PDA

View Full Version : RIP Patrick McGoohan

clanglee
15-Jan-2009, 12:10 AM
Another sad death in the entertainment industry. Patrick "#6" McGoohan led a long career. The younger folk here in the U.S. may only remember him as Longshanks in Braveheart, but I will always remember him as #6 from the Prisoner. RIP

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-patrick-mcgoohan15-2009jan15,0,3951859.story

Skippy911sc
15-Jan-2009, 04:58 PM
OH SNAP!!!

I Loved the Prisoner!!!

I used to watch it on my B&W TV in my Bedroom as a youth. I loved the mystery...although I never did see the whole series. Sorry to hear of his passing!

AcesandEights
15-Jan-2009, 05:06 PM
This guy had some acting chops and a great voice.

Damn. At least had a good long career.

wayzim
15-Jan-2009, 06:20 PM
Another sad death in the entertainment industry. Patrick "#6" McGoohan led a long career. The younger folk here in the U.S. may only remember him as Longshanks in Braveheart, but I will always remember him as #6 from the Prisoner. RIP

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-patrick-mcgoohan15-2009jan15,0,3951859.story

And interestingly enough, though the producers and Patrick McGoohan himself denied that The Prisoner was a sequel to his earlier Danger Man/Secret Agent, a media myth was that in the final episode, Number 2 says "See you later, Drake. " (John Drake being his name from the other show)

I also remember him from Ice Station Zebra and a nifty little film by David Cronenberg called Scanners (he was Doctor Ruth, literal father of the Scanner race )

Wayne Z
Cmdr. Ferraday(Rock Hudson): It wasn't sealing wax. It wasn't chewing gum. It was epoxy glue. And all of a sudden you know a whole damn lot about submarines.
David Jones(Patrick McGoohan): I know how to wreck them, and I know how to lie, steal, kidnap, counterfeit, suborn and kill. That's my job. I do it with great pride.

Ice Station Zebra

Mike70
15-Jan-2009, 06:41 PM
sad news. i am a huge fan of both the prisoner and danger man/aka secret agent.

"be seeing you."

i also dig how the ending to the series was alluded to in virtually every episode:
"who is number one?"
"you are, number six."

clanglee
15-Jan-2009, 11:11 PM
and a nifty little film by David Cronenberg called Scanners (he was Doctor Ruth, literal father of the Scanner race )

Totally forgot he was in Scanners. :stunned:

DubiousComforts
16-Jan-2009, 04:44 AM
also dig how the ending to the series was alluded to in virtually every episode:
Yet The Prisoner doesn't actually end but rather cycles back to the first shot of the first episode.
Rest in peace, Patrick McGoohan -- no longer a number, but a free man! :D

Mike70
16-Jan-2009, 05:11 AM
Yet The Prisoner doesn't actually end but rather cycles back to the first shot of the first episode.
Rest in peace, Patrick McGoohan -- no longer a number, but a free man! :D

yes it certainly does, doesn't it. shows with the intelligence of the prisoner have been few and far between.

C5NOTLD
16-Jan-2009, 11:00 PM
sad news. i am a huge fan of both the prisoner and danger man/aka secret agent.

"be seeing you."

Sad news. Those were great shows.

Purge
17-Jan-2009, 12:56 PM
Silver Streak and Scanners are two of my faves. R.I.P., good man. :(