PDA

View Full Version : Fidel Castro in Dawn?

strayrider
28-Mar-2009, 11:31 PM
I'm not sure, but it kinda looks like him.

Roger and Peter are in the maintenance office, switching on the music and displays. Fran runs into the store room saying: "Stephen!" This is followed by an overhead shot of the silver hatchback car. On the far left side of the screen is a bearded zombie who appears to wearing olive drab fatigues and a green cap of some sort. It looks like Fidel to me. This is at 34:18 in the time line.

I'm not saying it is, or not, but I remember reading somewhere that Romero claimed some Cuban heritage. I'm wondering if this is maybe a tongue in cheek "cameo", kinda like Romero's brief appearance as the Santa biker later in the film.

:D

-stray-

MaximusIncredulous
29-Mar-2009, 04:27 AM
A pic woulda been nice :D

Now I have to go though the trouble of getting the disc, putting it in my player, waiting for it to play, wait for the sailboat to go away, wait for the menu (boom boom) to let me press play, sit though the Dolby Digital logo, skip to that time code, wait for the scene, and, finally, look for Fidel.

Oh God, the work :dead:

Anyways, I did it for ya :D

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/2228/fidely.jpg

Looks kinda scrawny for him but it could be some sort of homage to El Jefe, minus the cigar.

strayrider
29-Mar-2009, 05:46 AM
A pic woulda been nice :D

Call me stupid if you wish, but I don't know how to capture pics from video.

and YES that is the zom I was speaking of ... thanks ... fiend ...

-stray-

ps -- hey, at least I included the time code.

MaximusIncredulous
29-Mar-2009, 06:29 AM
No problemo.

As for pic captures, it's easy. Just press the Prt Sc button on your keyboard and then paste into the picture app of your choice.

archivesofthede
29-Mar-2009, 03:22 PM
https://plus3.safe-order.net/mjvar/images/17495.jpg

It's signed by GAR?!?! :D

MikePizzoff
31-Mar-2009, 05:44 AM
:lol: I've noticed that zombie before, too. Good eye, Stray.

I'd assume it's definitely a tongue-in-cheek thing George threw in there for fun. Perhaps that zombie was intended to get slightly more on-screen time, however was cut?

darth los
31-Mar-2009, 06:28 PM
:lol: I've noticed that zombie before, too. Good eye, Stray.

I'd assume it's definitely a tongue-in-cheek thing George threw in there for fun. Perhaps that zombie was intended to get slightly more on-screen time, however was cut?

I think you be right on bro! Anyone dressed or seen dressed like that would have drawn immediate comparisons to castro, especially in that day and age. The resemblance is just too great to ignore or deny for that matter.

That's like saying the the Hare Krishna zombie really isn't one at all even though he's dressed exactly like one. :lol:

:cool:

Yojimbo
31-Mar-2009, 06:30 PM
I think you be right on bro! Anyone dressed or seen dressed like that would have drawn immediate comparisons to castro, especially in that day and age. The resemblance is just too great to ignore or deny for that matter.

That's like saying the the Hare Krishna zombie really isn't one at all even though he's dressed exactly like one. :lol:

Agreed, there is no way that was an accident.

AcesandEights
31-Mar-2009, 07:00 PM

I agree it's probably not an accident...I wonder if anyone would even remember to be able to verify this, though or whether there was a sound reason behind it or if it was just a lark. I find conjecture and contradictions abound when this stuff gets asked about. :(

Maybe Philly has heard something. Then again, show that screen cap to Philly and he's likely to come up with a theory about the chopper having flown all the way to Cuba :rolleyes:

darth los
31-Mar-2009, 08:05 PM
I agree it's probably not an accident...I wonder if anyone would even remember to be able to verify this, though or whether there was a sound reason behind it or if it was just a lark. I find conjecture and contradictions abound when this stuff gets asked about. :(

Maybe Philly has heard something. Then again, show that screen cap to Philly and he's likely to come up with a theory about the chopper having flown all the way to Cuba :rolleyes:

The scary thing is you're probably right about philly on that one. :p :lol:

My guess is that there's no way they would remember. If you ever saw the commentary with GAR, Chris and Savini in the Ultimate Edition They struggle to remember even, what we woild consider, the simplest things about the making of that film, so don't expect too much on that front. :(

strayrider
02-Apr-2009, 06:30 PM
Just to the right of "Castro" is Tom Savini in his "wino that falls into the fountain and picks up a couple of handfuls of pennies" costume. Maybe he might remember?

Looking at this picture again, I'm starting to think it might just be one of the mall janitors that got into the action on that particular night's shooting. I dunno.

-stray-

AcesandEights
02-Apr-2009, 06:46 PM
Looking at this picture again, I'm starting to think it might just be one of the mall janitors that got into the action on that particular night's shooting. I dunno.

But then the real question is: was Senor Janitor a friend of la revolucion cubana? ;)

But seriously, good thinking, Stray. Could be a janitor, I suppose.

DubiousComforts
02-Apr-2009, 07:15 PM
Just to the right of "Castro" is Tom Savini in his "wino that falls into the fountain and picks up a couple of handfuls of pennies" costume. Maybe he might remember?
I believe the "wino" that flips over the railing into the fountain was played by Taso Stavrakis, not Tom Savini.

Doesn't the same bearded guy in military fatigues show up in the freezer scene sans cap?

MoonSylver
02-Apr-2009, 07:39 PM
I believe the "wino" that flips over the railing into the fountain was played by Taso Stavrakis, not Tom Savini.

I believe you are correct.

Good catch on Castro...seems WAY to similar to be a coincidence.

darth los
02-Apr-2009, 08:56 PM
I believe you are correct.

Good catch on Castro...seems WAY to similar to be a coincidence.

Doesn't the same bearded guy in military fatigues show up in the freezer scene sans cap?

I'm thinking that the green fatigues could actually be another color but it just looks green because of the lighting in that shot. Does it appear in any other scene in the movie?

I could have sworn that I heard Savini say somewhere that he painted all the zombie's faces white, but the lighting effects in different scenes made them look blue/green.

MoonSylver
02-Apr-2009, 09:07 PM
I could have sworn that I heard Savini say somewhere that he painted all the zombie's faces white, but the lighting effects in different scenes made them look blue/green.

True, IIRC it was supposed to be grey, but point taken.

capncnut
02-Apr-2009, 09:07 PM
Fidel castro? F**k me, when it comes to Dawn, I've seen Che Guevara, William Burroughs and Jesus H. Christ... :D

MikePizzoff
02-Apr-2009, 10:00 PM

Crap. You may be right. Staring at it makes me think it could easily be a 1-piece jumpsuit. It could also actually be a blue and just look green from the type of film used and/or lighting (as Darth mentions).

You're right, but I'm pretty positive Savini painted them grey, not white.

triste realtà
02-Apr-2009, 10:36 PM
I think he said grey pancake makeup and he likes to say it as if it's the most stunning revelation in the world and no matter how many times he says it he says it the same way. Believe me, that's all it looks like!

I think Hell of the Living Dead did it ten times better anyway.

strayrider
03-Apr-2009, 12:02 AM

Quite possibly. I stand corrected.

Not this guy obviously.

http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/picture.php?albumid=22&pictureid=247

I always figured that before I locked this one up in the freezer, I would've gone through his pockets looking for dope. Heck, he might've have had a OZ of "the funk" on him. :D

Maybe this one.

http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/picture.php?albumid=22&pictureid=248

You can't see it in this particular capture, but this guy does have a beard. I think, though, that this is a black guy, while the DeCastro zom appears to be a white guy.

-stray-

MaximusIncredulous
03-Apr-2009, 02:08 AM
http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/picture.php?albumid=22&pictureid=248

You can't see it in this particular capture, but this guy does have a beard. I think, though, that this is a black guy, while the DeCastro zom appears to be a white guy.

Interesting that they're both wearing similar styles of jumpsuit. Maybe they both worked for the same garage as mechanics.

MapMan
10-Apr-2009, 10:49 AM
I think he is wearing army mechanic coveralls.....the summer version. We were issued winter and summer sets in the Cold War days. I still have a pair. Still it is an interesting observation.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b27/NaTeSgIrL/zombie.jpghttp://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c203/holyshititschristmas/zombie.jpg