PDA

View Full Version : So, Abrams pulled it off!

Neil
10-Apr-2009, 01:41 PM
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Early-Review-Of-JJ-Abrams-Star-Trek-12650.html

AcesandEights
10-Apr-2009, 01:54 PM
Well, it's all starting to sound good, so we'll see. I'm trying to keep an open mind about the whole thing, frankly. I don't want to expect too much from the film, but now it's hard not to have some hope this'll be a fun ride.

bassman
10-Apr-2009, 01:55 PM
Being that I was never a fan of the series but have enjoyed a few of the films, I'm looking forward to this one. I can enjoy it without all the "canon" bullshit that comes with a large franchise "reboot" such as this...

SRP76
10-Apr-2009, 09:13 PM
A critic liked it? That's bad news; it's guaranteed to suck.

MoonSylver
10-Apr-2009, 10:32 PM
Cautiously optimistic. Only thing that bugs me (a little bit) is I'm seeing a trend in sci-fi "reboots" where time travel is used as the macguffin to justify the recon-ing of the cannon, which is really a round-about way of..."we want to re-write/start over/ignore continuity...what's the easiest (laziest) way to do it....uh...how 'bout time travel...."

The series "Enterprise" used it as their justification by way of "First Contact". "T4" from my understanding is doing the same. Not a huge deal breaker, just makes me feel a little *meh*:|

I know, I know...I'm being pissy....:|

sandrock74
11-Apr-2009, 04:52 AM
I am a life long Trek fan, but I haven't had any real "fun" watching Trek shows and movies since Deep Space Nine went off the air (The Dominion War storyline can't be beat!).

I do agree with MoonSylver that sci-fi franchises tend to rely too much on time travel to "fix" stuff (i.e. reboot). I am also less than pleased to learn that with this reboot, that the original timeline of the original series, TNG, DS9 and even Voyager will all be erased, or at least altered. Thats a LOT of time that I invested that will now all be for naught. Am I to understand that all the characters I like from the different shows, like Sisko, Worf, Picard, Tom Paris, etc all no longer exist?

Still, I am looking forward to seeing this movie and I am keeping as open a mind as I can. I hope the early positive reviews are good. I normally tend to agree with SRP76, that if a critic likes it, then it will suck. Besides, I can't simply shut off my accumalated knowledge of Treks past either.

Good God, how ironic that all of Treks cannon is being wiped clean EXCEPT for Star Trek: Enterprise?!?

MoonSylver
11-Apr-2009, 06:49 AM
I am a life long Trek fan, but I haven't had any real "fun" watching Trek shows and movies since Deep Space Nine went off the air (The Dominion War storyline can't be beat!).

I do agree with MoonSylver that sci-fi franchises tend to rely too much on time travel to "fix" stuff (i.e. reboot). I am also less than pleased to learn that with this reboot, that the original timeline of the original series, TNG, DS9 and even Voyager will all be erased, or at least altered. Thats a LOT of time that I invested that will now all be for naught. Am I to understand that all the characters I like from the different shows, like Sisko, Worf, Picard, Tom Paris, etc all no longer exist?

Too early to say. Usually they spout the "Alternate timeline" mumbo-jumbo, which is another cop out way of saying "Now you can have series 'A' AND series 'B' & they're BOTH valid!":rockbrow:. I dunno...just kinda cheapens things somehow...:|

Good God, how ironic that all of Treks cannon is being wiped clean EXCEPT for Star Trek: Enterprise?!?

Didn't that one turn out to be all a holodeck program or something? (Honestly, only Trek series I ever bailed on...just couldn't keep watching...:( )

Neil
11-Apr-2009, 08:14 AM
since Deep Space Nine went off the air (The Dominion War storyline can't be beat!).
I've heard a lot of people raving about that - never really got into DS9!

I did see a couple of classic episodes though which seems to be quite raw and refreshing for the Srat Trek universe! One where Quark(?) was infatuated with the female security officer and wanted to make a hologram of her for his own 'entertainment'? He managed to take holo images of her, but in doing this she cottoned on. An entering the holodeck there was her holograph lying on a be in slinky clothes. The camera panned up her curvatious legs, up her body, until it got to her head - which she had been swapped for Quarks :)

I also remember when Worf was sleeping with the science officer women, and she kept walking around obviously aching from rather forceful Klingon sex :)

AcesandEights
11-Apr-2009, 03:41 PM
I've heard a lot of people raving about that - never really got into DS9!

Once DS9 established its characters the series only got better and better, through to some of the weirder arcs of last season, which I am not as big a fan of. But it's worth watching again for the Obsidian Order and Klingon storylines alone, not to mention some cool character progression for the cast.

sandrock74
11-Apr-2009, 04:39 PM
Didn't that one turn out to be all a holodeck program or something? (Honestly, only Trek series I ever bailed on...just couldn't keep watching...:( )

The final episode was a holodeck recreation of the crews last hurrah. Commander Riker was watching it during the TNG episode "The Pegasus", which guest starred John Locke....er...Terry O'Quinn.

The series itself was indeed real and will still be cannon, since it takes place PRIOR to Kirks time by about a century. It really sucks thou since it was a boring series in general!

I still don't see why there was this apparant 'need' to go back in time with Enterprise and now this reboot. When DS9 ended, the Dominion War had left the Alpha Quadrant a MESS (that was even mentioned in the last couple of Trek films and on occassion on Voyager). The Klingon Empire was said to be set back 10 years from rebuilding to its former, pre-war self. The Romulans had just been allied with Starfleet...how unusual is that??? The Cardassians had just been DECIMATED by the Dominion...they were no longer a space faring super power. Starfleet had suffered horrible losses during the war and was noted that it had lost millions of officers and hundreds of ships.

AND PARAMOUNT DECIDES TO GO BACK IN TIME?!? As far as I am concerned, Paramount left me hanging! WTF? What happens next?? Would Starfleet become the major space faring superpower? Would the Klingons and Romulans officially join the Federation? How would the political star charts have been redrawn?

Man, I am letting my geek flag fly. Sorry guys.

MoonSylver
11-Apr-2009, 07:15 PM
No you're right, there was plenty of potential in the post-TNG/DS9/Voyager era. I can see their logic from a business perspective though. With all the series & continuity & such you kinda have to be a regular follower to keep up. With a "reboot" you take iconic, familiar characters & make it accessible to the causal fan.

SRP76
12-Apr-2009, 03:05 AM
With a "reboot" you take iconic, familiar characters & make it accessible to the causal fan.

That has nothing to do with it. A casual fan can watch an episode of the original series for free on the internet at any time, and see the storyline unfold from beginning to end. It's plenty accessible.

All this does is let someone who can't come up with a decent product on their own just steal something else's characters and established name, and cannibalize it. That's ALL this is. Along with the other ten billion remakes and "re-imaginings" and "reboots" out there.

MoonSylver
13-Apr-2009, 04:34 AM
That has nothing to do with it. A casual fan can watch an episode of the original series for free on the internet at any time, and see the storyline unfold from beginning to end. It's plenty accessible.

All this does is let someone who can't come up with a decent product on their own just steal something else's characters and established name, and cannibalize it. That's ALL this is. Along with the other ten billion remakes and "re-imaginings" and "reboots" out there.

Not disagreeing with you, what I was saying is this is the corporate justification for their actions. As for the accessibility issue, what I was referring to was all the accumulated post TNG/DS9/Voyager continuity. If you tried to launch a new movie franchise set against that backdrop, Joe Average Movie Goer would probably say "huh?", & honestly, that's mostly who they're aiming for.

Just saw the latest promo on TV. The tagline they're using? (I shit you not) "This. Isn't. Your. Father's. Star Trek." replete with lot's of running & jumping about & fighting & explosions. Ugh....:annoyed:

The movie could end up being great for all I know, but crap like that makes me go...:rolleyes:

SRP76
13-Apr-2009, 11:24 PM
Just saw the latest promo on TV. The tagline they're using? (I shit you not) "This. Isn't. Your. Father's. Star Trek." replete with lot's of running & jumping about & fighting & explosions. Ugh....:annoyed:

The movie could end up being great for all I know, but crap like that makes me go...:rolleyes:

Ah, I just went and had myself a good puke. Now I feel a little better.

The thing that's so aggravating about this and most other remakes is that they're eliminating what brought the fans to the the table. People like apples. They want to buy apples. Now, all of a sudden, you try to pass them off some oranges. That's fine, but when you also say, "hey, you can't buy apples anymore", that's when people get pissed off.

Here's the difference:

When Dawn of the Dead was remade, a lot of people shit all over it. Okay, fine. But, at the end of the day, Romero was still out there, being allowed to still make his type of zombie movies. In fact, he went ahead and did just that, two (going on three) more times. So, even though we got a load of oranges dumped on us, apples were still being made for us. So, no big deal.

But now, with Star Trek, they're putting out this MTV Generation bullshit on us, while also making clear that films and series belonging to the "universe" that has been around for 40 years will NOT be made any more. No more apples, ever. It's oranges or nothing.

And that's the thing that gets people worked up and angry.

MoonSylver
14-Apr-2009, 01:48 AM

The thing that's so aggravating about this and most other remakes is that they're eliminating what brought the fans to the the table. People like apples. They want to buy apples. Now, all of a sudden, you try to pass them off some oranges. That's fine, but when you also say, "hey, you can't buy apples anymore", that's when people get pissed off.

Here's the difference:

When Dawn of the Dead was remade, a lot of people shit all over it. Okay, fine. But, at the end of the day, Romero was still out there, being allowed to still make his type of zombie movies. In fact, he went ahead and did just that, two (going on three) more times. So, even though we got a load of oranges dumped on us, apples were still being made for us. So, no big deal.

But now, with Star Trek, they're putting out this MTV Generation bullshit on us, while also making clear that films and series belonging to the "universe" that has been around for 40 years will NOT be made any more. No more apples, ever. It's oranges or nothing.

Mmmm...excellent analogy. I hadn't considered the full implications of what all this reboot stuff means to the Trek series, but this put it in context in a way I hadn't considered before. Damn sad.:(

MikePizzoff
14-Apr-2009, 03:27 AM
I just saw a trailer for this and had absolutely no clue it was a Star Trek film until toward the end of the trailer. I really thought it was a trailer for a Smallville movie or something of the like. Some dude running around and flying like he was a superhero??? Uh??? :confused:

_liam_
15-Apr-2009, 12:18 AM

Here's the difference:

The franchise had been on ice for quite a while, it's more a case of this being the only way it could come back, than this blocking the old one out. The old was done, didn't get good ratings or dvd sales, the last 2 movies didn't do well critically or commercially, etc.

I mean Enterprise is hardly going to get renewed, and really that was a bit of a retcon in some ways anyway.

Just count yourself lucky you aren't a Doctor Who fan - imagine seeing "Star Trek: 902190". That's what we put up with pretty much