PDA

View Full Version : What would you take?

DawnGirl27
07-Apr-2009, 04:15 PM
Having to evacuate in the face of our historic flood, I went through the 'what do we bring, and what do we leave, knowing we may not have a home to come back to' state of mind.
It got me wondering what my Homepage friends would take if you found yourselves in a situation where you had to leave your homes without the assurance that you could return and find it the same way you left it.
We took clothes, our dog and 2 cats and their food, wedding pics, some valuables, books (favorites of mine to help get my mind off things), some practical things like toiletries, and our checkbook.

Yojimbo
07-Apr-2009, 04:49 PM
Having to evacuate in the face of our historic flood, I went through the 'what do we bring, and what do we leave, knowing we may not have a home to come back to' state of mind.
It got me wondering what my Homepage friends would take if you found yourselves in a situation where you had to leave your homes without the assurance that you could return and find it the same way you left it.
We took clothes, our dog and 2 cats and their food, wedding pics, some valuables, books (favorites of mine to help get my mind off things), some practical things like toiletries, and our checkbook.
I had to evacuate my home in Los Angeles last year during a fire that came very close to us, and we took the same things, but also took our firearms. (They had nostalgic value!)

Chic Freak
07-Apr-2009, 05:44 PM
I think my handbag contains most of my essentials, so I'd grab that along with my passport (don't know why, would just feel wrong to lose it), food, water, toiletries, clean undies, a coat and a camera.

Yojimbo
10-Apr-2009, 12:04 AM
I think my handbag contains most of my essentials, so I'd grab that along with my passport (don't know why, would just feel wrong to lose it), food, water, toiletries, clean undies, a coat and a camera.
No photo albums, Chic? Seems the most commonly grabbed thing during a bug-out.

krakenslayer
10-Apr-2009, 12:26 AM
Toothbrush.

Seriously, no one else will remember theirs. I'll be the only one with beautiful pearly whites. :D

blind2d
10-Apr-2009, 01:56 AM
Guitar. That's all you need. Oh, my board too. And other stuff that's much more boring.

MaximusIncredulous
10-Apr-2009, 08:24 PM
If I have time, then money, documents, some clothes, whatever snus is in my fridge, hard drives, some software, and CDs, some of which are out of print and would be next to impossible or very expensive to repurchase. I should take a few DVDs as well but fuck it.

That's what sucks about having stuff as I feel that a person should only own what they can toss into one duffel bag and be done with it.

Chic Freak
11-Apr-2009, 09:42 AM
No photo albums, Chic? Seems the most commonly grabbed thing during a bug-out.

All my photos will love forever on the interwebz :D

Forgot to add baby wipes- they always come in useful!

EDIT: Oh, and my Pills! Don't want to have to stress about getting pregnant on top of living in the attic of a flooded-out house with no electricity or clean drinking water etc!!

I'd leave bringing the mp3 player to Liam so we could at least listen to music until the batteries ran out.

EDIT 2: maybe my jar of multivits & iron would be sensible too?