PDA

View Full Version : bill collecters

Tied2thetracks
25-Mar-2009, 10:45 AM
A friend of mine is defaulting on a loan for a lemon car. After 2 weeks a creditor came to her house. Is that legal?

Kaos
25-Mar-2009, 12:09 PM
I checked here: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre18.shtm

It looks like there is nothing that prohibits a visit by a collector (unless in that visit they violate one of the other rules.) Your state my have other rules regarding collection so you might want to look there. We have some legal types on the board who might know more specifics though.

Yojimbo
25-Mar-2009, 09:42 PM
A friend of mine is defaulting on a loan for a lemon car. After 2 weeks a creditor came to her house. Is that legal?
A friend of mine got her car reposessed after missing one payment, which was supposed to happen monthly. So I would guess that if they can repo at that point, a creditor showing up on your doorstep after a 2 week lapse would'nt be prohibited. Not that I am a lawyer who would know this sort of thing, though - for all I know it could be against the law - so please forgive me for talking out of my ass.

DeadJonas190
27-Mar-2009, 05:27 AM
I really don't know the laws in Wisconsin, but you may want to have your friend contact a lawyer. I know here in Michigan there are lemon laws in place to prevent such things from happening.