PDA

View Full Version : Christian Bale goes apeshit on the set of T4

CoinReturn
03-Feb-2009, 12:17 AM
From MSNBC

Last summer, a report surfaced that days before he was arrested on allegations of assault in London while promoting “The Dark Knight,” Christian Bale had lashed out verbally against a crew member on the set of “Terminator: Salvation.”

And today, a new tape from the reported July 2008 incident has emerged, allegedly featuring the actor screaming, shouting and using profanity at “Terminator: Salvation” director of photography, Shane Hurlbut.
JchcKGhdrsQ

The best part is his accent, it's all over the place :lol:

Mike70
03-Feb-2009, 12:22 AM
wow, dude needs to smoke a joint or something. chill out. it's a movie.

ProfessorChaos
03-Feb-2009, 12:26 AM
i've always heard he was pretty serious about his work, i guess this is pretty good proof.

from what i can gather, he seems to have a point to his ranting, but is a bit blunt with his words.

at least someone is serious about t4.:rolleyes:

*walks away shaking head in disbelief over the need for a 4th terminator film, and even more confused that christian bale would want to be a part of it*

AcesandEights
03-Feb-2009, 01:49 AM
T00minator franchize iz sirius bidnezz? :rolleyes:

Mutineer
03-Feb-2009, 05:05 AM
What a dick. Too bad to hear this.

Is he solving World Peace ? Cold Fusion ? Cancer ?

Effin Actors.

Mike70
03-Feb-2009, 05:14 AM
What a dick. Too bad to hear this.

Is he solving World Peace ? Cold Fusion ? Cancer ?

Effin Actors.

yeah, it's too bad the director (or one of the producers) didn't have the balls to simply say "shut the fuck up christian and go take a break. you work for us, we don't work for you. we're the bosses here. act like a god damn professional and not a fucking 4 year old whose had a toy taken away from them."

MoonSylver
03-Feb-2009, 05:38 AM
List of people to scream at:

1. Look in a mirror & scream at YOURSELF Christian, for agreeing to be in Terminator 4.

2. McG, for being McG

3. The producuers, writers, & the studio for making the goddamn thing in the first place.

That is all.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p206/DorothyBryant/douche.jpg

clanglee
03-Feb-2009, 05:46 AM
Wow. . .well. . . He's a prick.

krakenslayer
03-Feb-2009, 09:55 AM
If I was the director of photography, I be telling him "I'm the boss, you're an actor, shut the fuck up! Fucking Diva!"

Then I'd go and find another, more professional actor.

Unfortunately, Hollywood is governed by a culture of cronies and connections, so a successful prick like Bale could probably end someone's career if he wanted.

You know, I was sort of looking forward to this movie, but now I'm not sure if I even want to see it.

MinionZombie
03-Feb-2009, 09:58 AM
Wow - that's disappointing.

He shouldn't be mouthing off like that ... and geez, it's T-sodding-4, directed by Mc-sodding-G ... ugh.

On the other hand, I have to say that I too have had mouthy rants like that from time-to-time, but when I have them, it's just me on my own being pissed about something - and it does become a huge list of swears and abuse ... simply because I'm pissed off about something ... but I blast that out, in private, and then everything's hunky-dory.

I take it that it was a rehearsal and not an actual take?

I can understand Bale being angry at getting 'taken out of the scene' when you're 'trying to act' ... but equally, the DP has a job to do at the same time, and if it's a rehearsal - then it's a fucking rehearsal, not an actual take - you just wind up in the rehearsals, the actual shit you bring is for the actual takes.

Dude needs to take a chill pill and keep that anger behind a door somewhere, because he most likely doesn't mean it at all - hence what I said earlier about I too having the odd sweary-rant ... difference is, I keep that shit private and work the frustration out of my system and get back to what it is I'm doing.

Everyone has to work out anger at some time - it's how it's done, and Bale didn't do it right at that time, in my view.

krakenslayer
03-Feb-2009, 10:13 AM
It just pisses me off that he thinks because there's a hundred million dollars riding on the movie, and he is the recognisable public figurehead of that movie, that he can treat the crew any way he wants because he can never be fired. Did you hear him?: "I want him off the set!", like he's the fucking producer, and you know everyone's standing around too scared to stand up to him. It's the whole "I've got the power and there's nothing you can do about it" mentality, and it really infuriates me.

DjfunkmasterG
03-Feb-2009, 11:15 AM
T00minator franchize iz sirius bidnezz? :rolleyes:

That statement with your Computer Anime guy beating his head off the PC had me laughing my ass off.

This is why I would not want to work with A-Listers because if he pulled that shit with me on a set, I would have fired him on the spot. Movie or no movie. If they wouldn't fire him, they can fire me because I would not and will not put up with that shit. I as the director should be the only one allowed to act like a romper room brat who had his tonka taken away.

bassman
03-Feb-2009, 11:54 AM
Wow. That was a bit much. I can understand that maybe he's having a bad day, but damn.

Reminds me of the Lilly Tomlin/David Russell fight scenes from I Heart Huckabees.

Chic Freak
03-Feb-2009, 03:44 PM
Wow. I don't think I've ever heard someone go on that long and aggressive a diva-rant in my life.

I love how it's "his" scene rather than "their" scene... seeing as it takes more than one person to shoot a film.

Oh and btw, what is a DP? I feel really sorry for him if Bale's put the powers that be in a position where they either have to fire Bale or the DP :/

EvilNed
03-Feb-2009, 03:57 PM
The DP is the photographer. Director of Photography. As to what a DP does, that varies very much from production to production, but in Hollywood they rarely have that much to say about.

krakenslayer
03-Feb-2009, 05:06 PM
Wow. I don't think I've ever heard someone go on that long and aggressive a diva-rant in my life.

I love how it's "his" scene rather than "their" scene... seeing as it takes more than one person to shoot a film.

Yeah, it's not like he just lost his temper for a moment then backed down when he realised he'd gone over the top, he goes on and on and on and you can tell he really believes he is reacting in an acceptable manner. Either that or he just doesn't give a shit, seeing as he's the big important actor who can do anything he wants because he can just threaten everyone with the professional and financial ruin that would inevitably follow if he just walked off set and killed the project. He totally comes across as a power-tripping control freak.

He's not even that great an actor. The Machinist was the only movie he was really memorable in, and only then because he starved himself to a skeletal level for the role.

Tricky
03-Feb-2009, 06:06 PM
I dont think il watch that,il dislike him far too much to watch any of his films if i do!i hate celeb diva rants though,people like bale,mariah carey,naomi campbell,russell crowe,madonna etc need a damn good slap & a dose of reality & to realise that they arent the centre of the universe & that other people arent just their minions to boss around & scream at whenever they like!!
Celeb diva rants annoy me just about as much as celebs getting let off for blatant breaches of the law :mad::mad:

Neil
03-Feb-2009, 06:13 PM
TBH, not as bad as I expected. He was obviously royally pissed off and let absolute rip!

I'll tell you what really annoyed me though... Bale actually referring to Joseph Nichol as McG. FFS! Call him Joseph! Not some stupid tossy made up nonsense! Infact, I'm going to kick your arse f***ing Bale! Why are you trashing names! I'm f***ing serious! You're a nice guy, but that doesn't f***ing cut in! You just don't get! Stop talking! You f***ing amateur! We're f***ing done! F***ing arse... :)

DjfunkmasterG
03-Feb-2009, 06:53 PM
There are two sides to most of this stuff.

I remember one of my actors and I having a disagreement over the fact he changed a line int he script without asking me or consulting me first. There we are filming the scene for Dead 2, and I am sitting their going, why isn't this working they way it should, albeit, the actor changed one word actually.

The word in question was goddamn Because his father was a preacher he couldn't say Goddamn, so changed it to Damn, and in effect also changed the structure of the line.

This is how he said it:

"This all this, is some damn government test to engineer new soldiers."

Originally it was,

"This all this, is some goddamn government test to engineer new soldiers."

Now I originall said, hey you are saying the line wrong, and then he explained his reason for which I said, I understand, but you are an actor, this is what is asked of you, if you had a moral objection bringing it up now doesn't help, and the fact he wouldn't do it, pissed me off something fierce to where we had to take a 30 minute break.

After the break I came back and re-wrote the line and said to him, You have to say it just like this..."

The new version.

"This all this is some mutherfucking government test to engineer new soldiers"

So in the end. it didn't totally work itself out, but as payback I got a few more Mutherfuckers in the movie. :D

The point is, little things like that can set people off on a movie set, especially if it has been a stressful day, or the tail end of a day. Now if it was a rehearsal, maybe yes he went' a little overboard, but, do we know for a fact it was a rehearsal or are we just going by what the god of sleaze media, TMZ is saying?

krakenslayer
03-Feb-2009, 07:44 PM
So, let me get this straight? His preacher dad would be disappointed if he heard his son using the word "goddamn" but wouldn't bat an eyelid at "motherfucker"!?!?

People are weird. :rolleyes:

That does suck though because "goddamn government" sounds a lot more naturalistic and flows better because of the alliteration. "Motherfucking government" is a little more of a contrived-sounding mouthful, in my head at least (I've not seen it).

DjfunkmasterG
03-Feb-2009, 08:59 PM
it is a mouthful, trust me when he says it, I laugh every time, but that is the punishment I set forth for not being able to say Goddamn.

GD is 2 syllables, while Mutherfucking is 4, which makes it sound like a mouthful.

Little things like these are why sometimes people can go off on a rant. However, I still stand by my original statement, had that been Me Bale went off on, I would have told him to FUCK OFF.

I usually don't have these problems though as I keep my sets pretty jovial, but thats comparing a $6000 movie to a $160,000,000 movie. Its like comparing a Yugo to a mercedes.

MikePizzoff
04-Feb-2009, 12:23 AM
Is it just me or while he's flippin shit, does his accent seem to crossover from UK to American and then somewhere slightly in between?

Trencher
04-Feb-2009, 06:36 AM
Sounds to me that the lights guy were trying to wind Bale up with his passive agressve whining, he was probably hoping for Bale to punch him so he could sue. Seriously the way Bale was going on demanded that you either step up or back down, but every time Bale calmed down you could notice the lights guy starting to get in his little pin pricks again.
If I was working on a movie set delivering coffe or something and messed up a scene I would off course remove myself from the premises if the actor demanded it, not try to wind him up as much as I could.

krakenslayer
04-Feb-2009, 08:58 AM
Sounds to me that the lights guy were trying to wind Bale up with his passive agressve whining, he was probably hoping for Bale to punch him so he could sue. Seriously the way Bale was going on demanded that you either step up or back down, but every time Bale calmed down you could notice the lights guy starting to get in his little pin pricks again.
If I was working on a movie set delivering coffe or something and messed up a scene I would off course remove myself from the premises if the actor demanded it, not try to wind him up as much as I could.

The "victim" was not a lights guy or a coffee boy, it was the Director of Photography - the man responsible for making sure the sets, lighting etc. are to the director's wishes - and as such, a guy who has a job to do that's just as important as Bale's.

I think the guy seemed passive-aggressive because he was outraged at Bale's uncontrolled attack, but he was not allowed to stand up for himself because Bale is too important to risk having him walk off the set. In any other situation, if someone attacks you like that you'd fight back verbally or even physically, but his hands were tied and he had no real way to properly defend himself from the torrent of abuse.

Is it just me, or does the line at exactly 1:00 remind anyone else of Anchorman? :lol:

MinionZombie
04-Feb-2009, 10:20 AM
There's been a statement by the assistant director floating around online - what you'd expect really, "he was having a bad day, and he's a consumate professional".

I would like to know the full context of the rant though ... ... and Bale isn't exactly Naomi-sodding-Campbell, who turns diva behaviour into an incredibly offensive 'art' form (if I dare be so bold as to disrespect art as a whole, with such a comment for a brief moment).

I wonder if the rant - if it was a "bad day" scenario - had anything to do with that shite that happened at the Dark Knight premiere, all that stuff about his family demanding money from him ... I wonder if that was going on in the background?

If I was getting mouthed off to, I'd have mouthed back knowing me.

Nowhere near on the same scale - but I remember one time I was working at a place and the regional boss was coming round for an inspection, and the local boss got me to literally crawl on my hands and knees trying to scrub scuff marks off the skirting boards ... can't remember exactly how it momentarily kicked off, but he was barking at me about something - and I just stood up and shouted right into his face something along the lines of:

"I can only go so fast, I've only got one pair of hands!" - to which he was dumbfoundedly silent - and then I stormed out and never again did I have to crawl around on the floor - in front of customers - like that, and nor did I ever get and stick from the local boss, who avoided me completely. :p

In that situation I wasn't gonna take being mouthed off to as I'm being dragged around on my hands and knees trying to scrub away years-old scuff marks from skirting boards, just because the regional boss is coming by to see how things are going - methinks the regional boss is more concerned about how much money they're making, rather than if there's a few scuffs on the skirting boards.

So yeah, that sort of disrespect pissed me off, and I wasn't about to have anyone mouthing off at me, so I mouthed off in return and solved the problem. :D

So anyway - not in the same league by any means, nor a similar context, but just an example - I'd have probably ended up mouthing off back at Bale, take him down a notch in that moment, or at least show him I was an equal when it comes to dropping fuck-bombs. :p

Neil
07-Feb-2009, 08:48 AM
Bale speaks... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7875756.stm

SymphonicX
07-Feb-2009, 09:38 AM
I remember getting constantly "bullied" by a gallery PA for a show I used to work on...the fucking bitch would just jump on me and make narky comments and constantly assess my work which wasn't her job to do...so I called her outside and gave that f***ing bitch such a fucking mouthful, she was nearly crying....f*** her. We never really spoke after that.

MinionZombie
07-Feb-2009, 11:43 AM
Good on Bale for owning up and explaining it further, and good on you Symph for giving that mouthy bag a right good tongue-lashing.

capncnut
07-Feb-2009, 06:37 PM
Listening to that rant I can totally imagine him assaulting his mother and sister the night before The Dark Knight premiere. What a thoroughly nasty piece of work.

MinionZombie
08-Feb-2009, 09:52 AM
Listening to that rant I can totally imagine him assaulting his mother and sister the night before The Dark Knight premiere. What a thoroughly nasty piece of work.
Although define assault though, do we actually know what he did?

capncnut
08-Feb-2009, 04:36 PM
Although define assault though, do we actually know what he did?
Well 'assualt' was the words that the news stories reported. I have no idea what Bale did but from listening to that rant, it's obvious that he has a bit of a vicious streak.

Bale's mother responds to son's tirade. (http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2009/feb/05/christian-bale-mother-on-terminator-set-tirade)

People might now realise that that is his temper, they might understand a bit more. I wish he hadn't carried this on so long or so fiercely, it was upsetting to hear him."

MinionZombie
08-Feb-2009, 05:45 PM
But again, playing devil's advocate, there's mouthing off, and then there's beating people up - and in concern to the latter, there's a variety of degrees of such things.

Dude still needs to take a chill pill mind you.

DjfunkmasterG
09-Feb-2009, 11:25 AM
And now... THE REMIX

2KC4ZEBeMtk

MinionZombie
09-Feb-2009, 03:09 PM
And now... THE REMIX

2KC4ZEBeMtk
Goddamn that's funny. :D

And it's actually pretty catchy...nice ending too. :p

AcesandEights
09-Feb-2009, 10:42 PM
Not bad.

I used this whole Bale furor to introduce the GF to American Psycho which she had inexplicably not seen. So, all in all, at least someone learned something from this whole fiasco.

_liam_
09-Feb-2009, 11:47 PM
But again, playing devil's advocate, there's mouthing off, and then there's beating people up - and in concern to the latter, there's a variety of degrees of such things.

Neither is cool, especially towards towards women, and double 2 disc especialy not against yo momma

He does need to chill, combined with the organ pressure obviously inflicted on him by the machinist (can of tuna and an apple a day for months) & buffing up for batman, I'd be suprised if mateyboy doesn't drop dead by the time he's middle aged

MinionZombie
10-Feb-2009, 10:12 AM
Did I say beating people up was cool?

No I didn't - what I'm trying to say is, all we've had is talk about these events - but there's no solid context, nor solid details, and just some words in a tabloid can make things appear/sound to be different.

A random example off the top of my head being when Clarkson referred to male Top Gear fans in the audience as "apes" - in print it sounds like an insult, when you see the press conference video it's a joke.

While neither is cool (and nor did I mean that), a slap when someone's just had enough and gone over the edge for that split second, is different to a sustained campaign of brutal beatings, or even a whole evening of thuggery ... or basically an relationship as depicted on East Enders.

My point being - what exactly happened? Will we ever know? What is the whole story?