PDA

View Full Version : A-Team Movie Back on - Ridley and Tony Scott to Produce

DjfunkmasterG
28-Jan-2009, 04:45 PM
Scott Brothers To Make A-team Movie
28 January 2009 8:00 AM, PST

Filmmaker brothers Ridley and Tony Scott are teaming up to take hit TV show The A-team to the big screen. The long-rumoured big screen adaptation will hit movie theatres in 2010, produced by the British duo and directed by Joe Carnahan.

The project was thrown into disarray in October when John Singleton quit the project.

But Carnahan is determined to breathe new life into the movie, about four Vietnam veterans who are wrongly convicted of armed robbery and escape military prison to become mercenary 'do-gooders'.

The Smokin' Aces director reveals his vision to Daily Variety: "This was a coveted property, and re-imagining a show that I remembered as a kid was tough to turn down.

"Fox (Studios) hired me to make it as emotional, real and accessible as possible without cheesing it up.

"You can make a film that reflects on the real world without losing the sense of fun, and the velocity of action in a classic summer popcorn film. Having Ridley and Tony on board lends considerable weight to that and classes up the whole project."

axlish
28-Jan-2009, 04:57 PM
They ought to get Jim Carrey as Face

B.A. will be a tough casting choice. God I hope it isn't someone like Ice Cube.

Clu Gulager would be perfect for Hannibal.

Murdock.... Hmm... Stiffler? LOL

capncnut
28-Jan-2009, 04:59 PM
That's some red hot casting right there!

AcesandEights
28-Jan-2009, 04:59 PM
Hmmm, the announcement coming out shortly after the now famous Philly_Swat Dawn/A-Team mashup vid hit the internet. Coincidence?

MoonSylver
29-Jan-2009, 12:40 AM
They could have Michael Bay do it...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KRS90V8BQGo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KRS90V8BQGo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Andy
29-Jan-2009, 12:54 AM
A A-Team movie?

:stunned:

You guys are joking?

Will hollywood not be happy until they have destroyed all my treasured childhood memories? :(

AcesandEights
29-Jan-2009, 01:39 AM

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, crap. That sounds like something he'd at least get an audition/reading for... :annoyed:

Mike70
29-Jan-2009, 01:53 AM

how bout tiny lister? i think he'd do BA justice.

the rest:

burt reynolds as hannibal
michael landes as face
rhys ifans as murdoc

if you aren't sure who michael landes is, he was in the awesome show "special unit 2" and in one of the final destination films, as well as a bunch of other character work.
KkbaJG3r_Fs

MinionZombie
29-Jan-2009, 10:40 AM
The two Scotts does put a sheen of class/quality on the whole thing ... BUT ... part of why The A-Team was so successful was the four dudes themselves.

And then how are they going to make the whole 'not killing anyone' aspect work? No doubt that'll mean PG-13 nonsense, although being a family show it'll fit better into a PG-13 environment than say, Die Hard or A-v-sodding-P.

It's perfectly understandable that they'd make it Iraq War veterans than Vietnam, because the latter is too long ago now and they won't be looking to spend a huge wodge of cash making everything look like the 1980s.

I'm completely split on this whole affair, especially being a big A-Team fan (got the whole lot on DVD), but I'm probably defaulting on the side of "ah geeeez!" until proven otherwise.

DjfunkmasterG
29-Jan-2009, 10:45 AM

Nice call, but Clu is like 83 Years old. A little too old to play Hannibal.

Could get Leslie Neilsen, but again I think he is too old.

bassman
29-Jan-2009, 12:37 PM
I loved Narc and Smoking Aces was pure fun, so i'll be there.

AcesandEights
29-Jan-2009, 12:44 PM
And then how are they going to make the whole 'not killing anyone' aspect work?

Was that mentioned somewhere else with regards to the project or did I miss it, because they may simply not go that direction in this version, or downplay the killing of people on camera. A film can still be pretty gritty and PG-13, it's just a matter of how overt the violence is.

As far as Smokin' Aces is concerned, well, I thought I'd like it, but it just came off as a movie trying too hard to be like other, far better films. I couldn't enjoy it for some reason.

axlish
29-Jan-2009, 04:47 PM
Burt Reynolds would be a pretty good Hannibal.

For BA, they should use Mighty Rasta, the guy who played Terry Tate: Office Linebacker :)

MinionZombie
29-Jan-2009, 06:50 PM
I loved Narc and Smoking Aces was pure fun, so i'll be there.
Aye, Narc was awesome, and Smoking Aces was surprisingly fun - even though it all felt like a 90 build up to nothing really happening. Anyone else feel that? There was a lot of crazy movement towards shit going down, but then it either never went down, or it didn't go splash-down as hard as you thought it might.

Perhaps it was just me ... fun though.

Narc was a gritty, kick ass cop thriller - that opening chase was quite something too - they actually had a stuntman act as cameraman on that sequence, because the actual camera people couldn't keep up - what with being weighed down - so that's an interesting fact I learned from the Total Film special feature about Narc this month.

Hopefully the movie will stay true to the show's intention and heart, and not camp it up, or pay homages to the show that are really just shitty back-handed 'compliments' or whatever.

It'll be interesting to see a trailer of it eventually - as well as details of WHO they're getting for the team itself!

That'll be another difficult task, getting the right balance - please - NO RAPPERS AS MR.T ... even though I bet Ridiculous and all sorts will be lined up round the block to take a massive, steaming turd all over a legendary part.

Mike70
29-Jan-2009, 09:53 PM
ah come on folks, the only guy to play BA is tiny lister.

http://codeforfun.files.wordpress.com/2007/01/deebo.jpg

"you ain't gettin' me up in no damn plane with this fool murdoc."

sandrock74
02-Feb-2009, 10:32 PM
I LOVE the A-Team and I was the one who had inadvertantly inspired Philly to make his A-Team/Dawn video thingee. The A-Team was a huge part of my childhood in the 80's and I feel extremely torn over news of this movie. As MinionZombie stated, part of the A-Teams appeal was in the four specific members of the team! Barring a great moment of casting magic, I just don't see that happening for this movie.

I'm worried.