PDA

View Full Version : ...Of the dead First of a series of 4 FILMS???

sirjacktorrance
19-Feb-2009, 11:46 AM
Hey Folks!

reading an exclusive interview with romero in mad movies magazine of france
i barely understand lots of fresh info about of the dead,but i can get a glimpse about of the dead to be the first of a series of 4 new films!! when i can i will scan the interview but is in french...

http://www.mad-movies.com/

bassman
19-Feb-2009, 12:26 PM
Ugh. I hope not. I enjoy his dead films as much as the next guy, but I want to see a non-zombie romero film before he retires or kicks the bucket...

MinionZombie
19-Feb-2009, 12:49 PM
Ugh. I hope not. I enjoy his dead films as much as the next guy, but I want to see a non-zombie romero film before he retires or kicks the bucket...
Indeed.

But he also said he'd do a sequel to Land, and a sequel to Diary - and he's not done either, so I wouldn't put much faith in him doing a series of 4 "of the Dead" films.

Nor do I think it's necessary - let's see how this new one goes - and then Romero should do another film that isn't zombies ... as much as I love me some GAR zombie action, the dude needs to spread his wings out - three GAR zed flicks since 2005 is a bit OTT.

I just hope that "of the Dead" is better than Diary ... which was pretty much "meh" ... Land though, I dug that (despite a few of it's flaws).

GAR really needs to - afterwards - get into something else though, not necessarily another genre, but at least something that's not zombies for a change ... you know?

In the mean time, bring on "of the Dead".

bassman
19-Feb-2009, 01:31 PM
Good point about Land and Diary. He said those were going to have sequels too.:confused: So maybe this is just him talking again.

But still...3 dead films in a row?? Romero has huge talent and I would LOVE to see him try it in some other genres. Maybe a straight suspense thriller, or a mystery, or even a comedy! It's obvious that Romero has a good sense of comedy so I wouldn't mind seeing him try his hand at that. I mean....who DIDN'T laugh at the amish guy scenes in Diary?

But...he may not be able to get financing for a non-zombie film.:(

krakenslayer
19-Feb-2009, 01:41 PM
But he also said he'd do a sequel to Land, and a sequel to Diary - and he's not done either, so I wouldn't put much faith in him doing a series of 4 "of the Dead" films.

Yeah, remember "Road of the Dead", the touted sequel to Land which would have featured Riley and crew fighting hordes of zombies on their way to the unpopulated wilderness of northern Canada? I always thought that sounded like fun - I'd love to have seen the Dead Reckoning, with it's zombie-plows and heavy armour, actually put to some use.

But still...3 dead films in a row?? Romero has huge talent and I would LOVE to see him try it in some other genres. Maybe a straight suspense thriller, or a mystery, or even a comedy! It's obvious that Romero has a good sense of comedy so I wouldn't mind seeing him try his hand at that. I mean....who DIDN'T laugh at the amish guy scenes in Diary?

Comedy? Well, I don't think he'd risk it as got burned pretty badly over There's Always Vanilla, and he's quite ashamed of it. That said, there are several non-zombie, and even non-horror, movies he's tried to get off the ground in recent years, and personally I'd love to see any of them get made. There's:

The Assassination, a true-life drama/thriller set in the early 1960s, revolving around the plot to kill South American dictator Rafael Trujillo. Ed Harris, James Coburn, Anthony Quinn and Ricky Martin were signed on to star, then Quinn died just a few weeks before shooting commenced.

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, his long awaited re-teaming with Stephen King. Apparently, Laura Dern was signed up to play the mother and Dakota Fanning was going to play the girl, then there were some hold ups with the studio which lasted a year or two by which time Fanning was getting too old (and too expensive) to play the part and the production was quietly shelved.

From a Buick 8, another King/Romero production. He was signed on to direct but there were more hold ups. By the time everything was cleared, Romero was busy with his zombie movies and the job went to Tobe Hooper.

Diamond Dead, which actually is a comedy of sorts (the closest thing I can liken it to is Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey with gore and musical numbers), now that I mention it. Romero was signed on to direct even though there was no money for the production (he loved the script so much). Some of the budget came from Ridley and Tony Scott but the rest of the money fell through and the movie never happened. It's a shame because it was a total change of pace for George and judging by the comedic content of his "serious" films, he could have made a really hilarious, exciting cult movie.

bassman
19-Feb-2009, 02:04 PM
Actually, there's been several recent interviews in which he said he would like to try a comedy.

I know about all of his failed non-zombie projects, I'm just saying that I wish he could get one off the ground. He's always said he would love to do a Tarzan film or a fantasy. That would be interesting.

I just don't want him to go out on nothing but zombie films. He has loads of talent that could work in any other genre, imo...

krakenslayer
19-Feb-2009, 02:13 PM
Actually, there's been several recent interviews in which he said he would like to try a comedy.

I know about all of his failed non-zombie projects, I'm just saying that I wish he could get one off the ground. He's always said he would love to do a Tarzan film or a fantasy. That would be interesting.

I just don't want him to go out on nothing but zombie films. He has loads of talent that could work in any other genre, imo...

Yeah, I totally agree. I'm really just listing the one's I would like to have seen. :D

[EDIT: As a grammar Nazi, I can't believe I used a "devil's apostrophe" in the above post. Please punch me if I do that again.]

MinionZombie
19-Feb-2009, 05:53 PM
It's obvious that Romero has a good sense of comedy so I wouldn't mind seeing him try his hand at that. I mean....who DIDN'T laugh at the amish guy scenes in Diary?

Point #1 - indeed, in fact I would like to see his zombie comedy idea come to fruition - he said it was basically a cartoon caper like a road runner cartoon - I like the sound of that.

Point #2 - again, indeed - and very sad too - the dude has a lot of good ideas, he just needs someone willing to nurture them with the required cash.

I think he needs to spring out of the zombie genre again now anyway, otherwise he'll get totally stuck in a rut - he needs to spring out of that and essentially prove to everything (again) that he can do something without zombies, or perhaps not even in the horror genre.

It must feel stifling creatively speaking, when you're essentially stuck in one type of film over and over - he must be rather keen to do something non-zombie, and I'd love to see such a film or films from him.

I'm a major GAR fan, so I'll watch anything he puts out - but equally, Diary was rather "meh" ... hopefully "of the Dead" returns his mojo, and then he can move onto other non-zombie projects for a bit, eh?

shootemindehead
19-Feb-2009, 07:10 PM
Have to say, I'd be happy if Romero never makes anything other than zombie movies 'til he pops his clogs. He's the only one who's been able to do correctly as far as I'm concerned. But I'd like to see him abandon the "Diary of the Dead" angle and go back to progressing his original series.

If he does do anything else, I certainly hope it's NOT a comedy, if that awful "pie-fight" sequence in "Dawn of the Dead" is anything to go by. :D

darth los
19-Feb-2009, 08:26 PM
Just a thought.

Does anyone here think that after his passing GAr would want to be portrayed in a future film as a zombie?

I know it's morbid but seriously wadda ya think?

:cool:

MinionZombie
20-Feb-2009, 10:32 AM
Just a thought.

Does anyone here think that after his passing GAr would want to be portrayed in a future film as a zombie?

All I can say is it'll be a sad day when he does go west. :(

But aye, someone will probably do that ... perhaps a bit after he's gone at least.

bassman
20-Feb-2009, 12:02 PM
Just a thought.

http://www.chud.com/articles/content_images/126/romerozombie.jpg

Rancid Carcass
20-Feb-2009, 02:57 PM
Woohoo - Night of the Living George! Nice :)

So if zombies do stuff they vaguely remember from life (like hanging out at the mall), then would a zombified GAR end up making zombie films? Or would he flip it around and end doing something like Dawn of the Living?

When there's no more room on Earth, the living will walk in Hell...

Now that's scary!

darth los
20-Feb-2009, 03:08 PM
All I can say is it'll be a sad day when he does go west. :(

But aye, someone will probably do that ... perhaps a bit after he's gone at least.

Like i said, I know it's morbid but it's a fitting tribute.

I know that GAR has tried to do other things but let's face it. Zombies are what he's known for. You would think that it would be done in tribute to ackowledge the master and his creation of the genre.

Thorn
20-Feb-2009, 03:17 PM
Yeah I was just going to post about this, I see I was beaten to the punch. Here is an Interview with George... (the parts I bolded pertain to the fact this is one of four according to him, the bits in red "may" be cause for alarm or he may have found work arounds that will satisfy even the toughest critics.)

American Zombie

'Night of the Living Dead's' George A. Romero comes to Charlotte

By Michael Knox

mknox@modernfilmzine.com | ModernFilmZine.com

George A. Romero may be considered one of the kings of the zombie horror genre, but fans may be surprised that Romero isn't really a fan of horror films.

Romero made the confession when he was discussing his involvement with the American Zombie event, which will be held Feb. 20 through 22 in Charlotte.

The event, sponsored by the Light Factory and Reel Soul Cinema, will feature a collection of Romero's films with Romero offering Q & A sessions for fans. The event also includes a horror film competition. [To find out about the Zombie Festival, check out ModernFilmZine.com ]

"I'm the wrong guy to be judging horror films," Romero said during a phone interview from his home in Toronto, Canada, "Because my stuff, I do not see it as horror. My stuff is more social satire. So I'm looking for more of a sub-theme. A theme that relates to humanity or the state of mankind, politics or something."

Romero may not really be a fan of the horror genre, but there is no denying he has created a cult following in that field. The writer/director of "Night of the Living Dead," "The Crazies" and "Dawn of the Dead," Romero has built a career on scaring audiences.

One of his latest films, "Diary of the Dead," has already proved popular with his fans, and Romero plans to build on that movie's success. He's already working on a sequel to "Diary of the Dead," which right now is simply being called, "Untitled Romero Project," he said.

"I'm taking characters from [Diary of the Dead] and trying to do a picture of what the world is like within the first couple of months of the dead coming back to life," Romero said. "There are incidental characters in 'Diary' that are main characters in this one. I want to do four of them. This one takes place on an island where it should be a haven. Two families feuding and can't pull it together in a time of crisis."

The untitled Romero project was filmed in and around Toronto, but not without difficulties.

"We've had the worst winter we have had in history," Romero said. "We started shooting in October and just got completely clobbered. It was just amazing. Snow, rain, just impossible conditions. We were able to make the movie but we weren't able to get everything we wanted to get."

Romero knows that is a condition that comes with making any movie. Of all the films he's directed there is only one film that really came together the way he expected, Romero said. That film is his vampire movie, "Martin."

"I think it's the most successful of the films I've made," Romero said. "It may not be the best film judged by other people, but it was the most successful conversion of what was on the page to the screen. I was able to make all the shots I wanted to make. And that goes a long away."

Romero said "Martin" was a low budget film that was shot for about $275,000. But it was his crew that made that film really work.

"We had a very dedicated crew and we were able to work any hours," he said. "We were all a bunch of filmmakers dedicated to the project. We were able to sit there until, literally, I got what I needed. If I could ever get that kind of freedom again that's what I would do."

The film is one of more than a dozen that Romero has directed in his career.

"Oddly the film that made me want to make movies is a Michael Powell film called 'The Tales of Hoffman,'" Romero said. "I think of it as the first music video. It's just a beautiful film. directors to influence John Ford. Hitchcock. I'm more of a story teller in my film style. I'm much more of a story teller than a stylist."

Born and raised in the Bronx, George Romero grew up feeling he had an artistic view that was not freely realized making 8mm films in his native New York, according to his biography.

By the time he had reached college age, he would pursue his filmmaking dreams not in his native New York, but at Carnegie Mellon Institute in Pennsylvania. After finishing his studies Romero and his friends would make an anthology Horror film entitled, "Expostulation."

The film, an anthology of five horror stories, would never be wholly finished, but it would lead to Romero's career in directing.

Over the years, Romero has developed a formula for moviemaking that works for him.

"If I don't see the whole thing, I just don't start writing" Romero said. "I need to see the whole thing. My first draft I usually write top to bottom. I just sit down and write act one and go through it and pull it apart later. I try to piece it together in my head before I ever sit down to write it."

But it's the filming stage that Romero sees his real challenges.

"When it's coming together it's not a joy," Romero said. "It's not a joyful time. But when it's finished I guess, when I first see it the first time I see a cut on it that I think is working it feels terrific. The best time for me is when we have a finished enough product to show it to friends and fans."

If you ask Romero what his most challenging film ever to make was, he is quick with an answer: "Land of the Dead."

"It was too ambitious," Romero said. "We really didn't have enough money."

Romero said the budget they had to work with was less than $20 million.

"It was a big film for that amount of bread and it was just impossible to pull it in," Romero said. "Frayed nerves all the way around. It was probably the toughest film, just from the amount of work and everything, from set design and the number of zombies. Everything was much bigger than its budget allowed. Everyone was putting in 20 hour days just to pull it off."

The movie adds to Romero's growing collection of films. And though he may not be a horror fan, he is still considered an authority on the subject.

He is listed as an executive producer on the documentary, "Into the Dark: Exploring the Horror Film."

"I just did five or six hours of interviews for them," Romero said. "I just have a lot of faith in these guys. And I said they can use my name as one of the producers."

Romero is aware of his status in the horror industry.

"Zombies. I love it. I've been able to build this sort of mythology around it and I'm very satisfied," he said. "I can put my own little observations and social criticisms and nobody questions it because bottom line is it is a zombie movie."

And Romero's mythology has secured himself a career that he knows he's lucky to have accomplished.

"I've done it forever and I've never had another job and I don't know what the hell else I'd want to do" he said. "It's a wonderful way to express yourself. At my age it's nice to say I never took a job, I never took a film just because of the money or my agent wanted me to take it. I've stayed on the fringes and done my own thing. And that's pretty satisfying."

http://www.salisburypost.com/Lifestyle/021909-Romero-Knox-interview

darth los
20-Feb-2009, 03:55 PM
At my age it's nice to say I never took a job, I never took a film just because of the money or my agent wanted me to take it. I've stayed on the fringes and done my own thing. And that's pretty satisfying."

http://www.salisburypost.com/Lifestyle/021909-Romero-Knox-interview

There's virtually no higher compliment to be paid to someone than that. He did it his way.

As usual, great post thorn. I found out a couple of things I didn't know. Great contribution. :thumbsup:

bassman
20-Feb-2009, 04:06 PM
There's virtually no higher compliment to be paid to someone than that. He did it his way.

Yeah, I agree. But there's also a flip side to that coin, imo. What would be the harm in taking a project that could open the door to other non-zombie related projects?

I know he loves the zombies but he's got to wish he could do some different, "dream" projects. I know I would take a studio-pitched film if they agreed to finance another of my personal projects. That kind of thing happens all the time, if im not mistaken.

But as you said....you alsop gotta respect the man for sticking to his guns.

Thorn
20-Feb-2009, 04:25 PM

As usual, great post thorn. I found out a couple of things I didn't know. Great contribution. :thumbsup:

Thank you my brother, as always your feedback is invaluable and most appreciated.

clanglee
21-Feb-2009, 03:43 AM
Tonight at the Q&A after the Night screening George did mention that he would be happy to shoot anything. He was talking about his Mr. Roger's days and he said something to the effect of "We were there filming stuff about How lightbulbs work. Hell I would do that now. I'll do it tomorrow, just gimme the job." That's not verbatum, but you get the gist.

He did metion that it was difficult to get funding for anything not zombie related. But he really didn't go over a list of dream projects or anything. As a matter of fact, he said he did not really have a "dream" project. He mentioned a few of the things that have fallen through. Kinda seemed a bit disspirited about any non-zombie movie in the future.

darth los
24-Feb-2009, 01:51 PM
I don't know why that would be though. GAR has proven that he CAN have success directing non-zombie related movies. Martin, The crazies and creepshow are really good movies. They also feel like GAR films unlike others he's been at the helm for.

Mike70
24-Feb-2009, 02:15 PM
He did metion that it was difficult to get funding for anything not zombie related. But he really didn't go over a list of dream projects or anything. As a matter of fact, he said he did not really have a "dream" project. He mentioned a few of the things that have fallen through. Kinda seemed a bit disspirited about any non-zombie movie in the future.

did he happen to mention the dracula mini-series he was working on at ABC that fell through. that was some sad shit, i'd love to see george's take on dracula.

darth los
24-Feb-2009, 02:38 PM
did he happen to mention the dracula mini-series he was working on at ABC that fell through. that was some sad shit, i'd love to see george's take on dracula.

It would bevery interesting to see GAR's take on other "monsters" in horror. He is, after all, responsible for creating arguably the most popular movie/video game monster of this era, so what he thinks holds some weight.

clanglee
24-Feb-2009, 07:43 PM

All he really said about his failed projects is that for a few years straight, while working through the hollywood system he made more money than he had ever made in his life, but made no movies during this time because everything kept falling through. He got very tired of it.

bassman
24-Feb-2009, 07:46 PM
Free money? Sounds like a sweet deal to me.:p

If he made that much, he should fund his own non-dead project and then take it around for distribution. If he really wants to do one at this point, anyway...

Mike70
24-Feb-2009, 08:05 PM
All he really said about his failed projects is that for a few years straight, while working through the hollywood system he made more money than he had ever made in his life, but made no movies during this time because everything kept falling through. He got very tired of it.

i'll have to dig up the interview from many moons ago where george is talking about working on the mummy remake. apparently, the script he wrote was a straight up horror flick. the studio wanted "raiders of the lost ark" with mummies in it (which is what they ultimately got). george made quite a chunk of change off that screenplay even though it never saw the light of day. he also had a flim that i believe was called "before i wake" or something along those lines, that actually had production offices open before it got nuked.

EDIT: ah ha! here it is. it was an interview done in 2004. here's the pertinent bit:

Capone: You mentioned when you were in Chicago about scripts you'd written in the 1990s, like the first draft of THE MUMMY...
G.R.: Yeah, also GOOSEBUMPS. We had this other project called BEFORE I WAKE, which went from New Line. We had a deal at New Line, and they just never made a movie with us. We got this property out of there when we left and MGM picked it up, we developed it, rewrote it, all the other bullshit. They didn't do it. We'd gotten the greenlight right at that period to do THE MUMMY, but MGM wouldn't let us out of our deal. It came down to 12 days, they wanted to hang onto us for 12 days, and then they ended up not making BEFORE I WAKE, and we wound up losing them both. They started to piss at each other, the two studios. Then Chris Columbus picked it up, and we wrote more drafts and got it together. But by then, there was so much money against the project, something like $3 million or $4 million spent. It's still one of my favorite scripts. I think it went back to MGM at some point. Maybe someday...

the full interview:

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=17989

clanglee
24-Feb-2009, 08:18 PM
Yeah, interesting tidbit about Before I Wake, Merril fucking Streep was interested in the lead for that role. The studio head refused her, referring to her as "yesterday's pizza":rolleyes:

MinionZombie
24-Feb-2009, 09:13 PM
Yeah, interesting tidbit about Before I Wake, Merril fucking Streep was interested in the lead for that role. The studio head refused her, referring to her as "yesterday's pizza":rolleyes:
Ugh ... sometimes you just wish studios would learn to shut the fuck up and trust the talent more, eh?

Wyldwraith
03-Mar-2009, 12:32 PM
That interview answered a question for me,
GAR says he can add whatever message or what-not he likes, because bottom line: People will see it's a zombie movie.

That answers the question of whether or not GAR is/was aware that people think he's used zombies as a simple vehicle for his social commentary. The fact he doesn't even like horror movies is sort of telling.

Don't get me wrong, I think GAR has an unrivaled genius that's only barely begun to be tapped. The man just needs to discover his focus and muse again.

As for a non-zombie GAR film. Not for me. Plenty of other folks do great films in other sub-genres of horror, or other genres entirely. I look to the master when I want survival horror, and after him burning up so much creative credibility with the Diary disaster I'd be hesitant to pay 20$ at the movies, or for a DVD of a non-zombie flick by GAR.

The man has his niche, which he remains the king of. I'd like to see him regain his old glory before even thinking about branching out.

Or, put more cynically. If he can't get more than 20 million & of studio faith behind him, what sort of shoestring budget indie flick would he have to make to go out-of-genre?

If you look around lately there's a growing dissatisfaction with the viewers of Indie films of late. When was the last time a new one really struck a major chord with a significant number of people?

Pair that with how spoiled moviegoers are getting by production after production with huge first team special effect budgets, and I don't think GAR's prospects would be good outside the genre he created until he's re-solidified his hold on that genre with a new success.

It was also great to hear that he really knows where Land went wrong. Though it discourages me that he believes there was ANYTHING in Diary worth perpetuating. Much like cat feces, that film and all its elements would be best buried in stink-absorbing litter.

Still, great resource to pull up and post Thorn :)

krakenslayer
03-Mar-2009, 12:40 PM
By the time he had reached college age, he would pursue his filmmaking dreams not in his native New York, but at Carnegie Mellon Institute in Pennsylvania. After finishing his studies Romero and his friends would make an anthology Horror film entitled, "Expostulation."

The film, an anthology of five horror stories, would never be wholly finished, but it would lead to Romero's career in directing.

I did NOT know that! :eek:

A predecessor to Creepshow, perhaps?

darth los
06-Mar-2009, 08:13 PM
Well, if it was a predecessor I wouldn't be suprised.

GAR is very persistent and more importantly, a true artist. He wants to see his visions fulfilled. Now, it normlly doesn't happen for him right away so he finds an opportunity to stick his ideas in here and there.

I can count atleast 5 different things off the top of my head that were in the original script for day that made it's way into diary, land and this new upcoming project.

sirjacktorrance
08-Mar-2009, 01:38 PM
i see things of th riginal day in land and the new of the dead film but,i canīt remember none in diary.what are the 5 things you see?

DjfunkmasterG
05-Jan-2010, 12:25 PM
Indeed.

Nor do I think it's necessary - let's see how this new one goes - and then Romero should do another film that isn't zombies ... as much as I love me some GAR zombie action, the dude needs to spread his wings out - three GAR zed flicks since 2005 is a bit OTT.

I just hope that "of the Dead" is better than Diary ... which was pretty much "meh" ... Land though, I dug that (despite a few of it's flaws).

GAR really needs to - afterwards - get into something else though, not necessarily another genre, but at least something that's not zombies for a change ... you know?

In the mean time, bring on "of the Dead".

Umm, sinc ethe military guy in Survival is from Diary and talks about the kids from Diary, it then makes Survival a sequel

And, I will raise Romero's 4 sequels with the final chapter in I AM ZOMBIE MAN, and a 3rd Deadlands

krakenslayer
05-Jan-2010, 12:41 PM
Umm, sinc ethe military guy in Survival is from Diary and talks about the kids from Diary, it then makes Survival a sequel

Yeah, I'd call it a sequel too (narratively, if not thematically). I figured he actually meant Survival as the second in a series of four films - Diary being the first, Survival the second, the one about the black militia third and the fourth one about either the annoying Little Miss Texas in her Winnebago, or the continuing adventures of the survivors in the panic room. Personally, I'd prefer the latter.

MinionZombie
05-Jan-2010, 05:44 PM
Personally I'd prefer him to leave the Diary characters well alone after Survival, which I'd barely consider a sequel, quite honestly. One carry-over character who makes brief mention to those in a previous film? Not much of a sequel to me...

IAZM3 ... Deadlands 3 ... man, Deej, if you do a 4th one or a remake I'll have to join in to keep the unity going. :D

krakenslayer
05-Jan-2010, 05:50 PM
Personally I'd prefer him to leave the Diary characters well alone after Survival, which I'd barely consider a sequel, quite honestly. One carry-over character who makes brief mention to those in a previous film? Not much of a sequel to me...

IAZM3 ... Deadlands 3 ... man, Deej, if you do a 4th one or a remake I'll have to join in to keep the unity going. :D

But doesn't it contain footage from Diary at the start? Someone told me we even see the main characters from Diary and everything.

MinionZombie
05-Jan-2010, 05:55 PM
But doesn't it contain footage from Diary at the start? Someone told me we even see the main characters from Diary and everything.
Really?

Hmmm ... well ... I still don't know whether I'd really consider it a sequel. Like a really real sequel.

krakenslayer
05-Jan-2010, 06:01 PM
Really?

Hmmm ... well ... I still don't know whether I'd really consider it a sequel. Like a really real sequel.

I think it was either Capn or Andy, I forget. They mentioned that before the internet goes down, the soldiers find the footage the Diary survivors uploaded on the web and watch the scene of themselves raiding the Winniebago. They realise, to their amusement, that they have become slightly famous.

Andy? Cap? Can you guys confirm this?

I know what you mean though about it not feeling like a true sequel. It's a bit like Blades popping up in Land... yeah, it's a sequel but not of the Ghostbusters 2 type. :)

AcesandEights
05-Jan-2010, 08:23 PM
Really?

I think if it were another director sharing a vision of their current world, with a minor character cum protag thrown in and some totally different narrative from its proceeding film, we'd all be more likely to say, "Oh, it's a loose sequel."

So, that's what I'm going with for now. Or would indirect sequel be appropriate, film dudes?

MoonSylver
05-Jan-2010, 08:25 PM

It is as much as Dawn is to Night or Day is to Dawn. There is NO carry over between those movies, yet you can still view them as part of a series OR as stand-alone & they work either way.

Now that I think about it, "sequel" might not be the right word per se..."series" MIGHT be a better fit...:rockbrow:

I think it was either Capn or Andy, I forget. They mentioned that before the internet goes down, the soldiers find the footage the Diary survivors uploaded on the web and watch the scene of themselves raiding the Winniebago. They realise, to their amusement, that they have become slightly famous.

Andy? Cap? Can you guys confirm this?

Sarge talks about it in one of the 2 "Sarge" videos that were released. My understanding was there were quick, pick up bits that they did on the fly as promo's & not part of them film per se? (can't remember which thread that was in...maybe the interview w/ GAR?)

NOt on Youtube that I could find to embed, but here are the links...the 2nd one features the mentions to Diary in question:

http://www.in.com/videos/watchvideo-survival-of-the-dead-sarge-part-1-of-2-4609529.html

http://www.in.com/videos/watchvideo-survival-of-the-dead-sarge-part-2-of-2-4857207.html

Danny
05-Jan-2010, 08:45 PM
i think it would be a very sad thing for romero to make nothing but zombie films for the rest of his career. At the core of it filmmakers are artists, even if they arent always seen as such and it seems almost cruel to only expect him to spend his career doing zombie flicks to please you. the "you" not pertaining to anyone of course, but just his fanbase who dont want anything else. Just because i love all of kevin smith's comedies doesnt mean i dont want to see red state go into production.
I'd love to see george work on something new,its a shame message boards are full of "i want him to make films like dawn of the dead till he croacks,lol" so he'll never get the funding for it.:(

krakenslayer
05-Jan-2010, 11:19 PM
Sarge talks about it in one of the 2 "Sarge" videos that were released. My understanding was there were quick, pick up bits that they did on the fly as promo's & not part of them film per se? (can't remember which thread that was in...maybe the interview w/ GAR?)

NOt on Youtube that I could find to embed, but here are the links...the 2nd one features the mentions to Diary in question:

http://www.in.com/videos/watchvideo-survival-of-the-dead-sarge-part-1-of-2-4609529.html

http://www.in.com/videos/watchvideo-survival-of-the-dead-sarge-part-2-of-2-4857207.html

Yeah yeah, I remember those. :thumbsup: But I'm sure someone said the footage of the "stick-up" appears in the actual movie.

MinionZombie
06-Jan-2010, 12:33 PM
Part of a series - as with all of GAR's zed flicks - that's the ideal way to frame it, I think.

Trin
06-Jan-2010, 04:14 PM
It is as much as Dawn is to Night or Day is to Dawn. There is NO carry over between those movies, yet you can still view them as part of a series OR as stand-alone & they work either way.

Now that I think about it, "sequel" might not be the right word per se..."series" MIGHT be a better fit...:rockbrow:
Yeah, part of a series seems a nice compromise. Kinda like Star Trek is called a series and they make movies in any timeframe with completely disparate characters that all are assumed to exist in the same universe. They are connected loosely, with some character crossover when it makes sense.

i think it would be a very sad thing for romero to make nothing but zombie films for the rest of his career. At the core of it filmmakers are artists, even if they arent always seen as such and it seems almost cruel to only expect him to spend his career doing zombie flicks to please you. the "you" not pertaining to anyone of course, but just his fanbase who dont want anything else.
I guess I gott say "boo hoo" to this to a certain extent.

No one is forcing GAR to make zombie movies. He's going where the money is. How many people at one point in their life chose to take a job that's not necessarily their life's love because they needed a paycheck? Answer... all of us. And how many people lost sight of their dreams because they came to rely on that paycheck. Answer... Too many.

Just like every single one of us, if he wants to make a career out of doing what he loves then he's gotta find a way to make what he loves pay the bills. Or he's gotta do it as a hobby. Either way, it's not a matter of someone else handing him the opportunity.

AcesandEights
06-Jan-2010, 04:35 PM
I guess I gott say "boo hoo" to this to a certain extent.

No one is forcing GAR to make zombie movies. He's going where the money is. How many people at one point in their life chose to take a job that's not necessarily their life's love because they needed a paycheck? Answer... all of us. And how many people lost sight of their dreams because they came to rely on that paycheck. Answer... Too many.

Just like every single one of us, if he wants to make a career out of doing what he loves then he's gotta find a way to make what he loves pay the bills. Or he's gotta do it as a hobby. Either way, it's not a matter of someone else handing him the opportunity.

Very true. I agree completely and have stated similarly in the past. I'm not even sure why such an old crutch was even brought into this topic.

rongravy
07-Jan-2010, 06:32 PM
I love reading and watching all the cool stuff on a forum thread that was around wayyy before I was.
I'd love to see something like that. A movie, then a few more that branch out in their own way. Heck, they might even intertwine again at some point. Or have some goal they are all individually trying to reach, and another movie to tie it all up as far as who made it, where they go from there, among other things.
I'd be happy if they'd give George other work, sure, but if I'd my druthers...
I'd have him locked in a room banging away at zombie scripts until I could forcibly make him direct them at gunpoint and whips. Maybe a couple other horror icons. Then make him redo the Resident Evil movies right...