PDA

View Full Version : Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection (360/PS3)

CoinReturn
04-Feb-2009, 10:14 PM
xlp5ZOV4Gyg
I've been in a retro mood lately, and I'd almost forgotten that this awesome compilation of Genesis exclusive classics comes out this month. The list of games included:

Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
Alien Storm
Alien Syndrome (arcade)
Altered Beast
Beyond Oasis
Bonanza Bros.
Columns
Comix Zone
Congo Bongo (arcade)
Decap Attack
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
Dynamite Headdy
ESWAT: City Under Siege
Ecco the Dolphin
Ecco: The Tides of Time
Fantasy Zone (arcade)
Fatal Labyrinth
Flicky 2
Gain Ground
Golden Axe
Golden Axe II
Golden Axe III
Golden Axe Warrior (Sega Master System)
Kid Chameleon
Phantasy Star (Sega Master System)
Phantasy Star II
Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium
Ristar
Shining in the Darkness
Shining Force
Shining Force II: Ancient Sealing
Shinobi (arcade)
Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
Sonic 3D Blast
Sonic & Knuckles
Sonic Spinball
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Space Harrier (arcade)
Streets of Rage
Streets of Rage 2
Streets of Rage 3
Super Thunder Blade
Vectorman
Vectorman 2
Zaxxon

It comes out next Tuesday for only $30, an absolute steal if you as me.

krakenslayer
04-Feb-2009, 10:23 PM
Just another attempt by the cash grabbing gamecos to keep free ROM distribution and emulation of old/obsolete classic games illegal, if you ask me. Seriously, the only reason they re-release these games for retail is so they can keep a firm hold on the rights.

You'd think after nearly 20 years of technological advancement and huge profits they'd have the goodwill to let us play their ancient (but admittedly great) classics for free, since they have plenty of new games coming out, making them millions. Especially when the vast majority of the people who will buy this game will probably have already bought, paid for at full retail price, and completed most of these games at some point over the Mega Drive's decade-long lifespan.

CoinReturn
04-Feb-2009, 10:27 PM
I totally see where you're coming from, but at the same time, I haven't had the pleasure of playing a great majority of these games (namely the Phantasy Star series). To do so with versions upgraded visually and with achievements, I'll gladly pay a discounted price for a few dozen classics.

I'll tell you what's a ripoff, though. The fact that some of these games sell for 5-10 bucks each on WiiWare, PSN and Xbox Live.

krakenslayer
04-Feb-2009, 10:34 PM
I'll tell you what's a ripoff, though. The fact that some of these games sell for 5-10 bucks each on WiiWare, PSN and Xbox Live.

Yeah, exactly. You could buy most of the earlier games as budget titles in stores for that price (and less) in the latter half of the console's lifespan.

The Xbox live thing was actually what was in the forefront of my mind when I posted the above rant. I guess if they're upgrading the games in some way, that at least gives them some excuse for being allowed to fleece us again.

Also, I think noticing the absolutely pish RiStar on the otherwise brilliant list subconsciously stirred up my anger. :lol:

Mr.G
04-Feb-2009, 10:36 PM
What would make it perfect is adding Herzog Zwei. Man I miss that game!

capncnut
04-Feb-2009, 10:40 PM
Ristar
Cor, it's been a while since I played that one.

slickwilly13
04-Feb-2009, 10:54 PM
You are right about some of the titles being priced at $5 each. At least Golden Axe on XBL is the arcade version and not the Genesis/Mega Drive version. I will probably get it for the hell of it. Its a great deal with the alumni of hits. Too bad Warsong is not on here. But I own the game and have it on my computer, so its no big deal. Btw, is that a typo w/ Streets of Rage? *SOR3*

MikePizzoff
04-Feb-2009, 10:56 PM
I'll probably pick up this collection after a price-drop. I'd get it at the full $30 but lately when I've been trying to play retro game collections, they don't hold my attention. I play each game for like 10 minutes because I figure "Hey, there's a bunch more on here"... then I'm sick of it within a couple of days.

CoinReturn
04-Feb-2009, 11:41 PM
Btw, is that a typo w/ Streets of Rage? *SOR3*
Whoops, fixed.

Decap Attack and Dynamite Headdy are two of my favorite games ever, so I'm glad to see those two on there. I would've liked Gunstar Heroes and Rocket Knight Adventures, but overall I think it's an awesome collection.