am Legend is kind of a remake of this. Both are based on the same short story (and so is Night of the Living Dead, roughly).

Is a movie that has a series of murders in it considered "horror"? Or a suspense movie that has murders in it? A couple of those I will mention are:

Jennifer 8
Copycat

The Shining is a great movie....Kubrick is the best. Jaws? Great movie, but is it horror?

capncnut
04-Jan-2009, 10:03 PM
The omega man

The Last Man on Earth
Celluloid Deathmatch!

Philly_SWAT
04-Jan-2009, 10:14 PM
I think that The Last Man on Earth was a lot better than The Omega Man. What do you think cnut?

Mike70
04-Jan-2009, 10:45 PM
here are some classic horror flicks that destroy 99.9% of the modern stuff.

son of frankenstein
the gorgon
curse of the demon
horror hotel
the fly
deep red
the bird with the crystal plummage
the mummy (hammer)
dracula: prince of darkness
taste the blood of dracula
captain kronos: vampire hunter
frankenstein must be destroyed
the haunting
legend of hell house

capncnut
04-Jan-2009, 10:56 PM
I think that The Last Man on Earth was a lot better than The Omega Man. What do you think cnut?
Most definately. The Omega Man doesn't remotely compare to it in the slightest. Neither do any of the recent I Am Legend movies of late.

legend of hell house
Oooh, more Matheson mayhem. :cool:

Danny
04-Jan-2009, 11:23 PM
Classic meaning classiiiiiiic, bruv

1. The Wicker Man (original)
2. The Satanic Rites of Dracula
3. Ringu
4. Texas Chain Saw Massacre
5. Psycho
6. Night of the Living Dead
7. Hellraiser
8. 28 days later
9. Misery
10. The Thing

fuck yeah dude.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/khazrak/respek2nj.gif

_liam_
07-Jan-2009, 01:48 PM
You knows it brah!

Last Man on Earth kicks ass, such a creepy film. Definitely the best I Am Legend adaptation yet

bigmonkey2582
07-Jan-2009, 02:16 PM
the Last man on earth is freaking great. I also like:

The house on haunted hill. (Another vincent price movie, great stuff.)
White Zombie
Carnival Of Souls
Tormented (The one is strangely entertaining.)

_liam_
07-Jan-2009, 02:33 PM
Carnival of Souls is a real gem, but is there a decent print of it anywhere? Every copy I've ever got has had terrible sound quality

bigmonkey2582
07-Jan-2009, 02:42 PM
Not sure, I just have one of those bargain bin ones myself.

_liam_
07-Jan-2009, 02:47 PM
Mm, I'll have a poke around, If I find anything I'll put a link up. I seem to remember hearing something about a special edition dvd with restored sound

Danny
07-Jan-2009, 02:57 PM
You knows it brah!

Last Man on Earth kicks ass, such a creepy film. Definitely the best I Am Legend adaptation yet

vincent price has been ,and always will be, the man.

Skippy911sc
07-Jan-2009, 03:08 PM
Although I respect Price...I have to admit I preferred Omega Man to the Last Man on Earth. I thought the pacing in LMOE was a little off and it was a bit choppy...I know it had terrible budget issues and was made, I think, in Itali but Heston ROCKS!!! Give me a night of Apes, Omega and Soylent and I am happy. I found LMOE to be a bit boring...did I just say that! I liked the movie but I just can't sit down any old time and watch it...it is a mood thing.

bassman
07-Jan-2009, 03:09 PM
No mention of The Exorcist, Rosemary's Baby, Freaks, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, or Creepshow? Hell....some people would even consider Planet of the Apes as horror(I do). So now I gotsta add Conquest for the Planet of the Apes.:)

Some might not consider it a "classic", but I like The Crazies.

_liam_
07-Jan-2009, 03:45 PM
Ah of course, The Exorcist! Goes without saying though eh

Dunno about Planet of The Apes as a horror, although it does fit some of the criteria & doesn't readily fall into any one genre. Personally I'd say it was a Sci Fi Drama or something

capncnut
07-Jan-2009, 03:47 PM
No mention of The Exorcist, Rosemary's Baby, Freaks, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, or Creepshow?

Night Of The Living Dead
Carnival Of Souls
Psycho
Freaks
Nosferatu
The Thing
The Haunting
White Zombie
Black Sunday
The Old Dark House
I did!

Freaks is creepy little film. Slugman (Prince Randian) gives me a chill when he's wriggling on the floor with that knife in his teeth. :stunned:

EvilNed
07-Jan-2009, 06:08 PM
Dunno about Planet of The Apes as a horror, although it does fit some of the criteria & doesn't readily fall into any one genre. Personally I'd say it was a Sci Fi Drama or something

While The Planet of the Apes does feature a horrifying future, it's much more of a sci-fi than a horror. The film itself may feature some scenes of suspense, but very few of actual horror and terror.

bassman
07-Jan-2009, 06:10 PM
While The Planet of the Apes does feature a horrifying future, it's much more of a sci-fi than a horror. The film itself may feature some scenes of suspense, but very few of actual horror and terror.

I'll give you that.....but what about the fourth chapter in the series, Conquest? That film scared the sh*t out of me the first time I saw it. Much more of a horror film, imo.

_liam_
07-Jan-2009, 06:37 PM
Beneath the Planet of the Apes was horrific :lol: definitely the worst one

I do know what you mean though, there is something very unnerving about the first one

AcesandEights
07-Jan-2009, 06:45 PM
Freaks

Talk about unnerving horror that was ahead of its time. I cringe at the thought of that film!

"One of us! One of us! Gooble gobble, gooble gobble! One of us! One of us!"
:eek:

Mike70
07-Jan-2009, 07:51 PM
dear god, i just realized that i left my favorite film of all time and in my not so humble opinion, the greatest movie ever made off my first list: rosemary's baby.

must be all that draino i've been snorting...

EvilNed
07-Jan-2009, 08:08 PM
I'll give you that.....but what about the fourth chapter in the series, Conquest? That film scared the sh*t out of me the first time I saw it. Much more of a horror film, imo.

Yeah, the ending of the fourth one is very, very dark. Haven't seen it in a long time tho. I just remember lots of shouting and rioting.