PDA

View Full Version : 'The Tripods' news...

Neil
25-Feb-2009, 10:10 AM
http://scifiwire.com/2009/02/alex-proyas-tripods-movie-will-be-the-first-of-a-trilogy-of-films.php

Mike70
25-Feb-2009, 12:40 PM
http://scifiwire.com/2009/02/alex-proyas-tripods-movie-will-be-the-first-of-a-trilogy-of-films.php

is there anything that isn't being remade, rebooted or re-envisioned? the BBC Tripods show was pretty entertaining, at least i thought so when i was younger. i wonder how the show has held up?

krakenslayer
25-Feb-2009, 12:52 PM
I watched The Tripods series 1 & 2 on DVD a few years ago. It was great but the second series ended on a cliffhanger and no more shows were ever made, which was absolutely infuriating - a little bit like the end of Phantasm IV.

Neil
25-Feb-2009, 12:58 PM
I watched The Tripods series 1 & 2 on DVD a few years ago. It was great but the second series ended on a cliffhanger and no more shows were ever made, which was absolutely infuriating - a little bit like the end of Phantasm IV.

Me too! Utter shame that 3rd series didn't get made, especially with the cliffhanger ending of the 2nd series :(

Mike70
25-Feb-2009, 01:03 PM

i haven't seen tripods since i was a kid. how do you think it's held up over the years? i wonder if the near 40 me would enjoy it as much now as i did when i was 14 or 15.

krakenslayer
25-Feb-2009, 01:54 PM
i haven't seen tripods since i was a kid. how do you think it's held up over the years? i wonder if the near 40 me would enjoy it as much now as i did when i was 14 or 15.

It held up not too badly. The acting was a bit hammy in places but in all honesty it's no worse than you'd expect.

I didn't see it during its original TV release (I was three months old when it first aired), so I can't really compare its effectiveness now vs. then, but I can say the special effects and everything were technically a lot better than other similar shows during the same period (e.g. Colin Baker-era Doctor Who, Blakes 7, Hitch-hikers Guide to the Galaxy, etc.). That said however, there weren't too many special effects shows at all in the first series - the threat of the Tripods was used more as a background to the human drama, you'd only see them maybe one or twice in most episodes - so instead of spending the lowish budget on lots of cheap effects, they seem to have wisely traded screen time for quality, and on the few occasions the Tripods do appear, they are really impressive.

You can see in the second series they had a bit more money so you see a lot more of the aliens and their technology - including a huge futuristic Tripod city that looks like something out of Blade Runner.

_liam_
07-Mar-2009, 11:40 AM
Ok true story

I got hammered in Brighton last year with an old schoomate. About 2am everywhere started shutting, so we went on a mission to find somewhere to drink.

We found this Nordic bar that didn't serve anything we'd heard of apart from Tuborg, and this dude at the bar guided us through what all the obscure booze was.

Anyway we got wrecked, but something wasn't quite right, I recognised him from somewhere...

IT WAS FRITZ FROM THE TRIPODS (series 2) :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I said "you're fritz from the tripods!" and he was like "oh bloody hell"

Anyway we had a chat about tripods & stuff, he remembers it all quite fondly

but yeah...er... there you go trivia fans, fritz is alive & well & can hold his drink

Neil
07-Mar-2009, 01:00 PM
Ok true story

I got hammered in Brighton last year with an old schoomate. About 2am everywhere started shutting, so we went on a mission to find somewhere to drink.

We found this Nordic bar that didn't serve anything we'd heard of apart from Tuborg, and this dude at the bar guided us through what all the obscure booze was.

Anyway we got wrecked, but something wasn't quite right, I recognised him from somewhere...

IT WAS FRITZ FROM THE TRIPODS (series 2) :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I said "you're fritz from the tripods!" and he was like "oh bloody hell"

Anyway we had a chat about tripods & stuff, he remembers it all quite fondly

but yeah...er... there you go trivia fans, fritz is alive & well & can hold his drink

Guy with the orange top?
http://www.freewebs.com/theleagueoffreemen/13aug.jpg

capncnut
08-Mar-2009, 01:11 AM
Bloody hell, looks like he's wrecked in that photo as well.

_liam_
08-Mar-2009, 09:12 AM
:lol: Yeah that's the dude. He's safe :D