PDA

View Full Version : HPotD - Short Zombie Film Contest - OFFICIAL THREAD

DjfunkmasterG
15-Mar-2009, 02:37 PM
Ok ghouls and Goblins, here we go, the official Homepage Of The Dead Short Zombie Film Contest. Each contestant will make a short film using the rules listed below.

The Movie will be a short film: No Longer than 10 minutes with credits.
All audio/music must be legally cleared, meaning licensed or 100% original.
Footage/Audio from any Zombie film already released will be prohibited, this includes Night of the Living Dead.
Films made previous to the contest are prohibited. (Meaning you have to make a brand new film)
Films must be in the English language, or at least contain english subtitles if in a foreign language.
Films must be framed in one of the two cinema aspect ratios (1.85:1 or 2.35:1) Meaning, no 4:3 films.
Your film must contain zombies. (runners or shamblers are fine.)
Films with Explicit language, Gore, Nudity, or Sex must contain a REDBAND warning to alert viewers.
Films can be any genre format.(Romance, Comedy, Action, horror, Documentary, Western, etc)
Don't forget to include your contact details when you submit your film for judging.
All films must be submitted by June 16th 2009 12:00 EST

The CONTEST begins on March 16th 2009, and ends July 16th 2009.

Once all films are received, Judges will take 2 weeks to pick the top 5. on July 1st 2009 the top 5 will be placed in a special post for voting to determine the overall winner. The winner will be announced on July 16th once voting as ended.

A panel of select Judges will choose the top 5 films out of the bunch. Once the top 5 films are chosen, HPotD forum members will vote for the overall winner of BEST ZOMBIE MOVIE. The judges will select the winners of the other categories.

The winner of the BEST ZOMBIE MOVIE will be awarded a zombie prize pack. it will include all available editions of the Romero Dead films on Blu-Ray, courtesy of Gary Ugarek and WETNWILDRADIO Films

Other Categories Include:

Best Make-Up and FX
Best Editing
Best Use of Genre

Winners in the alternate categories will receive a certificate showing their win.

Once your film is complete please upload it to youtube.com and alert, Me (DJfunkmasterG) by sending me a private message. We will then move the videos to the HPotD You Tube Channel which is located at:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ZOMBIEFILMCONTEST

As stated above once we pick the top 5, HPotD members will vote for best overall film.

if you have any questions please post them below, or send me a private message.

Thanks and Good Luck -
DjfunkmasterG

mista_mo
15-Mar-2009, 03:39 PM
judges?

why?

DjfunkmasterG
15-Mar-2009, 04:13 PM
Well I decided I wanted to have judges, but I am letting the members choose best zombi movie winner, Judges will do technical stuff.

Wanted the members to be the deciding choice on Best Film.

tkane18
16-Mar-2009, 05:15 AM
The CONTEST begins on March 16th 2009, and Ends July 16th 2009.

All films must be completed and submitted for Judging by June 16th 2009. Judges will take 2 weeks to pick the top 5 and the top 5 will be place in special posts for voting to determine the overall winner. Remember all films must be submitted by June 16th 2009 to be judged for final round.

So is it July 16th or June 16th?

DjfunkmasterG
16-Mar-2009, 11:41 AM
All films submitted by June 16th, the judges will then take 2 weeks to pick the top 5.

Once the top are chosen, Judges will unleash the top 5 films to the community for voting to pick the best zombie film. The contest will end by July 16th 2009. The film with the most votes wins.

livingdeadboy
16-Mar-2009, 02:35 PM
Sounds like fun! :)

kchertu
16-Mar-2009, 05:06 PM
Excellent! My brain is a churnin'!

Looking forward to making my first zombie movie. :)

DjfunkmasterG
16-Mar-2009, 09:09 PM
Churn away man, churn away.

:D

xxMikeyDubzxx
29-Mar-2009, 10:21 PM
Was sent the link, am new to the forums but working on a script for this project... so far will be very rated R, and will def need the redband warning. Can't wait to get more written!

EvilNed
29-Mar-2009, 10:33 PM
Third day into filming here. The production has been stricken with extremely bad luck, but we're getting excellent footage. And that's the important part, because that's what lasts!

krakenslayer
29-Mar-2009, 10:42 PM
Bah... stupid unemployment and lack of money. I wish I had the funds to take part in this. Even if I just had enough money to buy a camera, I know I could make something worth watching.

Can I have a prize for coming up with the idea for the contest? :lol:

Oh well, if this upcoming job pans out I should have plenty of money to take on next year's SZFC. *wink* *wink* ;)

DjfunkmasterG
29-Mar-2009, 11:16 PM
Was sent the link, am new to the forums but working on a script for this project... so far will be very rated R, and will def need the redband warning. Can't wait to get more written!

Third day into filming here. The production has been stricken with extremely bad luck, but we're getting excellent footage. And that's the important part, because that's what lasts!

Welcome Mikey

Look forward to seeing what you bring to us.

You Too EvilNed

axlish
30-Mar-2009, 12:27 AM
I'm brainstorming and will create something if I find it to be worthwhile, and easy on the wallet.

Just curious, but can we assume that the judges will not be participants?

MinionZombie
30-Mar-2009, 10:04 AM
I'm brainstorming and will create something if I find it to be worthwhile, and easy on the wallet.

Well, I'm a judge, and I'm not participating - so that's an "aye" to your question from me at least.

I do look forward to seeing what people pimp up though. :)

DjfunkmasterG
30-Mar-2009, 11:07 AM

Me a Judge too and HELL no, I am not making a film for the contest. Although I had a great idea for one about these people trapped in a movie theater on the night of a zombie outbreak, but I went ahead and made that into a Feature. :D

Which I am still tweaking. :elol:

MinionZombie
30-Mar-2009, 12:53 PM
STILL tweaking? I thought you'd finished the tweaking? :confused:

Tweaks to the tweaks? Dizaaaaaaaamn dude. :D

Phenia Films
01-Apr-2009, 03:33 PM
Heres my Entrie...

"The Union Cemetery" (1981)
filmed in classic Super 8 (B&W) one of the first films i ever made
Music by John Carpenter

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff202/joebarbarisi/P21501782-1.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLNtx1O5Khw

AcesandEights
01-Apr-2009, 03:49 PM
I'd like to volunteer to help anyone who needs...urrrm...anything. Like, an extra body. I mean, since this is an HPOTD thing, it rather sparked my interest to volunteer. I know it's unlikely, but I thought I'd offer. So any help needed of the untalented variety, you just let me know.

Wish I had more to offer, but...you know how it is when you have no readily discernible talent. Well, maybe you don't. ;)

DjfunkmasterG
01-Apr-2009, 07:23 PM
Heres my Entrie...

"The Union Cemetery" (1981)
filmed in classic Super 8 (B&W) one of the first films i ever made
Music by John Carpenter

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff202/joebarbarisi/P21501782-1.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLNtx1O5Khw

Hi Phenia,

please read the rules. All entries must be shot brand new and must contain original or legally licensed music.

Phenia Films
01-Apr-2009, 08:31 PM
sorry guys..didnt read the rules
just for a goof post i guess

livingdeadboy
02-Apr-2009, 09:59 PM
I started working on an entry for this as well, thanks DJ for giving me an excuse to make another zombie flick :p

DjfunkmasterG
02-Apr-2009, 10:46 PM
I started working on an entry for this as well, thanks DJ for giving me an excuse to make another zombie flick :p

My Pleasure. :D

xxMikeyDubzxx
03-Apr-2009, 07:04 PM
I'd like to volunteer to help anyone who needs...urrrm...anything. Like, an extra body.

Speaking of this... if anyone is near the Michigan area and would like to help on the piece I'm working on, we could use an extra body/crew member. We've got a few pages of the script done, hope to finish it next week.

DjfunkmasterG
06-Apr-2009, 01:17 PM
Glad to hear so many of you are churning out your zombie films. Keep it going and don't give up. Use craigslist if you have to recruit people, tackle your grand parents into playing zombies, whatever works.

I truly look forward to seeing everyones projects.

SymphonicX
08-Apr-2009, 03:05 PM
goddamnit. I want to do this. Just need resources!!!!!!

can I do an animated short film?

DjfunkmasterG
08-Apr-2009, 07:52 PM
goddamnit. I want to do this. Just need resources!!!!!!

can I do an animated short film?

Yes, no rules say it has to be Live Action. So Animated is acceptable.

Gary

Neil
09-Apr-2009, 03:12 PM
Yes, no rules say it has to be Live Action.

*shudders at the thought of Minion producing his long threatened animated explicit gay action man living dead flick *

MinionZombie
09-Apr-2009, 04:37 PM
*shudders at the thought of Minion producing his long threatened animated explicit gay action man living dead flick *
What-what-what?!

How'd you get into mah brainz?!?!1!!?/!!1!? :eek:

And why animate such a thing? If you're going to all that effort, you might as well go live action to really see the glistening beads of sweat rolling down the ... ... :lol:

No way dude, not my deal. :D

Now ... beads of sweat rolling down some lady-boobies ... then we'll talk. ;)

DjfunkmasterG
09-Apr-2009, 10:05 PM
Now ... beads of sweat rolling down some lady-boobies ... then we'll talk. ;)

:cool::cool::cool:

There is a new chic at work, pretty hot, I wouldn't mind seeing sweat run off her boobies.

MinionZombie
10-Apr-2009, 09:39 AM
:cool::cool::cool:

There is a new chic at work, pretty hot, I wouldn't mind seeing sweat run off her boobies.
*tugs at collar, steam shoots out cartoon-stylee*

Yeaaaaaah boi...:D

Chic Freak
11-Apr-2009, 02:09 PM
I'd like to volunteer to help anyone who needs...urrrm...anything. Like, an extra body. I mean, since this is an HPOTD thing, it rather sparked my interest to volunteer. I know it's unlikely, but I thought I'd offer. So any help needed of the untalented variety, you just let me know.

Wish I had more to offer, but...you know how it is when you have no readily discernible talent.

Ditto, if anyone's shooting in London. I've always wanted to be a dead body in a movie, re-animated or not :D

krakenslayer
11-Apr-2009, 03:41 PM
Absolutely ditto. I helped drum up interest in this contest because I thought I'd be able to enter, but fate conspired against me and I'm totally skint. I will, however, happily offer whatever assistance I possibly can within the greater Glasgow area (although I think there's only one or two people from around here on the boards).

MinionZombie
12-Apr-2009, 10:46 AM
Ditto, if anyone's shooting in London. I've always wanted to be a dead body in a movie, re-animated or not :D
You should do a film with Liam, he's got a camera hasn't he?

Chic Freak
12-Apr-2009, 12:46 PM
You should do a film with Liam, he's got a camera hasn't he?

Yeah, he's doing a degree in Film & TV atm @ University of East London. I think he's up to his eyeballs in shoots for that though! Plus he already made a couple of zombie films when he was at college so I don't know if he'd be up for making another one.

xxMikeyDubzxx
13-Apr-2009, 02:12 AM
Just started posting for actors/actresses.. working on getting some fundraisers to pay for them and for makeup/prosthetics.

This one girl already responded to the ad... she was 16. According to my buddy if you're not old enough to watch the film, you probably shouldn't be acting in it!

Neil
13-Apr-2009, 08:18 AM
Just started posting for actors/actresses.. working on getting some fundraisers to pay for them and for makeup/prosthetics.

This one girl already responded to the ad... she was 16. According to my buddy if you're not old enough to watch the film, you probably shouldn't be acting in it!

Depends upon what sort of scene she in I would suspect.

MinionZombie
13-Apr-2009, 09:41 AM
Depends upon what sort of scene she in I would suspect.
You'd have to get permission from her parents though I'd think.

DjfunkmasterG
13-Apr-2009, 10:12 AM
Anyone under 18 needs parental consent to be in any type of film, TV spot, commercial show, etc. It just covers your ass. Better safe than sorry.

xxMikeyDubzxx
15-Apr-2009, 03:38 PM
Oh yeah, without a doubt we'd have her sign a release. The things that our two actresses will be doing are um... yeah... Illegal in most countries, for someone who is of age? :-D

We still can't think of a name for this short... is there somewhere I could post the script to solicit ideas for the name of it? (obviously this would spoil the plot for whoever reads it)

Neil
15-Apr-2009, 06:23 PM
is there somewhere I could post the script to solicit ideas for the name of it? (obviously this would spoil the plot for whoever reads it)

The fiction section? http://www.homepageofthedead.com/cgi/forum/forum.pl

xxMikeyDubzxx
15-Apr-2009, 07:29 PM
The fiction section? http://www.homepageofthedead.com/cgi/forum/forum.pl

OK, i will start a thread for this soon... If this isn't cool as some people might be judging this at some point, I guess mods will just close the thread? I'll alert the readers that reading it will obviously spoil the plot.

xxMikeyDubzxx
22-Apr-2009, 04:18 PM
The rules state we need a 'redband warning'. How long should this be, and is it considered part of the total length of our piece?

livingdeadboy
02-May-2009, 09:18 PM
The rules state we need a 'redband warning'. How long should this be, and is it considered part of the total length of our piece?

Four seconds is a good amount of time, generally all trailers with the RED or GREEN band sign only last for a max of about five seconds.

----

Finally started work on a zombie short for this contest, it's been fun, it's been a Night '07 reunion of sorts, we have a lot of the original crew back to shoot this short. It's sort of our sequel/follow up to Night.

How is everybody doing with their shorts? Any cool BTS pics to post, or fun stories?

DjfunkmasterG
04-May-2009, 01:51 PM
4 seconds is more than enough, most people will know when they seen the red band it is a warning, so 3-4 is good enough.

Basically if your film contains gore, language or nudity you want this, but if your film contains none of that, no warning band is needed.

EvilNed
09-May-2009, 12:28 PM
I'm editing my film right now. It will not land under 10 minutes, so I won't contend with it. It'll probably land around 14-15 min.

MinionZombie
09-May-2009, 12:53 PM
I'm editing my film right now. It will not land under 10 minutes, so I won't contend with it. It'll probably land around 14-15 min.
All the best for the film, I'll be interested to see it when it's done - once it's posted online, let me know the necessary info about it and I can update the HPOTD member's films list (sticked in the Filmmakers Forum). :)

DjfunkmasterG
12-May-2009, 01:25 PM
Just a heads up everyone, a little over one month to go before films are due. So good luck to everyone and I personally can't wait to see the entries.

DjfunkmasterG
28-May-2009, 11:23 AM
Getting down to the final 2 weeks soon. So just a heads up to everyone.

AcesandEights
28-May-2009, 02:24 PM
Any inclination as to the size of the 'field' of contestants?

DjfunkmasterG
28-May-2009, 06:24 PM
No Idea... No one has emailed or PM'd anyone yet with their films.

DjfunkmasterG
01-Jun-2009, 01:59 PM
Deadline is coming up in 14 days guys. Haven't received any word or notifications about films for contest.

Gary

Neil
01-Jun-2009, 07:13 PM
Deadline is coming up in 14 days guys. Haven't received any word or notifications about films for contest.

Gary

Be shame if nothing comes of all this! Gary's put forward a great prize and, besides that, it's a great excuse to actually make something...

DjfunkmasterG
01-Jun-2009, 08:58 PM
Well if nothing does come of it, maybe we'll try again in the fall. Sometimes people just aren't motivated, but I am eager to get them motivated.

We could do like a theme, American Idol, or Britians Got Talent style. Call it Zombie Idol, or something, I dunno. Anyway, if this ones a bust we'll just do it again around September/October.

livingdeadboy
01-Jun-2009, 09:46 PM
The short I was making for this contest slowly developed into a feature, sorry DJ... you should turn this into a feature contest :p

HorrorfanJBT
01-Jun-2009, 10:30 PM
I might have something made up in time, if so then I'll let you know :)

kchertu
10-Jun-2009, 07:16 PM
Damn, I really wanted to do something for the contest, but my idea also quickly developed into a feature film that I'm going to spend the next 2 months on pre-pro, shoot some footage for a trailer in August, then try to get After Dark to pick it up for Horrorfest next year... or get investors to make it myself.

Not that I've had any time to shoot it right now anyway. Good luck to those who do submit... hopefully they'll come out of the woodwork!

Neil
10-Jun-2009, 09:17 PM
Well if nothing does come of it, maybe we'll try again in the fall. Sometimes people just aren't motivated, but I am eager to get them motivated.

We could do like a theme, American Idol, or Britians Got Talent style. Call it Zombie Idol, or something, I dunno. Anyway, if this ones a bust we'll just do it again around September/October.

Christ! At this rate my two second zombie short could be the winner :)

DJ! Thanks for the idea and thanks for the patience! It's definately worth another go! Hell I may even make a three second epic :)

DjfunkmasterG
11-Jun-2009, 12:26 PM
5 days left... and nothing. :(

Tis a shame.

And Josh, if you have a zombie film lined up... we need to talk. :D

livingdeadboy
11-Jun-2009, 03:18 PM
5 days left... and nothing. :(

Tis a shame.

Well DJ, to be fair here, I think the biggest problem is that the overall prize wasn't enticing enough. If you're on this board then chances are highly likely that you already own the entire living dead series. And aside from having overall better quality and some little nooks and crannies, the BLU-RAY versions of Romero's movies are really no different then your standard editions. Not only that, but I think it's fair to assume that not everyone owns a Blu Ray player. Next time around, if you're up for it, you should post this idea on some of the other related horror and zombie forums you're apart of (perhaps you did this already, I'm not sure).

Frankly the draw of most online short films contests are the promise of money, distribution, being on a DVD, meeting a film maker etc.

Now, this is not a put down in any way of your original intentions. I appreciate (as I'm sure others do) your willingness to want to get other people to get off their ass and make a movie. But more than a few of us on this board already have a hefty amount of shorts and such kicking under our belts. Regardless it would have been neat to see what some people could have come up with.

However, kudos to you though, you prompted a couple of us to just go forward and make a feature. Of which I'm sure will grant you a "Special Thanks" in the credits. So this initial concept of yours did succeed in some form or fashion. Thank you for planting the seed and continuing your support of independent cinema. :)

Captain_Amazing
15-Jun-2009, 02:45 AM
I'm entering!!@! It'll be done by the morning of the 16th!!! Don't cancel it please :hyper:

Edit: I hope, my editing software is acting fishy.... Some of the clips keep turning black...

DjfunkmasterG
15-Jun-2009, 02:19 PM
Well DJ, to be fair here, I think the biggest problem is that the overall prize wasn't enticing enough. If you're on this board then chances are highly likely that you already own the entire living dead series. And aside from having overall better quality and some little nooks and crannies, the BLU-RAY versions of Romero's movies are really no different then your standard editions. Not only that, but I think it's fair to assume that not everyone owns a Blu Ray player. Next time around, if you're up for it, you should post this idea on some of the other related horror and zombie forums you're apart of (perhaps you did this already, I'm not sure).

Frankly the draw of most online short films contests are the promise of money, distribution, being on a DVD, meeting a film maker etc.

Now, this is not a put down in any way of your original intentions. I appreciate (as I'm sure others do) your willingness to want to get other people to get off their ass and make a movie. But more than a few of us on this board already have a hefty amount of shorts and such kicking under our belts. Regardless it would have been neat to see what some people could have come up with.

However, kudos to you though, you prompted a couple of us to just go forward and make a feature. Of which I'm sure will grant you a "Special Thanks" in the credits. So this initial concept of yours did succeed in some form or fashion. Thank you for planting the seed and continuing your support of independent cinema. :)

My intention was to get everyone who has talked about making a film to go out there and make one, finally. I wanted to get people excited and get them jumped into the process, but I don't know if I will be able to coordinate another one as I go into pre-production on Deadlands 3 this fall.

DrSiN
15-Jun-2009, 04:37 PM
Shame, hopefully some people will turn in some shorts. I'm in prepro for a hopefully fall shoot so I didn't have time to crank out something.

Captain_Amazing
16-Jun-2009, 05:00 AM
I probably won't have it in on time, which blows. My video clips in Sony Vegas retain their audio, but the picture is just black. Plus my director walked out becuase he thought that someone who was bit by a zombie can just die if it's convinient, and when everyone told him that that didn't make sense he said he "felt that his creative control had be compromised" argh.... Directors...:mad: I'll try to get it together, but it probably won't happen. In hindsight, that was a terrible way to waste $80...:annoyed:

MinionZombie
16-Jun-2009, 10:12 AM
I probably won't have it in on time, which blows. My video clips in Sony Vegas retain their audio, but the picture is just black. Plus my director walked out becuase he thought that someone who was bit by a zombie can just die if it's convinient, and when everyone told him that that didn't make sense he said he "felt that his creative control had be compromised" argh.... Directors...:mad: I'll try to get it together, but it probably won't happen. In hindsight, that was a terrible way to waste $80...:annoyed:
Are you sure you don't accidentally have the video track set to a compositing mode, rather than "source alpha"?

It's one of the buttons on the left side of the screen which has some buttons and twiddly bits for each video track.

Captain_Amazing
16-Jun-2009, 05:21 PM
Unfortunately I do have it set to "Source Code Alpha". This is apparently a common problem on 64 bit computers running Vegas, and yet I can't seem to find help on using Google:(

MinionZombie
16-Jun-2009, 05:24 PM
Unfortunately I do have it set to "Source Code Alpha". This is apparently a common problem on 64 bit computers running Vegas, and yet I can't seem to find help on using Google:(
64bit eh?

Which version are you using of Vegas? A newer Version would help perhaps - try Googling up info on "Sony Vegas 64bit version compatible" or something along those lines.

I recently got a new rig, but stuck to 32bit to avoid any potential problems with my most commonly used softwares (which aren't 64bit compatible, my versions at least, I'm too lazy and stubborn to upgrade :p).

Captain_Amazing
16-Jun-2009, 07:30 PM
I'm using Vegas Pro 8.0

I'm seriously considering downgrading to 32Bit... I've had a lot of problems with 64 bit... then again it could be my camera because this has happened when I was using XP. But that doesn't make much sense because I can still view the unedited clips fine... *sigh* I am using the Windows 7 beta so I'm not sure if this is a OS error, but I doubt it.

DjfunkmasterG
17-Jun-2009, 12:01 PM
Vegas 8 has not been confirmed for Windows 7. I use Vegas 8 as well, and it is buggy for Windows 7 you should go back to XP and re-edit and render from there.

Just save your vegas save file so you can bring your files back up in the editor once you re-install.

Captain_Amazing
17-Jun-2009, 06:07 PM
Yeah I'm getting a laptop soon, so I'll just edit on there. I really like Windows 7, but it is a beta so I knew problems might come up.

DrSiN
17-Jun-2009, 06:14 PM
Hmm, I'm using the 64bit version of Vegas on Vista 64 and I've had no problems. It's much faster than the 32bit version when working with HD video.

kchertu
23-Jun-2009, 03:41 PM
Maybe we should have a contest for the features that came out of this contest... haha

Speaking of, a sneak peak at what's to come for the website for my feature that spawned from this contest is up, twitter is up, and the first 2 posters are ready. Please have a look and gimme some feedback please.

www.hellonearthmovie.com
www.twitter.com/zombiemovie

Here's a poster and another one can be found under the promo section on the site:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3323/3652602878_ebaf275715.jpg

EvilNed
15-Jul-2009, 01:08 PM
I'd like to point out that I DID get my zombie short done, but it is longer than 10 minutes. It's 15, so it's therefore disqualified. :p

feedingharry
23-Sep-2009, 12:16 AM
I have a 30 minute short..www.youtube.com/user/fallendogfilms

its called "feeding harry"..if you would like to check it out.