PDA

View Full Version : Over There

Arcades057
12-May-2006, 05:00 AM
Someone posted a whiule back asking about this series. I've been getting the show on NetFlix now and it's awesome. I'm up to disk three (about 6 episodes into the season) and it's a bit of alright.

On a side note it'll almost definitely not be picked up for another season. It makes the military look good and puts things we're doing in a positive light, while making the terrorists and the media look bad. This has got to be the most positive thing about the war on terror out there in movie or series form, at least that I've seen.

AcesandEights
12-May-2006, 05:31 AM
I was ambivalent about the idea of the show at first, thinking about it possibly being exploitative of a situation still very much causing death, damage & havoc in people's lives, but I really enjoyed it.

Tricky
12-May-2006, 04:26 PM
Is it worth watching then?its been showing over here (no pun intended) but i got the impression it was going to be pretty much an extension of Fahrenheit 9/11,il definitely give it a watch if it shows the war on terror in a more positive light :)

Hawkboy
12-May-2006, 04:29 PM
if it shows the war on terror in a more positive light :)

Oh so it's a fantasy?

bassman
12-May-2006, 04:39 PM
Oh so it's a fantasy?

Not everything about it is negative.

Geophyrd
12-May-2006, 04:43 PM
Someone posted a whiule back asking about this series. I've been getting the show on NetFlix now and it's awesome. I'm up to disk three (about 6 episodes into the season) and it's a bit of alright.

On a side note it'll almost definitely not be picked up for another season. It makes the military look good and puts things we're doing in a positive light, while making the terrorists and the media look bad. This has got to be the most positive thing about the war on terror out there in movie or series form, at least that I've seen.

And I thought the show was terrific. It hit every note perfectly. Who knew that guy from ER could actually act? And Nikki Aycox is pretty easy on the eyes. I defy anyone to watch the show and not want to immediately adopt/marry her.

It is cancelled however, new courtesy of the good peeps at The Futon Critic.
http://www.thefutoncritic.com/showatch.aspx?id=over_there

VIEWING RELATED PROJECT INFORMATION
· produced by: 20th/steven bochco
· format: drama (hour)
· time slot: completed airing its current season
· season(s): 1 (13 episodes)
· visit the official web site
· imdb.com
· additional notes: N/A

Arcades057
15-May-2006, 03:53 AM
Did I call it or what? I knew a show that good couldn't survive these days.

glsjaw
15-May-2006, 09:02 PM
i got into the show when it first started but it kinda just went blaw, i think i fell asleep during the season finaly, how sad is that

FleshMask
15-May-2006, 10:23 PM
The war is both a mix of dark and light aspects...

as with everything...

Someone who boasts how the war is going horrible, is no better than someone who thinks this war is a good thing.:rockbrow:

Good work is being done by troops...
BUT
The troops are mishandled by a coast guard weenie

HOW CAN YOU HONESTLY CALL YOURSELF A WAR-TIME PRESIDENT AND SMILE ABOUT IT, WHEN YOU HAVEN'T SEEN A DAY OF COMBAT?!!!:skull:

oh sorry... angry spat.

But our troops are going through Hell...
I have faith in our soldiers.

We really should have invaded Iran instead of Iraq...

Those Iranians are straight up terrorists... they even admit it and verbally threaten us.

Oh yes the show is powerful, and overwhelming.

I was part of the Shock and Awe in the early months of the war, our ship fired tomahawks at Iraq during the invasion.

Everything just seems too complicated to take sides.

All I know is I don't like how Bush is doing things.

AcesandEights
15-May-2006, 11:07 PM
The war is both a mix of dark and light aspects...

as with everything...

Someone who boasts how the war is going horrible, is no better than someone who thinks this war is a good thing.:rockbrow:

Good work is being done by troops...

Well said, and thanks for serving--seriously!

FleshMask
16-May-2006, 05:41 PM
Differences aside...

No matter the opinion or political standing.

We have to stick together as a nation, unfornately both conservatives and liberals are being terrible bothers in the same family.

We can argue and bicker,

but at least get something done in the process...

Hawkboy
16-May-2006, 06:09 PM
Differences aside...

No matter the opinion or political standing.

We have to stick together as a nation, unfornately both conservatives and liberals are being terrible bothers in the same family.

We can argue and bicker,

but at least get something done in the process...

Get what done? Like have the U.S. invade other countries under false pretences so more people can die and they can get more oil?

Let me edit this bad boy I'm not attacking Fleshmask here but rather the the Warhawk republicans that run his country.

Danny
16-May-2006, 06:57 PM
its a little slow, i think band of brothers is much better.

AcesandEights
16-May-2006, 11:30 PM
its a little slow, i think band of brothers is much better.

Band of Brothers ROCKS! Talk about a series that puts a frikkin' lump in your throat at the end (well' it did for me anyway).

Danny
16-May-2006, 11:43 PM
same here the only WWII flick/series ive seen that compares is saving private ryan.

Arcades057
17-May-2006, 12:07 AM
Man, that scene at the end with the little kids on the bridge watching the "mighty" Wehrmacht march after surrendering is great, one of the best war scenes I've ever seen.

Hawkboy
17-May-2006, 03:50 AM
same here the only WWII flick/series ive seen that compares is saving private ryan.

One guess why they compare.... Anyone???