PDA

View Full Version : Aliens: Colonial Marines - Left 4 Dead, but with Aliens :)

Neil
27-Jan-2009, 11:44 AM
http://www.gamesradar.com/pc/aliens-colonial-marines/preview/aliens-colonial-marines/a-20090106115325220079/g-20070604114826124039

We've not had a post about this for ages now... It's due out in a few months, and given L4Ds recent success, it's looking all the more interesting!

http://static.gamesradar.com/images/mb//GamesRadar/us/Games/A/Aliens%20Colonial%20Marines/Bulk%20Viewer/PS3_360_PC/2008-03-06/aliens-colonial-marines-14--screenshot.jpg

bassman
27-Jan-2009, 12:04 PM
I'm really looking forward to this game. So you play as marines on the prison planet and the ship from the original too? Awesome.:D

I never did see a release date mentioned....

Neil
27-Jan-2009, 12:45 PM
I'm really looking forward to this game. So you play as marines on the prison planet and the ship from the original too? Awesome.:D

I never did see a release date mentioned....

I've not read anything about a Versus mode (like in L4D)... Cos that is a damn good feature!

capncnut
27-Jan-2009, 03:08 PM
I presume that LV-426 will be a part of the game too seeing as though some of the action will be set inside the original spacecraft?

bassman
27-Jan-2009, 03:12 PM
I presume that LV-426 will be a part of the game too seeing as though some of the action will be set inside the original spacecraft?

I guess it would have to. When LV-426 was blown away, the ship would have been destroyed too. So it makes no sense for the ship to exist and not the planet. Unless the ship took off before the planet was nuked. dum dum dummmm.....

I seem to remember this company saying they couldn't get Weaver on board. If it takes place after alien 3, how could she be involved anyway? And Resurrection doesn't count....

capncnut
27-Jan-2009, 03:23 PM
I guess it would have to. When LV-426 was blown away, the ship would have been destroyed too. So it makes no sense for the ship to exist and not the planet. Unless the ship took off before the planet was nuked. dum dum dummmm...
Just found this brief tidbit on Wiki about the Aliens Vs Predator game from 1999.

In the game's story the derelict ship has survived the explosion that occurred in Aliens, and the Weyland-Yutani corporation has established a new colony, atmosphere processor, and research facility on the planetoid dedicated to studying the derelict ship and its contents.

<scratches head>

MinionZombie
27-Jan-2009, 05:40 PM
Well the bomb goes off - but it's "nuke the site from orbit" ... not nuke the planet - and the Aliens are generally only spread out in a relatively small area, correct? So therefore you'd think you'd be able to kill them...anyway...it was interesting on the Aliens SE 2-disc DVD when they said how they did that effect, essentially a model with a plastic thing with a light in it that pushes up ... nifty.

Anyway - this game looks kick ass - it'll be interesting to see how the BiA style combat works in sure-to-be-claustrophobic settings though ... that's something that confuses me a tad ... hmmm.

Although the idea of going through the Sulacco, LV-426 and Fury 161 is sheer awesome, with a side of win.

I hope this game lives up to its potential, because some Aliens-style awesomeness rendered in "next" (current) gen graphics would look bang tidy, so it would. :cool:

So will this be a proper single player game with story, but also a Co-Op/Multiplayer online mode? L4D has piss-all story and isn't engineered towards single player, correct? Aliens:CM is like a fully fleshed out title - right?

Was going to comment on this thread hours ago, but I had to drop a 2lb load, and got distracted by SModcast. :p

bassman
27-Jan-2009, 06:14 PM
Well the bomb goes off - but it's "nuke the site from orbit" ... not nuke the planet - and the Aliens are generally only spread out in a relatively small area, correct? So therefore you'd think you'd be able to kill them....

The ship couldn't of been that far from the colony. If it was close enough for Newt's family to travel out to, then it had to have been close enough for the explosion to get it. How big does Bishop say the explosion is? The size of Texas or something like that?

3pidemiC
27-Jan-2009, 06:32 PM
I shat my pants when the original Aliens:Colonial Marines was annouced when I was in middle school, and I shat myself again when this was annouced last year. Can't wait.

DawnGirl27
27-Jan-2009, 08:02 PM
This looks absolutely kick butt and I cannot wait for it to come out!!! :D

MinionZombie
27-Jan-2009, 08:23 PM
3p - I hope you changed ya troozaz both times. :D

Bassman - indeed sir, that does make sense ... so I guess really, the videogame is not going to fall specifically within the canon - although the article bangs on about the game "affecting the canon" - well it can't, because they're not the same medium.

It's like that T2:3D themepark ride - that's not proper Terminator canon.

Regardless though - bring it the fuck on! (in a Rake Yohn voice :D)

Tricky
27-Jan-2009, 10:49 PM
Oh man,im no gun nut but i love the sound of those pulse rifles :D game should be sweet!i remember been blown away by alien vs predator on the jaguar (which i still own)

mista_mo
28-Jan-2009, 04:33 PM
I'm ready, man, check it out. I am the ultimate badass! State of the badass art! You do NOT wanna fuck with me. Check it out! Hey Ripley, don't worry. Me and my squad of ultimate badasses will protect you! Check it out! Independently targeting particle beam phalanx. Vwap! Fry half a city with this puppy. We got tactical smart missiles, phase-plasma pulse rifles, RPGs, we got sonic electronic ball breakers! We got nukes, we got knives, sharp sticks...

3pidemiC
28-Jan-2009, 06:55 PM
Knock it off Hudson.

Tricky
28-Jan-2009, 08:31 PM
How it looked in the old days..
http://www.dei.isep.ipp.pt/~i000313/trabalhos/2006-2007-tmul-teorico/ficheiros_imagens/image251.jpg

i remember i was about 14 when it came out & i was so excited to own it a little bit of wee came out!:lol:

mista_mo
28-Jan-2009, 08:41 PM
looking at that old screenshot, i can see myself playing the game to the old doom music...

BEECC3xoCVU&feature=related

Neil
28-Jan-2009, 09:28 PM
looking at that old screenshot, i can see myself playing the game to the old doom music...

Did you ever see this hidden weapon in Doom?

8aJjMOy-Ops

mista_mo
28-Jan-2009, 10:00 PM
what would you call that, doom rolling?

3pidemiC
28-Jan-2009, 10:38 PM
How it looked in the old days..
http://www.dei.isep.ipp.pt/~i000313/trabalhos/2006-2007-tmul-teorico/ficheiros_imagens/image251.jpg

i remember i was about 14 when it came out & i was so excited to own it a little bit of wee came out!:lol:

I played Aliens vs. Predator for the PC when it first came out. First online game I ever played, on my dialup connection. Great game, good times.

MinionZombie
29-Jan-2009, 09:54 AM
I played Aliens vs. Predator for the PC when it first came out. First online game I ever played, on my dialup connection. Great game, good times.
I played the demo I remember, never got the actual game. At the time I was like "holy shit!" with excitement, and I remember being especially impressed by the FMV sequence at the beginning.

Just the noise of walking around with the motion tracker and then the sound comes in ... ah man.

Skippy911sc
29-Jan-2009, 05:46 PM
I had AvP for the3 Atari Jaguar...

I also have Aliens for the Apple IIc...still have that little gem :)

bassman
29-Jan-2009, 05:48 PM
I had AvP for the3 Atari Jaguar...

I also have Aliens for the Apple IIc...still have that little gem :)

Was it ever actually called "AVP" before Paul Anderson's film?

Tricky
29-Jan-2009, 06:39 PM
Ive still got "alien trilogy" for the PS1 as well,i was blown away by it at the time!even that looks pretty rubbish these days!
http://www.videogamecritic.net/images/ps/alien_trilogy.jpg

MinionZombie
29-Jan-2009, 07:13 PM
Aye that was it - Alien Trilogy - that's the one that I played the demo of - shat me up at the time, and I thought it was awesome - now you look at it and damn.

But then again, how could it ever compete with today's standards? At the time it was awesome, and that's good enough.

3pidemiC
29-Jan-2009, 07:14 PM
Yeah. The thing with me was that I always wanted to play a game where I could shoot a Pulse Rifle, I didn't care what it was. Then, I saw Aliens vs. Predator release at "Babbages" (now Gamestop) and I crapped myself. My grandma bought it for me, and I installed it (on my old HP PC running Windows 95 with a Pentium I CPU). It installed fine and started up fine and played the awesome FMV. Then, it crashed! I found out it was because I didn't look at the sticker on the front that said "3D Accelerator Card Required". I was so bummed. I literally had to wait YEARS for my parents to get a new computer. I played anything Aliens related to tide me over (Aliens Trilogy, Alien Resurrection, etc.). Then we finally got a new computer and I played the shit out of that game.

Oh, and I wrote a article about this game back when it was initially annouced:
http://www.planetavp.com/features/articles/tyler-1.shtml

Tricky
29-Jan-2009, 07:30 PM
i used to get really into games back then too,despite the basic graphics! (i didnt think of them as basic though,i thought they were the best they would EVER be :lol:) i'd get right into the character & game world & savour every bit of plot,good times!these days very few games have that effect on me,probably an age thing & expecting too much from the technology therefore being disappointed when i cant do certain things!back in the days of alien trilogy etc i just accepted flaws without a second thought & loved the games!

capncnut
30-Jan-2009, 04:18 PM
Ive still got "alien trilogy" for the PS1 as well,i was blown away by it at the time!even that looks pretty rubbish these days!
That was top little game back in the day. I gave it another blast about a year ago though and it's quite dizzying as there's no analogue camera movement. I also got quite far into it this time around. Maybe it's all these hardcore FPS's I've been playing lately, must've sharpened me up.

bassman
30-Jan-2009, 04:23 PM
Anybody remember the Alien 3 game? I think it was on SNES. Had NOTHING to do with the film.

Hell...one poster for the third film featured Ripley with a machine gun.:confused:

capncnut
30-Jan-2009, 05:06 PM
Anybody remember the Alien 3 game? I think it was on SNES. Had NOTHING to do with the film.

Hell...one poster for the third film featured Ripley with a machine gun.:confused:
Yeah, it was on the Sega Megadrive/Genesis. I completed that whole game just for the reward of one photograph of Ripley entering a cryotube with the words "Congrats! You beat the game!" :lol:

Tricky
30-Jan-2009, 05:24 PM
Yeah, it was on the Sega Megadrive/Genesis. I completed that whole game just for the reward of one photograph of Ripley entering a cryotube with the words "Congrats! You beat the game!" :lol:

I had that game too,i got it for my birthday when i was about 11 or 12 years old,download it here to play direct on your PC (no need for emulators,just install it)
http://www.games4win.com/games/alien-3/

capncnut
30-Jan-2009, 05:41 PM
I had that game too,i got it for my birthday when i was about 11 or 12 years old,download it here to play direct on your PC (no need for emulators,just install it)
http://www.games4win.com/games/alien-3/
Cheers Tricky, will have a bash at that one later.

http://www.alienscollection.com/spectrum.jpg

This oldie from the ZX Spectrum is still king of the Alien games in my eyes. :cool:

3pidemiC
30-Jan-2009, 11:19 PM

It was originally for the NES and then came out for the Genesis and SNES later on.

LoSTBoY
03-Feb-2009, 01:59 PM
Oh yeah, this looks like a goodie.

I remember the Alien vs Predator games, they gave me the fear.

Now if you can get versus matches on this, I will be pooing and weeing myself at the same time. :hyper:

Neil
12-Feb-2009, 02:47 PM
Delayed until 2010...

MinionZombie
12-Feb-2009, 03:06 PM
Delayed until 2010...
:(

Aye, heard about this on ActionTrip...well, it's okay as long as:

1) They don't ditch it altogether (but why on earth would they).
2) When the game comes out it's rock solid and awesome with no silly bugger ups.
3) They don't "do a STALKER" and string us along for years of delays. (STALKER was still awesome though :cool:).

EvilNed
12-Feb-2009, 03:38 PM
Was it ever actually called "AVP" before Paul Anderson's film?

Yes, it was.

bassman
12-Feb-2009, 03:42 PM
Yes, it was.

Hrm. I don't remember the comics or games using that abbreviation as a title until Anderson's suck fest.

Delayed till 2010? What the hell, man??? Hasn't this thing already been delayed enough? I'm beginning to wonder if it will ever see the light of day. "Game over man! Game over!!"

Oh well....I guess that just gives me more time for Ghostbusters and Arkham Asylum.

3pidemiC
12-Feb-2009, 04:06 PM
Yeah, they're delaying in favor of a new AvP game. I can't get excited about it though, because I don't think it will be anything like the AvP first person shooters that came out on the PC. My guess is it's going to be a lame third person hack n' slash game ala Predator: Concrete Jungle.

If not (and it is like the last two AvP games, then I would be presently suprised and more willing to accept this currently unacceptable delay.

fartpants
12-Feb-2009, 05:23 PM
I cant believe they have got us all hot for the game and then go and delay it again

DawnGirl27
13-Feb-2009, 05:07 PM
Man - I was looking forward to this coming out! I hope they use the extra time to get all the kinks out and make it a great game at least....

CooperWasRight
12-Jun-2010, 08:22 AM
Expect news at e3 this year on this game.

darth los
12-Jun-2010, 12:20 PM
Expect news at e3 this year on this game.

If it's anything like left for dead it's gonna kick ass.

But yeah, this one is def on my radar.

:cool:

bassman
12-Jun-2010, 01:07 PM
What makes you think there is an announcement coming? I was just looking at some of the biggest Alien and Predator sites and they haven't said anything about it. I figured they would know before anyone else...

EvilNed
12-Jun-2010, 05:17 PM
Hrm. I don't remember the comics or games using that abbreviation as a title until Anderson's suck fest.

The games did.

Danny
12-Jun-2010, 06:40 PM
wasnt this game cancelled?

Neil
12-Jun-2010, 06:48 PM
wasnt this game cancelled?

Noooooooooo!!!?!?!?!!

3pidemiC
12-Jun-2010, 08:06 PM
No, it's still in production. It's one of like 3 games that Gearbox is actively working on.

CooperWasRight
14-Jun-2010, 06:50 AM
What makes you think there is an announcement coming? I was just looking at some of the biggest Alien and Predator sites and they haven't said anything about it. I figured they would know before anyone else...

Those sites are not really places you would look for game news typically.. at least not pre-news.

Neil
14-Jun-2010, 09:03 AM
No, it's still in production. It's one of like 3 games that Gearbox is actively working on.

Yeeeeeeeeeeees!!!

bassman
14-Jun-2010, 12:16 PM
Those sites are not really places you would look for game news typically.. at least not pre-news.

Really? They were always one of the firsts to have news on Aliens vs Predator before it was released.

Anyway...where are the links? Everywhere I look it's still listed as being in limbo....

darth los
14-Jun-2010, 05:50 PM
Hopefully this won't be anything likethe AVP clusterfuck that came out a few months ago.

bassman
14-Jun-2010, 05:55 PM
Hopefully this won't be anything likethe AVP clusterfuck that came out a few months ago.

??? I liked that game...

darth los
14-Jun-2010, 06:03 PM
??? I liked that game...

That's o.k. because liking a game and the game actullay being good are 2 different things. :p

bassman
14-Jun-2010, 08:25 PM
That's o.k. because liking a game and the game actullay being good are 2 different things. :p

:lol: Douche.

What was your main problem with it?