PDA

View Full Version : Rock 'n' Roll, UK or USA?

LoneCrusader
01-Feb-2009, 06:31 PM
Which nation has (or had) better bands?

Just some examples..

USA: Aerosmith, Guns N' Roses, Metallica, The Eagles, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Stevie Ray Vaughan, The Doors, Van Halen, etc..

UK: The Who, Queen, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Ozzy and Black Sabbath, The Beatles, etc..

or in other words, which nation has contributed more to rock (or basically classic rock)?

Chic Freak
01-Feb-2009, 08:30 PM
I've voted UK as it's where punk originated, the genre most dear to my heart.

I'm guessing I will shortly regret my vote though as almost all my favourite bands are actually American: Marilyn Manson, Dead Kennedys, Pantera, Nirvana, Sleater-Kinney, NIN and Le Tigre.

However; I am also very fond of David Bowie, Sex Pistols, X-Ray Specs, Black Sabbath, The Cure, Queen and Garbage.

Tough call.

ProfessorChaos
01-Feb-2009, 09:13 PM
uk, and pretty handily, too. there are plenty of good bands from the us, but plenty of great bands from the uk.

SRP76
01-Feb-2009, 09:25 PM
U.S.A.

Never liked any of the "OMGTHEYRESOAWESOME" bands (like The Beatles or Zeppelin) out of the U.K. They may have "opened the door" or "paved the way" or any other cliche you want, but I just don't enjoy listening to them.

krakenslayer
01-Feb-2009, 09:39 PM
I can count on one hand the number of American bands I listen to. That said, I don't like a great many British bands either. I do, however, listen to a disproportionate number of bands from Finland.

So yeah, neither. Finland's where it's at nowadays.

Sonata Arctica, Turisas, Ensiferum, Wintersun, Finntroll, Korpiklaani, Moonsorrow, (early) Nightwish, Norther, Stratovarius, Apocalyptica, Hanoi Rocks, Battlelore... etc. etc. ;)

Mike70
01-Feb-2009, 10:00 PM
the US, easily. i cannot stand the "classic rock" bands from britian aside from black sabbath.

as for my two fav forms of music: american punk crushes british punk and it's no contest. i find british punk (aside from the clash) to be ridiculous, unmelodic and angry in a way that leaves me bored. american punk - the ramones, the misfits, circle jerks, 7 seconds, the minutemen, bad religion, etc. are much more fun.

as far as metal goes, it is even more lopsided. aside from iron maiden and black sabbath, i really cannot think of more than a couple of other british metal acts that are even remotely worth a shit in my view.

as for the beatles and led zeppelin paving the way for anything, that is a complete and total crock of shit. the beatles wanted to be like buddy holly and chuck berry and led zeppelin fancied themselves as a sort of rock version of muddy waters. so where did it all ultimately come from? the US. period. end of discussion.

now mike settles back and waits for the shitstorm to begin.

Tricky
01-Feb-2009, 10:08 PM
At the end of the day people from both sides of the pond are going to defend music from their place!But for arguments sake i prefer UK bands to US bands for the same reasons i prefer a good british film to a hollywood block buster.Im more into indie bands than brash american stuff though,and we've got that nailed over here.
Oz is where real rock comes from though :cool:

blind2d
02-Feb-2009, 02:24 AM
Why has no one mentioned Japan? - Noodle
Gotta say US. - Big Fat Russel
UK, okay? - 2D
Err... Sabbath is the greatest band ever. Satan told me to say that, but I stand by it nonetheless. - Murdoc

MoonSylver
02-Feb-2009, 02:25 AM
as far as metal goes, it is even more lopsided. aside from iron maiden and black sabbath, i really cannot think of more than a couple of other british metal acts that are even remotely worth a shit in my view.

You better tell me Judas Priest makes the cut, or you n' me got a scrap on our hands....:lol:

EvilNed
02-Feb-2009, 08:06 AM

Argh! Thanks for reminding me of some of the most horrible musical experiences I've ever had... Songs in Engrish! :(

Anyway, I vote for the UK. I really love Led Zeppelin, and besides that Queen is awesome. I like Black Sabbath alot, too. The Alan Parsons Project is another favourite of mine.

I'd have to agree with ProfessorChaos. Most great bands come from the UK, but the US has alot of good ones.

clanglee
02-Feb-2009, 09:57 AM
I've voted UK as it's where punk originated,

What What What?!?!?

The punk movement in Britain never really started until the Ramones toured there. Come on now!! New York Dolls were the band to finally kick off the punk movement. . although they were a little glam. . .they were the granddaddies of the New York punk scene. Which predates the Uk's scene by a bit.

And to answer the question. . .while a lot of my favorite bands are British. All of my very favorite are American. . .so U.S.

DjfunkmasterG
02-Feb-2009, 11:44 AM
USA, we have way more heavy rock than you all aross the pond. No offense, you gave us Sabbath, but we gave you Metallica, Megadeth, and a few other beasties.

_liam_
02-Feb-2009, 04:04 PM
Uk is good at taking leaps forward & the US is good at putting interesting spins on it/streamlining it. We give you industrial music & you gave us Ministry, Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson, we gave you NWOBHM & you gave us Thrash (and Norway gave us both Black Metal).

But yeah I think it's about even to be honest. America perhaps has marginally more bands, but considering how microscopically small the UK is, the US underachieves a bit IMO

These are bands that are both

- Huge in sales terms
- Influential

UK
Black Sabbath
Led Zeppelin
Beatles
Joy Division
The Cure
Motorhead
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Cream
Deep Purple
Sex Pistols
Damned
Clash
Godflesh
Napalm Death
Cradle of Filth
Arthur Brown
The Jam
Queen
Yes
David Bowie
Pink Floyd
King Crimson
The Who
Venom
Def Leppard
Killing Joke
Hawkwind
Radiohead
Oasis

US

KISS
Frank Zappa
Alice Cooper
Metallica
Hendrix
Slayer
Megadeth
Ramones
Misfits
Black Flag
Patti Smith Group
The Stooges
Velvet Underground
Morbid Angel
Death
Nine Inch Nails
Pantera
GBH
Discharge
Nirvana
New York Dolls
The Strokes
Korn
Faith No More
The Doors
Dead Kennedys

re: punk thing

Never mind the Ramones, it was The Stooges, MC5, Patti Smith et al that started Punk as a musical force, & The Ramones that polished & defined it.

BUT

The UK defined punk as an ethic & aesthetic - safety pins, spiky hair & politicised lyrics were the UK scene's innovation.

Also mike I have to say I'm not sure what you mean about UK punk being all aggression & less melodic, because I feel that's really more applicable to USHC sort of stuff, GBH/Discharge/Black Flag sound much more angry (and similar to each other) than say, X Ray Spex, Stiff Little Fingers & The Sex Pistols do.

I find the early UK punk scene to be a bit more eclectic than the US one, which I do also love, but it becomes very HC centric.

In any case there's only 4 bands that ever understood punk properly or did it truly effectively

- Sex Pistols
- Ramones
- Dead Kennedys
- Stiff Little Fingers

In liamland anyway

3pidemiC
02-Feb-2009, 04:12 PM
I'm going to go with the USA. I do have a handful of bands that I like from the UK, but they are grossly outnumbered by US bands. I prefer modern American punk (late 80's to present) over anything the UK has produced in that genre. I'm not a big fan of early punk, although I do respect it. I'm a huge ska fan, which again to my preference, contains more American bands that UK bands.

bassman
02-Feb-2009, 04:17 PM
I can't choose one. Good choices on both sides.

The origins of rock come from the US so that gives it a bit of an edge, imo. But still can't decide...

Chic Freak
02-Feb-2009, 04:19 PM
as for my two fav forms of music: american punk crushes british punk and it's no contest. i find british punk (aside from the clash) to be ridiculous, unmelodic and angry in a way that leaves me bored. american punk - the ramones, the misfits, circle jerks, 7 seconds, the minutemen, bad religion, etc. are much more fun.

now mike settles back and waits for the shitstorm to begin.

My contraversial view is that The Clash aren't punk anyway.

Plus, how can you like punk but not like the Sex Pistols? :eek: If I were a monkey, I'd throw poo at you.

The punk movement in Britain never really started until the Ramones toured there. Come on now!! New York Dolls were the band to finally kick off the punk movement. . although they were a little glam. . .they were the granddaddies of the New York punk scene. Which predates the Uk's scene by a bit.

The UK defined punk as an ethic & aesthetic - safety pins, spiky hair & politicised lyrics were the UK scene's innovation.

Quoted from Wikipedia:

The earliest form of punk, retroactively named protopunk, arose from garage rock in the northeastern United States in the early-to-mid-1970s. The first ongoing music scene that was assigned the punk label appeared in New York City between 1974 and 1976. Around that same time, a punk scene developed in London. Soon after, Los Angeles became home to the third major punk scene. These three cities formed the backbone of the burgeoning movement, but there were also other scenes in cities such as Brisbane, and Boston.

I found it on the internet so it must be true!

HC centric.

What does HC stand for?

CoinReturn
02-Feb-2009, 04:26 PM
USA, though there's great music to be found today in both of you look hard enough.

I've had it with punk. It's all I used to listen to in high school before I realized how simple it is. Repetitive three-chord songs over and over are fun for a little while, then they just become grating.

bassman
02-Feb-2009, 04:42 PM
USA, though there's great music to be found today in both of you look hard enough.

I've had it with punk. It's all I used to listen to in high school before I realized how simple it is. Repetitive three-chord songs over and over are fun for a little while, then they just become grating.

I was starting to think that I was the only one on HPOTD that didn't like punk. I can see why people like it and I used to, but it does get very old with time. And now that it's been years since I listened to it....I can't stand it. It's more like random noise than music, imo. Not to mention that 90% of punk singers sound like a drowning cat on mescaline.

Mike70
02-Feb-2009, 05:22 PM

Plus, how can you like punk but not like the Sex Pistols? :eek: If I were a monkey, I'd throw poo at you.

the clash from "london calliing" on were probably more post-punk, in my view at least.

i find the sex pistols very much akin to spinal tap. i find them ridiculous and they make me laugh but i cannot take them seriously.

Tricky
02-Feb-2009, 05:35 PM
Gotta say US. - Big Fat Russel
UK, okay? - 2D
Err... Sabbath is the greatest band ever. Satan told me to say that, but I stand by it nonetheless. - Murdoc

dooooood,those guys aint real,they're cartoon characters :confused:

bassman
02-Feb-2009, 06:10 PM

This kid has been keeping this game up ever since he wondered onto HPotD's doormat.:rolleyes:

It's a mad house. A MAD HOUSE!
http://charltonhestonworld2.homestead.com/files/ch-apes-7.jpg

_liam_
02-Feb-2009, 06:17 PM
the clash from "london calliing" on were probably more post-punk, in my view at least.

Aye good point, that's pretty much what it is

Mike70
02-Feb-2009, 06:23 PM
It's a mad house. A MAD HOUSE!
http://charltonhestonworld2.homestead.com/files/ch-apes-7.jpg

:lol: oh, that got a round of out loud yuck yucks out of me for sure. if that wasn't so large, that'd be going in my signature.

clanglee
02-Feb-2009, 11:22 PM
Never mind the Ramones, it was The Stooges, MC5, Patti Smith et al that started Punk as a musical force, & The Ramones that polished & defined it.

How could I have forgotten to mention the Stooges and Patty Smith?!?!? 30 lashes for me. . no complaints. Mc5. .meh. . they had the attitude. . but not really the sound.

ProfessorChaos
02-Feb-2009, 11:38 PM

and mildly annoying, too.:D

blind2d
03-Feb-2009, 02:42 AM
Hey, humor me. I'm delusional... aren't we all, though? When you think about it, we create this world around ourselves out of our perceived notions of success, security, and what we consider "normal" when it is our very senses that lie to us. Believe what you like, and I'll believe what I like. You say the world is overrun with the undead, I'll say all cartoons (yes, all) are real. Makes as much sense as anything else, right?
Anyhow, The Clash only sounded punk on their first album (eponymous). after that, it was more post-punk, ska stuff. Who did "pass the dutchie?"

AcesandEights
03-Feb-2009, 02:51 AM
Shine on, Blind2d. Don't let the haters grind you down.

clanglee
03-Feb-2009, 02:54 AM
Who did "pass the dutchie?"

Musical youth

Mike70
03-Feb-2009, 03:54 AM
What What What?!?!?

And to answer the question. . .while a lot of my favorite bands are British. All of my very favorite are American. . .so U.S.

ok. i might be way into punk and metal but i strongly feel that punk is directly descended from arguably the greatest rock musician of all time - buddy holly. lots of his songs are fast as hell (esp. for the time) and rarely exceed 2 and a half minutes in length. add to that the fact that much american punk sounds like buddy holly played even faster and that an assload of american punk bands sight him as a big influence.

JlF-4IYeI2s

i might be the only person whose itunes goes right from buddy holly to candlemass.

clanglee
03-Feb-2009, 03:58 AM
Well very true. . but that is like saying that Rock was influenced by the Blues. . . of course it was. . but it has moved on since then.

capncnut
03-Feb-2009, 07:49 PM
The man is correct. The Ramones formed in late 1974 and that early sound was the fallout from proto-punk artists such as the New York Dolls and The Stooges. Malcolm McLaren took all that home with him from New York in late 1975 and then punk was formed in the UK.

BUT punk was bigger in the UK and opened it up to the world.

The Clash's first two records are punk all the way.

I love music from both sides but the Sex Pistols are my favourite group of all-time and that's why I chose the UK.

DeadJake
09-Feb-2009, 03:43 PM
Besides being somewhat british, im going with the US personally because Lynyrd Skynyrd was probally the best thing that happened to me musically.
And Becae i love Screamo Post-hardore electronica type of shit the US have to do it for me.

krakenslayer
09-Feb-2009, 03:55 PM
If I had to pick between the two - and I'm not particularly attached to either tbh - I'd go with the UK.

To my mind, American rock is - not entirely but mostly - either about getting high, getting rich and having sex with strippers, or taking yourself way too seriously while simultaneously selling out to MTV. When I think of American rock stars I think of Kiss, Motley Crue, Guns n' Roses (who I love but still fall into this), Metallica and the like.

When I think of British rock, I think of Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Status Quo, The Who, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, etc. Bands that some might find cheesy but have an innocently intellectual spirit not typical of American bands.

I will admit that I'm using vast generalities here. But you have to in order to answer a question like this.

_liam_
09-Feb-2009, 04:15 PM
I think it's still arguable re: punk, as nobody can ever define exactly what punk is :lol:

The Ramones' first LP was certainly a catalyst for that kind of sound, but then something was brewing in the London Pub Rock scene wayyy before that LP came out, London SS was kicking about in 75, and they were basically The Clash v0.5.

I think different sides pioneered different aspects, and punk as a whole doesn't belong to anyone.

Most early UK punk took it's cues from Stooges & Dolls (Ramones definitely had an influence on most of the scene, but can you really hear it on the pistols LP? I can't, all I hear is Dolls & Stooges, Chuck Berry with extra balls), but the later, more politicised & angry US Punk bands were surely taking their cues from the Pistols & The Clash

MoonSylver
09-Feb-2009, 04:23 PM
Judas Priest

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1017/706308756_100ff13e4a.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p119/metallicaforever80/toomuchmetalforonehand.png

Mutineer
09-Feb-2009, 04:24 PM
I can't even Vote on this one. It's even steven for me.

The BEatles are my all time favorite band but both countries are solid:

Bruce Springsteen
The Ramones
Metallica
Fleetwood Mac (Formed by the English Mick Fleetwood)
REM
The Doors
Van Halen
The Eagles
Aerosmith
Dead Kennedys
Nirvana
Hendrix
Foriegner (American singer?)
CCR
Doobie Bros
Lynyrd Skynyrd