PDA

View Full Version : Battlefield 1943: Pacific announced for XBLA/PSN

CoinReturn
06-Feb-2009, 05:31 PM
The first trailer for Battlefield 1943 can be found here (looks amazing):
http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_9992_en.html

The game is digital download only, so there will be no retail version. It's basically 3 of the best maps from BF1942 re-done in the Frostbite engine (Guadalcanal, Iwo Jima and Wake Island). Hopefully it will be under $20.

http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/10032/1781_0002.jpg
http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/10032/1781_0003.jpg

Also, first Battlefield: Bad Company 2 screen:
http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/10032/1781_0001.jpg

krakenslayer
06-Feb-2009, 05:35 PM
Very pretty. Wonder if there'll ever be a PC version.

BF: Vietnam remains my favourite Battefield game to this day.

CoinReturn
06-Feb-2009, 05:37 PM
Ah, I just found that there will indeed be a PC version. Good news all around!

MikePizzoff
06-Feb-2009, 05:40 PM
Awesome! I used to play 1943 back in high school. Can't wait for this!

fartpants
08-Feb-2009, 10:50 AM
lets hope it plays as well as it looks

MinionZombie
08-Feb-2009, 12:10 PM
Mike - you mean BF1942. :)

BF:BC was good fun, hopefully BF:BC2 will continue the trend - but just make it better over all - and truly make the easy mode easy, so you can just have a silly amount of fun. Even in easy mode the enemy have an amazing ability to hone in on you immediately...plus attacking choppers are just relentless.

When I play easy mode, I want it to be an utter cake walk piss easy party. :p

Hopefully there'll be lots of weather, not just snow, but massive thunder and rain storms with lightening going nuts in the background and so on.

Although the first half or so of BF:BC was better than the last third, I have to say.

BF: Vietnam is also my favourite BF game, it's a classic that is - if only there were more FPS games set in Vietnam - when-oh-when will Infinity Ward give us a Vietnam-set COD game?

I also remember playing BF1942 a few years back, even if some of the weapons were simply naff...Battlefield 2 on the other hand, felt quite fiddly and the aiming too small in scope - like you had to hit a tiny target from not even that far away quite often - at least that's how I felt about it.

BF:BC redressed the shooting part a bit more, but more work needs doing to make it just a slab of fun in a bun.

BF:Vietnam is still the Battlefield game though, it has to be said. :cool:

3pidemiC
08-Feb-2009, 01:37 PM
There are only 3 classes now. :(

CoinReturn
08-Feb-2009, 02:20 PM
There are only 3 classes now. :(
True, but it's not a full-fledged sequel. That's what Bad Company 2 is for.

1942 Pacific should be worth it for the aerial combat alone, unless they really screw it up somehow.

CoinReturn
23-Apr-2009, 05:52 PM
DICE Announces $15 Price for Battlefield 1943

Premium Arcade Title Delivers Endless Hours of Multiplayer Fun, Legendary WWII Battlefield Action and Destruction

STOCKHOLM--(BUSINESS WIRE)--DICE, an Electronic Arts Inc. studio (NASDAQ:ERTS), today announced that Battlefield 1943™ will be available in June for $15 USD in the Xbox LIVE™ Marketplace (1200 MS Points) or the PlayStation®Store. The action-packed arcade title will also be available for PC in September. Battlefield 1943 is an all-new multiplayer game that offers endless hours of 24-player action in popular maps inspired by Battlefield 1942™, now updated with the Frostbite™ engine. The total destructibility afforded by the Frostbite engine ups the ante and leaves players with nowhere to hide.

In Battlefield 1943, intense battles ensue over three classic and tropic locations; Wake Island, Guadalcanal and Iwo Jima. Gamers play as the US Marines or the Imperial Japanese Navy, competing by land, air and sea. Players have the freedom to pick their path in battle - be it as a rifleman crawling through the trenches, a steel fisted tank commander, or a dog fighting pilot that protects the skies.

“Using the same Frostbite engine that we developed for Battlefield: Bad Company, we are able to take players back to WWII and return to the roots of the Battlefield franchise, but with a new twist – destruction,” said Gordon Van Dyke, Producer on Battlefield 1943. “We want to offer gamers the most accessible online shooter experience and the best value found in any premium download title with Battlefield 1943.”

For more information on DICE, please visit www.dice.se or www.ea.com. For more information on Battlefield 1943 please visit: www.battlefield1943.com.

About Electronic Arts

Electronic Arts Inc. (EA), headquartered in Redwood City, California, is the world's leading interactive entertainment software company. Founded in 1982, the Company develops, publishes, and distributes interactive software worldwide for video game systems, personal computers, cellular handsets and the Internet. Electronic Arts markets its products under four brand names: EA SPORTSTM, EATM, EA SPORTS Freestyle TM and POGOTM. In fiscal 2008, EA posted GAAP net revenue of $3.67 billion and had 27 titles that sold more than one million copies. EA's homepage and online game site is www.ea.com. More information about EA's products and full text of press releases can be found on the Internet at http://info.ea.com.

EA, EA SPORTS, EA SPORTS Freestyle and POGO are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. Battlefield 1943, Battlefield 1942 and Frostbite are trademarks or registered trademarks of EA Digital Illusions CE AB.

Console versions release in June, PC in September.

Tricky
23-Apr-2009, 06:22 PM
Ahhh wake island....ive fought many a hard battle there on battlefield 2!looking forward to having a crack at this one!as long as it doesnt get full of muppets like BF2 did...

AcesandEights
23-Apr-2009, 06:32 PM
That Bad Company 2 screen is a beaut!

SymphonicX
23-Apr-2009, 08:41 PM
BF:BC was a let down for me, the single player was totally embarassing - and the hard/normal/easy achievements are unlinked so you do it on Hard, which I did, and you have to go through again for easy and normal achievements, and it wasn't that much fun or that challenging on hard anyway.

the multiplayer was good, save for lack of game modes, and cheaters. Once the cheating ironed out, it was fairly fun, then the community died off and no one plays it now. bah.

this 1942 thing looks kinda fun for 20 quid but unless they magically make it 6 maps instead of three, i don't want to know.

MikePizzoff
23-Apr-2009, 11:49 PM
Ahhh wake island....ive fought many a hard battle there on battlefield 2!looking forward to having a crack at this one!as long as it doesnt get full of muppets like BF2 did...

Ah! I thought that was my favorite map from BF2!!! I spent countless hours having a blast every time I played that map.

this 1942 thing looks kinda fun for 20 quid but unless they magically make it 6 maps instead of three, i don't want to know.

Yeah I dunno how I feel about paying $15 for 3 maps...

CoinReturn
28-Jun-2009, 06:10 PM
July 9th for console versions, plus a new map unlocked when the community reaches 43,000,000 kills:

Ship out for battle today with Battlefield 1943™
Unlock a 4th Pacific location - Coral Sea - with Air Superiority Game Mode once you've collectively reached 43 million kills in the first three maps. Be there when the game hits the PlayStation® Network and Xbox LIVE® Arcade on July 9th and begin the quest to reach the community goal! Click here to learn more about this cool community challenge.

CoinReturn
02-Jul-2009, 03:25 PM
Guadalcanal trailer, looking great:

0Js8HnIPY4M

EDGE gave it a 9/10 in this month's issue, here are their closing comments:

Three levels provide for the conquest gametype familiar to the series, while another, Coral Sea, is pure air combat. Variety has always been Battlefield's defining feature, and drawing out a single facet of play will not be to everyone's taste - but its place on the matchmaking rota is optional. Even with only four levels, the game is a more then generous serving: for less then a quarter of Bad Company's release price, this is the choice cut of its better half - multiplayer. And this is a yet more pacy, extravagant affair, tapping directly into the whims of the player who just wants to cover a plane in det-packs and plough into an aircraft carrier. Strategy is subordinate to a sense of fun - and you wonder if that's what the series needed all along. A perfectly sized, expertly crafted romp. Pacific gives other download games their marching orders.

3pidemiC
02-Jul-2009, 03:33 PM
Coming to PC dammit! Where you fucking belong!

MikePizzoff
08-Jul-2009, 04:40 AM
It'll be available in a few hours!!! I can't wait to wake up and spend my day playing this. I'm a dork.

CoinReturn
08-Jul-2009, 08:37 PM
Me and a few of my buddies have been playing this for the past hour or so, and It's gotta be one of the most impressive XBLA/PSN games so far. Apparently people have had issues with connection errors, but I've been lucky so far. Definitely worth the 15$ if you're a fan of earlier games or want an accessible, fast paced online shooter.

C5NOTLD
08-Jul-2009, 09:51 PM
Coming to PC dammit! Where you fucking belong!

I agree. Looking forward to this.

I still play Battlefield 2 and special forces all the time.

Craig
09-Jul-2009, 01:19 PM
I may have to buy this once my 360 is repaired and if it's not too much money, it does look like a lot of fun and I enjoyed what little I played of Battlefield 2... As always though, the lack of historical accuracy in what I've seen is getting on my tits a little :p.

MikePizzoff
09-Jul-2009, 04:37 PM
What a great game! Definitely the best XBLA game out to date!!! Reminds me of the good days of BF2. Although there are only 3 maps, it still is constant fun as all 3 maps are designed well.

However, I'm not looking forward to when they throw the Coral map into the mix because I'm not very good at flying planes and that map is a flying-only map from what I've gathered.

This game has done so amazing in it's launch... I'm really hoping they will release more maps in the future!

darth los
09-Jul-2009, 07:27 PM
What a great game! Definitely the best XBLA game out to date!!! Reminds me of the good days of BF2. Although there are only 3 maps, it still is constant fun as all 3 maps are designed well.

However, I'm not looking forward to when they throw the Coral map into the mix because I'm not very good at flying planes and that map is a flying-only map from what I've gathered.

This game has done so amazing in it's launch... I'm really hoping they will release more maps in the future!

Being that it was relatively inexpensive to make coupled with th fact that it's only 3 maps I'd say that's a good bet.

I guess the reviews are in. This game rocks!! So I will have to go download it 2 nite!! :hyper:

:cool:

MikePizzoff
10-Jul-2009, 11:41 PM
Be forewarned, Darth, it can be a huge pain in the ass to get into a game. They claim they "underestimated the amount of people that'd buy this game" and didn't have NEARLY enough servers ready. The day it launched it was virtually impossible to play a game. However, it's increasingly getting better, but it's still not completely resolved.

darth los
13-Jul-2009, 05:13 PM
Be forewarned, Darth, it can be a huge pain in the ass to get into a game. They claim they "underestimated the amount of people that'd buy this game" and didn't have NEARLY enough servers ready. The day it launched it was virtually impossible to play a game. However, it's increasingly getting better, but it's still not completely resolved.

Thnx for the heads up. I actually downloaded the demo and I'm gonna try it out before I purchase anything I can't tell you how many times I've gone head first into an arcade purchase only to get burned. But you guys make it sound like a blast so I'm probably gonna take the plunge. (If you can call spending 15 bucks that. :lol:)

:cool:

CoinReturn
14-Jul-2009, 04:03 PM
Xbox 360 will get the Coral Sea map unlocked today by the looks of things, we've got about 40,000,000 kills to PS3's 20,000,000. I hope my piloting skills are up scratch.

Skippy911sc
14-Jul-2009, 06:36 PM
I tried a couple times to play in a live game...no luck. They always had crap servers...

MikePizzoff
14-Jul-2009, 08:38 PM
I tried a couple times to play in a live game...no luck. They always had crap servers...

You are correct. I've had a bunch of EA games that had miniscule amounts of servers with little-to-no tech support. However, try playing again; as of the past 2 days I've had absolutely no trouble getting into servers.

MikePizzoff
13-Aug-2009, 12:16 PM
I still play this game far more than any of my other games. Anyone else?

AcesandEights
13-Aug-2009, 12:19 PM
I've been playing a lot, myself. It's easy to hop on for a few games and then be off to do something else.

CoinReturn
13-Aug-2009, 04:15 PM
I still play regularly. It's the perfect game to quickly jump into and play a few rounds with no headaches of setting up a room, inviting people, etc.

MikePizzoff
16-Jul-2010, 04:26 PM
Just started playing this game again. Awesome to see that so many people still play it. It's re-gained new life for me, since I haven't touched it in so long. I used to play as the rifle class - now I've been doing solely sniping; really changes the feel and intensity of the game.

AcesandEights
16-Jul-2010, 04:40 PM
Just started playing this game again. Awesome to see that so many people still play it. It's re-gained new life for me, since I haven't touched it in so long. I used to play as the rifle class - now I've been doing solely sniping; really changes the feel and intensity of the game.

I really did enjoy the hell out of that game and liked the variety of play-styles the different classes encouraged. All for a quick easy download on XBL. I hope they will roll out more of these.

MikePizzoff
16-Jul-2010, 04:49 PM
It's still awesome to hop in a plane, go bomb en enemy base, then parachute to a high vantage point with a sniper rifle and pick off a couple (or a lot) of people.