PDA

View Full Version : Sea lamprey--one of the creepiest animals ever.

Purge
21-Feb-2009, 07:15 PM
jYBesqhG8bE&feature=related

Look at those jaws. :blood::confused:

krakenslayer
21-Feb-2009, 07:41 PM
Are those the same as hagfish? I saw a TV documentary about them and they really are disgusting. They release mucous that turns sea water into slime. There were fisherman trying to pull them out of their nets and it looked like they were lifting worms out of pools of snot.

3pidemiC
21-Feb-2009, 09:41 PM
Yikes.

slickwilly13
21-Feb-2009, 10:04 PM
Are those the same as hagfish?

They are 2 diffrent animals with similar physical features. I also read lampreys are a popular food in Europe.

Crappingbear
22-Feb-2009, 10:09 AM
Its just a big leech. Sea lamprays primarily such onto sharks and feed off of their tidbits(remora). The scariest stuff are those tiny Amazonian spiked catfish that swim up your hoo hoo and lodge in there.

MaximusIncredulous
22-Feb-2009, 10:25 AM
Candiru (Willie Fish):
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eSLKZzuLC00&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eSLKZzuLC00&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I'm definitely taking "pissing in the Amazon" off my to do list.

krakenslayer
22-Feb-2009, 10:51 AM
Its just a big leech. Sea lamprays primarily such onto sharks and feed off of their tidbits(remora). .

Leeches are worms, and as such, freak me out a whole lot more (I have a pretty bad worm phobia) than lampreys which are related to fish and eels. But you are right, they pretty much do the same job. :hurl:

As for the willy fish, I saw the documentary on them a while back and was like: :stunned: They're attracted to the ammonia in urine (it's similar to the chemical secreted by fish gills which they normally feed on) so if you ever decide to pee in the amazon, stand well back as they can apparently jump right up your stream and into your... erm... pee hole. :eek: