PDA

View Full Version : My review of I SELL THE DEAD (new zed flick)

krakenslayer
08-Apr-2009, 11:01 PM
Okay, I saw this one at the Glasgow Film Festival a couple of months ago. I originally wrote this review for the guys on the Phantasm Community forum, and have posted a review on IMDB too, but I thought I'd also share my thoughts on this new (unreleased as of now) movie with you guys. I hope this will be of interest:

I Sell the Dead is a jet black horror comedy set in late medieval times, and stars Dominic Monaghan (Lost, Lord of the Rings), Ron Pearlman (Hellboy), Larry Fessenden (Session 9) and Angus Scrimm (Phantasm).

The movie opens with grave-robber Willie Grimes (Fessenden), still indignant and unremorseful, being dragged to the guillotine and executed. His apprentice and partner-in-crime Arthur Blake (Monaghan) is locked in the tower awaiting his turn when Father Duffy (Perlman), a whiskey-swilling priest with an unhealthy interest in the occult, pays him a visit with the apparent intention of recording Blake's final confession. It soon becomes apparent, however, that Duffy main interest lies in the more... otherworldly side of Blake's exploits. Most of the plot from here is told in flashback form as Monaghan regails Duffy with tales of his macabre career.

Initially, Grimes and Blake start out as simple wise-cracking body snatchers, working in the employ of the ghoulish Dr Quint (Scrimm), a callous, corrupt anatomist who uses blackmail as leverage over our two anti-heroes, and takes a rather unhealthy relish in his work. The pair have their first run-in with the undead when, one evening, Quint sends them on a mission to a bleak moonlit moor to retrieve a corpse that has been mysteriously interred at a crossroads, apparently according to some ancient custom. But there's something different about this corpse. This one has been wrapped in cloves of garlic... and buried with a stake through it's heart...

Following a terrifying encounter, not only do they devise a plan to rid themselves of the scheming Doctor's machinations, but they also uncover a secretive subculture of occultists who will pay good money for corpses, and even better money for LIVING SPECIMENS of the undead. This leads our intrepid duo into the hidden underworld of the "ghoul hunting" trade, where they find themselves going head-to-head not only with vampires, monsters and zombies (and one other paranormal entity for which I will not spoil the surprise), but also rival ghoul hunters in the form of the inbred and murderous Murphy clan.

I went into I Sell the Dead expecting a low-key, mildly distracting, low budget chiller. I was not prepared for the incredible imagination, giddy humour, quality acting, great dialogue, thick atmosphere and sheer personality that makes I Sell the Dead a strong early contender for my horror film of the year.

With the exception of a couple of rough edges, the production values are truly fantastic for such a low budget flick - it looks like it was made for about $20 million, and I was surprised when the director told the audience it was made for significantly less than half of that (although he was unwilling to give exact figures as the film was still being sold to distributors). The "look" and tone of the film is a visual comic book somewhere between Tim Burton and Hammer Horror, with smart little Creepshow-esquire artwork inserts. The plot is wonderfully surreal, but the idea of a hidden underworld, running parallel to everyday life but which the general populace is either unable or unwilling to believe in, is one that actually makes quite good sense within the context of the film.

The acting, as you'd expect from this cast, is top notch. The characters are fleshed out surprisingly well, particularly Grimes and Blake, and all the actors deliver their sharply scripted lines with just the right amount of deadpan tongue in cheek to make the dialogue both hilarious and realistic. Angus Scrimm also turns in a good performance in a somewhat brief but memorable role as the gently menacing, violin-playing anatomist Doctor Quinn.

Conclusion - I loved it. It's a long time since I was so entertained by a movie. I struggle to find anything bad to say about it. Mark my words, this is one of those cult films like Evil Dead 2 or Phantasm that people will still be discovering and falling in love with 20, 30, 40 years down the line.

MoonSylver
09-Apr-2009, 01:10 AM
Sounds really good. Unique plot, to be sure. Interesting you mention Hammer, as that was what popped into my head whilst reading the review. Hopefully it will be released here in the states.

AcesandEights
09-Apr-2009, 02:37 PM
Hopefully it will be released here in the states.

Yeah, now I really want to check this out. Thanks for the heads up, Krakenslayer.

krakenslayer
09-Apr-2009, 03:47 PM
Sounds really good. Unique plot, to be sure. Interesting you mention Hammer, as that was what popped into my head whilst reading the review. Hopefully it will be released here in the states.

Yeah, now I really want to check this out. Thanks for the heads up, Krakenslayer.

I also hope it gets some kind of decent release and doesn't just disappear into straight-to-DVD limbo. It certainly has the good looks hold its own at the box office (I mean, it doesn't look cheap like a lot of indie horror) and it's one of those rare horror-comedies that has appeal both for hardcore fans and the more casual moviegoer at large, sort of like Shaun of the Dead in that respect.

krakenslayer
25-Sep-2009, 04:30 PM
Sadly, I Sell the Dead got only a two screen release in the USA (and is headed to cable - much like the equally awesome Dog Soldiers) and still hasn't received a UK release. I really hope it comes out soon, at least on DVD, because I'm DYING to see it again.

bassman
25-Sep-2009, 04:38 PM
Sadly, I Sell the Dead got only a two screen release in the USA (and is headed to cable - much like the equally awesome Dog Soldiers) and still hasn't received a UK release. I really hope it comes out soon, at least on DVD, because I'm DYING to see it again.

It's funny....right before I came to HPotD just now I was on the website for a local cinema in ATL and they are advertising this movie. So I guess it's worth seeing on the big screen?

krakenslayer
25-Sep-2009, 05:30 PM
It's funny....right before I came to HPotD just now I was on the website for a local cinema in ATL and they are advertising this movie. So I guess it's worth seeing on the big screen?

Absolutely. Maybe it's just me, but I had an insanely good time with this movie, as did my other half who's not even a big horror fan. It's just great fun. Imagine a cross between Shaun of the Dead and old Hammer Horror.

Let us know what you thought. I want to know if I hallucinated its awesomeness (since it seems to be getting largely ignored).

AcesandEights
29-Sep-2009, 03:50 PM
Thanks for posting to this topic again, as I keep remembering there's a film like this out there, but keep forgetting the name.

I am subscribing to this thread, something I don't recall ever doing here before, if for no other reason than the ability to easily reference it when I think enough time has gone by that it might be available on netflix, or on DVD in a store by me etc.

Again, it sounds like great fun.

Mike70
30-Sep-2009, 06:02 PM
i have a copy of the movie that i acquired late last night. i have to resync the audio on it though, it's off by like 2 secs, so i haven't watched it yet.

i plan on fixing the audio and watching it tonight, so i am sure i'll be revisiting this thread.

btw: shouldn't this be in dead discussion?:D:p

krakenslayer
30-Sep-2009, 06:26 PM
i have a copy of the movie that i acquired late last night. i have to resync the audio on it though, it's off by like 2 secs, so i haven't watched it yet.

i plan on fixing the audio and watching it tonight, so i am sure i'll be revisiting this thread.

btw: shouldn't this be in dead discussion?:D:p

Ehhh... yeah, I guess. It's only peripherally a "zombie" movie, so I wasn't quite sure where to put it initially.

And yeah, let us know what you think! I wish I could watch it again right now. I could do with a good fun horror flick to cheer me up.

Mike70
01-Oct-2009, 12:45 AM
:stunned::stunned::stunned:

it's taken me several minutes to absorb what i have seen and i have been blown out of my seat this eve by this flick. i cannot even begin to describe how fucking cool this movie is. i'm not going to do a straight up review because kraken's taken care of that and i'd just be repeating him.

but he's right everything about this movie is made of awesome, esp. (as you'd expect) the acting. it's top quality, probably some of the best acting work done in a film like this in eons.

where is that pic hellsing uses of the dude high fiveing the cat? because this film demands it.

again, i'm fooking blown away. a must see. ok, enough of my post movie gushings.

btw: it seems that the true goings-on of burke, hare and dr. knox were the main inspiration for this flick.

AcesandEights
01-Oct-2009, 01:28 AM
:stunned::stunned::stunned:

it's taken me several minutes to absorb what i have seen and i have been blown out of my seat this eve by this flick. i cannot even begin to describe how fucking cool this movie is.

I read no further! That definitely sealed the deal for me.

Now I just have to get a look. :)

Mike70
01-Oct-2009, 05:55 AM
I read no further! That definitely sealed the deal for me.

Now I just have to get a look. :)

one further thing and it won't ruin anything: if you are a fan of the hammer films from the 50s and 60s like i am, you are going to eat this film up. it looks exactly and i do mean exactly like a hammer movie from their golden period. it even has a few little tips of the hat to some of the hammer flicks.

kidgloves
02-Oct-2009, 11:04 AM
one further thing and it won't ruin anything: if you are a fan of the hammer films from the 50s and 60s like i am, you are going to eat this film up. it looks exactly and i do mean exactly like a hammer movie from their golden period. it even has a few little tips of the hat to some of the hammer flicks.

I probably saw the version you did which was capped off cable i think.
Pic was too dark for me so im going to wait for the dvd. It does look like a much bigger budget movie though. Funny as hell :lol:

Mike70
02-Oct-2009, 02:39 PM
Pic was too dark for me so im going to wait for the dvd. It does look like a much bigger budget movie though. Funny as hell :lol:

i had to play around with the file a bit. i changed the contrast, fiddled with a few other color things and resync'd the sound, which was about 2 secs too slow. whoever capped this really dicked it up when they converted it to .avi.

kidgloves
29-Nov-2009, 02:23 PM
This is now *cough* widely available.:elol:
720p version as well :cool:

kidgloves
06-Dec-2009, 12:05 AM
Excellent movie. I hope it gets the recognition it deserves.
A little gem.

rongravy
06-Dec-2009, 12:31 AM

I saw Dog Soldiers at the theater only because one of the producers lives here. It is sad that good movies don't get release. Anything with Angus is gonna be goooood...