PDA

View Full Version : Your pets and zombies?

Debbieangel
20-Feb-2009, 10:07 PM
I am a pet lover and I have quite a few dogs I have never seen anyone say anything about their pets in a zombie situation. What would happen to your beloved pets?
This would be very hard for me, I wouldn't want the zombies to get them and yet I don't want to risk my life either? What do you think .what would you do with your pets?

capncnut
20-Feb-2009, 10:19 PM
I'd be like Max in The Road Warrior and take my four legged friend on the road. It would just be a matter of whether he gets bitten or not and if he did, I'd have to shoot him.

Didn't GAR say in the Land commentary that zombified animals and pets was a subject he was willing to delve into in a future episode?

EvilNed
20-Feb-2009, 10:25 PM
I have cats. They're faster than any zombie could ever hope to be, and they can take care of themselves. My cats would probably survive longer in a zombie infested world than I would. We have a cat-door so they can walk in and out of safety anytime.

deadkrank
20-Feb-2009, 10:38 PM
Speaking of pets. I have always wonderd if there was a pet store inside the mall in Dawn of The Dead? Was there a pet store in The Monroville Mall?
If there was a pet store what became of the poor pets in the store? Well I guess if the mall was abandon and the stores was all closed off,I assume all the pets died of starvation since there was no one there to feed them?
Well anyways I have 2 little dogs a chihuahua and a Min Pin.There both pretty old dogs now.I've had them since 97. They dont act like old dogs thoe.They both still run when they get out in the yard. As for a zombie attack? Not sure what I would do with my 2 little dogs? Of course I dont want them to become breakfast to a zombie. So of course I would try my hardest to protect them. As well as my human family members.
Gush got to love this website. It makes you think what you would do in a end of The World event.

capncnut
20-Feb-2009, 10:41 PM
If there was a pet store what became of the poor pets in the store? Well I guess if the mall was abandon and the stores was all closed off,I assume all the pets died of starvation since there was no one there to feed them?
Actually in the Dawn script there was a pet store with a surviving puppy, which the characters named Adam...

deadkrank
20-Feb-2009, 10:50 PM
Actually in the Dawn script there was a pet store with a surviving puppy, which the characters named Adam...

Ok. Never read the script. Never read the novel version either. I did see the novel version in a used book store once. I was an idiot too as I did not buy it.
Went back for it a few days later and it was gone. Owell.

RustyHicks
21-Feb-2009, 12:13 AM
My Dawn of the Dead novel got waterlogged when our house got flooded a few weeks ago...Dang Plumbing, and it was hardcover too :(

My cats are pretty well independent, they could probably outlast me in a zombie
attack, they're fast, they can squeeze into small holes where zombies can't reach,
they can climb trees so I wouldn't worry about my cats too much, course maybe we'll
all get lucky and the zombies won't bother with the animals like in Yawn04 and we won't
have to worry about them, just ourselves :D

Wyldwraith
21-Feb-2009, 12:55 AM
Hmm,
I'm taking my well-trained Border Collie on the road. Best early-warning system I can have. Plus, if the zombie virus isn't transmissable to animals my beloved pet may very well save my butt from the zombie sneaking up on me from behind. Even if it is he may very well do so, I'd just have to break my heart and put him down afterwards.

It is an interesting question though. I wonder how others would deal with the issue, because our pets ARE important parts of our lives.

Crappingbear
21-Feb-2009, 03:33 AM
The dog goes where I go, you dont leave family behind.

Debbieangel
21-Feb-2009, 09:23 PM
Also my pets are my family I would protect them like I would any other member family. No zombs are gonna get my babies!

MagicMoonMonkey
21-Feb-2009, 11:48 PM
I suppose if the unimaginable happened and the dead did walk, then I would probably have to take the kids with me... har har... sigh...:shifty:

bd2999
22-Feb-2009, 01:01 AM
It sort of depends, dont have a dog right now but the one we had a few years ago was family. I would do all I could to bring her along, just like with everyone else. Maybe not as much effort as you would your immediate family but pets are close friends. They bring complications with them though because most pets would get nervous and give away position at times and be a drain on food too. All that in mind I dont think I could have left her, it would have been harder for me to think I abandoned her to the horde than for her to have gotten me attacked on the road somewhere. At least you can fight that I guess.

I think cats might be able to be better off, generalizing, because they are more independent and would just be fine on their own. Dogs would probably go nearly mad if they are used to companionship and suddenly strange people are trying to get in all the time and they are scared, alone and hungry. I could see them breaking down totally. No perso or mans best friend deserves that fate.

Yojimbo
22-Feb-2009, 10:34 PM
The dog goes where I go, you dont leave family behind.
Spoken like a true dogman. Well said - I am in total agreement.

I have some tropical fish, and likely would not be able to bug out with them, so they are going to have to be dumped into the Los Angeles River (not much of a river, but the best I can do) I have a few birds that will be promptly let loose, and my cats - like an earlier poster stated - will be let loose to fend for themselves and will likely do better in the post apocalypse than I will.

DawnGirl27
23-Feb-2009, 12:39 AM
Have 2 cats and a Malamute - all would come with. They're like family and there's no way I'd leave them behind.

blind2d
23-Feb-2009, 02:29 AM
I love my cats, but... in such an astounding pinch as a zombie apocalypse, I would have to leave them behind. Not much meat, anyway. And cats are good at escaping from shambling corpses, I would imagine, so it would probably be all right.

J0hnnyReb
23-Feb-2009, 02:32 AM
My pets would be with me, i do a TON of errands with my dog and she follows me faithfully without a lead. So I know she would always stick close enough by where I can grab her quickly and keep her out of danger. And if we were in survival mode I would train her to sent out the dead and bark when they were near.

SRP76
23-Feb-2009, 06:52 AM
Dogs, cats, dogs, cats...I want to see someone running down the street with a fishtank under their arm.

Thorn
23-Feb-2009, 01:34 PM
My wife took the cats with her when she and I split up 6 months ago, leaving my daughter and I with a dwarf hamster at my place. I do not mean to sound mean, or unattached here but I have not really "bonded" with him and I would not be taking him with me I do not think. Not that I wouldn't want to, I just do not think at "that moment" of leaving my entire life behind to face the horrors of the dead walking that a hamster would much spring to mind.

My daughter yes, getting to my parents to try and help them yes, maybe even getting to the estranged wife's place to see if the cats were okay (yes I said cats, I could check on her too while I was there I GUESS).

Honestly though his tank is cumbersome and would be awkward to carry, and I have no idea about where I would be keeping him and getting food for him. Plus New York is cold and if we had to survive outdoors I do not think he would do very well for very long.

Yojimbo
23-Feb-2009, 07:16 PM
maybe even getting to the estranged wife's place to see if the cats were okay (yes I said cats, I could check on her too while I was there I GUESS).

Hilarious!
Ouch, though.

Thorn
24-Feb-2009, 03:51 PM
She is as cold as a zombie with a heart that is just as dead. In fact minus the rot and functioning brain (the zombies have one) there are a lot of similarities.

Yojimbo
25-Feb-2009, 10:36 PM
She is as cold as a zombie with a heart that is just as dead. In fact minus the rot and functioning brain (the zombies have one) there are a lot of similarities.
Sorry to hear that, brother Thorn. But you seem a decent fellow, so I have little doubt you will find a decent woman who will kick the bad memories of your ghoulish ex-wife right out of your skull.

Thorn
26-Feb-2009, 01:01 PM
Sorry to hear that, brother Thorn. But you seem a decent fellow, so I have little doubt you will find a decent woman who will kick the bad memories of your ghoulish ex-wife right out of your skull.

Thanks Yoji, much appreciated. It is all good. I am a ton happier now actually, I mean I have my moments. I also have a lot more money (she isn't around to spend it), piece of mind, and there is no stress and tension around me 24/7.

I think in the end it is a good thing.

I am also all for a non-ghoulish replacement, if any of you warm blooded internet mama sitas' are looking for a zombie obsessed father of a 7 year old with a hamster and an internet addiction. I live in NY and love long walks in circles in my room, stockpiling cans for the inevitable zombie holocaust, watching horror films, reading, cleaning and preparing my survival gear, and pr0n.

sammylou
01-Mar-2009, 07:07 PM
I have two dogs, and I really like them, but I'd put myself and my survival group before them. I have a standard poodle (no, she isn't done up with a goofy haircut) that's really smart and could fend for herself, then a little Maltipoo (maltese and a poodle) that really... simple, I guess is a nice way to say it. I'm not sure how long she'd last. It would be sad to lose my pets, but in a world where the dead walk, it be relatively low on my priority list.