PDA

View Full Version : Where you are at the start

sandrock74
27-Feb-2009, 08:43 PM
I think that has A LOT to do with how well any of us would survive in a zombie apocalypse. Even our best laid plans depend (at least in part) where we are and who we are around when the poop first hits the fan. Just think about it. Who is to say we would be in our "ideal" place?

Being caught with our pants down could doom just about anyone, regardless of whatever plans, supplies, etc we have.

krakenslayer
27-Feb-2009, 08:54 PM
Yep, absolutely!

Home turf is always going to be the safest place to be at first contact, even if you don't have a well-stocked or easily defensible house, it's the place you are most familiar with, it is where all your possessions are and where you are at the best advantage physically and psychologically. I think anyone who has imagined or planned for a crisis scenario has tended to base all their assumptions around being at home when the shit hit. But what if it happened when you're shopping? At work? Walking on a city street or in the countryside? Hell, what if you're out camping at a rock festival!?

Debbieangel
27-Feb-2009, 09:15 PM
I would most likely be here at home and my worry would be for my family. Different ones have to travel an hour to their work place.But, if something like the dead were to arise I am sure we all would have ample time to take action.
Deadheads like us would know what to do and we would be able to get what was needed and do what we had to to stay safe. Atleast for a time.
For me I would get a "heads up" cause I know quite a few people that work at our local hospital. My phone would be ringing off the hook if the dead started rising in the morgue. Again depending how it would go down. So, I would have some early warnings and would be able to get my family and me to swing into action.

lullubelle
28-Feb-2009, 01:57 AM
Think about it I believe even if you are in your home turf, it's all about the individual reaction, you could be in your "home turf" and die just just as easy if you panic, which I think with most of us it would be the first reaction, some people get over panic real quick and others dont, I for one would be "Oh my God, Oh my God" and then it would be like "Oh hell no you ain't getting me" and do everything I can to get to my children, but some people dont get past the " oh my God " phase, so I would say it is not where you are is who you are.:skull:

Yojimbo
01-Mar-2009, 05:53 PM
Yeah, I agree. If I'm at home when it all comes down, I will have access to gear and supplies. Living in Los Angeles, lots of folks have a "bug out pack" of some sort, what with the fires, earthquakes and riots, etc., which of course doesn't help you if you are away from home and do not have access to it. I have a truncated bug out pack in the trunk of my car, minus firearms, so if I have to abandon my vehicle on the road I at least have that. But since I work at a mortuary, I think if the dead start to walk I will be pretty much screwed as I will be at the epicenter of some real heavy shit.

krakenslayer
01-Mar-2009, 06:32 PM
Yeah, I agree. If I'm at home when it all comes down, I will have access to gear and supplies. Living in Los Angeles, lots of folks have a "bug out pack" of some sort, what with the fires, earthquakes and riots, etc., which of course doesn't help you if you are away from home and do not have access to it. I have a truncated bug out pack in the trunk of my car, minus firearms, so if I have to abandon my vehicle on the road I at least have that. But since I work at a mortuary, I think if the dead start to walk I will be pretty much screwed as I will be at the epicenter of some real heavy shit.

Here's an interesting question - if you were at work, the dead started to walk and you found yourself faced with 20-or-so lurching zombies all wanting to tear you to shreds, would you immediately bug out and run home, or would you feel obliged to do your part for the fight against undead multiplication by eliminating them or sealing them off from the world in some way (e.g. barribcading them inside)?

sammylou
01-Mar-2009, 07:11 PM
But since I work at a mortuary, I think if the dead start to walk I will be pretty much screwed as I will be at the epicenter of some real heavy shit.

That's wild. Not your everyday job, but its actually kind of cool in a way. But to be honest, if I were you, brother, I would get out of there as fast as humanly possible when the stuff starts happening. Even after a couple of reported incidents, I'd probably flee, actually. :)

Yojimbo
02-Mar-2009, 08:09 PM
Here's an interesting question - if you were at work, the dead started to walk and you found yourself faced with 20-or-so lurching zombies all wanting to tear you to shreds, would you immediately bug out and run home, or would you feel obliged to do your part for the fight against undead multiplication by eliminating them or sealing them off from the world in some way (e.g. barribcading them inside)?
I like to think that I would do my best to barricade the ghouls inside of the building, but if that was going to expose me to too much risk, I would likely turn my thoughts to getting home as soon as possible to defend my family. I would, however, place a 911 call informing local PD of the numerous ghouls inside of the mortuary - though at that point I think their resources might be stretched too thin to worry about it.

That's wild. Not your everyday job, but its actually kind of cool in a way. But to be honest, if I were you, brother, I would get out of there as fast as humanly possible when the stuff starts happening. Even after a couple of reported incidents, I'd probably flee, actually. :)
Like I said in the other response, I like to think that I would have the balls to barricade the zombies inside, but I think that self-preservation would take over and I would have to jet.

It was mentioned once before that mortuary folks like me would probably be the first to go, since we would likely just stand there staring in awe at the ghouls as they got up off the gurneys. But being the romero head that I am, I think I would snap out of it quickly and likely would run away.

Mr.G
02-Mar-2009, 08:29 PM

I work at a university with huge limestone buildings with six inch thick wooden doors. I would hole up and live off coke zero and skittles from the vending machines!

Debbieangel
02-Mar-2009, 09:22 PM
yojimbo think of it this way tho, you would be one of the first to know so, you would be able to get home and prepare.
I wouldnt stick around that place when the zombies start walking around, who says they could get out of the doors?
Me, I would just let my coworkers know, call 911 as you said and hightail it home.
Warn as many people as you can along the way.
In something like that something like that is gonna spread like wildfire.
So, I say get your butt home with your family.

AcesandEights
02-Mar-2009, 11:09 PM
Were I at home I'd probably be in trouble, but it might be correctable by getting out when early signs become apparent or if the outbreak is slow/controllable to some extent.

Were I at work and even a modest outbreak scenario 'hit the presses', I could be seriously, seriously screwed (I work in Manhattan :skull: ).

Thorn
03-Mar-2009, 05:23 PM
I just got back from Orlando Florida on vacation with my Daughter. While I was down there walking around Disney it struck me that with all the thousands of people in such a small area it would be a nightmare if there was an outbreak. First of all getting out of some of those places is a nightmare.

Like Disney does a good job at getting you in, but waiting in queue for the ferry to take you to the other side is a nightmare and you have a massive rush for a narrow gangplank. Really poorly designed if you ask me, and seriously out dated.

Then the tram. Is it automatic or human controlled? I don't know.

So many people, no vehicles of note, packed spaces, no visible buildings you could fortify (the employees might have an idea, like somewhere in the tunnels beneath Disney). I really thought we were doomed if the dead walked.

So much ground to cover, no weapons, no transport, a crush of other people, far too few armed security forces.

It would make for an interesting story perhaps, with some great visuals, but I just am not sure how one would survive short of dumb luck and great charisma gathering a bunch of other park goers together and getting them to work together like a team.

blind2d
04-Mar-2009, 12:36 AM
Disney World? I been there. Agreed, undead deathtrap for sure. And by deathtrap, I mean the humans... live ones who would be doing the dying. And that's about all you could do in such an environment. I'm depressed now.

AcesandEights
04-Mar-2009, 12:41 AM
Disney World? I been there. Agreed, undead deathtrap for sure.

And don't forget it's a cash trap too ;)

lullubelle
04-Mar-2009, 01:17 AM

Yikes, I guess i would be lucky if it happens when I am at work, I work in a senior citizen recreational center, plenty of food, roll up gates, lots of rooms, security cameras in and out, come to think about I would head that way when it starts :D

clanglee
04-Mar-2009, 01:22 AM
I
Then the tram. Is it automatic or human controlled? I don't know.

The monorail is human controlled.

Like Disney does a good job at getting you in, but waiting in queue for the ferry to take you to the other side is a nightmare and you have a massive rush for a narrow gangplank. Really poorly designed if you ask me, and seriously out dated.

There are many transportation options. . If we are talking Magic Kingdom and you parked at the ticket center tho, I find the monorail to be much more relaible and speedy. Also, it depends on what time you leave the park. If you jet right after the fireworks. .you are leaving at the same time everyone else is. It gets really backed up.

And don't forget it's a cash trap too ;)

Ahhh, but my favorite cashtrap in the world.:D

As far as it being a deathtrap during an incident? No doubt. . but at least there are rides!!

Thorn
04-Mar-2009, 04:24 PM
At work I feel I would be okay. I work for GE in a closed campus with fences, security guards, a water pumping station (toilets use an old fashioned set up by which they draw water from the river nearby), cars powered by propane with massive supply of this on-site. On campus power generator, construction vehicles, railroad cars, fabrication facilities with a large amount of steel and building supplies. Armed an unarmed guards, and a host of of world buildings that are very much able to withstand abuse. For example one we tried to knock down as part of a rebuilding, this was one of the oldest poured concrete buildings in the country and it wrecked the wrecking ball.

No seriously.

AcesandEights
04-Mar-2009, 04:35 PM
For example one we tried to knock down as part of a rebuilding, this was one of the oldest poured concrete buildings in the country and it wrecked the wrecking ball.

"They don't build 'em like they used to," comes to mind. :)

Yojimbo
04-Mar-2009, 07:46 PM
yojimbo think of it this way tho, you would be one of the first to know so, you would be able to get home and prepare.
I wouldnt stick around that place when the zombies start walking around, who says they could get out of the doors?
Me, I would just let my coworkers know, call 911 as you said and hightail it home.
Warn as many people as you can along the way.
In something like that something like that is gonna spread like wildfire.
So, I say get your butt home with your family.
Very sound advice. Screw it, I'm going home to protect my wife and my grandma, and if I can secure the mortuary before I leave then I will, but my family always has to be priority one for me and surviving so that I can protect them takes precedence over protecting the public at large.

AcesandEights
04-Mar-2009, 08:33 PM
Screw it, I'm going home to protect my wife and my grandma, and if I can secure the mortuary before I leave then I will, but my family always has to be priority one for me and surviving so that I can protect them takes precedence over protecting the public at large.

No way, Yo. You are a mortuary (http://www.hauntedamericatours.com/tours/mortuary_comingsoon.jpg) professional (http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h134/jgmopar/john1/phantasm.jpg), by gum! Sorry, but you've seen the movies, you must have known the risks (http://astaroth.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/return.jpg) before getting into the old stiffs game.

Now look lively and prepare to go down with the ship!

Yojimbo
04-Mar-2009, 08:49 PM
No way, Yo. You are a mortuary (http://www.hauntedamericatours.com/tours/mortuary_comingsoon.jpg) professional (http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h134/jgmopar/john1/phantasm.jpg), by gum! Sorry, but you've seen the movies, you must have known the risks (http://astaroth.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/return.jpg) before getting into the old stiffs game.

Too much Six-Feet-Under has made me forget! Aces, I had forgotten about the tall man and how he was a mortician too, so perhaps I do have a sacred duty here!

Thorn
05-Mar-2009, 01:51 PM

LOL... Tall Man, he was an awesome villain. Very scary, very otherworldly. but with a down to earth realistic scary air about him.

And as for your other comment they really don't build them like they used to it is amazing when you think about it, if they did I think we would be paying less in insurance because they wouldn't be swept awat at the first sign of a strong wind.

This place is pretty amazing there is one side that is guarded by a huge hill and I did not notice a fence it would have to be on the other side though, it is completely fortified and with good reason. We have Nuclear, Wind energy, and a number of other power systems working out of here.

We have access to generators as well two on some buildings but one on most others. Large fuel reserves. In fact while i know i posted a plan for long term survival tied to another building this place is looking better and better. Hell we make turbines and wind generators. That is a constant source of energy producing material. We would just need raw material (there is tons on hand but I am talking LONG term) we we would also need good leadership, and creative thinking on fortification with the massive amount of steel we do have on site.

Again the construction vehicles which are not always on site are massive cranes, backhoes, steam rollers, bucket lifts you name it we have it. I am certain all this could be leveraged into a good defense.

Not to mention the fact that several of the buildings are connected by above ground enclosed walkways (like on the third floor) allowing you to move back and forth freely between buildings, then if you needed to you could destroy the bridge if you were over run in one location.

We also have two cafeterias on campus one is massive and fully stocked, the other less so.

Come to think of it we have satellite up links too in our data center.

To quote Annie 'I think I'm gonna like it here"

JDFP
13-Mar-2009, 05:45 PM
I think the most interesting thought in this thread is that no one has really mentioned the human factor. Zombies would certainly be bad enough, but I would personally be more afraid of hordes of crazed and scared humans than shuffling dead creatures that can't walk a mile in an hour. A person may be intelligent and may have his/her life and the respect for others in mind, but when you add in a dozen or more other people and all the sudden you have a "crowd" -- well, that's when true chaos and panic sets the stage.

I think, especially at first, you'd probably have more death and chaos caused by "masses of people" than you would zombies. My personal goal if the Romero world were to come to be? Get away from all people for at least 30 days. I live on a second floor apartment and would only have to barricade one window. The outside entrance is a wooden stairwell. I thought about just chopping down the stairwell but then realized, "Yeah, me with an ax standing out here trying to chop through a stairwell? No." I would just have to seal it off well enough to not have to worry about the ghouls (or other people, which I would be more afraid of especially at first) and then sit it out for at least a month. At that time, well, you go from there. But if you want to be truly "safer", you keep to yourself or smaller groups of people you can trust. The larger the group, the more likely you're going to have some self-pronounced messiah or a small elite vanguard class evolve out of the group and start turning the individual people into "group-think" slaves to some authoritarian autocracy.

You may get lonely by yourself or around just a few people, but you have less worries about being hanged for eating beyond your share of supplies in the group or breaking some "rule".

If humanity is to survive after the apocalypse it will be in smaller groups of nomadic folks who have the common goal in mind. The larger the group, the more doubtful of their survival simply by ambition and people growing power-hungry. Never underestimate the power of the stupidity of the masses.

j.p.

Yojimbo
14-Mar-2009, 12:17 AM
I thought about just chopping down the stairwell but then realized, "Yeah, me with an ax standing out here trying to chop through a stairwell? No."
Good decision, and I salute you for not being among those who take as gospel everything that Max Brooks put down on paper.

Brooks may be a talented writer, but that ridiculous tip and the accompanying illustration showing someone destroying a staircase with an axe while standing on it makes me think that he is pretty clueless - or maybe he was intending to be funny (the book is supposedly meant to be shelved in the "humor" section after all.)

I think the most interesting thought in this thread is that no one has really mentioned the human factor. Zombies would certainly be bad enough, but I would personally be more afraid of hordes of crazed and scared humans than shuffling dead creatures that can't walk a mile in an hour. A person may be intelligent and may have his/her life and the respect for others in mind, but when you add in a dozen or more other people and all the sudden you have a "crowd" -- well, that's when true chaos and panic sets the stage.

Wise to be more afraid of the other survivors. Though not really touched on in this particular thread, this concept frequently comes up here and has been discussed and debated quite extensively on many previous threads and posts.