PDA

View Full Version : Optical illusion...

Neil
09-Feb-2009, 10:11 AM
Look at this face...
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_cxmptAPYR-s/R7t_curGDkI/AAAAAAAACDQ/hW8vpB-Tbo8/s400/6a00e398a502a3000300e398c48edb0002-500pi.jpg

Now, either:-
1) Turn your head around so you're looking at the picture upside down.
2) Or click here for the same picture turned 180 degrees http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_cxmptAPYR-s/R7t_c-rGDlI/AAAAAAAACDY/dpz5VKXxolM/s1600-h/6a00e398a502a3000300e398c488f80001-500pi.jpg

MinionZombie
09-Feb-2009, 11:17 AM
hehe, aye you don't notice at first ... or maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention. :p

krakenslayer
09-Feb-2009, 11:21 AM
Face recognition - we studied a lot of that in Psychology so I have to admit I did notice the upside down eyes and mouth. It's amazing, though, the things the brain does to process sensory information without us even realising it.

Neil
09-Feb-2009, 11:34 AM
Face recognition - we studied a lot of that in Psychology so I have to admit I did notice the upside down eyes and mouth. It's amazing, though, the things the brain does to process sensory information without us even realising it.

Yeh, you may notice it, but it just doesn't register as 'ugly' until you turn it around?

Maybe there's hope for ugly people? Get them to walk on their hands?

krakenslayer
09-Feb-2009, 01:17 PM
Yeh, you may notice it, but it just doesn't register as 'ugly' until you turn it around?

Maybe there's hope for ugly people? Get them to walk on their hands?

It's not "ugliness", it's an inversion of visual cues that gives us information on someone's emotional state - in this case, the eyes and mouth. So, upside down, we see them in their natural orientations and the kids looks friendly, and when flipped the "right" way up we see the features inverted into an unnatural grimace.

bassman
09-Feb-2009, 01:51 PM
I noticed the mouth was turned, but not the eyes.

Neil
09-Feb-2009, 02:41 PM
It's not "ugliness", it's an inversion of visual cues that gives us information on someone's emotional state - in this case, the eyes and mouth. So, upside down, we see them in their natural orientations and the kids looks friendly, and when flipped the "right" way up we see the features inverted into an unnatural grimace.

The term was meant comically...

Anyway, it is amazing that the face, although looking a little odd at most upside down, when turned the right way up looks utterly horrible!!

krakenslayer
09-Feb-2009, 02:43 PM
The term was meant comically...

Yeah, I know, sorry. I just realised that my post had an air of smartarseish arseholishness about it that was not intended. :D

archivesofthede
09-Feb-2009, 02:46 PM
I'm kinda creeped out about this whole experiment. :p

Chic Freak
09-Feb-2009, 06:12 PM
I noticed the mouth was turned, but not the eyes.

Me too.

Neil
09-Feb-2009, 07:28 PM
Me too.

Sure most people might notice something odd... But the face gives no indication of how hidious it looks when the right way up...

MinionZombie
09-Feb-2009, 08:15 PM
Sure most people might notice something odd... But the face gives no indication of how hidious it looks when the right way up...
Indeed.

I wasn't paying much attention when I looked at it, but I guess it didn't register is entirely correct either.

It's amazing how that way round it's not hideous, yet the other way around it's stunning how wrong it looks.

blind2d
10-Feb-2009, 01:43 AM
Reminds me of the mirror in the morning... that demon kid's never going away, is he? - 2D