PDA

View Full Version : worst stephen king movie...

Mike70
23-Feb-2009, 07:49 PM
as a corollary to the favorite king movie thread we should have one dedicated to the cinematic turds that have been taken directly from or based on king's work.

no poll or anything just throw out the king films you think suck goat balls.

there are a few movies that come right to mind:

the lawnmower man - hideously bad and has just about nothing to do with king short story.

the mangler- a fucking ridiculously horrid movie.

a return to salem's lot - one of the worst movies with a relatively big name star in it ever. this one falls under the "based on" heading.

any of the children of the corn sequels.

krakenslayer
23-Feb-2009, 08:22 PM
Trucks.

Faaar and away, the winner in my book.

I loved the short story it was based on too.

slickwilly13
23-Feb-2009, 10:35 PM
Trucks? Is that what Maximum Overdrive is called in Europe?

Graveyard Shift was so-so. Didn't care for Thinner. Since we are throwing in sequels. Pet Cemetery 2

krakenslayer
23-Feb-2009, 10:37 PM
Trucks? Is that what Maximum Overdrive is called in Europe?

Graveyard Shift was so-so. Didn't care for Thinner. Since we are throwing in sequels. Pet Cemetery 2

Nope, Trucks was another movie based on the same story, but far, far inferior to Emilio Estefez one: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120380/

MikePizzoff
23-Feb-2009, 11:07 PM
I loved The Lawnmower Man when I was really young. I doubt I'd be able to sit through more than 15 minutes of it now.

I still like Pet Cemetery 2, actually.

Hmm, I guess I'll have to say Thinner. However, there are quite a few Stephen King films I have yet to see.

SRP76
24-Feb-2009, 04:23 AM
The Tommyknockers. My second-favorite book, and they butchered it! It pretty much didn't have a damn thing to do with the original (awesome) story.

DjfunkmasterG
24-Feb-2009, 01:42 PM
The Langoliers for me

capncnut
25-Feb-2009, 07:58 AM
I thought Sleepwalkers was utter shite. :dead:

mista_mo
25-Feb-2009, 10:01 AM
tommy knockers for the same reason that p-diggs said...

In fact, i am reading the book right now....really fucking awesome read.

Mike70
25-Feb-2009, 12:45 PM

ugh. calling that movie utter shite is an insult to the entire utter shite movie community. :cool: a separate level of shiteitude (think i just invented a word) is needed to describe things like sleepwalkers.

PJoseph
26-Feb-2009, 03:50 AM
They play Trucks a lot on Chiller. It's mostly just boring.

pJ

deadkrank
10-Mar-2009, 05:15 PM
The Tommyknockers. My second-favorite book, and they butchered it! It pretty much didn't have a damn thing to do with the original (awesome) story.

Agreed. Loved the book,but hated The miniseries version.
I realy have not been a big fan of The Mini Series of Stephen King's work. The only one I thought was great was It.
The Stand was pretty good too.

bassman
10-Mar-2009, 05:20 PM
They play Trucks a lot on Chiller. It's mostly just boring.

pJ

That's a guilty pleasure of mine. It sucks...but I enjoy it.:shifty:

Chiller is a pretty cool channel sometimes, though...

MaximusIncredulous
12-Mar-2009, 07:10 AM
Firestarter. Good for laughs though.

AcesandEights
12-Mar-2009, 02:07 PM

I did, however, realllly fancy the girl from Sleepwalkers at the time...

http://www.madchenamick.net/malayout/amickface.jpg

So, for some of us it might not be without some redeeming qualities.

Skippy911sc
12-Mar-2009, 02:15 PM
I saw a movie a LOOOOOOONG time ago called Boogeyman that was based on a King short story...Now that movie really sucked! That made some of the ones mentioned above look like oscar award material. I am not talking about The new Boogeyman movie(s), this was old, about an abusive father and husband that meets his fate at the hands of the boogeyman.

Trancelikestate
12-Mar-2009, 04:50 PM
although tommyknockers is boring as hell sleepwalkers takes the cake for me. if i'm 10 years old and i hated it, it's bad.

Exatreides
12-Mar-2009, 04:54 PM
Yeah, I gota say sleep walkers takes the cake.

wayzim
12-Mar-2009, 06:04 PM
Yeah, I gota say sleep walkers takes the cake.

It never really made sense thematically, and even as an excuse to pick up a Paycheck, it was such a waste of Alice Krige's talent. And just what was going on with Brian Krause (later to be known as Holly Comb's whitelighter beau on Charmed.) and his amazing T-1000 shape shifting car.
Not bad enough to be fun, just bad.
On the plus, Madchen Amick was nice eye candy and made for a plucky heroine.

Wayne Z

clanglee
12-Mar-2009, 08:24 PM
I did, however, realllly fancy the girl from Sleepwalkers at the time...

http://www.madchenamick.net/malayout/amickface.jpg

So, for some of us it might not be without some redeeming qualities.

MMmmmmmm. . .Madchen Amick. . . .hated the movie though.

I saw a movie a LOOOOOOONG time ago called Boogeyman that was based on a King short story...Now that movie really sucked! That made some of the ones mentioned above look like oscar award material. I am not talking about The new Boogeyman movie(s), this was old, about an abusive father and husband that meets his fate at the hands of the boogeyman.

That movie has NOTHING to do with the Steven King short story. Just shares a name.

Skippy911sc
13-Mar-2009, 02:46 PM
MMmmmmmm. . .Madchen Amick. . . .hated the movie though.

That movie has NOTHING to do with the Steven King short story. Just shares a name.

Actually it was based on Kings short...I am not talking about the newer movie this one is from the 80's. It doesn't matter it was BAD!

clanglee
13-Mar-2009, 09:02 PM
Actually it was based on Kings short...I am not talking about the newer movie this one is from the 80's. It doesn't matter it was BAD!

Yeah, no. . I know the movie you are talking about. Saw it in a drive in when I was a kid.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080464/

It was indeed a horrible movie. It has a special place in my psyche because of it's disturbing beginning.

But. . . it has no affiliation with King's short story. I believe there was a short tv version of the short story, but I can't quite remember.

Ahhh here it is. . .
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112558/

Skippy911sc
16-Mar-2009, 02:59 PM
Yes this is the one...I had the VHS tape of it...Terrible!!! and written by King??? WTF

Yojimbo
16-Mar-2009, 06:41 PM
The Langoliers for me
Like DJ, I say Langoliers - pretty stinky. But I have not had the privilege of seeing a lot of the other titles mentioned here, so maybe there is a stinkier one out there that I haven't hit up yet.

clanglee
16-Mar-2009, 07:35 PM
Yes this is the one...I had the VHS tape of it...Terrible!!! and written by King??? WTF

Yeah, from what I remember of it it was a low budget, badly acted student looking, short film.

Wooley
21-Mar-2009, 05:35 AM
Worst King Adaptions-The Running Man and The Lawnmower Man. The Lawnmower Man shares nothing in common with the source material besides title and a guy gets killed with a mower, The Running Man goes from a kind of Blade Runner type dystopian future to American Gladiators, who kill the contestants. The ending to King's novel had a They Live type ending and turns out, a bit prophetic. The movie had Ah-nold in spandex.

blind2d
23-Mar-2009, 01:44 AM
Worst King Adaptions-The Running Man and The Lawnmower Man. The Lawnmower Man shares nothing in common with the source material besides title and a guy gets killed with a mower, The Running Man goes from a kind of Blade Runner type dystopian future to American Gladiators, who kill the contestants. The ending to King's novel had a They Live type ending and turns out, a bit prophetic. The movie had Ah-nold in spandex.

They Live is such a great movie! (Just watched it) The worst thing was the catchphrases, though... Arnold, c'mon.... can't remember 'em now, but they was awful, child. Great read, passable film.

Exatreides
23-Mar-2009, 05:16 AM
Bothing endings to the "The Stand" and "IT" Were pretty weak compared to how strong the rest of the mini series had been.