PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick my next Zombie novel....

Thorn
04-Feb-2009, 02:58 PM
Finished World War Z and I am in the need of something to read (finishing up The Road as we speak)

That having been said I know a lot of you are passionate readers, and we all dig zombies. You know me, and my taste very well by now but here is what I am looking for...

1) I prefer SLOW moving Romero zombies.
2) I hate super zombies.
3) Other monsters need not apply (i.e. no zombies vs vampires in a steel cage match to the death)

Mr.G
04-Feb-2009, 03:06 PM
I would suggest the following:

Eden: By Tommy Arlin

The author sent me a copy to help spread word of mouth.

Also, I would assume you've read The Rising/City of the Dead by Brian Keene? If not, give them a try.

I should also add a new book (haven't read it) but it's an unofficial sequel to Dawn.

Dead Reckoning: Dawning of the Dead

3pidemiC
04-Feb-2009, 05:15 PM
If you liked Brian Keen's style, I would suggest Dead Sea. I'm reading that myself right now, and we can like....reading buddies?

Not sure if you'd like The Rising / City of the Dead because you don't like "Super Zombies" and those zombies have more abilities than the classic ones. But they are definately great reads.

capncnut
04-Feb-2009, 06:11 PM
I chose Plague Of The Dead because The Words Of Their Roaring wasn't on the list. Both good books though.

Thorn
04-Feb-2009, 06:41 PM
Thanks guys I really appreciate the input. I am throwing myself into all available zombie fiction so whatever you have as far as input is appreciated.

clanglee
04-Feb-2009, 07:50 PM
Dead Sea by Brian Keene is quite good. A quick and dirty little read. And its GAR zombies with a twist (the zombie virus can infect pretty much any life form)

Mr.G
04-Feb-2009, 10:26 PM
Another two suggestions would be Reign of the Dead & Apocalypse End by Len Barnhart

Thorn
05-Feb-2009, 01:29 PM
Thanks guys

EvilNed
07-Feb-2009, 08:24 PM
I've found an interesting book-series called Tomes of the Dead, released by Abaddon books. It's basicly books set in different points throughout human history, with zombies thrown in. Oh so cheesy, but oh so damn nice to just chill out with.

Safari Mike
08-Feb-2009, 10:09 AM
Some good fiction that many forget....

The Dead by Mark E. Rogers. Brings into play religion with non-stop action.

Wet Work by Philip Nutman. A hitman gets zombified and aint happy about it. my personal copy says "Mike shoot'em in the head". from phil.

Danny
09-Feb-2009, 02:24 AM
david moody's autumn series rocks, and the first books still a free pdf on his site.

archivesofthede
09-Feb-2009, 02:14 PM
You must follow General Sherman in Plague of the Dead. You really need to see what happens to him and his group.

It's two books I think you are missing.

Thorn
09-Feb-2009, 02:16 PM
Awesome thanks guys I am off to grab some copies now, need to stock up have a long week with lots of downtime.

Thorn
10-Feb-2009, 02:43 PM
david moody's autumn series rocks, and the first books still a free pdf on his site.

Hm I do not seem to be able to find it. I did find a short story called Autumn in the fiction section though... anyone point me in the right direction?

Miculus
11-Feb-2009, 06:05 AM
Autumn was taken down by the author.

http://www.djmoody.co.uk/Autumn.htm

The site says "If you hunt hard enough around the Internet you'll probably be able to find a copy somewhere..."

Cartma7546
11-Feb-2009, 07:03 AM
If you want a classic good zombie novel get down the road. Its a good read. Same goes for its sequel. The Dead by Mark E Rogers is also good but if you don't like the unkillable zombies skip it. The rising is excellent if you want to skip the norm. Dead City is a little slow at times and hard to get into which sucked for me cause it takes place in my home town. Plague of the dead is collecting dust on my book shelf so i can't give you the thumbs up or down on it but i've heard good things. I didn't care too much for twilight of the dead although it does have neat little things to add to the genre. Alot of people dog it but I liked the reign of the dead series which falls under classic GAR type zombie adventures. The last one i can add to this list is monster island which i am almost done with, and it is great so far. Oh and sorry but thumbs down to eve of the dead

Safari Mike
11-Feb-2009, 08:48 AM
Dang, has nobody read Wet Work by Philip Nutman? Back in the day we had something we called the zombie library where we traded books on this website and I put into circulation several copies of Wet Work, The Dead, NIght--Return--Dawn of the Dead, Book of the Dead and Still Dead Book II by Craig Spector, and others. It was a concept that worked well...for awhile and then people just decided to keep them instead of passing them on. Sad, but...oh well.

Thorn
11-Feb-2009, 05:05 PM
Autumn was taken down by the author.

http://www.djmoody.co.uk/Autumn.htm

The site says "If you hunt hard enough around the Internet you'll probably be able to find a copy somewhere..."

thank you

Thorn
13-Feb-2009, 01:47 PM
Almost done with the free version of Autumn now.

Never read Wetwork but the name has special significance to me so I am looking forward to it, can you give me a brief summary?

I just bought Day by Day Armageddon largely because it was in stock when I hit the bookstore.

I am NOT a fan of diary style writing but maybe it will be okay, I was told it was "traditional Romero zombies" with slight use of some runners. Meh.

Crappingbear
13-Feb-2009, 02:23 PM
Wet Work is essentially about a group of assassins/spec ops types in a zombie breakdown. Its not really a spoiler to say the lead character gets taken out and returns as thats the whole book. He is a thinking zombie out for revenge with assassins training. Interesting take.

zombiekiller
13-Feb-2009, 02:30 PM
Finished World War Z and I am in the need of something to read (finishing up The Road as we speak)

That having been said I know a lot of you are passionate readers, and we all dig zombies. You know me, and my taste very well by now but here is what I am looking for...

1) I prefer SLOW moving Romero zombies.
2) I hate super zombies.
3) Other monsters need not apply (i.e. no zombies vs vampires in a steel cage match to the death)

you ever read a book called wet works. it's a zombie book, buttheir like smart zombies that try to take over the world. been a while since i read it. think that's how the plot goes.

Thorn
13-Feb-2009, 04:37 PM
interesting! Thanks guys.

I REALLY liked Autumn. I found that the zombies for the most part are very true to the Romero rules and that the characters are well fleshed out and developed. I was sucked in from the get go. While there was not a lot of "horror/shock/gore" There was MASSIVE amounts of tension, and when you did have those action moments thrown in they really counted for something.

I would strongly recommend it... plus hey it was a free read online.