PDA

View Full Version : Le massacre des morts-vivants

archivesofthede
03-Apr-2009, 09:30 PM
I was thinking about getting this film. It's older film, has anyone seen this or have good things to say about it?

MoonSylver
03-Apr-2009, 10:03 PM
The thumb is a bit small, & I'm not familiar w/ it by that title, but that looks like "Let Sleeping Corpses Lie" aka "The Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue" if so, as a genre buff, it's one of my non Romero favorites. Unusual setting/beautiful country side, different story, & a significant place in zombie film history as one of only a few NOTLD inspired flicks that came out BEFORE Dawn & the slew of imitators that followed in it's wake. This one & "Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things" are two fave's from the era.

krakenslayer
03-Apr-2009, 11:19 PM
Yes, it's definitely The Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue, it was the first and probably the best of the 1970s Euro zombie movies, I would highly recommend it. It was shot on location in the picturesque (and desolate) Peak and Lake districts of Northern England, and it's a highly atmospheric film with great cinematography and zombie/gore effects.

The plot involves a bearded Cockney antique dealer who heads to the Lake District to meet some friends and has his motorcycle run over by an attractive young redhead. Said Redhead is going to visit her heroin-addict sister, and the Cockney is forced to tag along in order to get his bike fixed. When the Addict's abusive husband turns up dead, as the latest victim in a rash of inexplicable, gruesome murders, the Cockney and the Redhead are naturally made prime suspects by a grizzled old police detective with a grudge against anyone vaguely counter-cultural. The pair are forced to conduct their own investigations in order to clear their names and are plunged into a gradually-unfolding nightmare involving a growing plague of nearly-unkillable living dead, rabid babies, bloody necromancy and secret government technology.

Imagine Night of the Living Dead crossed with The Wicker Man, done in the Hammer horror movie style, made by Spaniards, but with Italian-style gore. And it's actually better than it sounds. It's certainly one of the genuinely scariest zombie movies I've ever seen.

You can get it on DVD from Anchor Bay (at least, I have it on their label in the UK). I've just found out it's also showing at the Glasgow Film Theatre on the 14th and 15th - I gotta get down there... :eek:

clanglee
03-Apr-2009, 11:42 PM
Yeah. . . it's Let Sleeping Corpses Lie (US title) Good little movie. I didn't care much for the undead in it. Expecially Mr. Super strong/smart/supernatural zombie guy. But the hospital scene is awesome. And I did kind of like the reason behind the problem and all. Interesting movie, and a must if you like european horror.

MoonSylver
04-Apr-2009, 12:13 AM
Yes, it's definitely The Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue, it was the first and probably the best of the 1970s Euro zombie movies, I would highly recommend it. It was shot on location in the picturesque (and desolate) Peak and Lake districts of Northern England, and it's a highly atmospheric film with great cinematography and zombie/gore effects.

The plot involves a bearded Cockney antique dealer who heads to the Lake District to meet some friends and has his motorcycle run over by an attractive young redhead. Said Redhead is going to visit her heroin-addict sister, and the Cockney is forced to tag along in order to get his bike fixed. When the Addict's abusive husband turns up dead, as the latest victim in a rash of inexplicable, gruesome murders, the Cockney and the Redhead are naturally made prime suspects by a grizzled old police detective with a grudge against anyone vaguely counter-cultural. The pair are forced to conduct their own investigations in order to clear their names and are plunged into a gradually-unfolding nightmare involving a growing plague of nearly-unkillable living dead, rabid babies, bloody necromancy and secret government technology.

Imagine Night of the Living Dead crossed with The Wicker Man, done in the Hammer horror movie style, made by Spaniards, but with Italian-style gore. And it's actually better than it sounds. It's certainly one of the genuinely scariest zombie movies I've ever seen.

You can get it on DVD from Anchor Bay (at least, I have it on their label in the UK). I've just found out it's also showing at the Glasgow Film Theatre on the 14th and 15th - I gotta get down there... :eek:

Great summery Kracken. An OL buddy of mine on a zombie board gaming site posted some pic's of the cemetery from the film. Great stuff!

Zombill
05-Apr-2009, 11:02 PM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071431/