PDA

View Full Version : Atlantis Found?

bassman
20-Feb-2009, 03:25 PM
Google's Google Earth program recently discovered something of some interest in the ocean floor....

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00737/ATLANTISmainNEW_737373a.jpg

It shows a perfect rectangle the size of Wales lying on the bed of the Atlantic Ocean nearly 3½ miles down.

A host of criss-crossing lines, looking like a map of a vast metropolis, are enclosed by the boundary.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2255989.ece

Now all we need is James Cameron, a sub, and the truth will be known....

Trancelikestate
20-Feb-2009, 03:43 PM
wow, if it was real, then i'd say this sure looks like it.

AcesandEights
20-Feb-2009, 03:53 PM
I see you link is from the Sun...:shifty:

But yeah, it sounds interesting and, if real, would beg further, documented investigation.

bassman
20-Feb-2009, 04:01 PM
I see you link is from the Sun...:shifty:

Is the sun not reliable? I don't know. I got the link through a Ghostbusters forum and thought i would share.:lol:

axlish
20-Feb-2009, 05:39 PM
The UK Sun is a normal newspaper, the USA Sun is the one with Batboy on the cover.

EvilNed
20-Feb-2009, 05:44 PM
If Atlantis ever existed, it existed way before the time of building cities in grid-patterns. So I call bull.

Mr.G
20-Feb-2009, 05:58 PM
But wouldn't it be awesome to find something like this? In an age where the world is shrinking and it 'seems' we have discovered all there is to discover, locating another country/continent would be great!

Skippy911sc
20-Feb-2009, 07:02 PM
Now if there was a face like on mars I would get excited...:hyper:

krakenslayer
20-Feb-2009, 07:23 PM
The British Sun (I actually involuntarily typed "shun") is a total idiot's newspaper. It's the kind of publication where the headlines have exclamation marks, every second article is about some celebrity gaffe, and they have topless women on the third page every weekday. It is not a newspaper noted for its journalistic integrity or skill. Note for example the totally tenuous references to a 1970s TV show and the stupid album cover-type painting posing as an "artists impression" giving the the false impression to the semi-illiterate audience (who don't full read the text) that they have discovered temples and statues on the ocean floor. I wouldn't trust this until I saw it published elsewhere as confirmation.

That said, what is interesting (and which hasn't been pick up on by the Sun or many of its readers) is the location of the structure - just beyond Gibraltar, north-west of the Canaries. The ancient Greek philosopher and historian Plato, who was the first to mention Atlantis, described it as being located "in front of the Pillars of Hercules". The Pillars of Hercules is an archaic name for the Strait of Gibraltar. This is almost exactly where this structure appears on the ocean floor...

Food for thought...

darth los
20-Feb-2009, 08:09 PM
If Atlantis ever existed, it existed way before the time of building cities in grid-patterns. So I call bull.

They supposedly were a very advanced society. Who's to say that THEY didn't invent grid patterns? :rockbrow:

:cool:

MikePizzoff
20-Feb-2009, 09:09 PM
When can we move in?

MaximusIncredulous
21-Feb-2009, 11:07 AM
Looks like a big spatula outline to me. Maybe the gods were swatting flies with gusto one day...

Tricky
21-Feb-2009, 11:23 AM
Google have said theres actually nothing there,its just a technological blip relating to how they map out the oceans apparently!

Skippy911sc
21-Feb-2009, 04:01 PM
Google have said theres actually nothing there,its just a technological blip relating to how they map out the oceans apparently!

Looks like the Governments gotten to them also...

What do we do now!!!!

MikePizzoff
21-Feb-2009, 10:36 PM

Looks like the Governments gotten to them also...

Precisely, Skip! There's obviously a government base under there with super-advanced humans/seahorses. It's in a big dome (like all the 70's under-water cartoons).

Tricky
21-Feb-2009, 11:13 PM
Ah so thats where the illuminati base is!i bet its surrounded by sharks with frikkin' laser beams as well :lol:

Mike70
22-Feb-2009, 12:35 AM
the mileage that has been gotten out of a story told by plato in the Timaeus and Critias has never failed to amaze me. personally, i think atlantis was always meant as a sort of moral foil for the athens of plato's day, rather than as a piece of actual history.