PDA

View Full Version : Survival 101

Crappingbear
19-Feb-2009, 08:42 AM
Damn, but alot of old names are gone who could teach this class in their sleep. I will proceed since there seems to be alot of folks who are ready to curl up and die if the Wal Mart closes.

First, this thread is aborgininal and not urban, we can go urban later.

1) Get a dog. They will be your best alarm and personal protection if they trust you.

2) Have a good knife and know how to sharpen it. Its essetial to survival.

3) Know how to create fire from primitive ways. I use a minimum of 3 cheaters since I aint playing.

4) Know water gathering and purifying tecniques.

5) know map reading and star gazinging telegraphy.

A lot to learn , but no big deal.

fartpants
19-Feb-2009, 12:40 PM
6 ) learn how to feed yourself from nature cos the canned goods aint gonna last forever

Crappingbear
21-Feb-2009, 03:49 AM
In a zom world, knowing how to safely and systematically "clear" a house/building would be life saving knowledge. Its a technique law enforcment use and you can even find some gun course tapes on doing it. When you talk of scavaging for food and gear, you are most at risk in the confined space of a house/building. Clearing the area safely is no small task. You sure don't want to get taken out while rooting in the pantry because you didn't look behind the couch for a zom.

And when scavaging, don't forget to look for a multivitamens since you won't be getting everything you need in a food deficient world. I'd also grab all the Pepto Bismol tablets I could find because a case of the drizzles could likewise kill you and eating scavenged food will surely turn some bad stuff up.

A hand pump and extra length of tubing would be handy for syphoning gas from cars and gas stations. As we learned here during the hurricanes, without power you can't pump gas but with a hand pump you could pull from the underground tanks.

Brush up on first aid as thats also essential. I'd recommend books on "Ditch medicine" which is basically field treatments and more realistic than a generic medical first aid book. Every first aid kit should include superglue and duct tape for sealing cuts. Benedryl tabs for stings/bites is also good stuff.

FoodFight
22-Feb-2009, 01:06 AM
You mean that the government won't provide for me?

Seriously though, the siphon is a great idea. A second unit for dedicated water siphoning would be a must-have as well.

Here's an interesting article on modern-day homeless survival. A lot of it could be adapted to a zom infested world as well.

http://www.donrearic.com/homeless.htm

Crappingbear
22-Feb-2009, 09:59 AM
You mean that the government won't provide for me?

Seriously though, the siphon is a great idea. A second unit for dedicated water siphoning would be a must-have as well.

Here's an interesting article on modern-day homeless survival. A lot of it could be adapted to a zom infested world as well.

http://www.donrearic.com/homeless.htm

Good to see you from the old days. Im actually having to remember old stuff for here just to stay current. :)

Fire, water, crapping, shelter, evasion, and offense are the norms in a zom society. No big deal when you have survived the nasty hurricanes on the gulf coast.

Wooley
27-Feb-2009, 03:17 PM
Can't find fault with a single idea Cb. The suggestion on law enforcement clearing tactics is especially good military urban tactics seem to all hinge on having teams and heavy weapons while police seem to operate alone or with limited backup and small arms.

I'd also suggest building a library of useful books, magazines, instructional DVDs, websites, etc, and then begin to learn those skills as best as practicable, because when the boat starts sinking, it's too late to learn to swim.

Some suggestions include The 99 Cent a Meal Cookbook and Eat Well For 99 Cents a Meal by Bill and Ruth Kaysing. The meals revolve around cheap, nutrition staples like wheat, corn, rice, beans, potatoes, as well as fresh fruit and vegetables.

Nuclear War Survival Skills, by Cresson H Kearney. You can survive a nuclear war and the man who did research into low cost, expedient gear and skills for the Federal government shows you how.

The Fifty Dollar and Up Underground House Book b Mike Oehler, along with The Hippie Survival Guide to Y2K and The Earth Sheltered Solar Greenhouse Book, also by Oehler. Man built a house in the 70s that stays reasonable warm in winter, cool in summer with no AC and a wood stove. It'd also protect you against small arms fire if it came down to that. The man's greenhouses carry vegetables like lettuce into December and he lives in Idaho. The Hippie Survival Guide, while dated, does have some useful advice, mostly, his description of a pit or trench house that he says can be built in a week with a shovel, axe, polyethelyne sheeting and logs. It looks similar to the dugouts that have sheltered people for years, if you put a plastic sheet on the roof and added a half foot of earth to it.

The Ultimate Sniper by John Plaster and The Illustrated Manual of Sniper Skills by Mark Spicer. No, you're not going to be DevilDog, but in a world where ammo is limited, medical care is primitive, and the opportunity to train and field large numbers of defense forces is probably not likely, you'll need something to keep the Khardis types from killing you for your food. Both books cover camo, marksmanship, tactics, and more that'd be useful of a ad-hoc civilian defense force. Of particular note is far ambushes, stay behinds, and initiating explosives like civilian dynamite with bullets, snipers in the defense and offense, and more.

Tracking: A Blueprint For Learning How by Jack Kearney. Former Border Patrolman who is one of the nation's top man trackers goes through how to learn to spot sign, and follow it.

Tactical Tracking Operations by David Scott Donelan. Former tracker with the Rhodesian armed forces, and deals with tracking people who aren't likely to want you to find them, or be peaceful when you do.

Websites:
http://www.ahco.army.mil/site/index.jsp
Collection of old US military manuals. Useful in low tech situations.

http://www.cd3wd.com/CD3WD_40/CD3WD/index.htm
Huge listing of appropriate tech work. What's appropriate tech? Stuff that's simple and designed to work in an area with minimal support, kinda like the world after zombies.

http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/showthread.php?t=2467
The defensive arrangements made by Rhodesian farmers during the communist backed terrorist insurgency.

http://www.archive.org/details/Rifle_Marksmanship_with_M1_Rifle_Part_1
Ammo doesn't grow on trees, so you'd better make them count. Learn how to judge wind, and adjust for it, steady up with your sling, etc.

http://www.archive.org/details/Rifle_Marksmanship_with_the_M1_Rifle
Part 2 of above.

http://www.archive.org/details/Training_vid
German sniper training movie from WW2. These techniques wreaked a terrible price on Russian, US, and British soldiers. How well would they work on Khardis types?

http://www.soilandhealth.org/01aglibrary/01aglibwelcome.html
I found a neat book on making alcohol using solar power, for running engines on, as well as one on producer gas, which ran much of Europe and Asia when gasoline was gut off during WW2.

And on and on and on.

FoodFight
02-Mar-2009, 03:21 AM
I want Wooley on my team.

Trying to clear a building, even a one-storey alone is truly risky business. That makes team effort truly desirable (i.e. training before an event forces your hand).

I'm all for self-suffiency, but if things get to the point where the only interaction between people is the exchange of gunfire then we really don't stand a chance as a species. Skills that can be traded for goods would be invaluable. Hunting, farming, metalworking, shade-tree mechanic (I believe you mentioned that one in the distant past) and many others can keep you fed if you're more useful as an asset to a community. My present condition limits my ability to travel, so I plan on staying put unless I am really in dire straights.

Here's a weird, outside-the-box resource that has a some (little) value to preparedness. Note, no cats were harmed in the making of this sweater.
http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=66063

Wooley
08-Mar-2009, 10:00 PM
I want Wooley on my team.

Thanks man!

Yojimbo
09-Mar-2009, 04:28 AM
Can't find fault with a single idea Cb. The suggestion on law enforcement clearing tactics is especially good military urban tactics seem to all hinge on having teams and heavy weapons while police seem to operate alone or with limited backup and small arms.

I'd also suggest building a library of useful books, magazines, instructional DVDs, websites, etc, and then begin to learn those skills as best as practicable, because when the boat starts sinking, it's too late to learn to swim.

Some suggestions include The 99 Cent a Meal Cookbook and Eat Well For 99 Cents a Meal by Bill and Ruth Kaysing. The meals revolve around cheap, nutrition staples like wheat, corn, rice, beans, potatoes, as well as fresh fruit and vegetables.

Nuclear War Survival Skills, by Cresson H Kearney. You can survive a nuclear war and the man who did research into low cost, expedient gear and skills for the Federal government shows you how.

The Fifty Dollar and Up Underground House Book b Mike Oehler, along with The Hippie Survival Guide to Y2K and The Earth Sheltered Solar Greenhouse Book, also by Oehler. Man built a house in the 70s that stays reasonable warm in winter, cool in summer with no AC and a wood stove. It'd also protect you against small arms fire if it came down to that. The man's greenhouses carry vegetables like lettuce into December and he lives in Idaho. The Hippie Survival Guide, while dated, does have some useful advice, mostly, his description of a pit or trench house that he says can be built in a week with a shovel, axe, polyethelyne sheeting and logs. It looks similar to the dugouts that have sheltered people for years, if you put a plastic sheet on the roof and added a half foot of earth to it.

The Ultimate Sniper by John Plaster and The Illustrated Manual of Sniper Skills by Mark Spicer. No, you're not going to be DevilDog, but in a world where ammo is limited, medical care is primitive, and the opportunity to train and field large numbers of defense forces is probably not likely, you'll need something to keep the Khardis types from killing you for your food. Both books cover camo, marksmanship, tactics, and more that'd be useful of a ad-hoc civilian defense force. Of particular note is far ambushes, stay behinds, and initiating explosives like civilian dynamite with bullets, snipers in the defense and offense, and more.

Tracking: A Blueprint For Learning How by Jack Kearney. Former Border Patrolman who is one of the nation's top man trackers goes through how to learn to spot sign, and follow it.

Tactical Tracking Operations by David Scott Donelan. Former tracker with the Rhodesian armed forces, and deals with tracking people who aren't likely to want you to find them, or be peaceful when you do.

Websites:
http://www.ahco.army.mil/site/index.jsp
Collection of old US military manuals. Useful in low tech situations.

http://www.cd3wd.com/CD3WD_40/CD3WD/index.htm
Huge listing of appropriate tech work. What's appropriate tech? Stuff that's simple and designed to work in an area with minimal support, kinda like the world after zombies.

http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/showthread.php?t=2467
The defensive arrangements made by Rhodesian farmers during the communist backed terrorist insurgency.

http://www.archive.org/details/Rifle_Marksmanship_with_M1_Rifle_Part_1
Ammo doesn't grow on trees, so you'd better make them count. Learn how to judge wind, and adjust for it, steady up with your sling, etc.

http://www.archive.org/details/Rifle_Marksmanship_with_the_M1_Rifle
Part 2 of above.

http://www.archive.org/details/Training_vid
German sniper training movie from WW2. These techniques wreaked a terrible price on Russian, US, and British soldiers. How well would they work on Khardis types?

http://www.soilandhealth.org/01aglibrary/01aglibwelcome.html
I found a neat book on making alcohol using solar power, for running engines on, as well as one on producer gas, which ran much of Europe and Asia when gasoline was gut off during WW2.

And on and on and on.
Nice post, Wooley, well thought out. You da man, and I too would consider a brother like you to be a great asset on any shtf team.

MaximusIncredulous
11-Mar-2009, 06:26 AM
How well would they work on Khardis types?

You give that guy too much credit. When the shit hits the fan, people like him are going to be food. I guarantee it.

Since I'm here, may as well throw in one more resource:
http://www.churchofeuthanasia.org/e-sermons/butcher.html

Could be the only meat a person gets to eat once the canned stuff runs out.

Yojimbo
11-Mar-2009, 05:40 PM
You give that guy too much credit. When the shit hits the fan, people like him are going to be food. I guarantee it.

Whoa. Good info to have, but I think I'd rather go out and forage for berries or poach squirrels, possums, cats and rats, maybe even dogs, before I break that taboo.

Wooley
15-Mar-2009, 06:50 AM

Khardis is gonna be someone's bitch 10 minutes after the lights go out, yeah. He talked a lot of shit, but I think he'll be standing around with everyone else, waiting for the lights to go back on, or lacking that, ice and MREs from the National Guard. There was a guy like him on a survival board, well known troll, who was a convicted felon.

Guy talked a lot of shit about how he'd never go back to prison, how he'd wage a one man insurgency that'd bring the country to it's knees, like fly over the western states in a stolen plane and drop flares to start massive brush fires, stuff like that So what do you know? He swipes his wife's guns, gold, and ammo and splits one day, and like the saying goes, Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. She narcs him out to the ATF, who, since he's a felon now in possession of firearms, go after him.

They find him at the home of the woman he'd shacked up with, and take him in without raising their voices, it sounded like. He's a 3 time Federal loser now, and I think, if the doom and gloomers are right and things do take a turn for the worst, he may very well find himself in a Lloyd Henried situation.

Thing is, for every type out there like him and Khardis, who are full of shit and will end up with a .30-30 soft point in the stomach on Z day plus 3 from some 60 year old farmer while they are stealing chickens, there are those who aren't, those who do intend to prey on others, and who do have enough cunning and do have the lack of morality to do it. Our prisons and mental institutions are full of them, and there's many, many more who haven't been caught, or who are on parole, etc.

And they're going to hurt a lot of people before things stabilize if civilization takes a downturn and before things stabilize, probably when the remnants of recognized authority and civilian defense groups hunt them all down and kill them.

It was that retard and his rantings that inspired me to start looking ways a lone family can take on and hold out against a group of such vermin, or how a hastily formed group of civilian volunteers, with a variety of arms, little if any training, nonexistent resupply, and leaders of varying quality could provide security for their communities against the criminal hordes.

Improvised land mines, snipers, improvised mortars, and community defense forces based on the Boer Commandos or US Colonial Militia are some of what I've come up with.

Funny thing-the dork from the other board was big on cannibalism too.

Crappingbear
15-Mar-2009, 07:41 AM
Khardis is gonna be someone's bitch 10 minutes after the lights go out, yeah. He talked a lot of shit, but I think he'll be standing around with everyone else, waiting for the lights to go back on, or lacking that, ice and MREs from the National Guard. There was a guy like him on a survival board, well known troll, who was a convicted felon.

Guy talked a lot of shit about how he'd never go back to prison, how he'd wage a one man insurgency that'd bring the country to it's knees, like fly over the western states in a stolen plane and drop flares to start massive brush fires, stuff like that So what do you know? He swipes his wife's guns, gold, and ammo and splits one day, and like the saying goes, Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. She narcs him out to the ATF, who, since he's a felon now in possession of firearms, go after him.

They find him at the home of the woman he'd shacked up with, and take him in without raising their voices, it sounded like. He's a 3 time Federal loser now, and I think, if the doom and gloomers are right and things do take a turn for the worst, he may very well find himself in a Lloyd Henried situation.

Thing is, for every type out there like him and Khardis, who are full of shit and will end up with a .30-30 soft point in the stomach on Z day plus 3 from some 60 year old farmer while they are stealing chickens, there are those who aren't, those who do intend to prey on others, and who do have enough cunning and do have the lack of morality to do it. Our prisons and mental institutions are full of them, and there's many, many more who haven't been caught, or who are on parole, etc.

And they're going to hurt a lot of people before things stabilize if civilization takes a downturn and before things stabilize, probably when the remnants of recognized authority and civilian defense groups hunt them all down and kill them.

It was that retard and his rantings that inspired me to start looking ways a lone family can take on and hold out against a group of such vermin, or how a hastily formed group of civilian volunteers, with a variety of arms, little if any training, nonexistent resupply, and leaders of varying quality could provide security for their communities against the criminal hordes.

Improvised land mines, snipers, improvised mortars, and community defense forces based on the Boer Commandos or US Colonial Militia are some of what I've come up with.

Funny thing-the dork from the other board was big on cannibalism too.

I missed the whole troll thing but will tack onto your idea of defending against raiders. My own personal take is that unless they are trained mil or law enforcement types, raiders will be fodder to be picked off and demoralized with each loss. I'm not Davy Crockett or Rambo but I am easily capable of slipping into the weeds and picking off a "gang" of badasses from their flanks. A few well placed .22 rifle slugs leaving their forces wounded will take the wind out of most of their sails. I'd much rather be in the bush with room to move than in a confinement thats a target of raiders.

Anyone who lays a perimeter defense of an encampment needs multiple forms of defense. Against the living, a good to cause a bit of pain is to string our tri-tip fish hooks on monofiliment fishing line at eye level all throughout the outer areas of your encampment. Not fun digging that out of their faces. You can use a variant of that with cans with pebbles in them for alarms. No, you won't hear it, but your dog will. You do have your dogs with you, eh?

SRP76
17-Mar-2009, 04:44 AM
Of course, all this survivalist stuff assumes you're going to make it out of your bedroom first. If you're unlucky, the first you'll even hear of the existence of zombies is when a group of them wakes you up when they barge through your back door at 3AM and start eating the cat in the hallway.

If that's the case, you're going to have your hands full even getting to the point where any of that stuff will be useful.

Debbieangel
19-Mar-2009, 03:23 AM
Ok, I am zombie meat, will you guys swing by and pick me up!
I like your ideas but, dang, I need help all I got is my handy dandy griddle by my side? So, do a nice favor for a lady and pick me up. I CAN COOK!!!
I CAN CLEAN!!! I CAN WASH YOUR CLOTHES!!! I have a good remedy for getting blood out of clothes soo please please pick me up!!;)

Crappingbear
19-Mar-2009, 08:11 AM
Of course, all this survivalist stuff assumes you're going to make it out of your bedroom first. If you're unlucky, the first you'll even hear of the existence of zombies is when a group of them wakes you up when they barge through your back door at 3AM and start eating the cat in the hallway.

If that's the case, you're going to have your hands full even getting to the point where any of that stuff will be useful.

Anyone who lives life with one eye open won't be taken by surprise. The second an "outsider" scrapes against my house, my dogs are on the hunt and then its my job to step in and deal with it. If Im willing to putt a couple of .40 magazines down the hall at the intruders, I damn sure dont have a problem with putting a spike into the skull of a baddie.

MaximusIncredulous
19-Mar-2009, 08:12 AM
I CAN CLEAN!!! I CAN WASH YOUR CLOTHES!!! I have a good remedy for getting blood out of clothes soo please please pick me up!!;)

Blood in my undies would be the least of my worries :dead:

FoodFight
19-Mar-2009, 01:20 PM

I dunno about that. I've got in excess of 3000 rounds in my bedroom alone, and I doubt that zoms could stealthily gain entry to my home. But if they start eating pets, it will be so 'on'!

Debbieangel
19-Mar-2009, 09:44 PM
I was kidding before but, I really do mean you guys have it all figured out pretty well.
I have my own ideas on how I would handle the zombs. I don't have the firepower you guys do but I could put up a good fight.
My home alone is a good stronghold and unless there were hundreds of zombies at one time we could hold out for quite a long time.
The way my house is would make it hard for any to get into in the first place.I have places in this house I can go to where the zombies couldnt get to, like the basement. The only way in there is throught the outside and there is metal doors on it and then you have to go through another door to get inside basement. The other place is the attic it is up in the ceiling, no way for a zombie to get up there to get at us. So, places to fall back on atleast for awhile. It would be easier to defend than most houses and if need be if I had to vacate there are other places I could go where there is weapons and food that I know of right now.
Well we all would have a 'heads up' if zombies were happening I am sure so, we all would have enough time to get ready for it. Well in the zombie world.

Crappingbear
20-Mar-2009, 08:27 AM
I was kidding before but, I really do mean you guys have it all figured out pretty well.
I have my own ideas on how I would handle the zombs. I don't have the firepower you guys do but I could put up a good fight.
My home alone is a good stronghold and unless there were hundreds of zombies at one time we could hold out for quite a long time.
The way my house is would make it hard for any to get into in the first place.I have places in this house I can go to where the zombies couldnt get to, like the basement. The only way in there is throught the outside and there is metal doors on it and then you have to go through another door to get inside basement. The other place is the attic it is up in the ceiling, no way for a zombie to get up there to get at us. So, places to fall back on atleast for awhile. It would be easier to defend than most houses and if need be if I had to vacate there are other places I could go where there is weapons and food that I know of right now.
Well we all would have a 'heads up' if zombies were happening I am sure so, we all would have enough time to get ready for it. Well in the zombie world.

All ideas are valid. Im the biggest proponent of going it alone in mother nature with no fortifications which everyone disagrees with. But, its because I am experienced and more comfortable in a dry stream bed surrounded by thorn ladened Mesquite bushes than I am in a New York ghetto. Room to move and a few sticks and rocks are all I need. Not being macho, just realistic with my own survival/camping skills.

Yojimbo
20-Mar-2009, 03:09 PM
All ideas are valid. Im the biggest proponent of going it alone in mother nature with no fortifications which everyone disagrees with. But, its because I am experienced and more comfortable in a dry stream bed surrounded by thorn ladened Mesquite bushes than I am in a New York ghetto. Room to move and a few sticks and rocks are all I need. Not being macho, just realistic with my own survival/camping skills.

Agreed. Besides, if your gonna die anyway, you might as well die in the great outdoors breathing fresh air and surrounded by nature rather than buying it in some tenement rooftop in the middle of Compton.

Debbieangel
20-Mar-2009, 08:20 PM
The great outdoors? I could see me stumbling around and blam I fall down and there I am a zombie meal.
I have said on another thread I would get as much of my family together as possible and make a barricade with vehicles around the house. Some members of the family have trucks, which could be loaded with supplies ready to go in a hurry if we needed to.
For me the best thing for me wouldnt to go on foot, I would definitely have to have things well planned out to exit my home.
In my area I know of atleast two other houses well stocked that I could go to provided the zombies weren't around. Also, it is family so presumebly no trouble getting into the house and it would be far enough away from my house that we could outrun the zombies. But, not to far away that it would be hard to get too.
Another good thing: we could use walkie talkies to talk to each other cause we live close enough from each other to get info. Its the lay of the land that is the plus on my side. I think that would be most important knowing whats ahead of you and whats behind you.
Know the area you dedide to be in so you aren't surprised by the dead or the living.
Also know who are the enemies. If there are people around that are gonna betray you when your back is turned then you are screwed no matter how good your plans are or how well you have it.

Crappingbear
21-Mar-2009, 09:34 AM
The great outdoors? I could see me stumbling around and blam I fall down and there I am a zombie meal.
I have said on another thread I would get as much of my family together as possible and make a barricade with vehicles around the house. Some members of the family have trucks, which could be loaded with supplies ready to go in a hurry if we needed to.
For me the best thing for me wouldnt to go on foot, I would definitely have to have things well planned out to exit my home.
In my area I know of atleast two other houses well stocked that I could go to provided the zombies weren't around. Also, it is family so presumebly no trouble getting into the house and it would be far enough away from my house that we could outrun the zombies. But, not to far away that it would be hard to get too.
Another good thing: we could use walkie talkies to talk to each other cause we live close enough from each other to get info. Its the lay of the land that is the plus on my side. I think that would be most important knowing whats ahead of you and whats behind you.
Know the area you dedide to be in so you aren't surprised by the dead or the living.
Also know who are the enemies. If there are people around that are gonna betray you when your back is turned then you are screwed no matter how good your plans are or how well you have it.

Be comfortable with your own situation, thats survival. Sounds like you have a good plan so good luck. I'm an old goat who is more comfortable in the shadow of creosote bushes and snacking on rattlesnakes. No right or wrong, just use what you know.

Zomby Woof
22-Mar-2009, 03:22 PM
Real life has a way of taking bad situations and making them unbelievably worse. If a dead-idemic ever occurs, it's gonna get ugly fast.

A working knowledge of basic survival skills may be necessary, but the key to surviving will lay in one’s ability to remain inconspicuous. Simply put, you have to maintain a low profile.

While the most obvious and consistent threat will be from zeds, I’m certain that the greatest threat will be from fellow survivors. I’d be hard pressed – in fact, I don’t think I’d be able to – trust anyone who wasn’t related to me or whom I didn’t know really, really well. The safest, indeed surest survival strategy will be to avoid contact with both the zeds and survivors, at all costs.

lamf
24-Mar-2009, 02:41 AM
BBQ sauce makes all the difference, how do you like your zombie flavored?

1)Vinegar based (personal fave)
2)Mustard based
3)Sweet/Sugar based (for the ripe ones)
4)Ketchup/tomato based

Whats up CB looooooooooooooooong time no see

sammylou
25-Mar-2009, 12:01 AM
I'd consider myself lucky if I even got a fighting chance. On the topic of food, what about cannobolism? How far would you have to be pushed to sink to that level? Or would you go there at all?

Debbieangel
25-Mar-2009, 12:13 AM
I'd consider myself lucky if I even got a fighting chance. On the topic of food, what about cannobolism? How far would you have to be pushed to sink to that level? Or would you go there at all?

No way! I figure if we would be very careful we would be able to stretch the food a long long time. Depending on what time of the year maybe get fresh vegetables in the fields. There lots of farms around here.

krakenslayer
25-Mar-2009, 12:30 AM

If you're talking about people that have already died (and not revived), I think you'd have to consider it if the worst came to worst. But aside from the emotional and moral issues there are several biological reasons why it's not good to sustain yourself on human flesh, particularly over long periods of time: mainly that diseases are easier passed from human-to-human, as opposed to animal-to-human, because of the identical physiology. So a long-term career cannibal will eventually experience a snowball effect whereby he picks up whatever bacterial, viral or prion diseases his repasts have suffered from. While the risks are reduced somewhat by thorough cooking, certain viral and prion-protein based disorders have been observed to spread via cannibalism, enough to become a major health consideration.

As far as eating zombies is concerned, there are three main issues you have to consider:

1) What is causing the zombie epidemic? If the cause is some kind of biological or chemical agent that is present throughout the corpse and passed primarily through saliva-blood contact (bites), then you run the risk of infecting yourself by eating them. If the cause is something external, such as "demonic" possession, external neuronal control, a contagion present only in the brain or (as in Romero's films) some strange affliction that affects everyone but only after death, then you could consider if you are in extremis. However...

2) How fresh is the corpse? If the body is more than a day or so old, depending on the nature of the disorder, decay may have set in and the tissue may be poisonous and riddled with bacteria. Even if the corpse itself does not decompose normally, whatever it has eaten will be sitting in its gut, festering in a toxic bacterial soup that may spread to other parts of the body (and may, in fact, be the cause of the zombie's deadly bite, much like that of the Komodo dragon).

3) The issues discussed above with regard to regular cannibalism also apply.

Crappingbear
25-Mar-2009, 01:30 AM
BBQ sauce makes all the difference, how do you like your zombie flavored?

1)Vinegar based (personal fave)
2)Mustard based
3)Sweet/Sugar based (for the ripe ones)
4)Ketchup/tomato based

Whats up CB looooooooooooooooong time no see

Yah, no kidding its been years. :)

I too like the tart, tangy sauce and don't like the sugary red ketchup sauces.

FoodFight
25-Mar-2009, 01:07 PM
Mmmmm. Long pig ceviche.

Crappingbear
26-Mar-2009, 05:58 AM
Mmmmm. Long pig ceviche.

Lost on most. But, as you say, a bit of lime/lemon juice with diced onions, peppers and herbs will create a delightful "cooked" appetizer salad. Long pig being pork, of course. :)

Yojimbo
26-Mar-2009, 04:32 PM
Lost on most. But, as you say, a bit of lime/lemon juice with diced onions, peppers and herbs will create a delightful "cooked" appetizer salad. Long pig being pork, of course. :)
A cooked human is bad enough, but human flesh "cooked" only in citric acid is really over the limit of palatability. Pretty gross!

Crappingbear
27-Mar-2009, 10:20 AM
A cooked human is bad enough, but human flesh "cooked" only in citric acid is really over the limit of palatability. Pretty gross!

Cerviche is seafood of course. But, what of steak tartar? What of Japanese beef tatake? A bit of flesh with a dipping sauce is good eats. Amen.

Any by the way, you can refer to me as Sanjuro from now on. Or not. :)

Yojimbo
27-Mar-2009, 08:28 PM
Cerviche is seafood of course. But, what of steak tartar? What of Japanese beef tatake? A bit of flesh with a dipping sauce is good eats. Amen.

Any by the way, you can refer to me as Sanjuro from now on. Or not. :)

Don't mind eating my beef rare or even in carpaccio/tartare form (provided it is USDA inspected) but your random human (considering the diseases of today) I wouldn't think of kissing let alone eating - raw or otherwise. Maybe it's just my hangup. :lol: I

I love ceviche, BTW. Have been known to get pretty ill too from time to time since I have a penchant for trying ceviche at every restaurant or taco truck I come across in Los Angeles. Still love it though - guess I will never learn.

Crappingbear, you wouldn't be a Kurosawa fan, would you? Dude like you, I would not be surprised. :)

Sanjuro- funny thing is I used to go by this moniker, but changed over when I approached my 40s since "Sanjuro" roughly translates to "thirty-something" (My wife currently uses that handle being on the early end of her thirties.

Crappingbear
29-Mar-2009, 09:00 AM
Don't mind eating my beef rare or even in carpaccio/tartare form (provided it is USDA inspected) but your random human (considering the diseases of today) I wouldn't think of kissing let alone eating - raw or otherwise. Maybe it's just my hangup. :lol: I

I love ceviche, BTW. Have been known to get pretty ill too from time to time since I have a penchant for trying ceviche at every restaurant or taco truck I come across in Los Angeles. Still love it though - guess I will never learn.

Crappingbear, you wouldn't be a Kurosawa fan, would you? Dude like you, I would not be surprised. :)

Sanjuro- funny thing is I used to go by this moniker, but changed over when I approached my 40s since "Sanjuro" roughly translates to "thirty-something" (My wife currently uses that handle being on the early end of her thirties.

Kurosawa-san is one of the greatest directors and visionaries in all of film in my opinion. Whether you are referencing Hidden Fortress as the empetis of Star Wars or dissecting the American Western evolving from Seven Samurai, AK is the MAN. It doesn't hurt to have a leading man like Mifune to be the John Wayne to John Fords muse either.

And while on the subject, my favorite Takeshi Miike film is the remake of the Korean film Happy Family, "The Happiness of the Katakuris". Its a brilliant comedy film and Richard cracks me up every time.

Lone Wolf and Cub? Yah. Fun especially considering he was the brother of "Zatoichi" another fave.

And to really break this down to the lowest common denominator, I love Puroresu Japanese Pro Wrestling as created by sumo legend Rikidozen, carried on by Antonio Inoki with New Japan and Giant Baba with All Japan. Mitsuhara Misawa vs Toshiaka Kawada is one of my favorite fueds ever even compared with my Texas favs the Funks vs Bruiser Brody and Stan Hansen.

Well......I'm Japanesed out. Other than I love Bio-Zombie, Wild Zero, Versus, Junk, and the other crazy horror they do. :)

MoonSylver
29-Mar-2009, 11:56 PM
Well......I'm Japanesed out. Other than I love Bio-Zombie, Wild Zero, Versus, Junk, and the other crazy horror they do. :)

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/6123/bowei8.gif

Crappingbear
30-Mar-2009, 09:00 AM
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/6123/bowei8.gif

Ok, I have no idea what your reply means. None. Maybe Stacies will refresh you from your Asian dislike? :)

MoonSylver
30-Mar-2009, 10:33 PM
Ok, I have no idea what your reply means. None. Maybe Stacies will refresh you from your Asian dislike? :)

No that was, I bow down to you sir. I'm a big fan of all said movies listed!

Yojimbo
30-Mar-2009, 11:16 PM
No that was, I bow down to you sir. I'm a big fan of all said movies listed!
As am I, Crappingbear. Good list, BTW.

Crappingbear
01-Apr-2009, 12:46 PM
So, is there anything better than Versus where you have the Forrest of Resurrection, zoms, machine guns and swords? Fun stuff. :)

MoonSylver
01-Apr-2009, 10:27 PM
So, is there anything better than Versus where you have the Forrest of Resurrection, zoms, machine guns and swords? Fun stuff. :)

I know not every one digs that film because it's too over the top or not a pure zombie movie, but I think it's 100% badass. I love the melange of various genres, & the twist at the end is wicked cool. If you're a Godzilla & or Kitamura fan, check out the final (for now) entry in the series "Godzilla: Final Wars". It's a lot of fun in a retro-kitsch kind of way.

http://subrevolt.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/Godzilla%20Final%20Wars-US.jpg

Yojimbo
06-Apr-2009, 07:12 PM
I know not every one digs that film because it's too over the top or not a pure zombie movie, but I think it's 100% badass. I love the melange of various genres, & the twist at the end is wicked cool. If you're a Godzilla & or Kitamura fan, check out the final (for now) entry in the series "Godzilla: Final Wars". It's a lot of fun in a retro-kitsch kind of way.

http://subrevolt.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/Godzilla%20Final%20Wars-US.jpg
Can't believe I have gone all this time and not seen this one! Going to check it out asap. Thanks moon!

MoonSylver
06-Apr-2009, 10:32 PM
Can't believe I have gone all this time and not seen this one! Going to check it out asap. Thanks moon!

:D

It's very fun in a campy way. I love all three "era's" (Showa, Heisei, & Millennium) of Godzilla for different reasons. My only complaint about this one is he fights so many opponents that some of the fights are soooo brief. But it's still good to see old favorites like the Kamakuras, Kumonga, Hedorah, King Caesar, & of course Gigan, who is totally badass in this film.

There's a special ummm...American guest star that it's GREAT to see the big G lay the smack down on.:D