PDA

View Full Version : Why is everyone afraid of the dead?

Safari Mike
11-Feb-2009, 10:26 AM
Sorry if this causes anyone apoplexia but why are the dead so scary to so many? And yes Im a Romero fan, not a hater.

1) They are slow so no threat. Trip them and drop a rock on their skull.
2) Even in great numbers you can walk around them at a Richard Simmons trot.
3) They are afraid of fire, thats the easiest weapon in the world to yield.
4) They are stupid and you can herd them into a killing zone forever and just pop them in the head with a rock to thin the herd.
5) They are instincutally retarded and seem to hunt on sight so stay low and you are fine.
6) They congregate to areas important during their lives so avoid common areas and head for the hills instead of malls.
7) They have no higher motor skills so if you can climb a tree, they can't catch you.

Lets face it, your biggest risk is falling asleep and they stumble up on you. With even the most generic of vertical encampments and a couple guys with pikes you could withstand an army of zombie attackers. Factor in a couple guys with .22 rifles who can shoot the white off a kitchen match top and you are invincible. So....why the fear?

bassman
11-Feb-2009, 01:22 PM
Well some people don't see the zombies as the "bad guy". So you would be right with them. I'm one of those people.

The dead rising is a fairly simple thing to keep under control. The real problem and fear is that we couldn't work together to get it done. Thats the theme of Romero's films...

sandrock74
11-Feb-2009, 01:48 PM
Sorry if this causes anyone apoplexia but why are the dead so scary to so many? And yes Im a Romero fan, not a hater.

4) They are stupid and you can herd them into a killing zone forever and just pop them in the head with a rock to thin the herd.
5) They are instincutally retarded and seem to hunt on sight so stay low and you are fine.
6) They congregate to areas important during their lives so avoid common areas and head for the hills instead of malls.
7) They have no higher motor skills so if you can climb a tree, they can't catch you.

Lets face it, your biggest risk is falling asleep and they stumble up on you. With even the most generic of vertical encampments and a couple guys with pikes you could withstand an army of zombie attackers. Factor in a couple guys with .22 rifles who can shoot the white off a kitchen match top and you are invincible. So....why the fear?

I'll play counterpoint:
1. One at a time, sure. How do you do that with a mob?
2. Good point, so long as you have room to manuver.
3. I wouldn't call fire "the easiest weapon in the world" to use. Without a lighter or matches, its not as easy to come by. Also, all sorts of chaos can ensue from people being careless with fire.
4. Day and Land would argue that point. Besides, how do you kill a horde of zombies by hitting them in the head with a rock? Get them to line up and wait their turn?
5. They also hunt by sound.
6. Good point!
7. Granted, they can't climb the tree after you, however they won't go away either. They can outlast you.

MoonSylver
11-Feb-2009, 01:56 PM
Well some people don't see the zombies as the "bad guy". So you would be right with them. I'm one of those people.

The dead rising is a fairly simple thing to keep under control. The real problem and fear is that we couldn't work together to get it done. Thats the theme of Romero's films...

That's a good point. I awould also say it's not so much the zombies THEMSELVES that people fear, but the IDEA of them, what they REPRESENT.

They're a remorseless enemy. One (to borrow from another film) that you cannot bargain with or reason with. He does not stop. He does not rest. He will not give up EVER. And if he catches you, he's not going to just kill you, but rip you apart & devour you ALIVE. Anybody around you could suddenly become one (if he dies in his sleep or w/ no one around for example). All it takes is one careless moment & one bite & YOU'RE gonna become one. And his numbers are growing all the time. Every one of us that dies becomes one of them. A zombie or 2 by themselves might not freak some people. But 10? 20? 100? Legion? That gets to be a scary concept.

Plus, he used to be one of us. A lot of people would be unnerved at having to shoot Aunt Petunia or Old Man Jenkens from next door. Just the fact that's a DEAD guy out there staggering around would freak a lot of people out. He's also a reminder of our own mortality. The end of the road. A lot of people are uncomfortable with death as it is, much less having it take on this new, horrifying dimension. Which leads me to another point. At the same time, he represents an overturning in the natural order. Dead ain't dead anymore.

Plus, there's the whole metaphysical angle. What if this is God's wrath? If we are being punished by the creator? That's a pretty scary implication in & of itself, on many levels. Not only does this speak of the creator himself, but THIS is the judgment he chose?!?!

All of this is based on emotion & gut instinct, not reason. You're a pretty practical guy CB, one who could detach himself from all of the emotional & philosophical implications of the situation & deal with the situation ITSELF. There are probably a lot of people who couldn't.

Rancid Carcass
11-Feb-2009, 02:51 PM
I think the main threat zombies pose is their sheer weight of numbers – fear you can learn to deal with, overwhelming odds is something else entirely, and I don't think the dead rising would be quite as easy to contain as people think. Just to add some numbers to one of MoonSylvers points...
I believe the official figures of the global death rate of people dying from natural causes is somewhere in the region of 145.000 per day, so that's potentially a hundred forty five thousand new zombies rising every single day. If each of those bites at least one person and if each person that got bit bites at least one person then is not hard to imagine you could be looking at a conservative ball park figure of easily a million plus zombies reviving on a daily basis. I don't think any government anywhere in the world has the kind of resources needed to contain a problem on such a massive scale – and that's before we factor in all the people that die from accidents, suicides and murders. And if all that wasn't enough you should also consider that it's the bodies of the recently deceased that are returning to life, then that's pretty much everyone who died in the 4 or 5 months (not sure how long it takes for the brain to decay, so that 's a vague estimate on my part), prior the crisis starting, that's going to give the zombies a standing army of truly epic proportions. No wonder that Dr. Rausch wanted to nuke the cities – he'd obviously worked out that a couple of guys with .22 rifles wasn't nearly enough to deal the situation! :eek:

Mr.G
11-Feb-2009, 04:00 PM
I'll play counterpoint:

7. Granted, they can't climb the tree after you, however they won't go away either. They can outlast you.

To me this is the key. They don't get tired, they don't need sleep, they don't need food...

DubiousComforts
11-Feb-2009, 04:32 PM
With even the most generic of vertical encampments and a couple guys with pikes you could withstand an army of zombie attackers. Factor in a couple guys with .22 rifles who can shoot the white off a kitchen match top and you are invincible. So....why the fear?
Fear is irrational. This is the point behind Romero's dead being depicted as weak, slow-moving and pathetic. It serves to magnify the irrational fears, behavior and prejudices of the living.

For example, I would agree with you that fire is the most logical and effective weapon to wield against the living dead, yet there have been many discussions where the overwhelming consensus is to cling to guns, the bigger the better. Do you believe that it's a viewpoint based on logic or irrational fear?

Thorn
11-Feb-2009, 04:42 PM
Fear is irrational. This is the point behind Romero's dead being depicted as weak, slow-moving and pathetic. It serves to magnify the irrational fears, behavior and prejudices of the living.

For example, I would agree with you that fire is the most logical and effective weapon to wield against the living dead, yet there have been many discussions where the overwhelming consensus is to cling to guns, the bigger the better. Do you believe that it's a viewpoint based on logic or irrational fear?

I really agree with this, to some degree I think you want to go with the weapons you yourself find "cooler". Ultimately you can not go wrong with fire in most cases (obviously not on the porch of your own safe house if it is made of wood or in really dry conditions in a forest setting)

I think a good mix of guns, melee weapons, and fire would all be great. I am personally fond of melee weapons as many of you know, but I do not think there is one right answer. I think it would come down to a mixture.

Fire being a first line of defense seems to make the most sense, it even works as a deterrent.

Now as for why people are afraid of them.

I have theories.

1) We all for the most part are afraid of death, and here it is up and walking around. You are forced to face your own mortality.
2) You as a person like to think you are special, that you matter. That you are important. To die in a gruesome way and to become simply "lunch" robs you of that illusion.
3) They are visually unpleasant to look at, most men have an aversion to looking at gore, rot, and decay. When it is banging on your front door it becomes a little too real.
4) They have no compassion. No remorse. At all. They would eat a child in front o a mother, they would eat you alive. You can not bargain with them, negotiate, you simply either live or die.

As has been said fear sinks in and affects us all differently.

Ever hear of someone working "high steel" getting a death grip on a beam? The could have worked skyscrapers for YEARS and never been afraid. All the sudden something triggers in their mind and they clamp onto a beam with irrational feat and people have to break their fingers to get them down.

MaximusIncredulous
11-Feb-2009, 04:49 PM
There's no quick death at the hands of these things and that's when they just want to eat someone. By Day they were practically playing with their food. Seems reason enough to justify the fear.

DubiousComforts
11-Feb-2009, 04:51 PM
I think a good mix of guns, melee weapons, and fire would all be great. I am personally fond of melee weapons as many of you know, but I do not think there is one right answer. I think it would come down to a mixture.
I agree with this point, as well. Logically, you would make the most of the resources available to you, and it would be irrational not to use a gun if it was available.

fartpants
11-Feb-2009, 08:56 PM
Because they want to eat us and that seems more than enough reason

DEAD BEAT
11-Feb-2009, 10:09 PM

a Romero fan? yeah right!

only in a perfect world would those be the anwsers to survive your balls being ripped off!:eek:

btw: try tripping a zombie when there are so many you can't even move your elbows!:D

MagicMoonMonkey
11-Feb-2009, 10:32 PM
It is hard to imagine anything but a freak out frenzy in the beginning, then a WWZ Response, in the event of the Romeroesque dead rising.

Oh, and what Fartpants said too...

Wow... Now if Young Paul Annette (Proddy+Hun+3IAR) comes back, my post count will rocket to the giddy 100 mark by next summer!

Tis great to have you back CB. Do you remember the clown that was on the old forums demanding the US Government spend real money monitoring space radiation from satellites to ensure the world did not suffer the same fate as the one in NotLD? All those years ago, and the lad still makes me laugh when his rant pops in to my head...

hadrian0117
11-Feb-2009, 10:44 PM
I ...And if all that wasn't enough you should also consider that it's the bodies of the recently deceased that are returning to life, then that's pretty much everyone who died in the 4 or 5 months...

I was thinking more like 4 or 5 days. Except for the odd murder victim or elderly recluse most bodies would already be buried or burned within less than a week. Night 90 did a zombie escape his casket as it was being buried; if a body could go a few days without reanimating then stuff like that would happen alot.

SRP76
12-Feb-2009, 02:06 AM
I'm not afraid of the dead, when they're just lying there. It's them getting up that worries me.

Wyldwraith
12-Feb-2009, 03:13 AM
Hmm,
I gave this question a lot of thought. What I came up with was that the zombies THEMSELVES aren't the frightening part, it's what they represent. Previous posters have pretty much covered the reasons, so I'll just say that there's a certain instinctive terror attached to the concept of being preyed upon for food. Especially by something that used to be part of your own species.

All of the arguments for why zombies are ineffectual adversaries break down if you happen to find yourself on a battlefield that favors their strengths and not your own. If you're on the Great Plains with a 4-wheeler, plenty of gas, food and water then zombies aren't very scary. If you're in downtown NYC, with 18 million zombies lurching through every street and alleyway between you and even the hope of freedom, then they're more frightening than the Wrath of God.

One objection about the numbers argument about how many zombies would be rising per day. The 145,000 by natural causes is fine, but the math breaks down with the whole "If each zombie bites just one person" clause.

If a zombie has its way its going to eat enough of its victim that there won't be enough left to make a very viable zombie. Ironically, its only when you already have LOTS of zombies that they seem to stop spending bunches of time chewing on any one victim.

What this basically boils down to is that a large % of zombie victims won't be reanimating in a dangerous form, because the zombie(s) who infected them chewed through the connective tissues of their arms and legs while chewing the meat off of them. The % you have to worry about are the "too-close calls". Ie: The people who ALMOST got away clean, with just a nip or gash in an extremity before making good their escape. Those will be what make up your new zombies.

As prey grows more scarce you're going to have legions of zombies for every live human they catch. By the time there's anything approaching a number of zombies you could call a mob or a horde of any size, anyone they catch will simply be torn to pieces.

I'm not so sure I agree with the argument that it's a foregone conclusion that superior numbers will automatically give the victory to the undead. I mean we are talking about creatures that are dumb enough that you could dig a large pit and have a person stand on the far side of the pit and just watch zombies tumble into the pit until it reached capacity.

Anything that's simply response-driven could be beaten. What scares us is that deep down we all suspect that our fellow man would rather push us into the outstretched arms of the looming undead than work with us to try and defeat them.

WE scare us. The zombies just provide the catalyst for stripping away our illusions.

Thorn
13-Feb-2009, 01:49 PM
Excellent post Wyld. I found the line "WE scare us. The zombies just provide the catalyst for stripping away our illusions." very poignant.

Wyldwraith
13-Feb-2009, 04:44 PM
Thanks Thorn :)

I probably spend more time thinking about these fictional eventualities than is healthy, but it's interesting to me. Human behavior when facing the unimaginable is such an interesting topic to ponder over IMO.

Your posts rocks btw. Half the time I'll be reading one, and it's like you read my mind heh.

AnxietyDilemma
14-Feb-2009, 09:05 PM
How about the fact that in a world where the dead come back to life, there aren't enough bullets because in addition to the walking dead and their victims, people die every day.

sammylou
15-Feb-2009, 05:32 PM
Sure, the dead are easy to deal with when there's just one or two of 'em, but when you've got 10, 20, or 100 of those things coming, it's not so easy. Add to that the fact that there would be probably tens of millions of those things in the world, and it's a pretty scary thought.

Or maybe you're just gutsier than the rest of us :)

LoneCrusader
15-Feb-2009, 08:42 PM
'cause they eatchoo

Trencher
15-Feb-2009, 08:50 PM
Lots of great points and posts here.
I just want to add that people have a natural aversion to corpses because corpses harbours diseases by the bucket load.
Finally the worst thing about zombies in contrast to vampires, werewolves, ghouls (running zombies) or insane people is that with zombies all it takes is ONE SINGLE MISTAKE and its all over. They bite you you die, you can plow through hundres but if one bites you, you will sicken and die slowly and in great pain.

blind2d
16-Feb-2009, 02:27 AM
xcellent point. Also the whole "they're your former friends/family/loved ones" thing is a bit creepy...

archivesofthede
16-Feb-2009, 02:45 PM
What scares us is that deep down we all suspect that our fellow man would rather push us into the outstretched arms of the looming undead than work with us to try and defeat them.

WE scare us. The zombies just provide the catalyst for stripping away our illusions.

Fantastic statement. The social conditions are it.

This is what we have become as a society.

It's how most people are rasied in this system designed to encourage Dog eat Dog competition.

Me, Me, Me!

Yes! You've got it.

Debbieangel
16-Feb-2009, 08:49 PM
and to add to the undead I think of the disease that would spread fast from all the decay and insects flying and crawling around the zombies. If you think of it, who are our first line of defense? Doctors, Paramedics, EMTs, etc...they would be the first bitten so, where would the help come from when all the disease would happen? I don't know about you all but, hospitals,clinics would be the places I would definitely avoid at all costs.
At first the doctors and first responders wouldn't have a clue what was going on until it was too late so there would be less medical help out there to go to for help with the disease from the zombies.
Can you imagine the diseases?
All the disease not heard of in years since modern medicine like typhoid, chlorea, etc...well in most civilized societies you dont hear a lot about these diseases.
Also just getting close like one on one near the zombie with the open wounds that they had sustained before and after death,the infection alone would be a worry if you had an open cut of any kind.

SRP76
16-Feb-2009, 10:37 PM
Forget the living and all the "humanity" issues. Even all by yourself, if you don't get scared when a billion hungry corpses are trying to gnaw your guts out every second of the day, there's something wrong with you.

rightwing401
17-Feb-2009, 03:34 AM
I'd be afraid of the fact that if I had a rifle with 43 rounds of ammunition, and 50 zombies were coming at me, even if I managed one round per zombie, the seven left would keep coming without a flinch.

And like a lot of others have pointed out, there's no way any kind of credible response could be mounted in time to stop the spread of the dead. When you think about the situation, it really isn't so hard to imagine the dead winning. Factoring how many would die due to the dead and the living, authorities and anyone else would be facing a foe whose numbers would be increasing by well over 10,000 a day in just the U.S. The military, and most certainly not the police, are not trained and equipped to a prolonged total war slug match against a foe numbering in the millions in just a week or two, numbers which grow every day, that will never, ever stop until every last one of them has been destroyed.

You want a good example of why you should be afraid? Play Dead Rising, and try getting from one end of the mall to another without getting your butt bit. I can't do it. And one little bite is all it takes to finish you.

Debbieangel
17-Feb-2009, 11:29 PM
I'd be afraid of the fact that if I had a rifle with 43 rounds of ammunition, and 50 zombies were coming at me, even if I managed one round per zombie, the seven left would keep coming without a flinch.

And like a lot of others have pointed out, there's no way any kind of credible response could be mounted in time to stop the spread of the dead. When you think about the situation, it really isn't so hard to imagine the dead winning. Factoring how many would die due to the dead and the living, authorities and anyone else would be facing a foe whose numbers would be increasing by well over 10,000 a day in just the U.S. The military, and most certainly not the police, are not trained and equipped to a prolonged total war slug match against a foe numbering in the millions in just a week or two, numbers which grow every day, that will never, ever stop until every last one of them has been destroyed.

You want a good example of why you should be afraid? Play Dead Rising, and try getting from one end of the mall to another without getting your butt bit. I can't do it. And one little bite is all it takes to finish you.

I agree with you rightwing,for me, I would gather my family in one place in our rural area and try to fend for ourselves until all of us were dead.
I would rather die at my own home than out on some strange street I dont know with people I dont know. If really its gonna be death I would choose where and how I would die in a world like that, but, I would fight to live as would my family.

Mr. Beakman
18-Feb-2009, 12:34 AM
For me there are several reasons why zombies frighten us. First it is shear numbers. One honeybee doesn't scare me, but a whole swarm of them does. The fact that zombies are slow and mindless only adds to this fear. One on one I would have no problem, but there are just so damn many of them! They are unrelenting, always after you. They don't sleep, they don't need to eat, they don't even rest. It is this constant threat that is frightening. Second it is the fear of being eaten. This is one of humankinds primal fears. Most of us have lost touch with this fear, since the threat of being eaten is almost nil. Nevertheless, it is a fear that effects our basic nature. Third, you have the fact that society has crumbled. We have become consumers and without someone producing goods we are incapable of getting what we need. Most of us cannot machine tools, render fat to make candles, or produce many of the other basics we would need. If you live in a colder climate, how are you going to heat your home? How will you eat? Farming is difficult when you are in danger of being eaten. Do you even have seeds to plant? Most of us freak out if our cable goes out. How do you expect people to live like it was the 1800s while there is the ever present threat of zombie attack?

Trencher
18-Feb-2009, 02:31 AM
I belive that given the chance the vast majority of people would adapt to living without modern luxuries.

Crappingbear
18-Feb-2009, 05:39 AM
One other thing to consider is that fear of the dead would also be driven by proximity to them, i.e. highly populated cities vs low populated rural areas. You are pretty much dead in NY City but in the desert southwest where entire areas are unpopulated you stand a good chance of survival. In a desert mountain terrain with harsh landscape such as New Mexico or Arizona, I can use the natural landscape to maintain distance and contact with what few people/zoms would drift there.

Yes, a key component is being able to get there and then knowing how to survive once you do and thats an area I'm comfortable with. To me finding food in the Sangre de Cristos and maintaining protective perimiters is more palatable than trying to hole up in a tenement in Detroit. Depending on where you are when the outbreak begins is critical. I'm an outdoorsman and ready to roll in that direction but if I'm on a business trip to Chicago when all hell breaks lose....thats gonna be hard to overcome.

sammylou
18-Feb-2009, 01:42 PM
Is totally true. If the dead rise and your stuck in a major urban center, it'd be terrifying. Not only do you have to deal with the zombies, but you've also got looters, rapists, and other human terrors to deal with.

Mr. Beakman
18-Feb-2009, 09:19 PM
One other thing to consider is that fear of the dead would also be driven by proximity to them, i.e. highly populated cities vs low populated rural areas. You are pretty much dead in NY City but in the desert southwest where entire areas are unpopulated you stand a good chance of survival. In a desert mountain terrain with harsh landscape such as New Mexico or Arizona, I can use the natural landscape to maintain distance and contact with what few people/zoms would drift there.

That's an excellent point Crappingbear. Although all of the things needed to do for survival become that much more difficult when you are being hunted. Every trip to get food, wood, etc. puts you in harms way. Would the rustling of leaves you hear be possible game or would it be something looking for you. Survival probability doesn't remove fear. Open heart surgery has a high survival rate(97% according to some studies), yet I'm sure most people who have had it done would tell you they were scared leading up to the surgery. I'm not trying to say people couldn't or wouldn't make it through an outbreak. I'm just trying to state that every aspect of your daily routine would require you to be on a high state of alert which corresponds with fear.

Debbieangel
18-Feb-2009, 11:01 PM
Mr. Beakman and that is exactly why I wouldnt want to head out on the road. I would take my chances in and about where I live.
1. I know the area so, I know where I can get what is needed be it food, ammo, guns, etc.
2. I know the people where I live so it would be easier to get people together in a group to survive. Well, a lot easier possibly than trying to second guess what strangers are liable to do.
3. Stockpiling stuff would be easier at the beginning cause of the knowledge of the places I can get stuff faster.
All in all I would stay in my own neck of the woods. It's rural enough to be safe for awhile. That is if it would Romero type zombs.
4.Yeah, I know enough people with guns to help when needed.

Crappingbear
19-Feb-2009, 08:25 AM
Mr. Beakman and that is exactly why I wouldnt want to head out on the road. I would take my chances in and about where I live.
1. I know the area so, I know where I can get what is needed be it food, ammo, guns, etc.
2. I know the people where I live so it would be easier to get people together in a group to survive. Well, a lot easier possibly than trying to second guess what strangers are liable to do.
3. Stockpiling stuff would be easier at the beginning cause of the knowledge of the places I can get stuff faster.
All in all I would stay in my own neck of the woods. It's rural enough to be safe for awhile. That is if it would Romero type zombs.
4.Yeah, I know enough people with guns to help when needed.

Maam, I bow to your perseverance and fortitude. Since you are some sort of mod, and Im a long lost member, I will just share my thoughts....

If you are waiting on friends, family or general badasses with guns to save you, you are gone. YOU need to be the one in power with weapons.

As for where you are comfortable, thats fine. There are survival tips for living in tenements and filtering sh*t water out of pipes. Myself, prefer to be on the open plains and mountain tops. Now, I have to admit right here that I am one of perhaps 3 or 4 people on this site who can actually pull it off as Neil would perhaps attest.

I will always head to desert moutains or the Rockies with NO provisions vs having a stockpile in NY City. Its just how I roll. Anyone who understands the most important tool of all is a knife, knows me.

Debbieangel
19-Feb-2009, 04:09 PM
Maam, I bow to your perseverance and fortitude. Since you are some sort of mod, and Im a long lost member, I will just share my thoughts....

If you are waiting on friends, family or general badasses with guns to save you, you are gone. YOU need to be the one in power with weapons.

As for where you are comfortable, thats fine. There are survival tips for living in tenements and filtering sh*t water out of pipes. Myself, prefer to be on the open plains and mountain tops. Now, I have to admit right here that I am one of perhaps 3 or 4 people on this site who can actually pull it off as Neil would perhaps attest.

I will always head to desert moutains or the Rockies with NO provisions vs having a stockpile in NY City. Its just how I roll. Anyone who understands the most important tool of all is a knife, knows me.

Ok, I guess I didn't make myself clear enough, I wouldn't exactly count on others to save me, we all know where that got those in Night now don't we?
As soon as I would get any wind of the dead rising I would maxing out my credit cards and bank account to fortify my home. I would warn family and friends and get them together so we would have a good stronghold. If not then my immediate family would hole up in our home either til it was under countrol or til our end or whatever we would have to do.
Truth be told me hitting the road I would be zombie meat, I am a human shambler. Medical probs would slow me down and anyone with me well they would either have to shoot me or deal. I sort of would be like Roger in a wheelbarrel only on my feet. So, you can see my point on staying in my own home, it would be for the best.

Wyldwraith
20-Feb-2009, 08:01 PM
Something that always comforts me,
My family are big believers in the right to bear arms. 3 12-gauges, 2 20-gauges, 2 .306s, a 30/30, .45 S&W pistol, as well as a variety of melee weapons.

Not that I believe this would increase my chances of OVERALL survival. I just find comfort in the notion of it not being possible to wake up to cannibal corpses banging on my windows while I'm unarmed and helpless to do jack about it.

Yes, the chances of any such thing happening are trillions to one.

So tell me late at night it hasn't EVER given you a shiver. The idea that the first couple of senior citizen zombies could be staggering across your lawn at 3:37am?

Sorry, just a small non sequitor train of thought. As you were :)

mista_mo
21-Feb-2009, 12:33 PM
The only weapon required is faith.

Crappingbear
22-Feb-2009, 10:04 AM
The only weapon required is faith.

Well, okey doke. I've got alot of faith in myself and my religion but I also have alot of faith in my ability to cause a hell of alot of damage for the right cause. Is that what you meant or should I just lay down and give myself up to death while praying nice thoughts? I do prescribe to the scripture of Ephesians and putting on the armor of God but I also believe in whipping ass with impunity and much destruction.

shootemindehead
22-Feb-2009, 04:21 PM
Why is everyone afraid of the dead?

Take a look at how Rickles dies in "Day of the Dead"...that's why. :eek:

sandrock74
22-Feb-2009, 04:24 PM

Word.

Yojimbo
22-Feb-2009, 08:55 PM
I was thinking more like 4 or 5 days. Except for the odd murder victim or elderly recluse most bodies would already be buried or burned within less than a week. Night 90 did a zombie escape his casket as it was being buried; if a body could go a few days without reanimating then stuff like that would happen alot.

I don't know about Pennsylvannia, but the average time it takes to get a permit to allow for a cremation or a burial here in Southern California is 3 to 5 business days. This does not take into account furloughs or unforseen problems (such as problems with the death certificate or physicians not being immediately available to provide causes of death) At my mortuary, it is not uncommon in the least for a set of human remains to stay with us for several weeks before final disposition. And one of our local crematories has on any given day upwards of 75 sets of human remains waiting for thier turn at the burner. Granted, they are in a refrigeration unit, but in a non-priority cremation case they may be waiting for their turn at the burner for over two weeks. Taken together, this would mean that it is likely that a set of remains may still be viable for revival up to 1 month after passing.

lullubelle
22-Feb-2009, 11:58 PM
I'll play counterpoint:
1. One at a time, sure. How do you do that with a mob?
2. Good point, so long as you have room to manuver.
3. I wouldn't call fire "the easiest weapon in the world" to use. Without a lighter or matches, its not as easy to come by. Also, all sorts of chaos can ensue from people being careless with fire.
4. Day and Land would argue that point. Besides, how do you kill a horde of zombies by hitting them in the head with a rock? Get them to line up and wait their turn?
5. They also hunt by sound.
6. Good point!

Well put, I mean it may sound easy but like in some of your answers, what if?.no lighters, no room, I mean it might seem like an easy situation you could deal with, but it all depends on the situation it self, you might need to run but have no room..... get my point

Crappingbear
24-Feb-2009, 06:30 PM

Which is why I'm not a fan of enclosed spaces in a zom world. And for sure not a death trap with one escape route.

shootemindehead
24-Feb-2009, 10:47 PM
I take it you wouldn't have been running down to the cellar with Harry then?

:D

Wyldwraith
02-Mar-2009, 05:55 PM
Hmm,
The kind of person that would barricade themselves in a basement with no escape route and extremely limited supplies when opposed by a completely relentless, patient and methodical adversary like GAR zombies is the kind of person who is voting for natural selection to select them for extinction.

In the same scenario as Night if I didn't have the guts to make a run for it at least I'd take to the roof instead of the basement. If nothing else there's the hope that a sweep & clear team might see and rescue me before my water ran out.

Staredge
06-Mar-2009, 02:01 AM
I'm not afraid of the dead, when they're just lying there. It's them getting up that worries me.

This.