View Full Version : Oldest metal fan in Britain?

krakenslayer
15-Jan-2009, 09:53 PM
I was made redundant from my job at Zavvi today - so I'm fucking depressed - but this cheered me up a bit. Must have been a slow news day:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7826717.stm

Wish he was my granddad.

MoonSylver
15-Jan-2009, 10:11 PM
I was made redundant from my job at Zavvi today - so I'm fucking depressed - but this cheered me up a bit. Must have been a slow news day:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7826717.stm

Wish he was my granddad.

Sorry the hear that Kracken. Must be a day for giving people the axe (see the thread I just posted):(

Mike70
15-Jan-2009, 11:34 PM
hey, believe it or not christopher lee is a big metal fan. i'm totally serious, all bullshit is definitely aside.

blind2d
16-Jan-2009, 12:57 AM
"Alcohol, alcohol, alcohol, white light"
Sorry bout yer job... ah well, at least you can still post!

MoonSylver
16-Jan-2009, 01:08 AM
hey, believe it or not christopher lee is a big metal fan. i'm totally serious, all bullshit is definitely aside.

Wow....that's just...wow....:D:stunned::cool:

Mike70
16-Jan-2009, 05:21 AM
Wow....that's just...wow....:D:stunned::cool:

yep. i was surprised myself. here's a couple of snippets about it:

Lee bridged two disparate genres of music by performing a heavy metal variation of the Toreador Song from the opera Carmen with the band Inner Terrestrials.[13] Lee narrated and sang for the Danish musical group The Tolkien Ensemble, taking the role of Treebeard, King Théoden and others in the readings or singing of their respective poems or songs.[14] Lee also appeared as a narrator for Italian symphonic fantasy power metal band Rhapsody of Fire, playing the Wizard King in the latest two albums, Symphony of Enchanted Lands II: The Dark Secret and Triumph or Agony. He narrates several tracks in the two albums, as well as singing a duet with lead vocalist Fabio Lione in the single "The Magic of the Wizard's Dream" from the Symphony of Enchanted Lands II album.

One of his favorite bands is the Italian symphonic power metal band Rhapsody, and he has also appeared on one of their album (listen to the speech in the intro on the song "Unholy Warcry" on the album "The dark secret"). Lee also appears on the Rhapsody single "The Magic Of The Wizard's Dream", where he does a duet with Rhapsody vocalist Fabio Leoni in English, German, Italian and French versions of the song.

krakenslayer
16-Jan-2009, 10:04 AM
Yeah, I actually own the two Rhapsody albums he appears on! He does a great job on both of them. That said, however, it's possible that he was more interested the fusion of classical music with metal, rather than him actually being a metalhead. Cool, nonetheless.

MoonSylver
16-Jan-2009, 02:23 PM
Yeah, I actually own the two Rhapsody albums he appears on! He does a great job on both of them. That said, however, it's possible that he was more interested the fusion of classical music with metal, rather than him actually being a metalhead. Cool, nonetheless.

Sounds like he's into metal w/ a fantasy element too, which makes sense. When LOTR was coming out I heard that he reads the entire series every year & helped serve as a technical advisor on the movies.

Further proof that the old school guys like Lee, Cushing, & Price were the shiznet.;)

MikePizzoff
16-Jan-2009, 10:59 PM
I wish my grandparents had a computer so I could show them this guy. They're still convinced that people who listen to metal are just young and/or possessed by "the devil".

_liam_
21-Jan-2009, 07:02 PM
Mate he's tr00, they're like put a record on, and he chooses "So far, So good... So what?!", and underrated album & clearly the best Megadeth LP, it's a shame they didn't play that diddly dee bit from into the lungs of hell, that gives me a lob on

Mike70
21-Jan-2009, 07:59 PM
"So far, So good... So what?!", and underrated album & clearly the best Megadeth LP,

now wait just a centon here, we don't disagree often but i've got to ask you: are you serious or are you having a laugh? "so far, so good....so what" the best megadeth LP??? come on bro, "peace sells" and "rust in peace" crush like that an empty beer can.

_liam_
21-Jan-2009, 08:17 PM
Ok get ready :lol:

I don't rate Rust in Peace that highly. Well, i'd give it 7.8 to be precise

It is very good but just sounds a bit flat & doesn't make me want to smash my head against a wall (in a good way). So Far... I did hate at first, but it's really grown on me, definitely a solid album apart from the pistols cover.

I'll still go mental whenever they play polaris or hangar 18 though

Peace Sells was my favourite for a long time. In fact, actually, it probably is my favourite, but the original mix only, the new one is ARSE. Man actually I think I might stick that on.

No thrash ever touches Kill Em All and Master of Puppets though. One fun one serious, together they rule the galaxy as father and son

Mike70
21-Jan-2009, 09:14 PM
Peace Sells was my favourite for a long time. In fact, actually, it probably is my favourite, but the original mix only, the new one is ARSE. Man actually I think I might stick that on.

the randy burns mix (i assume that's what you mean by the original mix) does kick the shit out of the mix that was done once capitol got their slimy paws on it.

on another note: i've always thought that "reign in blood" and "beneath the remains" ruled the thrash galaxy. but hey, things like that are entirely a matter of opinion. not pinion, which as you pointed out in another thread is a tune by nine inch nails.

MikePizzoff
21-Jan-2009, 10:59 PM
on another note: i've always thought that "reign in blood" and "beneath the remains" ruled the thrash galaxy.

You are correct! Beneath The Remains has always been, in my eyes, the best thrash album ever.

Aside from that, my Megadeth list goes like this:
1) Peace Sells...
2-tied) Rust In Peace
2-tied) Killin Is My Business...
3) Countdown To Extinction (yeah, that's right)
4) So Far... (hardly ever even listen to this album... it kind of annoys me for some reason)

Shit... we belong in the metal thread!

EDIT - What the hell? I just looked at my post and noticed "shit" has not been censored... has HPotD finally turned to a more mature demograph?!

Mike70
21-Jan-2009, 11:06 PM
EDIT - What the hell? I just looked at my post and noticed "shit" has not been censored... has HPotD finally turned to a more mature demograph?!

yep, sure has. it happened while you were on vacation.

sorry kraken, if liam and i took this thread off the tracks.

_liam_
21-Jan-2009, 11:17 PM
I think Kraken knows that a thread concerned with the metal in anyway with inevitably turn to discussion of the metal in terms of best LPs

Countdown to Extinction rules. I stick by my opinion, Metallica won the war, but when it came to streamlining the thrash sound for the radio, Megadeth won the battle. By the way decline of western civilisation 2 is on youtube

Mike70
21-Jan-2009, 11:55 PM
By the way decline of western civilisation 2 is on youtube

i haven't seen that in like 15 years or more. a lot of it revolved around bands i really couldn't stand back then and still can't stand. the only things i really remember about it are: one of the dudes from WASP (i think) sitting in his pool on a floaty piss drunk holding a bottle of booze while his obviously embarrassed mom looked on. a couple of assholes in a shitty band talking about how they were more famous than the doors (or was it the who)? and one of the dudes from aerosmith (steven tyler maybe?) going on about how much money he'd spent on coke over the years. those few things and that ricki rachtman managed to insinuate himself into the film somehow.

MikePizzoff
22-Jan-2009, 12:33 AM
i haven't seen that in like 15 years or more. a lot of it revolved around bands i really couldn't stand back then and still can't stand. the only things i really remember about it are: one of the dudes from WASP (i think) sitting in his pool on a floaty piss drunk holding a bottle of booze while his obviously embarrassed mom looked on. a couple of assholes in a shitty band talking about how they were more famous than the doors (or was it the who)? and one of the dudes from aerosmith (steven tyler maybe?) going on about how much money he'd spent on coke over the years. those few things and that ricki rachtman managed to insinuate himself into the film somehow.

I own this movie and love it/watch it a ton, because it's pretty hilarious.

It was Chris Holmes from W.A.S.P. - he was kicked outta the band after the movie premiered, for his behavior in the film. Pretty unmetal, if you ask me.

Can't seem to recall anyone mentioning being bigger than The Doors or The Who.

Yes, it was Steven Tyler, along with Joe Perry.

Ricki Rachtman was in the film because he helped run The Cathouse, which was a club that was somewhat bio'd in the film.

PS - I'm a fan of Faster Pussycat. And L.A. Guns. And Dangerous Toys. And I don't give a fuck what anyone says! :D

krakenslayer
22-Jan-2009, 10:58 AM
yep, sure has. it happened while you were on vacation.

I think Kraken knows that a thread concerned with the metal in anyway with inevitably turn to discussion of the metal in terms of best LPs

Yeah, it's cool - I'm a bit of a metal head myself - so it's all good. The only reason I haven't joined in the debate is that I'm not so much a thrash nut as a power metal fag. :o

DjfunkmasterG
22-Jan-2009, 11:02 AM
Anything Early Metallica or Megadeth for me when it comes to older Metal. For todays Metal I prefer Black Label Society, which is more a hard rock than Metal, but still a rockin' good time.

Mike70
22-Jan-2009, 04:32 PM
Can't seem to recall anyone mentioning being bigger than The Doors or The Who.

i could very well be crossing memories. i know that somewhere, once upon a time, i heard an interview with a totally shitty band and they were bragging about how they were more famous than either the doors or the who.

i probably saw this on headbangers ball back in the late 80s/early 90s instead of in this movie. i'm getting old and confused:D

Yeah, it's cool - I'm a bit of a metal head myself - so it's all good. The only reason I haven't joined in the debate is that I'm not so much a thrash nut as a power metal fag. :o

do we have a manowar fan in our midst?:p

krakenslayer
22-Jan-2009, 04:59 PM
do we have a manowar fan in our midst?:p

Quite like them, although I wouldn't say they're exactly power metal (lyrically similar, but more akin to old-school trad-metal in their sound). I tend to listen to more stuff like: Sonata Arctica, Kamelot, Helloween, Iced Earth, Amon Amarth, Turisas, Ensiferum, Wintersun, Metal Church, Alestorm, etc etc. Maiden are probably my favourite band.

Mike70
22-Jan-2009, 05:28 PM
Quite like them, although I wouldn't say they're exactly power metal (lyrically similar, but more akin to old-school trad-metal in their sound). I tend to listen to more stuff like: Sonata Arctica, Kamelot, Helloween, Iced Earth, Amon Amarth, Turisas, Ensiferum, Wintersun, Metal Church, Alestorm, etc etc. Maiden are probably my favourite band.

that was my lame attempt at humor.:lol:

iced earth and metal church are both cool bands. honestly, i haven't heard anything that metal church has done in eons. i heard david wayne got killed in a car accident, sad news that.

i really liked "horror show" by iced earth. that is probably the record of theirs that i've listened to the most. the cover album they did had some cool shit on it too.

maiden are, well, maiden and i've been listening to them since like 1981 or 82. in fact, since i first saw the videos for "iron maiden" and "running free" on MTV when it first started up, you know, back when MTV actually played music.

this very video in fact:
_wSjEapocQs

MikePizzoff
22-Jan-2009, 06:09 PM
Manowar fan? Guilty! How can you not like ultra-cheesy/overthetop lyrics over arena-esque heavy metal?! Plus, they do have some pretty blazing tracks (Wheels Of Fire comes to mind).

Metal Church rules. Armored Saint is cool. Other than those two, power metal is one subgenre of metal that I just can not get into.

Kraken, I don't know if this is what you were doing, but Maiden isn't really lumped into the power metal category.

I'm going to go add to the metal thread in Media Discussion if anybody cares on continuing this discussion there!

Mike70
22-Jan-2009, 06:13 PM
Manowar fan? Guilty! How can you not like ultra-cheesy/overthetop lyrics over arena-esque heavy metal?! Plus, they do have some pretty blazing tracks (Wheels Of Fire comes to mind).

Metal Church rules. Armored Saint is cool. Other than those two, power metal is one subgenre of metal that I just can not get into.

Kraken, I don't know if this is what you were doing, but Maiden isn't really lumped into the power metal category.

I'm going to go add to the metal thread in Media Discussion if anybody cares on continuing this discussion there!

i'll be on over. i like manowar too, though i consider them a rather guilty pleasure.

capncnut
22-Jan-2009, 08:52 PM
i like manowar too, though i consider them a rather guilty pleasure.
Well, with titles such as Drums Of Doom, Kings Of Metal and The Power Of Thy Sword, it's kinda hard to not have a soft spot for ol' Manowar. :D

Mike70
23-Jan-2009, 12:36 AM
Well, with titles such as Drums Of Doom, Kings Of Metal and The Power Of Thy Sword, it's kinda hard to not have a soft spot for ol' Manowar. :D

how bout "hatred" from "into glory ride?" the tune that has those extended wails from eric adams that sound as if someone has his dangling bits in an ever tightening vice grip.

ruFxV-TQE58

i mostly like the stuff from "into glory ride", "hail to england", and "sign of the hammer." some of the stuff from "fighting the world" is cool but that album is over produced as all fuck in my opinion.