PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Stephen King movie

RustyHicks
20-Feb-2009, 11:44 PM
This might have been done before, if so sorry to dredge it all up again:hyper::lol:
So what is your favorite King movie, which do you think is his best and which do you think hasn't been butchered.
I didn't include all his movies in the poll, but vote for other and tell us what it is

So far mine is the original Shining ( I know Kubrick actually took the story in a different direction, but it still is a hell of a ride, but to date the Shining
TV Miniseries is just as powerful and holds true to the book.
Among my other favorites

Carrie
Misery (Bates was great in this)
Creepshow
Pet Semetary
and The stand

capncnut
20-Feb-2009, 11:52 PM
Salem's Lot. :cool:

Christine would have to be a close second but I do love The Running Man for the sheer cheese factor alone. I had no idea Starsky directed that movie.

I do hope Cell is made into a movie soon...

Craig
21-Feb-2009, 12:06 AM
I have a few Stephen King based films, all of them pretty good. The Shining, Stand By Me, Misery and Cujo are the ones I've watched most and I think out of all of them Misery might have to be my favourite.

Mr.G
21-Feb-2009, 12:21 AM
The Shawshank Redemption! End of discussion! :)

Mike70
21-Feb-2009, 12:55 AM
the 79 version of 'salem's lot would get my vote. great flick and it scared the pogees out of me when i was 9.

clanglee
21-Feb-2009, 07:59 AM
Creepshow on this list. Otherwise it would probably be Shawshank.

Tricky
21-Feb-2009, 09:11 AM
"IT" used to scare the hell out of me in my early teens,although the book is far better & creepier!the TV series of the shining was good as is misery,pet sematary,shawshank,& the stand (barring the crap ending)

I'd like to see Cell & Duma Key made into films, and if anyone has read his collection of short stories "just after sunset", there is a story in there called 'N' which would be very good :)

EvilNed
21-Feb-2009, 09:11 AM
Right now it's probably The Mist. But I forgot about Shawshank... That one is great.

Tricky
21-Feb-2009, 10:29 AM
I forgot about maximum overdrive too!its an absolutely crap cheesy film,yet strangely enjoyable to watch! :D

Craig
21-Feb-2009, 12:30 PM
How the hell could I forget Shawshank and The Green Mile? When someone posts a poll with only horror films on you (at least I) tend to forget he wrote those as well :p

Mine would probably have to Shawshank then.

Mr.G
21-Feb-2009, 02:14 PM
I'd like to see Cell & Duma Key made into films, and if anyone has read his collection of short stories "just after sunset", there is a story in there called 'N' which would be very good :)

I thought I heard Eli Roth was directing The Cell...not sure if that is good or bad.

fartpants
21-Feb-2009, 02:46 PM
but the cell book sucked big time

Skippy911sc
21-Feb-2009, 03:58 PM

Yes this movie then Stand By Me...AKA "The Body"

capncnut
21-Feb-2009, 04:30 PM
I forgot about maximum overdrive too!its an absolutely crap cheesy film,yet strangely enjoyable to watch! :D
Three reasons why Maximum Overdrive kicks ass:

1. The chick with the dark hair rocks.
2. The truck with the goblin face rocks.
3. The soundtrack by AC/DC rocks!

Purge
21-Feb-2009, 04:56 PM
Other--The Shining. That and Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer are my all-time faves.

Mr.G
21-Feb-2009, 06:52 PM
That and Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer are my all-time faves.

I had no idea that was a King movie.:stunned:

MikePizzoff
21-Feb-2009, 10:34 PM
Other: IT

I'm really a sucker for all Stephen King adaption films. I'm even a huge fan of The Langoliers. Yeah, I said it.

RustyHicks
21-Feb-2009, 10:52 PM
Three reasons why Maximum Overdrive kicks ass:

1. The chick with the dark hair rocks.
2. The truck with the goblin face rocks.
3. The soundtrack by AC/DC rocks!

Yep, Maximum Overdrive may be cheesy but it still is great, they did a remake of it awhile back called, 'The Trucks" it was good but I still liked the old B movie with AC/DC on the soundtrack, plus the annoying little pudgy,
newly wed lady in the movie, is actually Yeardly Smith the voice of Lisa Simpson lol

There are a lot of great movies, Stand by me, I loved the Green Mile and
Redemption. I just watched the Mist last night and I gotta say, it turned out much better than I had expected and just made my list of great movies.

The all time worst King movie for me was DreamCatcher....:mad::mad::rant:

I actually liked the Langoliers movie, it was pretty good for a TV movie.
I wouldn't mind seeing his short story "The Libriarian" from the Four past midnight collection, made into a movie, it would be creepy

zombie04
22-Feb-2009, 02:58 AM
The all time worst King movie for me was DreamCatcher....:mad::mad::rant:

"Fuck me Freddy" was about the only thing I took away from DreamCatcher. Never had I seen a bigger waste of Stephen King or Jason Lee.

But on the subject of Maximum Overdrive...brilliant. That's one movie my friends and I watch once a year with a couple of six-packs at hand. Funny thing is we always double-feature it with Breakfast Club:rockbrow:

DawnGirl27
23-Feb-2009, 01:06 AM
Loved Langoliers, too. Stand By Me a great movie, as is Shawshank. Would like to see Cell made by someone who would do the story justice, but these days, that seems a rare occurence. :(

blind2d
23-Feb-2009, 02:27 AM
Dreamcatcher wasn't so bad... (Duddits!)
It was tough between Creepshow, Misery, and Christine, but ultimately I had to give it to the Fury. Evil female hot rods make me... well, hot.

Mike70
23-Feb-2009, 04:05 PM
i like storm of the century and rose red quite a bit too. i tend to put storm of the century on in july or aug when it's like 95 F with 70% humidity, it makes everything, even the AC, seem cooler.

bassman
23-Feb-2009, 04:35 PM
Shawshank and The Shining

Neil
23-Feb-2009, 05:03 PM
No 'The Dead Zone'?

Loved Langoliers, too. Stand By Me a great movie, as is Shawshank. Would like to see Cell made by someone who would do the story justice, but these days, that seems a rare occurence. :(

Seemingly like many of Kings stories, the ending of Cell was very weak :(

Mike70
23-Feb-2009, 06:11 PM
No 'The Dead Zone'?

ugh. to my shame i'd forgotten about that gem. christopher walken's acting in that movie is outstanding and might just be, along with kathy bates in misery, one of the better performances in any king movie.

Mr.G
23-Feb-2009, 06:49 PM
ugh. to my shame i'd forgotten about that gem. christopher walken's acting in that movie is outstanding and might just be, along with kathy bates in misery, one of the better performances in any king movie.

Bates was great in Dolores Claiborne too....

Mike70
23-Feb-2009, 07:44 PM
Bates was great in Dolores Claiborne too....

that is one king movie that has always escaped me. i've meant to sit down and watch it about a million times but something always comes up and i forget about it, until the next time that i mean to sit down and watch it rolls around.

we need a thread for worst stephen king movie.

SRP76
24-Feb-2009, 04:27 AM
The Langoliers. Almost spot-on as far as following the novella. And yes, I like it more than Shawshank Redemption.

I just want to see The Eyes of the Dragon. Why the FUCK has nobody made this movie?! They've made (and remade, and remade the remakes of) everything else that's ever been written; why dodge this one for 25 years?!

DjfunkmasterG
24-Feb-2009, 01:43 PM

For non horror, Yes I agree 100%.

blind2d
25-Feb-2009, 02:41 AM
I love Eyes of the Dragon! It would be much, much more awesomer than Eragon, that's for bloody sure. Did anyone see that piece of crap? Looked like a Sci-fi channel movie... a bad one. Put me to sleep.

MikePizzoff
12-Mar-2009, 02:57 AM
What about The Running Man? I love that flick.

Danny
12-Mar-2009, 03:38 AM
Other - the green mile, shawshanks great, but this is just one of my favorite movies, because ive yet to see a person, no matter how heartless a bastard they are, not be affected by john coffeys story and its end.

-but storm of the century rocked too.

clanglee
12-Mar-2009, 03:40 AM
I just want to see The Eyes of the Dragon. Why the FUCK has nobody made this movie?! They've made (and remade, and remade the remakes of) everything else that's ever been written; why dodge this one for 25 years?!

Hell Yeah!! Been waiting for that for YEARS!!! I would love to see Eye's of the Dragon done, almost as much as I would like to see The Talisman.

I had no idea that was a King movie.:stunned:

It's not

but the cell book sucked big time

I wouldn't say that. The beginning was AWESOME. It just sucked at the end.

Seemingly like many of Kings stories, the ending of Cell was very weak :(

Completely agree!!

MaximusIncredulous
12-Mar-2009, 07:08 AM
79's Salem's Lot. Still one of the best vampire flicks especially for a made for TV movie. Creepshow runs a close second.

For laughs, Firestarter still cracks me up now and then.

SRP76
12-Mar-2009, 07:28 AM
Hell Yeah!! Been waiting for that for YEARS!!! I would love to see Eye's of the Dragon done, almost as much as I would like to see The Talisman.

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/clinteastwood1.jpg

Anders Peyna (the old, hard-assed Judge-General)? Hell, yeah...

The rest of the casting will be bit harder.

clanglee
17-Mar-2009, 01:41 AM
I always thought Brad Dourif would make a great Flagg

http://www.fstage.com/szineszkepek/20081120083016.jpg

Expecially after seeing him in TLOTR

http://www.braddourif.com/brad-dourif.jpg

blind2d
17-Mar-2009, 01:44 AM
Yeah, totally!
Isn't The Running Man technically a Richard Bachman movie?

ProfessorChaos
17-Mar-2009, 02:36 AM
i'd have to go with other. although kubrick did a lot of fiddling with it, the shining is one of the best horror films of all time.

if i was forced to pick one from the list, though, it'd be a toss-up between carrie and pet semetary.

clanglee
30-Jun-2009, 12:47 AM
Hmmm. . .looks like The Talisman is finally getting made!!!!!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0384580/

Cody
30-Jun-2009, 01:23 AM
silver bullet baby

capncnut
30-Jun-2009, 08:03 AM
Fave book and film:

Oooh is it Salems Lot or Christine, I can't decide.

Hellsing, do me a favour, pal.

Tricky
30-Jun-2009, 08:39 AM
Fave book and film:

Im reading Salems Lot at the moment, just got to the bit where Danny Glick dropped dead in the hospital, ive seen the film/mini series several times so thought i'd give the book a go too!Im a big king fan, i love how most of his stories are creepy without being outright slasher style horror

clanglee
30-Jun-2009, 10:02 AM
Salems Lot is a great book. My favorite vampire book of all time. I love how King always has this huge cast of characters and he actually fleshes them all out. No two dimensional characters in his stories.

Danny
30-Jun-2009, 11:52 AM
Fave book and film:

christine man, just because everybody knows a guy who turned into a dick when they got there first car.

capncnut
30-Jun-2009, 05:57 PM
Im reading Salems Lot at the moment, just got to the bit where Danny Glick dropped dead in the hospital, ive seen the film/mini series several times so thought i'd give the book a go too!
When you're done reading that, you should pick up a copy of King's Night Shift. There are two stories in there which act as a prequel and sequel to Salem's Lot, Jarusalem's Lot and One For The Road. Both are quite good, as it happens.

Also, isn't Salem's Lot linked to one of the Dark Tower episodes?

Salems Lot is a great book. My favorite vampire book of all time. I love how King always has this huge cast of characters and he actually fleshes them all out. No two dimensional characters in his stories.
How he manages to cram all those characters and their backgrounds over 400 pages is quite amazing.

christine man, just because everybody knows a guy who turned into a dick when they got there first car.
Christine is an awesome piece of work, let down only by an incoherent explanation for Christine's behaviour. At first we are led to believe that the car is possessed and falls in love with Arnie, but later it turns out to be the spirit of Roland LeBay driving the car. I don't know if I read it wrong or what but maybe I'll check it out again.

MoonSylver
30-Jun-2009, 10:17 PM
Christine is an awesome piece of work, let down only by an incoherent explanation for Christine's behaviour. At first we are led to believe that the car is possessed and falls in love with Arnie, but later it turns out to be the spirit of Roland LeBay driving the car. I don't know if I read it wrong or what but maybe I'll check it out again.

Yep. Rare instance where the movie is better IMO. I like how in the movie the premise is never 100% explained, other than some things are just born bad as it were.

Danny
30-Jun-2009, 10:35 PM
Also, isn't Salem's Lot linked to one of the Dark Tower episodes?

1: the last few actually, but wont spoil it as that series is one i dearly love and it brings all kings works together and should be read, spoiler free, by every king fan.

2: I believe christine had no will of its own, it was a medium, an inanimate object with so much raw emotion poured into it that it became animated by the sheer force of it. lebay was the closest to it out of all so it stands to reason after he died that his spirit grounded to the car that sort of fed off each others raw emotion as a sort of power to fuel them.

wayzim
04-Jul-2009, 01:26 AM
Technically, Jerusalem's Lot was more an homage to Lovecraft than a prequel to his vampire novel but the other one was a great bit of nasty, letting us in on certain happenings after Ben Mears torched The Lot.

Kinda lost track of King after Storm of The Century. I'd love to see Survivor Type (also in Skeleton Crew ) done as part of an anthology series. It was classic Tales From The Crypt style writing. And if you like King describing his own influences growing up, read Danse Macabre.

Wayne Z

capncnut
04-Jul-2009, 01:34 AM
I'd love to see Survivor Type (also in Skeleton Crew ) done as part of an anthology series. It was classic Tales From The Crypt style writing.
This was the first thing I ever read by King, when my mother read Skeleton Crew and suggested I should read it, as everything I watched had something to do with flesheating. :D

I musta been... um, thirteen.

I have always hoped that someone would film this as part of a horror anthology but I understand it would probably be quite a difficult story to translate to screen.

MoonSylver
04-Jul-2009, 04:09 AM
And if you like King describing his own influences growing up, read Danse Macabre.

Love that book. Really gets me to thinking about horror. Haven't read it in a while. Should dig it up for a re-read.

Rottedfreak
04-Jul-2009, 06:41 AM
The Shining though Maximum Overdrive was a blast.