View Full Version : Fallout 3 ESRB ratings question

tkane18
19-Jan-2009, 09:39 PM
My son (he's 12) has been bugging me to get Fallout 3 for him but on the ratings label, it states "Drug Use and Sexual Themes".

Can someone who has played the game elaborate on these two items?

Thanks.

ProfessorChaos
19-Jan-2009, 09:50 PM
as far as drug use, there are "drugs" in the game, called "jet", "med-ex", "psycho", etc which give you temporary boosts to your stats. but from what i've seen, there's no reference to marijuana, cocaine, lsd, ecstasy, heroin, meth, etc.

as far as alcohol, there's all kinds of places where you find bottles of wine, beer, whiskey, vodka, and whatnot. you can drink them and they add temporary boosts to your charisma stats, drop your intelligence and agility stats temporarily, etc.

both drugs and alcohol carry the risk of addiction, so i guess there's a bit of a lesson in there.

there are other things going on in the game (sexual references, lots of violence, and some random, yet totally effective, profanity) that i'd worry about exposing a 12-year old to, however.

CoinReturn
19-Jan-2009, 10:14 PM
Yeah, the drug use and sexual themes are barely worth mentioning. In fact, morphine was renamed "Med-X" because the Australian ratings board refused classification unless Bethesda changed it. The only sexual themes I've run in to was when I found some European guys' party house, where he boasted about having a couple of hookers. The extreme graphic violence would probably be a bigger issue overall.

tkane18
20-Jan-2009, 04:37 AM
Thanks for the info, guys.
It's sometimes hard to tell what's actually in some of these games with some of the general terms that they use.

MikePizzoff
20-Jan-2009, 01:26 PM
The only sexual themes I've run in to was when I found some European guys' party house, where he boasted about having a couple of hookers.

Haha I've been there before.

But, you can also buy a hooker yourself, from the bar in Megaton. Although, it doesn't blatantly state that's what you're doing. Can't really remember how it was phrased, but I'm sure a sharp 12 year old could figure it out.

Also, there is a good amount of profanity. Especially from little kids I've run into. I may not have noticed, but my little bro was watching me play one day when I did a quest involving a little kid. My brother then kept saying things like "That kid isn't allowed to say that!"

Overall, though, I would have been playing it just fine when I was 12 or 13.

CoinReturn
20-Jan-2009, 06:25 PM
Haha I've been there before.

But, you can also buy a hooker yourself, from the bar in Megaton. Although, it doesn't blatantly state that's what you're doing.

Ah, I didn't know that, seeing as I vaporized Megaton. :elol:

Danny
20-Jan-2009, 06:54 PM
Ah, I didn't know that, seeing as I vaporized Megaton. :elol:

i didn't and got a fucking swank ass shanty house with a robot that makes me crap!

CoinReturn
20-Jan-2009, 07:34 PM
i didn't and got a fucking swank ass shanty house with a robot that makes me crap!

I got a swank penthouse suite in Tenpenny Tower with a robot named Godfrey that makes me water, so ha!

Sometimes it pays to be evil :lol:

Danny
20-Jan-2009, 08:55 PM
I got a swank penthouse suite in Tenpenny Tower with a robot named Godfrey that makes me water, so ha!

Sometimes it pays to be evil :lol:

well i killed tenpenny and his goons and now i have the tower as well!, wasteland paragon beeyotch!

krakenslayer
20-Jan-2009, 09:41 PM
Drug Use - It features quite prominently in the game but the drugs are fictionalised (some aren't even remotely based on "real world" drugs). They are used to temporarily boost stats in specific skill areas (e.g. "Psycho" boosts your ability to damage enemies, "Med-X" increases your resistance to damage...). Most of them carry health consequences for the player, including addiction, which can only be cured by going cold turkey and visiting a doctor. This is, potentially, a good lesson for kids.

Violence - Probably the strongest "adult" content in the game. Normal fighting is not much more explicit than your average FPS, although that does include decapitating and dismembering enemies with gunfire. The real hard stuff is when the player utilises the turn-based VATS combat system - you can spend "action points" to slow down the action and select enemies' body parts to attack (head, legs, antennae, whatever...), giving you a strategic advantage in a gunfight, and then the action is played out in slow motion, including slo-mo blood spurts and disintegrating limbs. This is the real reason the game is rated "18" in the UK.

Sexual Themes - Pretty much negligable. There are is one bar when you can rent a room to sleep in, and a female NPC (apparently a hooker) comes in and lies on the bed next to your character. No sexual dialogue, no nudity, nor any real suggestion that anything other than sleeping actually takes place. There are some other bits and pieces elsewhere - slavers trying to capture women and children to sell (they never really say what for, but I can guess), some very oblique dialogue references, etc. All much milder than even, say, a Bond movie.

Language - There is some strong language in the game, but it's not over used. You get some very occasional f-words in dialogue with characters (one of them a kid), and the odd obscenity shouted by raiders and evil characters when you attack them. Honestly though, I've been playing this game for weeks and on average I don't think I've heard more than one "fuck" or "bastard" per hour of gameplay. So yeah, it's there, but compared to a lot of games these days (Grand Theft Auto 4 and even Rainbow Six Vegas 2, for example), it's playground stuff.

Would I let a 12 year old play it? Well, it depends on the 12 year old. If your son has a clear understanding of right and wrong and is streetwise enough not to be disturbed by some gore and swearing, then I'd say it it's fine. But if he is young for his age and still has a developing "moral compass", I'd think twice. You are free to make a lot of choices in this game - you can become an utter scoundrel who kills helpless people and sells the survivors into slavery, or you can become a chivalrous champion for hope and freedom in the Wasteland, with consequences for both choices. If you think your son is old enough to understand this, I'd go as far to say the game could actually teach him a few valuable lessons, but if not... I'd wait a year or two.

My little brother is 11 and play it, though. And he's not started murdering people yet... :)

Eyebiter
21-Jan-2009, 04:02 AM
Besides the drug and sex references, does your wife want your kid playing a video game that shows people's heads exploding and other random acts of violence?

Guess if the kid is 12 years old perhaps it's not a big deal.