PDA

View Full Version : Welcome Gary Streiner HPOTD Member!

Yojimbo
30-Mar-2009, 04:03 PM
I have heard through the grapevine that Mr. Gary Streiner, who worked with GAR on the original NOLD 68, has joined our boards.

Since a quick search did not reveal any official welcome of this legendary presence, I thought that I would kick this off and say to Mr. Streiner that it is a great honor to have him as a member and I look forward to reading his posts!

Welcome Gary Streiner!!!!!

bassman
30-Mar-2009, 04:06 PM
Who's Gary Streiner?:confused:

:p

Yojimbo
30-Mar-2009, 04:15 PM
Bassman, Streiner is one of the original investors for NOLD68, who also rolled up his sleeves and worked with George during the several month NOLD shoot in PA. Dubious has pointed out that this may be the first occasion where someone who worked on George's film has become a member.

NOTE: After doing a second, more careful search, I found mention of Gary's membership under a different post, so my apologies to the board for being duplicative. Once I figure out how to insert a link, I will do so here.

Phenia Films
30-Mar-2009, 04:24 PM
these kids today i tell yah..

Gary Streiner and his 'Night of the Living Dead' annual film festival make your plans for Halloween 2009

www.thelivingdeadfest.com v:evil:

"Welcome to the camp Mr Streiner"
(the HPOTD camp that is)

bassman
30-Mar-2009, 04:27 PM
Bassman, Streiner is one of the original investors for NOLD68, who also rolled up his sleeves and worked with George during the several month NOLD shoot in PA. Dubious has pointed out that this may be the first occasion where someone who worked on George's film has become a member.

http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2008/8/16/633545257951222903-regretsthosewerethedroidsyouwerelookingfordemotiva tor.jpg

AcesandEights
30-Mar-2009, 04:30 PM
Yeah, I saw the thread where this was initially mentioned, but I'm glad a separate welcome thread was made.

In any event, welcome Mr. Streiner! Very cool of you to register. :)

Edit: :lol: Hilarious image, Bassmam. We've all been there before.

Yojimbo
30-Mar-2009, 04:50 PM
Bassman, I stole that jpeg from you for my desktop wallpaper. Hilarious, brother!

Debbieangel
30-Mar-2009, 09:48 PM
WELCOME MR. STEINER !!!
I have to tell you I saw NOTLD when I was a young girl in '68 and it started my love for the zombies ever since.
:)

archivesofthede
30-Mar-2009, 09:55 PM
Bassman, remember I will go to great lengths to defend the Empire and Stormtroopers. Don't mess with Imperial Army! Post with care!

:evil:

Oh, welcome Gary. :D

Shadowofthedead
30-Mar-2009, 10:18 PM
so whats this guys name display name i mean wheres his appearence here or am i to concerned with auto parts at auto zone. any who welcome some important guy.:moon:

DubiousComforts
30-Mar-2009, 11:46 PM
so whats this guys name display name i mean wheres his appearence here or am i to concerned with auto parts at auto zone. any who welcome some important guy.:moon:
The original thread where Gary posted is located here (http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?t=13364) but there was some minor confusion and this appreciation thread sprung up all on it's own.

That's cool -- people are just excited over someone from the original film that started it all reaching out to fans on this forum. Be sure to keep on spreading the love. :D

DawnGirl27
31-Mar-2009, 12:22 AM
Welcome, sir! ;)

gary
31-Mar-2009, 01:30 AM
Thanks for the welcome folks. I can't tell you guys how cool it is for me to have moved on to other interests in my life 40 years ago and now come back to this great welcome. I really enjoy the people who don't know know me but will get to know me because of my attachment to a legend.
What was I thinking for all those years? I was beating my head against the corporate structure when I could have been basking in these warm welcomes.
Sorry for throwing everybody off by using my actual name I'm so old school with things like that.

GXXY

MoonSylver
31-Mar-2009, 01:40 AM
Thanks for the welcome folks. I can't tell you guys how cool it is for me to have moved on to other interests in my life 40 years ago and now come back to this great welcome. I really enjoy the people who don't know know me but will get to know me because of my attachment to a legend.
What was I thinking for all those years? I was beating my head against the corporate structure when I could have been basking in these warm welcomes.

Wow, welcome aboard! Next time you see Russ, tell him I LOVE his performance in NOTLD. I think it stand tight up there with any of the professional actors. (Same goes for all the other "amateur" actors in the film)

Sorry for throwing everybody off by using my actual name I'm so old school with things like that.

:lol:

MikePizzoff
31-Mar-2009, 05:42 AM
Welcome! It's about time an actual "trilogy" person has joined!!!

SymphonicX
31-Mar-2009, 07:11 AM
Hey Gary, welcome to the board.

strayrider
01-Apr-2009, 12:25 AM
Welcome! It's about time an actual "trilogy" person has joined!!!

Wait a minute, I seem to remember Kyra Schon posting on the old, old disc.app board. I could be quite wrong about this. Any of the old timers remember this?

Anyway, welcome Gary! Perhaps you might post a "behind the scenes" story or two?

:D

-stray-

clanglee
01-Apr-2009, 12:39 AM

GXXY

How dare you not come in here with a crazy madeup name like us!!! May I suggest Meatlock5000. . . it appears available at this time. . . .

;)

Welcome Gary. It means a lot to us to have you around.

MapMan
01-Apr-2009, 02:13 AM
Welcome Sir

I found my neighbor murdered today. He was naked laying outside his front door. It was really strange...he had corn flakes and milk poured all over him and a banana sticking out his ass.

The cops think it is a cereal killer.

wayzim
02-Apr-2009, 01:26 PM

GXXY

None of us are getting any younger, heh, as my own handle shows.
Still, welcome to the asylum.

Wayne Z
" What had started as the Summer of Love, ended with a Fall which took an already torn national psyche and fed it; bit by bit, to a collective which honored no flag nor philosophy, save one.
As flowers faded before the shortening sun, trees bared themselves to an approaching autumn chill, something stirred on the air. In isolated hamlet, in the narrow alleyways and broad avenues of larger metropolis, awakening to a time when all other things looked toward winter slumber, Dead things walked. "
DeadFall: Fools on The Hill.

gary
02-Apr-2009, 01:33 PM
MMMMM i'm liking MEETHOOK5000 :elol:

no I got it MeetHook68 Now how do I change my login name?

This is it "MeetHook68" now how can I change my log in name?

I'm also taking submissions for a pic to match this name.

Trin
02-Apr-2009, 02:05 PM
Well it's better than MeatGazer. :eek:

I second the request for stories of old!!! Tell us a story Uncle Gary!! Tell us a story!!

And welcome... :)

DubiousComforts
02-Apr-2009, 04:27 PM
I second the request for stories of old!!! Tell us a story Uncle Gary!! Tell us a story!!
Yeah! Tell us a story, like how Tony Pantanella got the nickname "Boom Boom" :D

gary
06-Apr-2009, 05:22 PM
So you want a story do you? Well I don’t have an answer for Dubious Comfort’s question about Boom Boom I can only imagine it came from his rather perpetual desire to blow things up. But in a most adult fashion of course. I’ll try to get the real skinny on that one from Boom Boom and get back to you.
But as for a story…
I can’t think about the production of NIGHT without getting a really strong vision of Vincent D. Survinski. Vince was (although at the time I didn’t realize it) a father figure to me, the perfect roll-model. I so respected Vince’s ability to do almost anything. Vince taught me to just dive in and do it, have no fear, use your head and you will be OK. Vince was not only our Bookkeeper but at the same time our Set Builder. He was the guy that got the old pump going on the water well at the house so that in this rather middle of nowhere location we had great tasting water and flush toilets. The comforts that everyone took for granted but the Vince masterminded. Yet he never looked for credit, but he had this smile that made you understand he was happier to get the pump working than you were. Vince was a total doer rather a talker and I say without him the film would not have been the same. His Spirit is all over this movie.
This might not be the story you were looking for but it’s what came out when I sat down to my computer.
I might not be the most punctual person at keeping this thread moving but not for a lack of interest, it’s just because I’m trying to get my act together for Chiller and time is of the essence. Once I get past Chiller I will be back to working the Living Dead Festival site in a big way. That’s where I can use all of your help! I want to hear from you guys and gals about things you might like to see at the festival this year, what would get you to come to Evans City this Halloween to celebrate this classic film? BTW the Website suggestion box is open as well. I have been blessed with the honor and the challenge of building a Fan Hang that could at some point in the future be as cultist as the film itself. Big shoes to fill I know but with your support!!~
Let’s Kick Some Horror again this year,
Gary

Yojimbo
06-Apr-2009, 05:29 PM
So you want a story do you? Well I don’t have an answer for Dubious Comfort’s question about Boom Boom I can only imagine it came from his rather perpetual desire to blow things up. But in a most adult fashion of course. I’ll try to get the real skinny on that one from Boom Boom and get back to you.
But as for a story…
I can’t think about the production of NIGHT without getting a really strong vision of Vincent D. Survinski. Vince was (although at the time I didn’t realize it) a father figure to me, the perfect roll-model. I so respected Vince’s ability to do almost anything. Vince taught me to just dive in and do it, have no fear, use your head and you will be OK. Vince was not only our Bookkeeper but at the same time our Set Builder. He was the guy that got the old pump going on the water well at the house so that in this rather middle of nowhere location we had great tasting water and flush toilets. The comforts that everyone took for granted but the Vince masterminded. Yet he never looked for credit, but he had this smile that made you understand he was happier to get the pump working than you were. Vince was a total doer rather a talker and I say without him the film would not have been the same. His Spirit is all over this movie.
This might not be the story you were looking for but it’s what came out when I sat down to my computer.
I might not be the most punctual person at keeping this thread moving but not for a lack of interest, it’s just because I’m trying to get my act together for Chiller and time is of the essence. Once I get past Chiller I will be back to working the Living Dead Festival site in a big way. That’s where I can use all of your help! I want to hear from you guys and gals about things you might like to see at the festival this year, what would get you to come to Evans City this Halloween to celebrate this classic film? BTW the Website suggestion box is open as well. I have been blessed with the honor and the challenge of building a Fan Hang that could at some point in the future be as cultist as the film itself. Big shoes to fill I know but with your support!!~
Let’s Kick Some Horror again this year,
Gary

Thanks, Gary, for sharing your recollections about Mr. Survinski and "Boom-Boom"

If you ever need a volunteer to add to your minions, hit me up. Though I don't know how I can help, I am willing to lend a hand in any way I can.

Thanks again!

Wait a minute, I seem to remember Kyra Schon posting on the old, old disc.app board. I could be quite wrong about this. Any of the old timers remember this?

Anyway, welcome Gary! Perhaps you might post a "behind the scenes" story or two?

-stray-

Yeah, someone should make Kyra join up - Kyra Schon Rules too!

gary
06-Apr-2009, 05:45 PM
Hey did you guys catch this?

http://damesofthedead.blogspot.com/
g

g

sorry for the double post I'm trying to walk and chew gum at the same time.
g

AcesandEights
06-Apr-2009, 06:08 PM

g

This is the first I'm seeing of this. Thanks, Gary!

Whoohoo! The Dames of the Dead (Judy O'Dea and Kyra Schon) finally have a space to post Dames-related thoughts and pictures, mad ramblings, nasty rumors and spoilers to movies and books (not really). I can't wait to tell the Joodstress what a wondrous thing I've created with the aid of modern technowizardry.

Stay tuned for mayhem and merriment.

xo,
K-Dame

Hehe, very cool. I'll do a read through of what they've put on there and register to comment and show some support.

gary
06-Apr-2009, 06:40 PM
Hehe, very cool. I'll do a read through of what they've put it on there and register to comment and show some support.

Yea I will do the same? Hopefully we can all have some fun over there.

MoonSylver
06-Apr-2009, 10:37 PM
MMMMM i'm liking MEETHOOK5000 :elol:

no I got it MeetHook68 Now how do I change my login name?

This is it "MeetHook68" now how can I change my log in name?

I'm also taking submissions for a pic to match this name.

I'm thinking it should be the screen cap of you in the Meathook Trio pic that was posted. After all, who's more entitled to you that pic than YOU are!:)

Moon Knight
07-Apr-2009, 02:35 AM
Welcome, sir. Glad to have you around. :D

Trencher
07-Apr-2009, 04:29 AM
Awesome to see people from the real movie here! Cool story too, its interesting to hear.
If I can ask you a question, I would like to know your thoughts on how it is to have been part of creating a movie that means so incredibly much to people from all over the world. Take care and thanks.

And you might want to tell the Dames of the dead that its not possible to comment on their blog.

Trin
07-Apr-2009, 07:39 PM
That was a very cool story indeed Gary. And I second Trencher's question!!

gary
08-Apr-2009, 02:49 PM
Hehe, very cool. I'll do a read through of what they've put on there and register to comment and show some support.

That was a very cool story indeed Gary. And I second Trencher's question!!

Awesome to see people from the real movie here! Cool story too, its interesting to hear.
If I can ask you a question, I would like to know your thoughts on how it is to have been part of creating a movie that means so incredibly much to people from all over the world. Take care and thanks.

And you might want to tell the Dames of the dead that its not possible to comment on their blog.

This is a really hard question to answer but I’ll do my best. You have to understand I was 15 at the time this all started, 17 when we were shooting Night, so the whole thing was a bit surreal to begin with. The fact that I was working on a motion picture hadn’t really set in let alone did I have any idea it would become a Cult Classic. I didn’t even know what that term meant at that point and I think I could say that for the rest of the guys. We were very serious about shooting this film and at my young age I was very dedicated to the group and wanted to be as much help as I could be to the project. I wasn’t into second guessing the creative aspects of the film that was the older guy’s domain. I was primarily a worker bee along with guys like Vince Survinski. Not to say there was that great of a division I mean everyone worked but it was a small group that dealt with the story if you will. I was working with my buddies we were having fun. I think that was when I learned I wanted to be doing things rather than just talking about them. That was primarily why I was at the Latent Image in the first place. These guys were older and they were doing thing as opposed to my friends who were really just talking about them. I was really proud to be doing something other than working in the mill. Pittsburgh was still a big steel town at that point and that's where lots of people ended up. The closest film making was done in New York over 400 miles away. Film wasn’t totally magic to me because of the commercial work The Latent Image had been doing. We were a fairly well oiled unit by the time we got to Night having shot many TV commercials and other long form projects. There was lots of doubt as to whether Night would ever find a distributor and ultimately the public but Walter Reade came through with a deal and it would be up to the people to decide. The time between making the film and getting it in front of the public was a very up and down period to say the least. Even after its release it sure didn’t soar to the top of the charts. If it had been released in modern times it would probably never made it because it would have been gone before people found it. So now we are a year or so into it and still no Real success. I certainly wondered whether I would ever get my 600 bucks back! Then word of mouth started to take over and people kept coming to the theater and as best I can remember it was the Readers Digest article that put it over the top. People said they would forgive the grainy black and white look because it flat out scared them. It felt great to know it was working on the level it was designed. I remember the Image Ten getting letters from people in Europe saying they had seen it 11 times and love it. It was playing in Art Theaters over there and that’s when I started feeling a pride of accomplishment. That went on for some time before I realized I hadn’t made much more than my 600 bucks back so from an economic stand point it wasn’t all that rewarding and at my young age never felt it hadn’t reached the Classic Status it has today. I guess it took a lifetime of complements and comparisons, even up to the point of your question to make me understand how proud I am to have been a part of it. I have been all over the world and when people find out I was involved with Night they know about the film and can talk about it. Certainty coming back to Evans City and starting the festival has given me the biggest boost of pride. I have never been closer to the fans that made it the Classic it is and that’s a real rush for me. I am constantly amazed how it bridged generations to be just as popular with 20 year olds as it was for my generation in the late 60” and early 70’s. In many ways Night of the Living Dead is the American Dream and I’m living it. I would be ungrateful not be proud.

krakenslayer
08-Apr-2009, 02:57 PM
This is a really hard question to answer but I’ll do my best. You have to understand I was 15 at the time this all started, 17 when we were shooting Night, so the whole thing was a bit surreal to begin with. The fact that I was working on a motion picture hadn’t really set in let alone did I have any idea it would become a Cult Classic. I didn’t even know what that term meant at that point and I think I could say that for the rest of the guys. We were very serious about shooting this film and at my young age I was very dedicated to the group and wanted to be as much help as I could be to the project. I wasn’t into second guessing the creative aspects of the film that was the older guy’s domain. I was primarily a worker bee along with guys like Vince Survinski. Not to say there was that great of a division I mean everyone worked but it was a small group that dealt with the story if you will. I was working with my buddies we were having fun. I think that was when I learned I wanted to be doing things rather than just talking about them. That was primarily why I was at the Latent Image in the first place. These guys were older and they were doing thing as opposed to my friends who were really just talking about them. I was really proud to be doing something other than working in the mill. Pittsburgh was still a big steel town at that point and that's where lots of people ended up. The closest film making was done in New York over 400 miles away. Film wasn’t totally magic to me because of the commercial work The Latent Image had been doing. We were a fairly well oiled unit by the time we got to Night having shot many TV commercials and other long form projects. There was lots of doubt as to whether Night would ever find a distributor and ultimately the public but Walter Reade came through with a deal and it would be up to the people to decide. The time between making the film and getting it in front of the public was a very up and down period to say the least. Even after its release it sure didn’t soar to the top of the charts. If it had been released in modern times it would probably never made it because it would have been gone before people found it. So now we are a year or so into it and still no Real success. I certainly wondered whether I would ever get my 600 bucks back! Then word of mouth started to take over and people kept coming to the theater and as best I can remember it was the Readers Digest article that put it over the top. People said they would forgive the grainy black and white look because it flat out scared them. It felt great to know it was working on the level it was designed. I remember the Image Ten getting letters from people in Europe saying they had seen it 11 times and love it. It was playing in Art Theaters over there and that’s when I started feeling a pride of accomplishment. That went on for some time before I realized I hadn’t made much more than my 600 bucks back so from an economic stand point it wasn’t all that rewarding and at my young age never felt it hadn’t reached the Classic Status it has today. I guess it took a lifetime of complements and comparisons, even up to the point of your question to make me understand how proud I am to have been a part of it. I have been all over the world and when people find out I was involved with Night they know about the film and can talk about it. Certainty coming back to Evans City and starting the festival has given me the biggest boost of pride. I have never been closer to the fans that made it the Classic it is and that’s a real rush for me. I am constantly amazed how it bridged generations to be just as popular with 20 year olds as it was for my generation in the late 60” and early 70’s. In many ways Night of the Living Dead is the American Dream and I’m living it. I would be ungrateful not be proud.

Wow! A great post and a real insight. Nice one, gary.

Yojimbo
08-Apr-2009, 08:33 PM
Wow! A great post and a real insight. Nice one, gary.
I agree. Great insider info! Thanks again, Gary- YOU RULE!

MoonSylver
08-Apr-2009, 10:27 PM
I agree. Great insider info! Thanks again, Gary- YOU RULE!

I'll 3rd that. Love your avatar Gary, btw. ;)

Trencher
09-Apr-2009, 07:28 AM
Thank you for your great reply Gary. I think that the doing instead of talking attitude really shows off in the film.

gary
09-Apr-2009, 12:30 PM
Another tidbit for those who didn't see it.

http://dayofwoman.blogspot.com/2009/04/woman-of-week-kyra-schon.html:D

Phenia Films
09-Apr-2009, 01:04 PM
Gary,
page seemed to have 'left the building' :shifty:

JB

DubiousComforts
09-Apr-2009, 02:17 PM
^ Here's the link: Kyra Schon (http://dayofwoman.blogspot.com/2009/04/woman-of-week-kyra-schon.html)

An emoticon got in the way. :D

AcesandEights
09-Apr-2009, 02:22 PM
Probably refering to the bit about Kira Schon being Woman of the Week on that particular blog. Pan down to read from the direct link to the blog (http://dayofwoman.blogspot.com/).

Phenia Films
09-Apr-2009, 02:28 PM
Another tidbit for those who didn't see it.

http://dayofwoman.blogspot.com/2009/04/woman-of-week-kyra-schon.html:D

Found it.....
nice read :skull:

Danny Terror
09-Apr-2009, 03:03 PM
Ha! Ha!

"Who's Gary Streiner"? :lol:

Gary, welcome aboard, man ! Looking forward to meeting you.

DubiousComforts
09-Apr-2009, 05:13 PM
Gary, welcome aboard, man ! Looking forward to meeting you.
Forget it, Gary! Once you meet Danny Terror, you'll wish you had never heard of George Romero. :D

gary
09-Apr-2009, 11:02 PM
Forget it, Gary! Once you meet Danny Terror, you'll wish you had never heard of George Romero. :D

Do I need to think about bringing extra cash? LOL :D

Be nice if I learned how to use the forum!!~
When I do I will qualify to be a Meathook Bad Ass.

Danny Terror
13-Apr-2009, 03:47 PM
[QUOTE=gary;184086]Do I need to think about bringing extra cash? LOL :D

:lol: No Gary beers are on me. Yeah man. Jim's right :

You'll really wish you never got involved with NIGHT after we three hang around !!! I promise lots of laughs and Incessant stupid questions and Alcohol consumption. :blood:

mista_mo
13-Apr-2009, 07:47 PM
never heard of him. Was he in the movies?

ohhhh, wait, he played Ben in NOTLD rite?

Yojimbo
15-Apr-2009, 09:05 PM
I am so godamned jealous of you folks who will be able to attend this convention. Godamned jealous, I say, since I can't be there (lack of funds and lack of time)

Have a great time, folks, and please have an extra round of beers and think of me!