PDA

View Full Version : American Movie

MikePizzoff
19-Mar-2009, 05:24 PM
Any fans of this documentary? I personally think it's a great film and definitely one of the funniest fuckin movies I've ever seen.

Not only that, but for an aspiring amateur film-maker such as myself, I find this movie to be very inspiring. Actually, it can be inspiring for anybody. This dude has a dream and he sees through that it becomes a reality, through [brief] ups and [extreme] downs.

Although, I have heard people complain and trash-talk Mark Borchardt because he's broke and doesn't take care of his own three kids (although, that's mostly his wife's fault!) and he's an alcoholic, so "only a fool would be inspired by him". I find that statement to be foolish in itself. The movie isn't supposed to be focused on his legal status with his children or the fact that he has a drinking problem, it's focused on the fact that despite these obstacles (and many more) he's able to overcome everything and get his movie made.

HIGHLY recommended movie for anybody. Especially if you want to laugh your ass off. Someone once put it well: "It's as if Reiner, in his prime, had made this mockumentary... except it's real-life."

Wahsleety
19-Mar-2009, 08:33 PM
Coven is actually really good! To me one of the reasons I love American movie is that Mark is actually talented, not some salesman with a camera like many out there today.

MikePizzoff
19-Mar-2009, 09:07 PM
I agree. Mark truly knows what he's doing. His editing style and cinematography is actually really good, in my opinion. Albeit, his plots and dialogue might not be top-notch, but his work is certainly better than a lot of the independent crap that gets nation-wide distro these days.

However, for every one of us that thinks Mark is a good film-maker, there will always be one or two that completely disagree (usually for invalid reasons).

Wahsleety
19-Mar-2009, 09:32 PM
Yeah well thats just the way it is i guess. I dont hold his faults against him, they seem quite normal when it comes to artists. I'd like to see something new from him. Not sure what hes done since other than spots as himself on family guy and such.

clanglee
20-Mar-2009, 02:30 AM
Apparently he's directing another movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0401771/

Minerva_Zombi
20-Mar-2009, 08:28 AM
yeah i love this movie. its one of my faves. mark is also in a really good doc called horror business where he talks about how he lost his passion for film making and stuff. its very interesting. that doc also shows how talented mark really is because the other directors... are just god awful. lol.

Crappingbear
20-Mar-2009, 08:59 AM
yeah i love this movie. its one of my faves. mark is also in a really good doc called horror business where he talks about how he lost his passion for film making and stuff. its very interesting. that doc also shows how talented mark really is because the other directors... are just god awful. lol.

fun movie. The guitar player freind burned out on dope is a bit sad.

Mike70
22-Mar-2009, 02:35 AM
that's a pretty cool movie and damned funny in places too.

this gets my vote as best line in the whole flick:

Mark Borchardt: Seriously. Last night, man, I was so drunk, I was calling Morocco, man. Calling, trying to get to the Hotel Hilton at Tangiers in Casablanca, man. That's, I mean, that's, that's pathetic, man! Is that what you wanna do with your life? Suck down peppermint schnapps and try to call Morocco at two in the morning? That's senseless! But that's what happens, man.

totally priceless.

Eyebiter
22-Mar-2009, 02:43 AM
So did you try to call them? The number is 414-466-Mike. If he's home and he feels like it, he'll pick up.

MikePizzoff
22-Mar-2009, 04:57 AM
So did you try to call them? The number is 414-466-Mike. If he's home and he feels like it, he'll pick up.

...are you serious? I wouldn't mind having a conversation with Mike...

Wahsleety
25-Mar-2009, 10:34 PM
"Does everyone have brown gloves?"

PJoseph
26-Mar-2009, 08:29 AM
It's a great film. And for anyone who grew up in the midwest, the film really depicts the cold, gray early mornings.

pJ

MikePizzoff
26-Mar-2009, 08:34 AM
"Does everyone have brown gloves?"

"...and I promise I will always visit your grave... well, not always, but I'll visit it sometimes if I ever find it."