PDA

View Full Version : New Friday the 13th

Philly_SWAT
13-Feb-2009, 07:58 AM
Well, I just got back from seeing it at a midnight movie. All I can say is that I was EXTREMELY disappointed with it.

clanglee
13-Feb-2009, 08:05 AM
That bad? That's sucks. . I had hopes for it. The Texas Chainsaw remake was quite good. What was so bad about it?

capncnut
13-Feb-2009, 09:28 AM
I didn't have to see the movie theatrically to know that it's a gigantic pile of dogs cock...

The Texas Chainsaw remake was quite good. What was so bad about it?
I quite enjoyed TCM remake, was kinda fun.

MinionZombie
13-Feb-2009, 09:58 AM
Aye, I enjoyed the TCM remake ... not that it's a patch on the original of course, but it worked out quite nicely ... even if it had none of the allure or mystery or whatever of the original movie.

I saw a couple of clips for F13-2009 on BloodyDisgusting, and it just looks like TCM2003 all over again - all that "you ain't from round 'ere, folks round 'ere wanna be left alone, if they're gone missin' they're dead ya here?" country bumpkin bullshit that they've already done ... and they'd already done it in TCM where it made a bit more sense.

From what I've seen in clips and images and info, F13-2009 just seems like it desperately wants to be TCM2003 - and it's directed by the same guy and produced by the same company, so...

I'll see it eventually probably, and I'll no doubt come back bitchin' about it.

axlish
13-Feb-2009, 11:19 AM
I'm seeing it tonight. Jason is back at camp again, if they fuck that up then to hell with em!

Mr.G
13-Feb-2009, 12:38 PM
Any additional details? I heard it's the first 3 F13 movies all in one. Also, the new DVD "his name is jason" has a $10 coupon to see the new movie.

slickwilly13
13-Feb-2009, 12:53 PM
I will be taking it for what it is. A slasher movie. And I am watching it tonight.

MoonSylver
13-Feb-2009, 12:53 PM
From what I've seen in clips and images and info, F13-2009 just seems like it desperately wants to be TCM2003 - and it's directed by the same guy and produced by the same company, so...

Really? When I saw the promos I thought it looked like...a Friday the 13th movie. That is, if one from the 80's was made today...if that makes any sense...

Just out of curiosity Philly, how big a fan of the original series are you, or slasher movies in general. How does it compare to the originals? Details, man!:)

(Just went & checked a F13 site I lurk on. 3 people have seen it/voted on the poll so far. All 3 voted it an 8 on a scale of 1-10. Most of the comments are pretty positive....)

Mr.G
13-Feb-2009, 01:38 PM
Ki ki ki, ma ma ma! Ki ki ki, ma ma ma!

DawnGirl27
13-Feb-2009, 04:30 PM
Still ticks me off that remakes keep being made of movies with no new, fresh storylines coming out. The human mind is this computer capable of amazing things and writers can't come up with anything original??? :|

With that said, I most likely will be seeing it, as my best friend Mike and I are horror movie buffs whose spouse aren't, and we've been going to movies together since college. I only hope no one ruins the ending for me before I get to see it.... :p

MoonSylver
13-Feb-2009, 05:14 PM
I only hope no one ruins the ending for me before I get to see it.... :p

"Mother" was actually Norman all along ;)

DawnGirl27
13-Feb-2009, 05:16 PM
:lol: Very nice!

MinionZombie
13-Feb-2009, 05:43 PM
I'll seek to avoid paying to see this movie, I'll see it out of curiosity (like I did with several other high profile remakes) - but the quality has been very mixed over the years, but with basically none of them at all whatsoever surpassing the original.

What they SHOULD be doing is digging out new talent with new ideas, as well as - if they simply must remake movies until their spunk-sacks and drained dry - taking old shitty movies like Drive-In Massacre, and making something way better based upon it.

Drive-In Massacre is absolute cack, yet the idea of that grindhouse fleapit open air cinema with a killer on the loose is the perfect vibe for a throw-back 70's-set horror slash-em-up like TCM2003, or what have you.

In fact, I'd gladly write a remake of Drive-In Massacre if some Hollywood type would stump up the cash - seriously - I think it could be remade well.

One of the main reasons - piss poor original film, so you've got bugger all to live up to - but also because the basic idea could work quite well if done right, especially with such a setting being a throw back to a past era that's gone by the way side, rather than at the time it was made it was fairly contemporary.

Philly_SWAT
13-Feb-2009, 05:55 PM
That bad? That's sucks. . I had hopes for it. The Texas Chainsaw remake was quite good. What was so bad about it?

Any additional details? I heard it's the first 3 F13 movies all in one. Also, the new DVD "his name is jason" has a $10 coupon to see the new movie.

Really? When I saw the promos I thought it looked like...a Friday the 13th movie. That is, if one from the 80's was made today...if that makes any sense...

Just out of curiosity Philly, how big a fan of the original series are you, or slasher movies in general. How does it compare to the originals? Details, man!:)

(Just went & checked a F13 site I lurk on. 3 people have seen it/voted on the poll so far. All 3 voted it an 8 on a scale of 1-10. Most of the comments are pretty positive....)

To address all these comments at once, without giving away "spoilers" (if that is even possible, to spoil a pile of shit). The familar "ki ki ki, ma ma ma" is only heard TWICE in the movie ?!?!Either use it, or dont, but TWICE ?!!?

I am a big fan of the original series, and slasher films in general. I realize that none of them, Friday included, are masters of film. They are full of plot holes and rediculous actions from characters. But this film takes the cake. Due to legal entanglements between New Line and Paramount, they both had to 'agree' on this. In fact, both are presented in the beginning. I dont think I have ever seen that before, with both the New Line and Paramount logos in the beginning. To think that two studios BOTH agreed to put their names on this is funny. Considering the shit script they had to work with, I did not think that the acting was bad, it was OK. Some of the kill scenes were good as well. Quick, but good. But if you are going to hit the reset button on the series, how about make it LESS dumb than the other movies, not just as dumb if not MORE dumb? I thought from initial reports that it was going to provide some insight into the whole "how did Jason die, but then grow to full size and come back" question. Nope!! The entire series of events from the first movie are summarized in the first minute. Yes, MINUTE! Mind you, I am not suggesting it was quality material due an in-depth analysis, but there is NOTHING! Taking a page from Dawn04, lets have Jason RUN!!! Not walk so fast he can keep up, but RUN!!!! And Jason apparently off screen studied magic as a kid. He can MAGICALLY APPEAR!! Either that, or he has Star Trek type transporter capabilities there in the woods. There were SEVERAL instances where the character looks left, totally clear. Looks right for 2 seconds, turns back left, and JASON IS LITERALLY ONE FOOT AWAY FROM THEM, STANDING THERE!!!!! WTF?!?!?!

There is a 30 year jump cut. We see the first MINUTE (it says 1980 on screen), then it says PRESENT DAY. There is the obiligitory scene among the campers "hey did you hear what happened around here? Jason, mother, murders, etc". So apparently the story is well know. Yet, there are people LIVING BY THE LAKE who have not been killed, UNTIL NOW??!! Umm.....

And the ending? I wont spoil it for you, but it is as dumb an ending as they could come up with. Perhaps that was their goal.

DubiousComforts
13-Feb-2009, 05:56 PM
It's stupefying that there could even be a question as to whether or not this film would suck rotten eggs. This isn't even a remake, it's just a relaunch of the brand. I couldn't be bothered to waste the bandwidth "stealing" it.

Tricky
13-Feb-2009, 06:16 PM
Dont think il be watching this,more sacrilege!

I didnt mind "the hills have eyes" remake though,it was watchable

darth los
13-Feb-2009, 06:25 PM
Not all remakes suck sack. Imo, Halloween was a very good one that was as good as the original. But yeah, most of them are just not very good for some reason.

:cool:

3pidemiC
13-Feb-2009, 08:43 PM
Saw at midnight. I enjoyed it. I don't really hold any of the F13 to a standard that is anything more than pure entertainment. The remake entertained me, so I am satisfied.

ProfessorChaos
13-Feb-2009, 08:46 PM
thanks philly, you saved me from wasting my time seeing this. mind you, i'd have waited till it came on tv or one of my pals got the dvd, but now i know i can waste my time on something else.

although i'm sure that given that it is F13th today, lots of today's ignorant and mindless ADD-afflicted youth will buy tickets to sit in theaters and text message and talk throughout the film, and it'll end up #1 at the box office...which means sequels. oh boy.:|

MoonSylver
13-Feb-2009, 10:50 PM
thanks philly, you saved me from wasting my time seeing this.|

Meh...I'll still see it myself & make my own judgment. One man's meat is another man's poison as they say...:|

ProfessorChaos
13-Feb-2009, 10:53 PM
i wasn't really planning on seeing it anyway, but i do trust philly's judgment on this one. like someone recently said about ghey08, the trailer is enough evidence for me.

clanglee
13-Feb-2009, 10:54 PM
Meh...I'll still see it myself & make my own judgment. One man's meat is another man's poison as they say...:|

Exactly. . I still can't help but be a little excited to see it.:p

Trancelikestate
14-Feb-2009, 12:18 AM
i agree, i'm excited to see it too. like when land was about to come out hahahaha. man, i hated the texas chainsaw remake, i liked halloween, but didnt see hills have eyes. oh well. i'll comment my opinion later tonight ;)

MoonSylver
14-Feb-2009, 12:39 AM
Exactly. . I still can't help but be a little excited to see it.:p

Honestly, based on Philly's comments, it sounded about like the others, so *shrug*...all of the posts I've read at the F13 board I lurk on are saying they think it's better than #5 & beyond, so that would put it right about middle of the road in comparison to the series, so I can live with that.

clanglee
14-Feb-2009, 01:22 AM
Honestly, based on Philly's comments, it sounded about like the others, so *shrug*...all of the posts I've read at the F13 board I lurk on are saying they think it's better than #5 & beyond, so that would put it right about middle of the road in comparison to the series, so I can live with that.

:LOL: 5 and beyond huh? I'm actually a HUGE fan of part 6 personally. Part 5 however was a travesty.

Mike70
14-Feb-2009, 01:30 AM
:LOL: 5 and beyond huh? I'm actually a HUGE fan of part 6 personally. Part 5 however was a travesty.

*channels jay*

word bitch! part six like a motherf*cker!

*channeling over*

i've always dug this. first of all horschack gets played out by jason and as someone who grew up in the 70's/early 80s that was damn satisfying.

it's got the dude from return in it and he ain't half bad.

the sheriff, who is a real dick, looks exactly like the dude i took greek 301 and 302 from in college. even though he wasn't a dick, he was one of the hardest profs (fucking people that actually expect you to work for grades - what an outrage) i ever had, so there is probably a bit of transference going there.

capncnut
14-Feb-2009, 01:40 AM
:LOL: 5 and beyond huh? I'm actually a HUGE fan of part 6 personally.
F13th 6 was awesome, I thought I was the only one who liked it. In fact F13th 1, 4 and 6 are all I have time for with that particular series.

clanglee
14-Feb-2009, 01:44 AM
Yeah no. . I love part 6. . it walked the line between actual horror and spoof quite well. It came off as funny and scary without one side winning out completely.

capncnut
14-Feb-2009, 01:50 AM
Plus Alice Cooper did a great (but candy assed) track for it. :D

Trancelikestate
14-Feb-2009, 02:22 AM
hahaha! now you guys know i'm a huge fan of 6 after making my gta mod haha. clanglee if you havnt seen it, check this out.

fhkc-xmQr2M

axlish
14-Feb-2009, 02:50 AM
Just got back from seeing it. I liked it. I said it earlier in the thread, Jason in the woods is hard to fuck up, and they didn't. If you go into this flick looking for something to stimulate your mind....

slickwilly13
14-Feb-2009, 03:42 AM
It is sold out over here. I will have to watch it another day.

Trancelikestate
14-Feb-2009, 05:36 AM
i just got back too, haha. man i really liked it. my expectations were low, so if you do that you'll be happy haha. but it was done pretty well i think. if your a jason fan, def go see it in theaters.

clanglee
14-Feb-2009, 06:43 AM
hahaha! now you guys know i'm a huge fan of 6 after making my gta mod haha. clanglee if you havnt seen it, check this out.

fhkc-xmQr2M

That is fucking awesome man!!!!!!!

Trancelikestate
14-Feb-2009, 08:46 AM
hey thnx bud! check these out i just made!

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/4740/jason1ws3.gif

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/3102/jason3nq1.gif

MinionZombie
14-Feb-2009, 10:44 AM
F13th 6 was awesome, I thought I was the only one who liked it. In fact F13th 1, 4 and 6 are all I have time for with that particular series.
Part Six was awesome - it's one of my favourite of the series.

Parts 1 through 4 all rock (well, three is a bit ropey, but it's fun and the hockey mask turns up, and the final act action is all groovy).

Part 5 was entirely meh/lame ... Part 6 was awesome ... Part 7 was watered down and silly, BUT it featured the best unmasked Jason make-up EVER ... Part 8 was preposterously silly, more like "Jason Takes a Boat Going To Manhattan" ... Part 9 was sheer crap ... Jason X was silly fun, but so far removed from the true heart of the franchise.

And Freddy VS Jason was complete and utter eye rape ... nothing more, the only redeeming feature(s) was this:

http://movies.infinitecoolness.com/22/freddyvsjason14.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2245/2279096937_ac471a307d.jpg?v=0
;)

MoonSylver
14-Feb-2009, 02:31 PM
Part Six was awesome - it's one of my favourite of the series.

Parts 1 through 4 all rock (well, three is a bit ropey, but it's fun and the hockey mask turns up, and the final act action is all groovy).

Part 5 was entirely meh/lame ... Part 6 was awesome ... Part 7 was watered down and silly, BUT it featured the best unmasked Jason make-up EVER ... Part 8 was preposterously silly, more like "Jason Takes a Boat Going To Manhattan" ... Part 9 was sheer crap ... Jason X was silly fun, but so far removed from the true heart of the franchise.

And Freddy VS Jason was complete and utter eye rape ... nothing more

I'd agree w/ all of the above, except I like FvJ, pretty much in the same way I liked Jason X.

The only reason I mention this is I know a lot of F13 "purists" who prefer the earlier stuff, when he was still human. They find the earlier stuff scarier & more believable (in a F13 movie?).

They don't like the "zombie Jason" as they feel it makes him too invincible & removes any of the tension or conflict between him & the protagonists. (see the awesome chase scene at the end of pt3 for what I mean)I think they're putting this one in the context of those. More old school/return to the roots.

Me? I like 'em all (almost), for the same reasons (as I said earlier), that I like the Godzilla series. It changes & evolves over the course of the series. The early ones I appreciate on one level & the latter ones are something different all together.

Doc
14-Feb-2009, 04:22 PM
Imo the first 4 are the best of the series. They were the scariest, most suspensful, and had the best characters. They also fit together the best, and are the most enjoyable (for me at least) to watch in a marathon setting.

MoonSylver
14-Feb-2009, 05:18 PM
Imo the first 4 are the best of the series. They were the scariest, most suspensful, and had the best characters. They also fit together the best, and are the most enjoyable (for me at least) to watch in a marathon setting.

Agreed. Especially 2-4. Sit down & watch those back-to-back & you've got a nice little trilogy there, especially how one flows right into the other.

krakenslayer
14-Feb-2009, 05:43 PM
I was never a big fan of the originals (although, oddly, I did like Jason X), so I'm more or less completely disinterested in seeing this. Same goes for the new Halloween movies - the only one of those movies I liked was Halloween III, which was a totally different type of film, and completely unconnected to the other.

Slasher movies bore my tits off. They're the sort of horror movies that non-horror fans imagine when they think of horror.

Philly_SWAT
14-Feb-2009, 06:24 PM

Well, here is the thing to me. The new movie has the...."look"...of a new movie. I have said to my friend in the past that I think nowdays the art of making a film as progressed to the point where techniques such as directing style/camera angles, music/score, FX, etc are "easier to get right" then they were in the past, so it is easier to make a movie that "looks good" than it used to. But the ideas behind the writing is just as hard as ever..no way to make that easier. If you are going to make a "reboot", why bother if you are going to make the same shitty movie thats been done already. Just make it part 11, or whatever.

As far as part V goes, I liked it. The kill scenes werent all that great, and the fact that the guy who isnt even Jason can just take chainsaws to the arm, hit by bulldozers, etc, is annoying, and the tone was right. A grown up Tommy is now psychologically damaged after hacking a man to death as a kid. He has to take medication to quell his inner demons. But in part 6, he is happy go lucky, wanting to hit on chicks, etc. That was rediculous I thought.

Mutineer
14-Feb-2009, 06:37 PM
I really want too see this

I loved the TCM remake; I though it was a great horror film in this day of PG-13 bullshit horror.

This thread sounds like a crap on the remake Philly. Not digging on you, but come on, it's Ft13th ....

Not Schindler's.

... I have said to my friend in the past that I think nowdays the art of making a film as progressed to the point where techniques such as directing style/camera angles, music/score, FX, etc are "easier to get right" then they were in the past, so it is easier to make a movie that "looks good" than it used to. But the ideas behind the writing is just as hard as ever..no way to make that easier. If you are going to make a "reboot", why bother if you are going to make the same shitty movie thats been done already. Just make it part 11, or whatever.

I disagree

I think filmmaking is an art and it is constantly being done wrong by those who have no clue on to do it

Look at Sci Fi channel for the lowest common denominator in filmmaking.

It is not easy at all to make a film look good; from the lighting to the blocking and staging to the cameras langauge. It is an art form.

MinionZombie
14-Feb-2009, 09:06 PM
Human Jason was definitely better than zombie Jason, but zombie Jason still rocked ... plus he's cooler lumbering through the woods, rather than running ... what's with all the running these days? Everyone's always in such a rush to kill their victims these days...geez.

Part 4 was the fucking bomb though, that was the best F13 sequel EVER. It's just pure awesome.

MoonSylver
14-Feb-2009, 10:05 PM
Human Jason was definitely better than zombie Jason, but zombie Jason still rocked ... plus he's cooler lumbering through the woods, rather than running ... what's with all the running these days? Everyone's always in such a rush to kill their victims these days...geez.

Jason ran quite a bit in #2 & #3...heck, he chases Chris's ass all over Higgens Haven at the end of that damn movie!:lol: Don't think he HAD the opportunity to chase any one in #4. After that, it's zombie Jason who lumbers & then "just appears".

So, really, no surprise to me he's running after people in this one. Since it's more of a return to the earlier ones & all.

Minerva_Zombi
15-Feb-2009, 08:38 AM
Wow... I appreciate Halloween ALOT more now... lol.

Part 5 isnt THAT bad... IMO. lol

Doc
15-Feb-2009, 09:45 AM
Wow... I appreciate Halloween ALOT more now... lol.

Part 5 isnt THAT bad... IMO. lol

What of Friday? Yeah, I actually like that installment myself tbh, the last Friday to have the original feel before the film style changed in Jason Lives.

deadkrank
15-Feb-2009, 10:32 AM
I went to see the new Friday The 13th and I thought it was great. It was so nice to see old school Friday The 13th again-Horny teens coming into the woods to get high,and have sex and one by one they get killed off by Jason.
I will difently pick this one up when it comes out on Blu-Ray. I read there going to do an unrated version for DVD and Blu-Ray. Cant wait to see what stuff that did not make The R rated version?

clanglee
17-Feb-2009, 05:36 AM
Ok, so I saw it tonight. I liked it. It was quite decent. I had a few problems with it, but not many. My main problem with the movie had to do with the settings. When walking through the creepy old cabins and the (mineshaft?) I felt the director took on more of a TCM feel than a F13 feel. But altogether the movie delivered where it was supposed to. I liked it.

Mr.G
17-Feb-2009, 06:16 PM
It made a ton of money (45 million) and was #1 at the boxoffice last weekend. I didn't get a chance yet but will be in line this weekend.

MaximusIncredulous
17-Feb-2009, 06:38 PM

Always sounded like chi chi chi, ha ha ha to me.

clanglee
17-Feb-2009, 07:12 PM

yeah. . me too.

darth los
17-Feb-2009, 07:46 PM

That makes 3 of us. I smell a poll question !!!

But i guess you can just google it and find out for sure.

DjfunkmasterG
17-Feb-2009, 10:36 PM
43.6 million in one 4 day weekend. That is frigging insane. Although I am not a fan of remakes, I do enjoy a few, the one good thing about this is that with box office like that it keeps the horror genre around.

MoonSylver
17-Feb-2009, 10:39 PM
Ok, so I saw it tonight. I liked it. It was quite decent. I had a few problems with it, but not many. My main problem with the movie had to do with the settings. When walking through the creepy old cabins and the (mineshaft?) I felt the director took on more of a TCM feel than a F13 feel. But altogether the movie delivered where it was supposed to. I liked it.

Whew...Philly's post had me wondering.

To me as well, but it is in fact "ki ki ki, ma ma ma", which was a play on the line Mrs. Voorhees delivers (as "Jason") "kill them mommy!"

Just got back from seeing it. I liked it. I said it earlier in the thread, Jason in the woods is hard to fuck up, and they didn't. If you go into this flick looking for something to stimulate your mind....

Good...good...:)

Cartma7546
17-Feb-2009, 11:30 PM
"Say hi to your mom....in hell!"

Oh my god i was floored with that one liner. This movie was awful.

*Spoilers*

I just like how the kids dump him in the lake instead of hacking him up or just plain leaving him there. Also, where were the back up cops to go check on the poor sap that was impaled. And last, I laughed at the end when he comes up from under the pier with his mask on. lol he put in on underwater before he came up hahahahaha. :lol:

Mr.G
18-Feb-2009, 12:26 AM
That makes 3 of us. I smell a poll question !!!

But i guess you can just google it and find out for sure.

The "Ki" is short of Kill, and the "Ma" is short for Mommy.

At least according to Wikipedia! :)

Manfredini was inspired to recreate a similar sound. He came up with the sound "ki ki ki, ma ma ma" from the final reel when Mrs. Voorhees arrives and is reciting "Kill her mommy!" The "ki" comes from "kill", and the "ma" from "mommy".

MinionZombie
18-Feb-2009, 10:06 AM
I can categorically say it IS most DEFINITELY "ki" and "ma" - indeed short for "kill" and "mom/mommy" - I've heard/read that fact countless times over the years now.

Just in case anyone was still unsure. :p

Mr.G
18-Feb-2009, 01:52 PM
I can categorically say it IS most DEFINITELY "ki" and "ma" - indeed short for "kill" and "mom/mommy" - I've heard/read that fact countless times over the years now.

Yes! Point for me! :D

DjfunkmasterG
18-Feb-2009, 03:14 PM

I can double confirm because they talked about it in the recent documentary about the F13 series currently airing on the starz and encore networks.

MinionZombie
18-Feb-2009, 05:56 PM
I can double confirm because they talked about it in the recent documentary about the F13 series currently airing on the starz and encore networks.
Is that "His Name Was Jason"?

If so - what's it like? I'd nab the double disc dvd if I could find it at a good site for a good price with appropriate shipping fees/lack thereof ... or wait till R2.

I've still gotta get Halloween: 25 Years of Terror, mind you...

DjfunkmasterG
18-Feb-2009, 08:43 PM
I thought it was a pretty good doc. Worth $20? No fucking way, but I would pay $10 if I could get it for that, but since Encore and Starz are running it for free, I will take the free route.

Yes it was called His Name was Jason.

axlish
18-Feb-2009, 11:19 PM
I paid $10 for His Name Was Jason, and inside the DVD was a coupon for a free ticket to see Friday the 13th!

Trancelikestate
19-Feb-2009, 07:10 AM
i watched most of it on the net. i didnt finish it. it's ok. i cant really take tom serious ever since my school haha. he's like a broken record. :p :stunned: but if your a jason fan, do tune in :)

clanglee
19-Feb-2009, 09:27 AM

And yet it still sounds like ha ha ha ha chi chi chi chi

NEMESIS23
21-Feb-2009, 09:00 PM
I seen it on the day it came out ! I loved it..But nothing beats the Old one.

MoonSylver
01-Mar-2009, 07:18 AM
Word is going 'round now that a sequel is already in the works, despite an 80% drop off between 1st & 2nd weekend...not necessarily a surprise, but hmmm...:rockbrow:

Doc
01-Mar-2009, 10:17 AM
Word is going 'round now that a sequel is already in the works, despite an 80% drop off between 1st & 2nd weekend...not necessarily a surprise, but hmmm...:rockbrow: Well, none of the original Fridays really stayed number 1 in the box top office even back then. It's made $55 million so far.....I don't know if the studio had a target figure in mind, but they can't be too disappointed.....it's not like anyone at Platinum Dunes is going to say "Yeah, but those are 55 million angry dollars."

MinionZombie
01-Mar-2009, 10:38 AM
"Yeah, but those are 55 million angry dollars."

My £6.40 was "moderate, nothing else to watch pounds" :D

I see it got 2/5 in Total Film, kinda sums it up really, rather meh, and far too slick.

Still, all the Jason stuff was good - so if they do a follow-up, let's hope it's more TCM2003, than TCM: The Beginning, eh?

Although not having a follow-up would be no loss at all...there's too many damn remakes of great flicks.

Doc
01-Mar-2009, 04:14 PM
Unlike the sophomore efforts of other franchises, the new “Friday” is expected to be not a sequel so much as a follow-up, those familiar with the project say. Jason Voorhees will be the villain, of course, but the new picture is expected to use elements of the original franchise more as a jumping-off point than as a template.

Wait! What does that even mean?!!:confused:

I see it got 2/5 in Total Film, kinda sums it up really, rather meh, and far too slick.

Still, all the Jason stuff was good - so if they do a follow-up, let's hope it's more TCM2003, than TCM: The Beginning, eh?

Although not having a follow-up would be no loss at all...there's too many damn remakes of great flicks.

Hopefully, the follow doesn't rely to much on sex like the first one we got so far. Seriously why are more horror films now in days like:

[------BREASTS------] [-- -----------SEX-----------] [----DRUGS----] [--GORE--]

Why not?:

[SUSPENSE] [LIKABLE CHARACTERS] [BREASTS] [SEX] [ DRUGS] [GORE] [GREAT PACING] [GREAT STORY] [GREAT ACTING]

Although the last one is pushing it though. Even, the original Fridays had some pretty terrible preformances.

bassman
31-Jul-2009, 01:50 PM
I had the extreme misfortune of seeing this travesty recently....

For reference....I was never a huge fan of the originals. I've seen them all and I can understand why people enjoy them. This remake sticks pretty close to what I imagine the fans would want out of a no-brainer like this, but that's the bad part.

If you've seen ANY horror/slasher film in the last 30 years, you might as well not bother with this POS remake. Lame characters, very very VERY predictable deaths(I called just about all of them before they happened) and basically no plot. This has been done, and done, and done again.

And is it just me or did they cram the stories from the first THREE original films into this remake and still fall short of a good plot? Holy hell...

Why is this movie called Friday the 13th, again? Unless I'm mistaken....it is NEVER mentioned within the film. Good job, guys.:rolleyes:

Like I said....I never was a real fan of the originals and find these sort of movies to usually be kind of dumb, but they are fun on some kind of small level. They are pretty much like shoot em up action movies. They can entertain you once but that's about it. Too bad in the case of the F13 remake I wasn't entertained the first time around. Total crap. Avoid at all costs.

And the worst part is....this flick made huge bank in theaters. You know they'll be turning out one every year for the kiddies that like the Saw franchise. Time to grow up you little fucks. This is not good filmmaking.:rant:

darth los
31-Jul-2009, 02:55 PM
I had the extreme misfortune of seeing this travesty recently....

For reference....I was never a huge fan of the originals. I've seen them all and I can understand why people enjoy them. This remake sticks pretty close to what I imagine the fans would want out of a no-brainer like this, but that's the bad part.

If you've seen ANY horror/slasher film in the last 30 years, you might as well not bother with this POS remake. Lame characters, very very VERY predictable deaths(I called just about all of them before they happened) and basically no plot. This has been done, and done, and done again.

And is it just me or did they cram the stories from the first THREE original films into this remake and still fall short of a good plot? Holy hell...

Why is this movie called Friday the 13th, again? Unless I'm mistaken....it is NEVER mentioned within the film. Good job, guys.:rolleyes:

Like I said....I never was a real fan of the originals and find these sort of movies to usually be kind of dumb, but they are fun on some kind of small level. They are pretty much like shoot em up action movies. They can entertain you once but that's about it. Too bad in the case of the F13 remake I wasn't entertained the first time around. Total crap. Avoid at all costs.

And the worst part is....this flick made huge bank in theaters. You know they'll be turning out one every year for the kiddies that like the Saw franchise. Time to grow up you little fucks. This is not good filmmaking.:rant:

The sad part is that they wouldn't know good filmaking if it came up to them and slapped them.

What we consider good filmaking from back in the day they would never have the patience to sit through.

slickwilly13
31-Jul-2009, 03:30 PM
I guess I am the only one who enjoyed the remake. I really don't see what the bitch is about this movie. Its a Friday the 13th movie. What did you guys expect? A 4 star horror movie? *L* It was a B-level slasher movie. I took it for what it is compared to the other films of the series.

bassman
31-Jul-2009, 04:47 PM
I took it for what it is compared to the other films of the series.

I remember the first of the original movies actually having a sense of dread and suspense while also having sex and death. This is just sex and death. Very poor deaths, btw.

Let's see....Jason's on the dock, the naked bitch is underneath the dock, now how could she possibly die? A machete through the dock floor and into her head?!?!? Oh my god I never saw that one coming!:rolleyes:

darth los
31-Jul-2009, 05:24 PM
I remember the first of the original movies actually having a sense of dread and suspense while also having sex and death. This is just sex and death. Very poor deaths, btw.

I think you just hit the nail on the head. The movies of today are capable of showing just as musch gore as ever. But , as you said, the sense of dread and suspense is a lost art.

Perhaps it's due to the much discussed adhd generation who are just not patient enough for tha type of buildup.

MinionZombie
31-Jul-2009, 07:07 PM

First four actually ... with a few elements from some of the others too.

My impression was "meh" ... all the Jason bits were very enjoyable, that chick's boobies were AWESOME, I enjoyed the black and asian guys, the "hero in search of his sister" was thoroughly decent ... but that was it.

It really felt like TCM2003 though, which was a big mistake to make - but it's unsurprising when it's the same director and same producers ... same writer? Can't remember, can't be arsed to check. :lol:

I might buy the extended version on DVD for a fiver or less perhaps.

It was an anus-load better than Freddy VS Jason though ... good lord that movie sucked "teh ballz".

MoonSylver
31-Jul-2009, 11:41 PM
I guess I am the only one who enjoyed the remake. I really don't see what the bitch is about this movie. Its a Friday the 13th movie. What did you guys expect? A 4 star horror movie? *L* It was a B-level slasher movie. I took it for what it is compared to the other films of the series.

Nope, you're not the only one at all. I liked it quite a bit, as a big fan of the franchise. I thought it was pretty much on par with most of the other films in the series, w/ a little bit of a fresh twist by way of the portrayal of Jason. Sorry Bassman, just don't agree at all.

It was an anus-load better than Freddy VS Jason though ... good lord that movie sucked "teh ballz".

Nah, FvJ was good stupid fun for what it was. Jason Goes to Hell? THAT sucks "TEH MAJOR BALLZ!!!!" ;)

MinionZombie
01-Aug-2009, 10:11 AM
Nah, FvJ was good stupid fun for what it was. Jason Goes to Hell? THAT sucks "TEH MAJOR BALLZ!!!!" ;)

Nah, FvJ really did suck copious scrotum ... but yes, Jason Goes To Hell was dreadful ... the only good thing about FvJ was this:

:D

One thing I didn't like about the F13 remake was:
Why on earth is he keeping that girl alive in his weird underground dungeon place ... and what's he doing with an elaborate underground dungeon in the first place ... especially after it seems so obvious that he smashed that machete into her noggin in the opening section - because why would Jason do that massive machete swing just to deliberately miss? It's silly - and clearly only done for the camera, not for the character, which is what the motivation should always be.

slickwilly13
01-Aug-2009, 01:26 PM
Nah, FvJ really did suck copious scrotum ... but yes, Jason Goes To Hell was dreadful ... the only good thing about FvJ was this:

:D

One thing I didn't like about the F13 remake was:
Why on earth is he keeping that girl alive in his weird underground dungeon place ... and what's he doing with an elaborate underground dungeon in the first place ... especially after it seems so obvious that he smashed that machete into her noggin in the opening section - because why would Jason do that massive machete swing just to deliberately miss? It's silly - and clearly only done for the camera, not for the character, which is what the motivation should always be.

If you remember during the beginning of the movie. She found and was wearing a pendant around her neck that belonged to Jason's mom. That is what kept her alive. Another scene, she was held captive and Jason was examining both her shackles and the pendant around her neck. It is similiar to part 2 when the lead chick was wearing the sweather and it kept sack-head Jason from attacking her.

MoonSylver
01-Aug-2009, 03:10 PM
Nah, FvJ really did suck copious scrotum ...

I'll see your nah & raise you a "NUH-UH!" :lol:

MinionZombie
01-Aug-2009, 06:00 PM
I'll see your nah & raise you a "NUH-UH!" :lol:
And I'll make a counter offer of "pfft". :D

Slick - fair enough, didn't really see/remember that bit ... still a bit naff though.

Julianna Guill's (or however her name is spelled) knockers are great though. :D

bassman
01-Aug-2009, 09:24 PM
I'm glad to say that after seeing about 15 minutes of FvJ I was smart enough to quit. Every second of that film screamed "suck". Too bad I wasn't smart enough to do the same with this F13 remake. I had to sit through all of it.....

Seriously....this mindless slasher stuff has been done to death. It can be fun and I totally understand why people can enjoy it like a mindless action flick, but c'mon!

Sometimes I wonder if kiddies these days go back and watch older films. When I first got into "the art" of making films, I spent a few years going through the "old" sections of movies in the rental store. It was probably the best movie experience time of my life. Kids these days seem to only remember as far back as Scream.:rolleyes:

Doc
01-Aug-2009, 10:23 PM
Nah, FvJ really did suck copious scrotum ... but yes, Jason Goes To Hell was dreadful ... You know its funny. JGTH is probably the best scripted, best acted, and best produced film in the series(and yes only compared to the series). Yet, its hated for being too different from the rest. As, for FvJ. Yep crap. The most annoying thing about the movie is the writers/producers thinking the audience was dumb. They explain the plotline numerous times in the film. If not by Freddy, then by the teens, if not by the teens, then by the adults, it was just such crappy dialogue.