PDA

View Full Version : Women drivers

Andy
26-Mar-2009, 09:05 PM
4wT7zM8XgXQ

No offense to any women drivers here, we all know your as good as men drivers :lol:

fartpants
27-Mar-2009, 01:40 PM
better not laugh too hard or my missus wont drive me anywhere

SymphonicX
30-Mar-2009, 11:12 AM
Probably for the best fartpants!

hahaha only kidding.

No I've just been talking to a female colleague about this and we both agree the split is pretty equal in terms of bad drivers - I think what you'll most likely find is that women are more likely to get into "spatial" problems such as misjudging a reverse park or not alligning yourself properly to the ticket machine on entrance to a car park, but a guy is seemingly more likely to change lanes without looking or tear it up at 120mph down the motorway and flash and harass anyone travelling under 90mph...which is much worse and more dangerous.

Personally 50% of my bad road experiences have been men, 50% women, and some others I've caused myself through being an idiot new driver.

bassman
30-Mar-2009, 12:12 PM
You've got to give a round of applause to someone who can flip a vehicle over when only driving through a gate.:stunned:

MinionZombie
30-Mar-2009, 01:10 PM
Oh man, some of these really do make you go "wtf" quite genuinely.

Indeed - bad drivers on both sides, but for different reasons.

It's a medical fact that men are better at spatial awareness, but it's also a case that women aren't dripping with testosterone ... something which can lead to trouble when driving.

I consider myself a safe driver, even though in my heady days as a new driver I was probably not as careful as I should have been - a trait which has long since been rectified - I cannot abide speeders, nor people who dribble along a 60 at 40 or less and then continue at 40 through a 30 zone which is full of family housing and schools. :mad:

Some of those clips aren't clear if they're a woman driver though - like the 4x4 going into the frozen pond ... ... but the dude who parks the woman's car for her after several quite honestly woeful attempts, it hilarious.

That last one is funny ... I'd love to have that degree of car control.

Speaking of cars, I once had to navigate a left-hand drive car into a space at work and I simply couldn't do it - being that this is Britain where we drive on the left and the wheel is on the right side of the car. Amazing how a small shift in perspective changed everything - mind you, I was only in there briefly before giving up (didn't wanna scratch the customer's car obviously). Practice makes perfect - but in the right side I can negotiate tight spots rather well, I had to at that job as well - where, all but that one single vehicle, the vehicles were all proper right hand drive.

Where was I?

Nevermind, I've got a SModcast to listen to!

DjfunkmasterG
30-Mar-2009, 09:56 PM
Every clip in that video, except for the car sliding into the parking spot at the very end was a woman driver.

Where i live in maryland we have tons of REALLY FUCKING BAD asian drivers, and they are mostly women.

There are bad Male drivers, but I think the females out rank the men in bad driving.

Guys don't need to pack on make-up
Do their hair
Talk or text on a fucking cell phone.
Turn towards the passenger to have a conversation.

Oh the list can go on and on, but Some male drivers SUCK as well, but most of them are either teenagers or old farts who shouldn't be driving.

blind2d
31-Mar-2009, 12:58 AM
What was with the one with the gas station? That's not driving, that's pumping. Completely different. Whatever. Cool video, anyway.

SymphonicX
31-Mar-2009, 08:54 AM
Every clip in that video, except for the car sliding into the parking spot at the very end was a woman driver.

Where i live in maryland we have tons of REALLY FUCKING BAD asian drivers, and they are mostly women.

There are bad Male drivers, but I think the females out rank the men in bad driving.

Do their hair

Oh the list can go on and on, but Some male drivers SUCK as well, but most of them are either teenagers or old farts who shouldn't be driving.

Wow, such a stunning display of racism and sexism in one post....well done!

Didn't take long for this thread to walk one step down the ladder into purile jabbing, despite mine and MZs attempts at objectivity.

krakenslayer
31-Mar-2009, 09:57 AM
Do their hair

Haha, are you living in a world of Anchorman-style 1970s sexual stereotypes? That's awesome! :D

This is DJ when he becomes a big-shot Hollywood movie mogul: "Hey toots, wanna be in my movie? You'll get to wear a pretty dress and I'll even pay you - I'm sure you could use the extra money for clothes and make up."
Girl: "Really? Can I be a big star?"
DJ: "Dollface, you're gonna be a superstar. Now put yer pretty little tush in the passenger seat."
Girl: "You've been drinking. Are you sure you're okay to drive?"
DJ: "'Course I am, baby. I'm a MAN."
:lol::lol::lol:

SymphonicX
31-Mar-2009, 10:33 AM
lol

cue the door slamming, the safety locks engaged and a screaming blonde trying desperately to punch her hand through the light fixtures from inside the boot of his mustang....

Chic Freak
31-Mar-2009, 02:34 PM
In my experience, men and women are equally poor drivers but the poorness typically manifests itself in different ways.

Women: tend to make more dippy mistakes associated with either having poor spatial awareness (e.g. not being able to reverse into a bay) and/ or not paying attention to what they're doing (e.g. going into the back of someone because they were looking in the rearview mirror).

Men: tend to deliberately drive beyond their skill, e.g. speeding, racing other cars, driving one-handed etc. Hence they have more serious accidents and their insurance costs way more.

We all know that men tend to have better spatial awareness than women. This is directly associated with having more testosterone (as well as having more areas of the brain devoted to dealing with mathematical and spatial calculations). Experiments have shown that women injected with testosterone temporarily improve their performance at spatial tasks like map reading. (They go back to normal as their bodies redress their hormonal balance.)

It would then make logical sense that the average Asian woman's spatial awareness would be even poorer than the average white woman's as Asian people in general tend to have slightly lower testosterone levels than white people.

I have no idea whether any proper research has been carried out to test that hypothesis though! You'd need to get a bunch of different women and give them some sort of obstacle course to drive through, controlling for factors like what car they are used to driving, how long they'd been driving, etc.

MinionZombie
31-Mar-2009, 05:42 PM
Just watching the show "Britain's Worst Driver" (any series, any driver, any gender) says it all really - the distinct lack of personal and/or vehicle control beggars belief - how they acquired a license in the first place is astonishing.

I have to do the test twice (which seems to be the average in Britain - which I maintain is some kind of conspiracy to sucker more money out of people), meanwhile these numpties passed full stop, years or decades before I ever sat behind the wheel (i.e. when tests were easier). Mind you, tests are even harder these days.

Anyway, interesting you mention one-handed driving - I do that - but not always. It's always to do with context - e.g. dual carridgeway driving is basically foot down/drive straight/gentle slight curve now and then - so one-hand is fine ... or the other lingers at the bottom of the wheel for back-up.

Driving at gentle speeds - again, one handed is just fine when not a lot of wheel use is required. Also, slow speed spatial negotiation - like going around "five ways" in town (two small round abouts with several junctions) requires a change from 1st to 2nd, so you have to get the old "wax on, wax off" palm movement going - ideal technique for swift traversing of such obstacles.

Again - anything to do with parking or reversing, one hand - especially with reversing - you need your other hand/arm to grab the back of the passenger seat to help bring you around.

Meanwhile - country roads, motorways, high speeds - two hands always.

In terms of people speeding - it's really got to be down to education, and hammering home a message to people - I've long since been a strict "keep to the speed limit" dude, i.e. I don't go over it, and also, I don't dawdle around like a lost hamster.

Confident, but safe driving essentially.

With speeding, I think of people like that rich kid last year who was doing a preposterous speed in a residential area and smashed into a kid - the kid (a toddler) survived, but is now totally brain damaged and requires a machine to breathe for her - all because that c*nt nugget was speeding.

It quite simply, is NOT worth it. That's the message that needs hammering home, nevermind the gimmicky adverts you always see on TV (for speeding, drinking etc) - it's always a gimmick, and that distracts from the message.

If I was doing the adverts - I'd say "fuck squeamishness", and just flat out show photos and video of REAL accidents with the cold, hard, bare-faced facts about what happened and why - THAT is an advert to make people wake up - none of this "oh the pub table is a car" or "the barman has several voices telling one man's life story after drink-driving" or whatever - all gimmicks that distract from the message.

Cold, hard, real facts - shock some fucking sense into the stupid morons who speed around on the roads like it's Silverstone, and shock some sense also into the numpties who have absolutely no car control - if you can't control a car, you don't belong in one - fuck off out of the way, take the license back, put them on a bloody bus and leave the roads for safe, competent drivers!

:rant:

Rant over ... got off on one, but that's how I feel about whatever I just ranted. :|

darth los
31-Mar-2009, 05:46 PM
Haha, are you living in a world of Anchorman-style 1970s sexual stereotypes? That's awesome! :D

Well, stereotypes become stereotypes for a reason. The same groups of people keep engaging in the same behavior to a point where it's safe to assume that the percentages are in your favor when you make a statement like that.

My point is is it racist/sexist if it's true?

:cool:

Chic Freak
31-Mar-2009, 05:54 PM
My point is is it racist/sexist if it's true?

It's racist/ sexist if you are making a judgement on someone based on their race/ sex and not their actual behaviour.

blind2d
01-Apr-2009, 01:41 AM
So... maybe. Anyway, everybody sucks. Let's leave it at that.

SymphonicX
04-Apr-2009, 01:34 PM
I drive with one hand all the time....except when it's busy or on a residential street - if I'm bombing down the motorway I don't use my hands at all, one hand on the handbrake, one hanging outside the window - the road usually takes you in the direction you want to go so the car turns itself really. It's only when I need to steer round tight corners do I get KIT to take control of itself, he's a good chap. I keep shunting the red stripey light on the front of it, and KIT keeps complaining but it's all good - Trans Ams are easy to service and KIT always knows what's wrong with himself.

Yojimbo
04-Apr-2009, 04:41 PM
It's racist/ sexist if you are making a judgement on someone based on their race/ sex and not their actual behaviour.
As an Asian-American who drives, I thank you.