PDA

View Full Version : Any "old timer members" still here?

Safari Mike
08-Feb-2009, 10:13 AM
Forgive me for being self indugent. I was a member here a decade ago by the name of Crappingbear. For whatever reasons, when Neil made all the nifty dandy improvements I never could register or post. Finally, things seem to work. Are any of the old guard still here or have all sadly gone by the wayside?

krakenslayer
08-Feb-2009, 11:16 AM
I vaguely remember your screen-name from the days when I was a mere lurker, back in the days before you actually had to register to post. I have also, recently, seen a lot of people mention you around here in the context of "One of these days Crappingbear's is gonna walk through that door and all will be well with the world". So I would expect quite a reaction to this thread once the penny drops with the rest of the old timers. :D

Safari Mike
08-Feb-2009, 11:28 AM
I vaguely remember your screen-name from the days when I was a mere lurker, back in the days before you actually had to register to post. I have also, recently, seen a lot of people mention you around here in the context of "One of these days Crappingbear's is gonna walk through that door and all will be well with the world". So I would expect quite a reaction to this thread once the penny drops with the rest of the old timers. :D

I am indeed the old school Manitou Crappingbear risen once again. Are any of my old friends still here?

In penance I give you Johnny Clegg from South Africa with Great Heart. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_9xtCbRgH4

MoonSylver
08-Feb-2009, 12:21 PM
Forgive me for being self indugent. I was a member here a decade ago by the name of Crappingbear. For whatever reasons, when Neil made all the nifty dandy improvements I never could register or post. Finally, things seem to work. Are any of the old guard still here or have all sadly gone by the wayside?

Holy schnilkes! Crappingbear rides again! Welcome back brother! Funny you should post this question! We were just talking about ye olde guard HERE:http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?t=12800&referrerid=106

Safari Mike
08-Feb-2009, 12:24 PM
Holy schnilkes! Crappingbear rides again! Welcome back brother! Funny you should post this question! We were just talking about ye olde guard HERE:http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?t=12800&referrerid=106

Ive missed you guys. Hopefully I wont let you down so the new blood thinks wth? :)

FoodFight
08-Feb-2009, 06:11 PM
Welcome back CB! No discussion of BBQ's has been the same without your input and guidance. BTW, I still use your 'Like a chicken on a junebug' comment at every opportunity.

Safari Mike
08-Feb-2009, 07:17 PM
Ah, the old chicken on the june bug. Good stuff. Version 2.O is "like a rat on a cheeto". :)

Danny
09-Feb-2009, 02:16 AM
this is eerie, mention someone and they appear.

its like the ring meets field of dreams.

-which would be a kickass movie in retrospect.

rightwing401
09-Feb-2009, 02:46 AM
Let's see...I started visiting this site back in highschool, which was back in '02. So seven years I guess makes me an old timer. I think I remember you.

God I feel old. :skull:

krakenslayer
09-Feb-2009, 09:04 AM
Didn't there used to be someone on here called "I'd Salute You Bub!"? For some reason, that nickname always tickled me.

wayzim
09-Feb-2009, 12:35 PM

Been here almost forever, I guess, though everytime the boards recycle it keeps shunting me back to Fresh Kill status.
Still, welcome back.

Wayne Z
"This ain't no creature double feature or midnight horror flick, babe. "

MoonSylver
09-Feb-2009, 01:10 PM
Didn't there used to be someone on here called "I'd Salute You Bub!"? For some reason, that nickname always tickled me.

2Tall2Slow2 was the one that always cracked me up.;)

Thorn
09-Feb-2009, 01:37 PM
Crapping bear I remember you well, I made a signature for you, and we had a lot of great discussions back in the day with the old school board members.

I will miss your old name though.

I myself took a break for a while after it got way too political around here, but I find that you can come home and there were some of the old guard and a lot of new faces with a lot to offer to great zombie discussions.

It's a great community.

IdSaluteYou Bub or however it was spelled was a great screen name I seem to recall him as a younger guy.

dmbfanintn
09-Feb-2009, 03:38 PM
I remember the Crappinbear!!!

Sup man...

DaDeadGuy
09-Feb-2009, 03:59 PM
Every once and a while :P I remember you Crappingbear

sammylou
09-Feb-2009, 04:37 PM
I think it's cool how you guys all remember each other and stuff. I'm still a total n00b around here, but I love the sense of community and enjoy all of the discussions on here, even just reading them is interesting. Thanks to you guys for making it such a cool community and accepting new members (like myself)

Eyebiter
09-Feb-2009, 05:28 PM
Few old timers still around. Some got banned during the flamewar of 04-05. Some just lurk instead of posting, or are in the "other" part of the forum.

Whenever a new Romero or other mass market zombie movie hits theaters a few return to post again.

Safari Mike
10-Feb-2009, 12:19 AM
Crapping bear I remember you well, I made a signature for you, and we had a lot of great discussions back in the day with the old school board members.

I will miss your old name though.

I myself took a break for a while after it got way too political around here, but I find that you can come home and there were some of the old guard and a lot of new faces with a lot to offer to great zombie discussions.

It's a great community.

IdSaluteYou Bub or however it was spelled was a great screen name I seem to recall him as a younger guy.

I do indeed remember that sig. :) Over the years for whatever reason I never could get the site to let me re-register correctly and I "assume" all those attempts locked up the Crappingbear name in a vault forever more. If Neil has a way to maybe change my current name back to Crappingbear that would be cool. Maybe I should pm him.

Good to see some of you old names still around. I can't say I've been overly impressed by many zom movies the last few years so nothing exciting to say there.

MoonSylver
10-Feb-2009, 12:56 AM
I do indeed remember that sig. :) Over the years for whatever reason I never could get the site to let me re-register correctly and I "assume" all those attempts locked up the Crappingbear name in a vault forever more. If Neil has a way to maybe change my current name back to Crappingbear that would be cool. Maybe I should pm him.

Looks like the old one is still there. If they delete the old account you should be able to change the new one?

Good to see some of you old names still around. I can't say I've been overly impressed by many zom movies the last few years so nothing exciting to say there.

Had a feeling you might feel that way, especially *ahem* about Land & Diary. Or even Dawn '04 for that matter.

How 'bout "Shaun of the Dead"? (yeah it's a comedy, but still...)

If you get a chance, check out "Dead Set". It's quite a piece of work. Best zombie movie I've seen in a looong while. I'd stack it up against just about any zed movie you'd care to name, including the works of GAR himself.

[REC] from Spain (remade as Quarantine here is the states) was quite good.

"Flight of the Living Dead" was fun IMO (though not deep by any means)

I've heard good things about "Fido", but have yet to watch my copy.

"The Zombie Diaries" from the UK was a grim little low budget-er. A bit uneven, but worth a look.

But yeah, there's a LOT of other movies (see my list posted HERE:http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?t=12780&referrerid=106 ) that are.....:eek::stunned::eek: (& not in a good way)

Philly_SWAT
10-Feb-2009, 04:57 AM
After lurking and not posting for a while, I registered back in March of 2003. Does that categorize me as an "old timer?"

zombiekiller
10-Feb-2009, 07:53 AM

i been on for a while myself. used to go by the name undertaker on here. still use it on the fiction page

Thorn
10-Feb-2009, 02:25 PM
Either way, welcome back CB always good to see old friends. If you need anything or want to chat look me up!

MagicMoonMonkey
10-Feb-2009, 02:58 PM
You vanished quite abruptly from the old forums if my memory serves me right. You were the guy that was ex military were you not? I enjoyed your insight all those years ago.

I went under the name of Wildee in the old forums... 6 years and I amassed an amazing post total of abt 320 or so posts, only to see my efforts vanish back to zero when the new forums went on-line.

Anyhoo, it is good to see you alive and well, and I look forward to reading what you have to say again.

dmbfanintn
10-Feb-2009, 04:31 PM
or are in the "other" part of the forum.

Oh man, does the "cool kids" forum still exist? I remember when that was created for the chosen few and there was some major whinage going on.

I didnt think that forum was still around, or that it even needed to be used anymore.

Too bad we cant all be "cool kids!":p:cool:

sammylou
10-Feb-2009, 10:14 PM
What was the Flamewar in 04-05 someone mentioned? Was it bad?

Safari Mike
11-Feb-2009, 09:01 AM
You vanished quite abruptly from the old forums if my memory serves me right. You were the guy that was ex military were you not? I enjoyed your insight all those years ago.

I went under the name of Wildee in the old forums... 6 years and I amassed an amazing post total of abt 320 or so posts, only to see my efforts vanish back to zero when the new forums went on-line.

Anyhoo, it is good to see you alive and well, and I look forward to reading what you have to say again.

Wildee I do remember you, glad you remember me. :) Glad to see you still around. So many new names (like me) that I hope we keep reminding ourselves who we were as it was much fun in the old days.

Crappingbear

MoonSylver
11-Feb-2009, 02:31 PM

Pretty unpleasant. Made the place not a lot of fun. Less said the better.

Oh man, does the "cool kids" forum still exist? I remember when that was created for the chosen few and there was some major whinage going on.

I didnt think that forum was still around, or that it even needed to be used anymore.

Too bad we cant all be "cool kids!":p:cool:

GHAH!!! I hope not. If so, let 'em have it. I prefer this one anyway.;)

Wildee I do remember you, glad you remember me. :) Glad to see you still around. So many new names (like me) that I hope we keep reminding ourselves who we were as it was much fun in the old days.

Crappingbear

Nice to see your old avatar back BTW.;)

Thorn
11-Feb-2009, 04:49 PM

Yeah I agree with what has been said it is better left in the past, not to be rude to you of course it is a legitimate question. Suffice to say I left the boards over it and I am a die hard zombie freak as any fool can plainly see.

I will stick to the Zombie boards now though, avoid general discussion, and maybe pop into the game board but I am keeping my HPOTD experience about undead.

MoonSylver
11-Feb-2009, 10:50 PM
I will stick to the Zombie boards now though, avoid general discussion, and maybe pop into the game board but I am keeping my HPOTD experience about undead.

I've learned there are some threads to "just say no" to.;)

Also, I've learned if I state my opinion & you state yours, & we don't agree, let it go. I've stated my position, you've stated yours, neither of us is going to convince the other most likely, & eventually it's gonna get snarky & heated. If that means letting the other person get the last word in, hey, that's cool, no worries. I'm not keeping score or anything. My opinion is still my own. No big.

Uh...I mean "you" in a general sense, not YOU personally...:o

Mike70
12-Feb-2009, 05:52 AM
jesus h. christ in a chariot driven sidecar. as soon as i saw that avatar, i knew it had to be crappingbear.

damn, and like a few posts above moonsylver and i were bemoaning the fact you don't come around anymore.

there have been a few name changes, i am the artist formerly known as scipio70.

this is eerie, mention someone and they appear.

first person who mentions chaos, trioxin or gv2steve after this post, gets their ass kicked.:lol:

MoonSylver
12-Feb-2009, 05:58 AM
It's been spooky...mention someone & *poof* they reappear. Perhaps I should start using that as a nuclear deterrent..."Don't make me mention... (insert obnoxious former HPOTD'er you don't want to return here) :lol::p:hyper:

Mike70
12-Feb-2009, 06:02 AM
Pretty unpleasant. Made the place not a lot of fun. Less said the better.

*shudders like a survivor of the day after*

yeah, sorry i think i brought up that little bit of not so pleasant history.

MoonSylver
12-Feb-2009, 06:26 AM
*shudders like a survivor of the day after*

yeah, sorry i think i brought up that little bit of not so pleasant history.

No worries. It's not a bad thing to remember for those of us who were around at the time. Makes us appreciate how much better things are now. What I will NOT do is rehash specifics or name names or point fingers. Just seems in bad taste, an open invitation to return to those days, & risks re-igniting old grudges or feuds.

Besides, start namin' names & then *POOF*....:eek::eek::eek:

capncnut
12-Feb-2009, 06:51 AM
Like some of the others, Crapping Bear is a name I remember from lurking, but unlike some others I prefer the name of Safari Mike. Purely for the...

Lets go surfin' now
everybody's learning how
come on a safari with me

...factor, LOL.

Not just that but the Goblin track Safari. :cool:

Safari Mike
12-Feb-2009, 08:20 AM
Well, you boyos sound like a whole bunch a pussiness took place in my absence. Im seeing hints of flame wars, etc... so undoubtedly Neil and co horts took care of things. Im glad to reappear for a bit. And no, Im not joking when I get mountain man on survival stuff, thats the real deal. :)

DjfunkmasterG
12-Feb-2009, 11:22 AM
Welcome back Crappingbear. Good to see some of the old timers making the rounds again.

Thorn
12-Feb-2009, 02:22 PM
there have been a few name changes, i am the artist formerly known as scipio70.

Ahh I remember you by that name.

Harold W Brown
12-Feb-2009, 06:14 PM
Joined as soylentphil back in 1997. Lots of good chats with PJoseph and others in the filmmakers section.

Cartma7546
12-Feb-2009, 08:32 PM
God i've been hangin around this place on and off since like 03 or so. I remember logging on here when dial up was acceptable, and as for the flame wars i prolly took apart of that being a stupid kid at the time but i must have missed out on it being as bad as you guys described it.

clanglee
12-Feb-2009, 09:02 PM
I used to lurk about a bit well in the past, but I really just started posting about 2 years ago I guess. So I am really still sort of a newbie compared to most of these guys.

Cody
12-Feb-2009, 10:15 PM
[QUOTE=hellsing;177606]this is eerie, mention someone and they appear.QUOTE]

Yes CB I remeber you, mostly for you avatar haha

MoonSylver
12-Feb-2009, 10:17 PM
[QUOTE=hellsing;177606]this is eerie, mention someone and they appear.QUOTE]

Yes CB I remeber you, mostly for you avatar haha

Says the man with one of the most memorable avatars on here....:lol::lol::lol:

Thorn
13-Feb-2009, 01:22 PM
yeah the BJ avatar is legendary. I have found myself watching it over and over again transfixed... I really can not explain why.

Crappingbear
13-Feb-2009, 02:16 PM
Ok, looks like I have my Crappingbear account fixed so will be using that one instead of Safari Mike.

Thorn
13-Feb-2009, 04:45 PM
Ok, looks like I have my Crappingbear account fixed so will be using that one instead of Safari Mike.

Rock on!