PDA

View Full Version : New Star Trek trailer

clanglee
20-Jan-2009, 01:05 AM
http://www.vladtv.com/video/1528/star-trek-new-movie-trailer/

So. . what does everyone think? It looks kinda fun to me. But there are going to be a LOT of pissed off fanboys out there.

Mike70
20-Jan-2009, 01:22 AM
http://www.vladtv.com/video/1528/star-trek-new-movie-trailer/

So. . what does everyone think? It looks kinda fun to me. But there are going to be a LOT of pissed off fanboys out there.

i like the look of it a lot. i've been a life long fan of trek but cannot stand most trek fans. the word "reboot" seems to fail to compute with most trek fanboys.

i really hate it when the trek fanboys start talking about "true" fans. just what or who the fuck is that? i've never had much patience with that particular term and even less patience for self-appointed guardians of the trekverse.

ProfessorChaos
20-Jan-2009, 01:27 AM
never been a big star-trek guy, so i've got no frame of reference from a trekkies POV, but to me, it looks like a lame-ass, MTV generation, CGI-laden name rape.

just my opinion, which as i've stated, is probably worthless in the eyes of true fans of star trek, but oh well....there it is.

clanglee
20-Jan-2009, 01:51 AM
I hear what you are saying Chaos. It does have a 90210 sort of look to it. I think its the pretty boy cast tho. But, as I said, it looks fun. I'll go see it.

SRP76
20-Jan-2009, 03:37 AM
it looks like a lame-ass, MTV generation, CGI-laden name rape.

But since it's a "reboot", that's okay. Didn't you know that movies are allowed to suck, just as long as they claim to be "starting over"?

That trailer makes this movie look like ass. Like a typical movie of the last 10 years.

bassman
20-Jan-2009, 11:49 AM
Is it just me or is this pretty much the same trailer released with Quantum of Solace, but with only two minor clips added in? The longest being Nemoy saying the "live long...." line.

I'm not much a trek fan or one of those people that cream their pants everytime they hear JJ Abramms name, but I think this is going to be a fun ride.

EvilNed
20-Jan-2009, 11:50 AM
Hi, I'm a Star Trek fan, and I approve of this trailer.

krakenslayer
20-Jan-2009, 12:34 PM
i like the look of it a lot. i've been a life long fan of trek but cannot stand most trek fans. the word "reboot" seems to fail to compute with most trek fanboys.

I'm not a big Star Trek fan, in fact I've only really ever watched the movies (I found the TV shows to be interminably dull), but in the Trekkies' defence I think the underlying reason they are pissed off is that a "reboot" suggests not only a whole new Star Trek universe with retconned characters and history, but also the possibility that there will be no more movies set in the Enterprise/classic/TNG/DS9/Voyager timeline that they love so much.

MoonSylver
20-Jan-2009, 10:33 PM
I used to be a pretty hardcore Trek fan (but not a "dress up & go to conventions" level)

I can't say I'm thrilled w/ it. *Meh* maybe. I, like some of the rest of you don't like the "90210/MTV" look of it. I'm not thrilled w/ the idea of the reboot either. I'll be honest, I LIKE continuity. I LIKE established history. It makes a fictional universe seem more "real" to me somehow.

When new folks come in (to whatever franchise) & chuck all the established stuff out the window, it somehow feels disrespectful to me. Like "bah, forget all this old crap, we can do it better. I think there's ways to stick to established history & still make it fresh & accessible & not for fanboys only. Maybe that's just IMO. I dunno. It doesn't fill me w/ fanboy-righteous-anger...it just makes me sad.:(

DawnGirl27
20-Jan-2009, 10:46 PM
I'm in agreement with Moon. It looks too yuppie, and I also am put off by the idea of a "reboot." I am by no means a true-blue Trekkie in that I don't dress up and go to conventions, but I loved the TV series, especially the original and Next Generation. Some of the movies were quite good, as well, and I just hope this new movie doesn't mislead a whole new group of would-be fans into believing the whole franchise is a bunch of crap.... :|

Mike70
20-Jan-2009, 11:35 PM
speaking of star trek and star trek fanboys - this is one of the most ridiculous things i've seen on the intrawebz in long bit. Dvice, the sister site of scifiwire, is doing a ongoing series where they compare two ships from scifi franchises in order to see who might win in a battle between the two. total geek shit and utterly ridiculous. apples and oranges the whole way but anyhoo, this last one was the enterprise vs. the galactica. the edge went to the galactica and the whining from the trek fanboys is fucking hilarious. scroll down to the comments at the bottom and prepare to be saddened by the state of basement dwelling, 45 year old virgin star trek fans the world over.

http://dvice.com/archives/2009/01/sci_fi_showdown.php

sorry clang if this is a bit off topic. let's please not have any ubergeekish arguements about this sort of shit. i'm putting this up as for a laugh. as i believe DJ said once, "in these sort of internet arguements there might be a winner but both sides come out looking like dorks."

MoonSylver
21-Jan-2009, 12:43 AM
speaking of star trek and star trek fanboys - this is one of the most ridiculous things i've seen on the intrawebz in long bit. Dvice, the sister site of scifiwire, is doing a ongoing series where they compare two ships from scifi franchises in order to see who might win in a battle between the two. total geek shit and utterly ridiculous. apples and oranges the whole way but anyhoo, this last one was the enterprise vs. the galactica. the edge went to the galactica and the whining from the trek fanboys is fucking hilarious. scroll down to the comments at the bottom and prepare to be saddened by the state of basement dwelling, 45 year old virgin star trek fans the world over.

http://dvice.com/archives/2009/01/sci_fi_showdown.php

sorry clang if this is a bit off topic. let's please not have any ubergeekish arguements about this sort of shit. i'm putting this up as for a laugh. as i believe DJ said once, "in these sort of internet arguements there might be a winner but both sides come out looking like dorks."

:lol::lol::lol:
I used to know guys in HS that would argue the Federation vs the Empire, A Constitution class Starship vs a Star Destroyer, etc....:rolleyes:

clanglee
21-Jan-2009, 12:51 AM
Awww come on guys. Let these guys dork out to their hearts content. It's amusing as hell. And I am guilty of it in other arenas myself (Hulk vs. Superman, Wolverine vs. Batman etc.)

SRP76
21-Jan-2009, 12:54 AM
Yeah, that's bad. They should join the cool kids and debate endlessly about shambling corpses and whether one of them should scream and walk underwater...

...oh, damn, wait a minute.

clanglee
21-Jan-2009, 01:00 AM
Yeah, that's bad. They should join the cool kids and debate endlessly about shambling corpses and whether one of them should scream and walk underwater...

...oh, damn, wait a minute.

:lol::lol:
God we ARE dorks aren't we!!

:(;)

SRP76
21-Jan-2009, 01:31 AM
Well, everyone has their thing. We're not hurting people or stealing anything by talking about zombies. It's harmless fun.

Mike70
21-Jan-2009, 01:35 AM
Awww come on guys. Let these guys dork out to their hearts content. It's amusing as hell. And I am guilty of it in other arenas myself (Hulk vs. Superman, Wolverine vs. Batman etc.)

yeah, these things can be fun if kept on a sane and somewhat humorous level. it is the preachy, serious as all hell tone of some of the comments and the way some of them seem to be taking this so personally that i find funny.

it is the dudes citing technical specs on shit that doesn't even exist that really kills me though and getting their panties totally in a twist and becoming insulting about it that is so fucking ridiculous.

bassman
21-Jan-2009, 12:01 PM
As I said before, I'm not much of a Trek fan. But all this complaining about the crew being young and "yuppie" is confusing me. Anyone see the original series? If you forget the fact that it was made many years ago, that's a pretty damn young looking crew.:confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmjVOUW3Szo

Seems more like complaining that they're touching such a beloved series rather than any solid complaints. Especially based off of a two minute trailer...

RustyHicks
21-Jan-2009, 06:35 PM
I'm not a huge Trek fan, I love the original series and TNG, but as for the new movie,
it looks all right, although I certainly won't bunch my shorts up in a knot in a rush to go see it

MoonSylver
21-Jan-2009, 10:38 PM

Not saying I'm not guilty meself....it's just the level to which the debates became HEATED....:rolleyes:

I know they used to play Star Fleet Battles (table top ST ship combat wargame), make up Star Wars ships, fight it out, argue about it, etc. They used to argue endlessly about who's ships were better (The Feddie guy used to get a lot of shit from the Romulan & Klingon lovers)

A couple of these guys were the kind of geeks that give the rest of us geeks a bad name.:lol:

As I said before, I'm not much of a Trek fan. But all this complaining about the crew being young and "yuppie" is confusing me. Anyone see the original series? If you forget the fact that it was made many years ago, that's a pretty damn young looking crew.:confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmjVOUW3Szo

Seems more like complaining that they're touching such a beloved series rather than any solid complaints. Especially based off of a two minute trailer...

The age doesn't bother me. The fact that they look like they just wandered in from the set of Dawsons Creek does. The actor playing Kirk is about the most metrosexual actor I've seen in a while. He should be doing a J Crew catalog.

The fact that they're touching a beloved series doesn't bother me. Maybe the way that they're DOING it is a little bothersome, but not a biggie. I just don't think it looks very good.:|

SRP76
22-Jan-2009, 12:43 AM

Put it this way:

Cut out all name references in that trailer, and the title. See how the trailer doesn't appeal anymore?

If people didn't know this was "a Star Trek movie", they wouldn't give a rat's ass about it, after seeing that trailer. It would be filed under "typical trash", and forgotten in 5 seconds, as people settle in for the feature presentation.

bassman
22-Jan-2009, 12:24 PM
These pictures kinda get my point across.... (http://screenrant.com/star-trek-movie-thoughts-new-cast-fans-non-fans-and-what-about-shatner-vic-1025/)

They look very similar to the original crew, but somehow the original crew weren't too young?:rockbrow:

You can say the trailer isn't appealing to you for various reasons, but the "young look" complaint seems totally misplaced, imo.

DawnGirl27
23-Jan-2009, 01:28 AM
Sorry, bass, but even side by side the new cast looks like it's college age at best, while there is no way I'd mistake the original crew for that young - imo. :)
I think another big thing for me is that this is yet another project where a series/movie is being revamped - where is the creativity? There has to be people out there with fresh, original ideas instead of going back to things already made and rehashing them. :rockbrow:

ProfessorChaos
23-Jan-2009, 01:46 AM
simon pegg is in this? wow, i figured he'd be against this sort of film...:rockbrow:

Danny
23-Jan-2009, 01:53 AM
simon pegg is in this? wow, i figured he'd be against this sort of film...:rockbrow:

well we know how he feels about star wars latest flicks. :lol:

ZYdIPwkdsBQ

clanglee
23-Jan-2009, 01:54 AM
These pictures kinda get my point across.... (http://screenrant.com/star-trek-movie-thoughts-new-cast-fans-non-fans-and-what-about-shatner-vic-1025/)

They look very similar to the original crew, but somehow the original crew weren't too young?:rockbrow:

You can say the trailer isn't appealing to you for various reasons, but the "young look" complaint seems totally misplaced, imo.

I actually see your point. The original crew are so iconic. . it's easy to forget how they looked when the series was fresh and new.

Ahhh. . we'll see. I'm in though. Like I said. . it looks fun.

A chance to play Scotty in a new Star Trek movie? What self respecting geek would turn that down? No matter your stances on the reboot. . you get to be in the Enterprise. Doing and saying Trek stuff. . and get paid for it. No contest.

MoonSylver
23-Jan-2009, 10:23 PM

Those pic's look a little better. The original cast shot they put out....meh...looked like the cast of "Friends" or something....:|

bassman
06-Mar-2009, 07:40 PM
Latest Trailer.

1DKDNqzdTGE&hl=en&fs=1

I'm still looking forward to this flick even though I'm not a Trek fan. Looks like it will be a fun two hour ride. I bet it's going to be visually incredible in Imax.

Danny
06-Mar-2009, 07:50 PM
the music was a bit too close to transformers for me, which i liked, but you dont want to go into a star trek movie thinking about autobots and decepticons do you?:lol:

bassman
07-Apr-2009, 04:14 PM
Last night alot of Star Trek fans in Austin Texas got a really awesome treat. There was a scheduled screening of The Wrath of Kahn, and after the movie started the film "broke". Then the producers of the new Trek walked onto stage and introduced Leonard Nimoy, who was carrying a film canister.

Those fans who were waiting to see Kahn got the FIRST screening on Star Trek and didn't even know it was coming. So today all those lucky people are talking about it on the web and it's pretty much agreed that the film is incredible. Most of them are even saying it's better than Wrath of Kahn, which most fans consider the best....

Source (http://joblo.com/trek-premieres)

AcesandEights
07-Apr-2009, 04:52 PM
Last night alot of Star Trek fans in Austin Texas got a really awesome treat. There was a scheduled screening of The Wrath of Kahn, and after the movie started the film "broke". Then the producers of the new Trek walked onto stage and introduced Leonard Nimoy, who was carrying a film canister.

Those fans who were waiting to see Kahn got the FIRST screening on Star Trek and didn't even know it was coming. So today all those lucky people are talking about it on the web and it's pretty much agreed that the film is incredible. Most of them are even saying it's better than Wrath of Kahn, which most fans consider the best....

Source (http://joblo.com/trek-premieres)

Aside from the fact that the whole thing is just cool as hell, now I'm mega-psyched at the prospect of a good Star Trek movie :) I'm not a huuuge Trekkie, or anything, but like the 'franchise' (though I hate that term) and feel they have been under performing at movies for ages.

vnvnvn2000
14-Apr-2009, 12:28 PM
This new movie looks pretty cool - I grew up on Star Trek and I am quite exited to see it. It is a pity that they moved the release date back to 2009.