PDA

View Full Version : Night of the Living Dead (1968) trailer

krakenslayer
06-Jan-2009, 11:16 PM
I didn't know there was still a surviving trailer from the movie's original release, I've had few copies of it on DVD and this has never been amongst the extras (at least not that I've watched before), nor have I ever come across this online before in all my year of Dead fandom.

Maybe you've all seen this before, but it's certainly new to me. But seriously, is this the scariest fucking trailer you've ever seen before or what? It's scarier than the fucking movie!!

5gUKvmOEGCU

EvilNed
06-Jan-2009, 11:24 PM
Looks kinda cool. This a new film?

blind2d
06-Jan-2009, 11:28 PM
Totally agree, excellent trailer. Yeah, I have it on my edition of DVD (the red box). It's cool.

Bub666
06-Jan-2009, 11:36 PM
Yeah I've seen this before,awesome trailer.:D

ProfessorChaos
06-Jan-2009, 11:45 PM
seen it before, but i always get a kick out of that super-pregnant pause

NIGHT....
:|
....OF THE LIVING DEAD!:skull:

blind2d
07-Jan-2009, 12:02 PM
I showed it to me mates once and they were well spooked!

krakenslayer
07-Jan-2009, 08:55 PM
Isn't it weird that they replaced the original shot of the mangled face with something else (who is that?) but then they show it anyway, later in the trailer?

bassman
07-Jan-2009, 11:08 PM
You mean the shot at the start? Looks like a shot of Johnny or some other zombie looking through the windows....

clanglee
07-Jan-2009, 11:25 PM
Night!!

ProfessorChaos
08-Jan-2009, 12:05 AM
Isn't it weird that they replaced the original shot of the mangled face with something else (who is that?) but then they show it anyway, later in the trailer?

You mean the shot at the start? Looks like a shot of Johnny or some other zombie looking through the windows....

http://skysite.dk/punkrock/billeder/misfits_night.jpg

i think he's referring to this, which is the remains of the old lady upstairs (her face) and talking about how when ben drags the body away, the face is intact...which is because instead of dragging a dummy with ping-pong balls for eyeballs, he's actually draggin kyra (girl who played karen cooper) away.

like i said, i think....:rockbrow:

clanglee
08-Jan-2009, 12:41 AM
Of the Living Dead!!!

ProfessorChaos
08-Jan-2009, 01:23 AM
i think the dude's voice is kinda funny too..maybe it's just the way he talks...like at 1:27 to 1:30 when he says: "a night of to-tal ter-raaar":lol:

DubiousComforts
08-Jan-2009, 12:19 PM
http://skysite.dk/punkrock/billeder/misfits_night.jpg

i think he's referring to this, which is the remains of the old lady upstairs (her face) and talking about how when ben drags the body away, the face is intact...which is because instead of dragging a dummy with ping-pong balls for eyeballs, he's actually draggin kyra (girl who played karen cooper) away.

like i said, i think....:rockbrow:
He's referring to this:

The corpse in the trailer...
http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/2739/noldtrailercorpsedk9.jpg

...is not the same as the corpse seen in the film:
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/1925/noldupstairscorpsejg2.jpg

Nobody seems to recall there were two corpses. I asked George Romero about it but he doesn't remember, and John Russo was too crabby to entertain the question. :D

bassman
08-Jan-2009, 01:03 PM
They look the same to me. Just at different angles.:confused:

DubiousComforts
08-Jan-2009, 01:37 PM
They look the same to me. Just at different angles.:confused:
The trailer corpse is not the same as the one seen in the film, which has more flesh on it and different hair.

There's an alternate view of the trailer version on the 25th anniversary laserdisc in a photo from Marilyn Eastman's scrapbook where you can see the differences:

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/6458/pdvd038ps8.png

ProfessorChaos
09-Jan-2009, 01:03 AM
ok, i thought about it some more, and what i believe krakenslayer is alluding to is that when barbara reaches the top of the stairs it shows a shot of the what looks to be two ghouls (the cemetery ghoul and some other one, it looks like) peering in through a boarded up window instead of the remains of the old lady's face, but then they do show the face later on in the trailer...right, kraken?

sorry to contradict ya DC, but you're right so damn often, i just wanted to prove that you are human, and not a super-computer posing as a member here....although i'm sure you are right about there being two different props for the old lady's head, just not right about what kraken was wondering about.

DubiousComforts
09-Jan-2009, 05:50 AM
sorry to contradict ya DC, but you're right so damn often, i just wanted to prove that you are human, and not a super-computer posing as a member here....
Heh heh, okay I concede that you are correct in that he may have been alluding to the faces at the window, which are Bill Hinzman (good eye) and one other unidentified ghoul. I just get so damn excited whenever that corpse is mentioned anywhere in a forum, a super-computer wouldn't understand...

bigmonkey2582
09-Jan-2009, 02:44 PM
I always get a kick out of this trailer, and for some reason always play it when I put one of my elite edition dvd's in.

krakenslayer
09-Jan-2009, 04:30 PM
ok, i thought about it some more, and what i believe krakenslayer is alluding to is that when barbara reaches the top of the stairs it shows a shot of the what looks to be two ghouls (the cemetery ghoul and some other one, it looks like) peering in through a boarded up window instead of the remains of the old lady's face, but then they do show the face later on in the trailer...right, kraken?

sorry to contradict ya DC, but you're right so damn often, i just wanted to prove that you are human, and not a super-computer posing as a member here....although i'm sure you are right about there being two different props for the old lady's head, just not right about what kraken was wondering about.

Correctomundo!

Although I did notice it was a different corpse prop that was used, I didn't want to confuse matters by bringing that up in the same post. Looks like I failed miserably there, then. :lol:

Interestingly, the corpse that appears in the trailer is actually somewhat gorier than the one they ended up showing at the top of the stairs. Quite probably they fleshed it out a bit after viewing the film and noticing that the corpse Ben pulls away looks a lot fleshier on screen than their eaten-up model.

DubiousComforts
09-Jan-2009, 04:49 PM
Although I did notice it was a different corpse prop that was used, I didn't want to confuse matters by bringing that up in the same post. Looks like I failed miserably there, then. :lol:
So glad we got this all worked out, otherwise I wouldn't sleep tonight. :p

Interestingly, the corpse that appears in the trailer is actually somewhat gorier than the one they ended up showing at the top of the stairs. Quite probably they fleshed it out a bit after viewing the film and noticing that the corpse Ben pulls away looks a lot fleshier on screen than their eaten-up model.
I think the corpse in the film is nastier because it has more flesh on it. The trailer corpse is more skeletal, which makes it look like a Halloween prop. But it's a good point you make because the trailer corpse isn't wearing any house dress. I think they went back after filming the skeletal prop and the dragging of the body away, and shot the gorier version wearing the same house dress as an insert.

It's too bad George is unable to recall exactly what he did.

The Loner
01-Feb-2009, 10:30 PM
I love this trailer, even now the announcers voice creeps me out...hehehe

RustyHicks
02-Feb-2009, 11:55 PM
Never saw that trailer before...it does look creepy and scarier than the film.