PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping?

Debbieangel
24-Feb-2009, 07:48 PM
As I was going to sleep last night I got to thinking... besides that I need a life. lol
In a zombie outbreak how in the world would you be able to sleep?
I have seen some people say they would go for it out on the road alone..how could you safely sleep, in a tree? You might wake up to a bunch of zombies circling around the tree.
If you were in a group you better make sure you can trust everyone that they wouldn't let you stranded sleeping and waking up with a zombie or two taking a gnaw on your leg.
I am saying all of this cause I noticed I am a heavy sleeper and we all need sleep.
In a zombie outbreak you may be able to go a few days without sleep but sometime you are gonna break down and have to sleep and when you do its going to be an exhausted sleep. You body has to have a certain amount of rest.
So, what are your ideas on sleeping when zombies are around?

bassman
24-Feb-2009, 07:50 PM
This is another reason I would stay at home. Knock out the front and back porch stairs and I would be okay. Hopefully sleeping well. With a gun beside me, of course....

Mike70
24-Feb-2009, 07:56 PM
As I was going to sleep last night I got to thinking... besides that I need a life. lol
In a zombie outbreak how in the world would you be able to sleep?
I have seen some people say they would go for it out on the road alone..how could you safely sleep, in a tree? You might wake up to a bunch of zombies circling around the tree.
If you were in a group you better make sure you can trust everyone that they wouldn't let you stranded sleeping and waking up with a zombie or two taking a gnaw on your leg.
I am saying all of this cause I noticed I am a heavy sleeper and we all need sleep.
In a zombie outbreak you may be able to go a few days without sleep but sometime you are gonna break down and have to sleep and when you do its going to be an exhausted sleep. You body has to have a certain amount of rest.
So, what are your ideas on sleeping when zombies are around?

i'd most likely be with a group of people, so a couple of people (or one depending on the size of the group) would stand watch while everyone else sleeps. pick some place relatively high up on hill or a ridge (not on the very top though) so you have decent visibility, no open flames or flashlights at night to draw attention to the group, bed down and go from there.

i say i'd be in a group because i think a person's chances of surviving alone in something like a zombie outbreak would be about as great as my chances of jumping off the carew tower and coming in for a soft landing.

that said, i live out in the middle of nowhere. i'd probably remain close to home for a bit and see how the zombie population developed.

bassman
24-Feb-2009, 08:01 PM
Mike...no fire? How would you stay warm?

SRP76
24-Feb-2009, 08:18 PM
You're just as likely to get your house surrounded as get a tree surrounded. Either way, you get eaten (or kill yourself). So I don't see how it matters.

You sleep the best way you can, in whatever you judge to be the least likely place to be seen.

Mike70
24-Feb-2009, 08:19 PM
Mike...no fire? How would you stay warm?

a nice sleeping bag?

a fire at night is the perfect way to say "we're over here!" to anyone or anything remotely near to you. i'd be willing to bet that zombies would be drawn to fire.

hadrian0117
25-Feb-2009, 12:57 AM
Let's assume you eventually fine and secure a fort/ship/underground base and can rest easy that the zombies can't get in. Do you think you'd ever be able to sleep in the same bed (or even the same room) with anyone else? Even if your partner is young and health there's always the chance they'd have a freak heart attack or aneurysm.:dead: Think about. You'd be sound asleep and wouldn't notice until you woke up to them bitting you.:eek: I doubt I could.

Thorn
25-Feb-2009, 01:58 PM
I am not sure I would ever sleep a decent night again to be honest. As it is I am easily stirred in the night when I hear noises, and while I wear glasses for driving I have better than average hearing. I am also very easily disturbed by noises (for example the guy two cubes over scraping the sides of his yogurt container, snorting that mist up his nose, and clipping his nails is like fingers down a chalkboard and it makes me want to throttle him).

The wailing, moaning, pounding, shuffling, and constant fear this would cause would play on my mind a great bit. I doubt I would sleep very well. This of course leads to mental fatigue, and making poor decisions so I would need to get over it. I would need to be in a group, where could sleep in shifts and I would need something to help cancel out the sounds, which is a negative because you may well be less likely to hear what you need to hear in a crisis. So you are quite literally putting yourself in the hands of another.

I have long maintained going it alone would not be an option for me, I know my own personal limitations very well.

I also know my strengths and my ability to improvise, adapt, and overcome. I have every confience that I would adjust eventually.

Mr.G
25-Feb-2009, 02:14 PM
Let's assume you eventually fine and secure a fort/ship/underground base and can rest easy that the zombies can't get in. Do you think you'd ever be able to sleep in the same bed (or even the same room) with anyone else? Even if your partner is young and health there's always the chance they'd have a freak heart attack or aneurysm.:dead: Think about. You'd be sound asleep and wouldn't notice until you woke up to them bitting you.:eek: I doubt I could.

Great post! I never thought about it like that.

darth los
25-Feb-2009, 02:50 PM
I am not sure I would ever sleep a decent night again to be honest. As it is I am easily stirred in the night when I hear noises, and while I wear glasses for driving I have better than average hearing. I am also very easily disturbed by noises (for example the guy two cubes over scraping the sides of his yogurt container, snorting that mist up his nose, and clipping his nails is like fingers down a chalkboard and it makes me want to throttle him).

The wailing, moaning, pounding, shuffling, and constant fear this would cause would play on my mind a great bit. I doubt I would sleep very well. This of course leads to mental fatigue, and making poor decisions so I would need to get over it. I would need to be in a group, where could sleep in shifts and I would need something to help cancel out the sounds, which is a negative because you may well be less likely to hear what you need to hear in a crisis. So you are quite literally putting yourself in the hands of another.

I have long maintained going it alone would not be an option for me, I know my own personal limitations very well.

I also know my strengths and my ability to improvise, adapt, and overcome. I have every confience that I would adjust eventually.

I had a similar sentiment. All this talk about sleep when it is very unlikely anyone would get a good nights sleep ever agian, or atleast not for a long while.

This is not unpaid bills or a pending job promotion keeping you up at night. This is a mortal threat.

If someone told you that you have cancer I doubt your going to be sleeping very well no matter how secure your location is or how good the medical treatment you are recieving is. You won't be at peace until it's defeated. Same thing with the ghouls. Sorta. LOL

:cool: