PDA

View Full Version : Stephen King's "It" to be made into a film...

Neil
13-Mar-2009, 02:03 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7941335.stm

If I recall the book and the TV-mini series, as with so many Stephen King stories, then end is a big let down :(

AcesandEights
13-Mar-2009, 02:21 PM
Ugggh, they need to produce some of his existing, untapped material as films, not re-tread stories people have seen in such great detail. I sympathize a bit more with wanting to expand a previous film to a miniseries to address portions of excised or truncated material, but...double meh to this re-do.

MoonSylver
13-Mar-2009, 02:33 PM
Ugggh, they need to produce some of his existing, untapped material as films, not re-tread stories people have seen in such great detail. I sympathize a bit more with wanting to expand a previous film to a miniseries to address portions of excised or truncated material, but...double meh to this re-do.

I'm seeing a trend here, as in the Fantastic Four thread..."Oh, we fucked it up the first time? Let's do it again!"

NO MULLIGANS DAMNIT!!! DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!!!

Neil
13-Mar-2009, 02:37 PM
"Oh, we fucked it up the first time? Let's do it again!"

From what I recall, the mini-series of "IT" was pretty good? Just the ending let it down, which was really due to the source material (King's novel)?

I recall Tim Curry being fantastically creepy in it!

LqUDr6pTkfY

MoonSylver
13-Mar-2009, 02:48 PM
From what I recall, the mini-series of "IT" was pretty good? Just the ending let it down, which was really due to the source material (King's novel)?

I recall Tim Curry being fantastically creepy in it!

As a fan of the book I was only "meh" on it. It's another one of those King books that is fantastically heavy, w/ lot's of back story (which doesn't convert well to film/screen) & there's a lot of deeper meaning behind "It" & where the Losers were getting their help from, etc.

I dunno, some of King's stuff seems to translate better than others? Seems like the more "straightforward" stuff translates pretty well, but the more "cosmic" stuff, that ties together in the "King-verse" kinda looses something in translation.

Being a TV movie instead of a feature didn't really help either...

"The Stand" being another one that, IMO, The TV movie format did no favors (wonder how long before they'll remake IT as well?)

slickwilly13
13-Mar-2009, 03:28 PM
Why are they remaking this? The t.v. series was meh. Though, I liked Tim Curry as a clown. Btw, what the hell was he? He went from murderous clown to glowing monster floating around in the sewers. I never read the book, btw.

AcesandEights
13-Mar-2009, 03:37 PM

I agree. For it's day, and the fact that it was a made for tv mini-series, the production was quite good, save for the ending (per usual King-style ;) )

Danny
13-Mar-2009, 05:21 PM
Who do they think can replace tim curry?, JHONNY DEPP?!?, SETH ROGAN?!?!

WILL WEATON!!!!!11!!ONEONE!!

Neil
13-Mar-2009, 05:31 PM
As a fan of the book
Was the ending as poor as I recall?

bassman
13-Mar-2009, 05:31 PM
Who do they think can replace tim curry?, JHONNY DEPP?!?, SETH ROGAN?!?!

WILL WEATON!!!!!11!!ONEONE!!

Michael Cera.:rolleyes::mad:

MoonSylver
13-Mar-2009, 06:07 PM
Was the ending as poor as I recall?

I liked it...bit of a downer in some respects, a bit bittersweet in others. The whole concept of the book & the town of Derry in general was pretty epic to me, ending included. Insomnia was another good one along those lines, also set in Derry.

ProfessorChaos
13-Mar-2009, 07:14 PM
i remember the tv miniseries and read the book when i was younger....stephen king's got some freaky scene in the book where all the boys basically gangbang the chick (she's down for it) that hangs with them and they all lose their virginity together or something.

i'd rather see more of kings short stories adapted into episodes, perhaps like the twilight zone movie where you've got four really great shorts, or even a double-film like grindhouse. "road work" and "the long walk" from the bachman books are two that would make a great double feature, imo. probably wouldn't be box-office smashes and bring in tons of texting teeny-boppers, but with the right people working on them, they'd be great.

Tricky
13-Mar-2009, 07:34 PM
I always thought of the TV mini series as a film anyway,and no doubt some cocky kid of a director will make it into a CGI fest with model-like teens in all the lead roles!
The book is awesome & the ending makes much more sense,the TV version had a worthy stab at the book but yes the end was a let down,but it would be hard to translate all that "deadlights" stuff to screen anyway,it only works in your own imagination from the words on the page

MikePizzoff
14-Mar-2009, 10:36 PM
Why are they remaking this? The t.v. series was meh. Though, I liked Tim Curry as a clown. Btw, what the hell was he? He went from murderous clown to glowing monster floating around in the sewers. I never read the book, btw.

Don't forget giant spider form.

Pennywise the clown was your biggest fears, I believe.

blind2d
16-Mar-2009, 01:14 AM
This book (IT) is the reason I didn't kill myself in Junior year. Also loved The Long Walk. Totally could see it as a movie. King is... King, but Romero is Lord. Respect.

ProfessorChaos
16-Mar-2009, 01:28 AM
This book (IT) is the reason I didn't kill myself in Junior year.

wow. uh....what's up with that?:confused:

blind2d
17-Mar-2009, 02:01 AM
It's okay, PC. I'm on the pills now. Used to be "manic depressive", or some such. The Bible helped too. You wanna know my favorite part? Two words, "Refrigerator Scene".

clanglee
17-Mar-2009, 02:29 AM
Two words, "Refrigerator Scene".

Ewwwww. . is that the group wank scene?

ProfessorChaos
17-Mar-2009, 02:32 AM
well, that's good you got some stuff worked out...

i never knew there was a refrigerator scene in the bible;)

EDIT: i recall a part in the book where somebody had a dead kid or animal or something in a fridge. i also recall an unsettling part about somebody getting their knob slobbed on by a buddy in the junkyard or something. eww.

clanglee
17-Mar-2009, 03:36 AM
well, that's good you got some stuff worked out...

i never knew there was a refrigerator scene in the bible;)

EDIT: i recall a part in the book where somebody had a dead kid or animal or something in a fridge. i also recall an unsettling part about somebody getting their knob slobbed on by a buddy in the junkyard or something. eww.

Yeah. . If I recall. . the two scenes are one. I can't remember tho. Been years since I've read it.

But for some reason the refrigerator is burned into my psyche as having something to do the afore mention "knob slobbling"

deadkrank
17-Mar-2009, 12:57 PM
You know I knew it was going to happen.Hollywood is remaking just about every old horror films.And even none Horror films.Cant believe there realy going to remake The Karate Kid! And there also going to remake The Neverending Story.Now Hollywood has there eyes on remaking Stephen King fims. Yeah Creepshow is coming.I think there also remaking Children of The Corn? And yeah Pet Sematary is getting remade. We allready have 2 versions of Trucks.And 2 Shinings,and even 2 Salem's Lot,and 2 Carries plus one awful Carrie sequel. How long before we see news for remakes for Cujo,Cats Eye,and a Silver Bullet remake?I do think a movie version of IT would be nice thoe. The Mini Series was TV made. A film version they could do alot more and be alot more bloody. Of course How mutch will they stick in the film? The novel was huge.

blind2d
18-Mar-2009, 02:51 AM
Ooh, yeah, bad word placement there. Sorry guys.
Ok, in the refrigerator scene, I think the two bully kids are in the junkyard and the dumb one just learned how to jerk off and is trying to teach the other one. Then the less-dumb bully takes off and the other is left alone. Then... my memory goes hazy, but there are some flying leech-gnats, or something that come out of the fridge and attack the dumb one. The imagery of this scene just rocked my world.

slickwilly13
18-Mar-2009, 12:58 PM
Jackie Chan and Will's Smith's son will be in The Karate Kid remake. I heard on the radio a while back.

AcesandEights
18-Mar-2009, 02:04 PM
Jackie Chan and Will's Smith's son will be in The Karate Kid remake. I heard on the radio a while back.

:stunned:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/DougOBrien/emo1.jpg

Danny
18-Mar-2009, 05:21 PM
:stunned:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/DougOBrien/emo1.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/khazrak/funny-pictures-emo-wall.jpg

deadkrank
19-Mar-2009, 01:36 AM
Ooh, yeah, bad word placement there. Sorry guys.
Ok, in the refrigerator scene, I think the two bully kids are in the junkyard and the dumb one just learned how to jerk off and is trying to teach the other one. Then the less-dumb bully takes off and the other is left alone. Then... my memory goes hazy, but there are some flying leech-gnats, or something that come out of the fridge and attack the dumb one. The imagery of this scene just rocked my world.

Pennywise took the form of a mosquito in the scene with the refrigerator.
Pennywise was a shape shifter. IT could pose in any form it wanted too.
It even took the form of Micheal Landon as The Werewolf from I was A Teenage Werewolf in one part of the story.

blind2d
19-Mar-2009, 02:44 AM
Yeah, been a while, so I forgot that detail. Good call.
What?! Jackie Chan and Will Smith had a baby together?! What is this world coming to!

deadkrank
19-Mar-2009, 12:04 PM
Please why do they need to remake The Karate Kid? Theres nothing wrong with the orginal movie. Had a great story,a great cast,and an awsome 80's soundtrack.
Yeah its going to be little kids this time oppose to teenagers. Ok so when the kid is getting beat up is Mr.Miyagi going to run in and beat up the little kid bullys?

Mike70
19-Mar-2009, 02:32 PM
i didn't care for the "It" mini-series. the adult cast didn't do much for me.

i don't know about doing this as a movie. "It" is an enormous book with lots and lots of stuff going on. doing another miniseries would be a better way to go instead of rendering a book that is 1100 or so pages long into a 90 min. movie.

mista_mo
19-Mar-2009, 03:33 PM
neve saw the karate kid myself, but if will Smith and Jackie Chan wish to take this next step in life, then I commend them!

Although....How...and why did they make sweaty crusty sexy time together? what would the kid look like?

http://makemebabies.com/shared/2/baby/1000/babywb2009031910311509bbliua3f3849loartocnogc5.jpg

huh...

deadkrank
19-Mar-2009, 07:28 PM
i didn't care for the "It" mini-series. the adult cast didn't do much for me.

i don't know about doing this as a movie. "It" is an enormous book with lots and lots of stuff going on. doing another miniseries would be a better way to go instead of rendering a book that is 1100 or so pages long into a 90 min. movie.

Yeah I agree. If they want to make it bloody then make it an HBO mini series?
Or they could do what Warner is going to do with the last Harry Potter movie. Cut it in half. Release the first part in theaters then a few months later release the 2nd half?