PDA

View Full Version : To Starve or Not to Starve?

Debbieangel
20-Feb-2009, 10:39 PM
You are out of food and all that is left is the zombie that you just killed. Would you fry it up like a Colonel Sanders Chicken and eat it or starve?
Do you take the risk of infecting yourself?
Will cooking it kill the virus? What would you do?

RustyHicks
21-Feb-2009, 12:16 AM
I would starve to death first..of course I don't know if I
would have the stomach to eat a zombie, no matter how well
Bar-b-que it is....

Wyldwraith
21-Feb-2009, 12:49 AM
Starve,
You could burn that flesh to black carbon and not render it sterile. Now, would I eat an uninfected corpse if faced with starvation? Yes.

Some things are more important than survival. I am NOT dying in the grip of the zombie pathogen because I was dumb enough to EAT A ZOMBIE. No way am I explaining that decision to the angel of death.

So, how 'bout the rest of you? Would you turn cannibal and eat an uninfected corpse if starvation was imminent?

capncnut
21-Feb-2009, 01:34 AM
So, how 'bout the rest of you? Would you turn cannibal and eat an uninfected corpse if starvation was imminent?
Quite easily. I may even eat the zombie, depending on how long I felt my starvation could take me. I'm gonna die anyways so why not go out with a phat juicy steak?

Crappingbear
21-Feb-2009, 03:35 AM
funny how things come full circle. Years ago I advocated turning the tables on zombies and eating them. We even came up with recipes to kill the funk. :) Thats years ago in the old forum.

As I recall that was also about the time of the greased pig zom defense. Yup, you strip and grease up and just walk between them as they slide off of you unable to grab a hold. I'm pretty sure some of those old threads were alcohol fueled by all involved.

MoonSylver
21-Feb-2009, 04:22 AM
I'm pretty sure some of those old threads were alcohol fueled by all involved.

Booze powered posts on HPOTD...surely you jest. I know I have NEVER posted whist so drunk I had to type the same word several times...:p:lol:

SRP76
21-Feb-2009, 04:27 AM
You are out of food and all that is left is the zombie that you just killed. Would you fry it up like a Colonel Sanders Chicken and eat it or starve?
Do you take the risk of infecting yourself?
Will cooking it kill the virus? What would you do?

Hell yes, I'd eat some zombie! Cook it up thoroughly, it'll taste like porkchops.

sandrock74
21-Feb-2009, 06:02 AM
No way I would eat a zombie. I'd just eat a bullet instead.

Crappingbear
21-Feb-2009, 07:50 AM
Old zoms are essentially air dried beef ala jerky or proscuitto with a delicate flavor. New zoms need to be cured in a salt brine or coating to kill off the wigglys. Anyone who has had a Kentucky country ham can attest that a zom can be any more rotten that that. I'd also do a corned beef brine that would kill and pickle the meat to make it safe. They wanna eat me? I'll eat them first.

EvilNed
21-Feb-2009, 09:24 AM
Yeah, I'd eat it. Cook it up and make it sterile first. Then salt it up and dry it out, like they do with the sharks on iceland. After that? Well, it'd taste like shit but I'd at least get food.

MaximusIncredulous
21-Feb-2009, 10:58 AM
I would eat the zombie, provided I had plenty of spices on hand and some bread. The rugby kids stuck on the Andes, back in the early 70s, ate rotted human flesh and reported it tasted like cheese.

Trencher
21-Feb-2009, 12:53 PM
:annoyed:
At the end of this thread http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?t=12003
I and others try to explain in some lenght that there is no spice or process that can turn rotten meat edible. I understand that the thought of getting back on top of the foodchain again is attractive. But its not an realistic option. Sure you might be driven mad by hunger and try but you will just starve to death while you puke.

Philly_SWAT
21-Feb-2009, 06:17 PM
I think that barring any firm scientific knowledge that eating a zed would NOT cause the eater to become infected, or have other problems (and it is unlikely that such knowledge would come about) then I would not eat a zombie. Unless I was in an endless parking lot with nothing but concrete around, I would eat anything else other than a zombie, even if it was just sticks and leaves, although under normal circumstances, you can find something better to eat than sticks.

Danny
21-Feb-2009, 06:50 PM
eat rotten meat form a long dead corpse?, no, id rather risk looking for food.

Debbieangel
21-Feb-2009, 09:10 PM
I would eat grass rather eat a zomb, even choke cherries sound better than zomb meat!!
Really though if you are in the woods there are lots of different barks,berries, sweet grass you could eat that would keep you alive for awhile. If you know what kinds to eat that is,now the choke cherries would be a no no. lol
In the city I would rather risk going in garbage cans to find food thrown away in nearby restaurants.
No zomb meat for me!

bd2999
22-Feb-2009, 01:04 AM
Eating zombie flesh might end up killing you anyway. And it would likely be more painful.

Yojimbo
22-Feb-2009, 10:25 PM
At the end of this thread http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?t=12003
I and others try to explain in some lenght that there is no spice or process that can turn rotten meat edible. I understand that the thought of getting back on top of the foodchain again is attractive. But its not an realistic option. Sure you might be driven mad by hunger and try but you will just starve to death while you puke.
I remember that thread, and it was there that Trencher spoke some very sound words of widsom, as he does here. Likely one would be better off eating bugs and worms than they would eating rotting flesh of any kind, let alone the decayed corpse of a zombie, especially considering the types of pathogens that a rotting zombie might harbor.

Anyways, as long as potable water is avaliable, a person can go for quite a while without eating before they will starve to death. And in the USA, where the majority of folks are overweight to begin with, people are likely to be able to function primarily on their own body's fat reserve for an even longer period of time. In a crisis I would rather be hungry and scavaging around for a few morsels of food than risk making myself vunerable because I am doubled over with severe stomach cramps and puking my guts out.

lullubelle
22-Feb-2009, 11:51 PM
I would starve, I mean becoming infected does not sound like a good idea, I mean has it ever been questioned or brought up the issue of getting infected by eating a zombie, anyone knows?:confused:

Thorn
23-Feb-2009, 01:45 PM

^ This

I think that barring any firm scientific knowledge that eating a zed would NOT cause the eater to become infected, or have other problems (and it is unlikely that such knowledge would come about) then I would not eat a zombie. Unless I was in an endless parking lot with nothing but concrete around, I would eat anything else other than a zombie, even if it was just sticks and leaves, although under normal circumstances, you can find something better to eat than sticks.

and this ^

I would eat grass rather eat a zomb, even choke cherries sound better than zomb meat!!
Really though if you are in the woods there are lots of different barks,berries, sweet grass you could eat that would keep you alive for awhile. If you know what kinds to eat that is,now the choke cherries would be a no no. lol
In the city I would rather risk going in garbage cans to find food thrown away in nearby restaurants.
No zomb meat for me!

...oh and this ^

Wyldwraith
24-Feb-2009, 03:26 AM
As usual you said it best Thorn,
Zombie meat = Inedible. Also = Excellent way to infect the stupid a good distance into the dead rising from the sounds of things here ;)

SRP76
24-Feb-2009, 03:50 AM
You people have no sense of adventure.

"The meat HAS to be rotten, infected, spoiled, putrid, etc., because that's the way it's always been in this world".

Well, zombies haven't always walked around taking bites out of people, either. If that's going on, you can throw all your rules out the window. You don't know zombie is bad for you until you try it.

sandrock74
24-Feb-2009, 05:03 AM
You people have no sense of adventure.

"The meat HAS to be rotten, infected, spoiled, putrid, etc., because that's the way it's always been in this world".

Well, zombies haven't always walked around taking bites out of people, either. If that's going on, you can throw all your rules out the window. You don't know zombie is bad for you until you try it.

After you my friend!

Thorn
24-Feb-2009, 03:04 PM
As usual you said it best Thorn,
Zombie meat = Inedible. Also = Excellent way to infect the stupid a good distance into the dead rising from the sounds of things here ;)

Thanks brother, I really appreciate that.

I have researched food borne illness at length to understand them and while I will definitely agree that the zombie walking around might not be held to the same rules as normal rotting flesh (I will concede it might not be as vulnerable to viruses perhaps as it is impossible to know since George has never said) I would not take the chance, and everything we do know SCREAMS do not put the rotting, worm infested, bloated, blood soaked, filthy, inset covered flesh of reanimated humans into your mouth. Even if you clean it up real nice first and add a sprig of dill for garnish.

There are somethings sauce won't hide.

AcesandEights
24-Feb-2009, 03:34 PM
As disheartened as I was to see this topic come up again, I am very happy to see how many people realize eating rotten, infected meat is sheer, utter lunacy of the highest, gibbering caliber. :)