PDA

View Full Version : De Wolfe Library Music

See No Evil
12-Apr-2009, 02:55 PM
Hi all, haven't posted here in yonks, but I found something on ebay that you all might find interesting. Someone is selling a whole load of De Wolfe Library music records on Ebay some of which contain music used in Dawn Of The Dead (which is interesting enough in itself) They have also uploaded selected full tracks in MP3 format so you can listen to them before you buy. They're fairly high quality (160k). With a little effort you can download the tracks too.

Looking through some of the long list of records he had for sale I found 9 sample tracks, 7 of which I recognised from dawn.

If you own the bootleg 'complete' soundtrack then these would make a perfect compliment. Of the 7 tracks; you'll already have 2 of these in more or less identical quality. 2 of them are identical tracks, but in much better quality (cleaner audio, less record pops/clicks), one is a much longer version than the existing track and the final 2 are completely new tracks. Here are links to the sample track pages;

http://www.divshare.com/download/6655206-7bc
http://www.divshare.com/download/6849538-392
http://www.divshare.com/download/6314366-6b5
http://www.divshare.com/download/6849404-827

And here is a link to the guy's ebay complete 'Items for Sale' list page;

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/boogiejuice

As I say these are only the tracks I found so if anyone finds anything else then please do post it, but not all his auctions have sample tracks though.

I should also add that I have already messaged the guy asking very nicely if he would be willing to share any other tracks, and I'll post his reply, just so he doesn't get pissed off with a number of people messaging him all asking the same thing.

DubiousComforts
12-Apr-2009, 06:42 PM
I'm almost certain that Synchropulse was not used in Dawn of the Dead, but maybe you can confirm the scene where you've heard it. The cue sheet that was posted to the Internet several years ago is inaccurate and lists many tracks that do not appear in the film, while omitting others. I believe that Synchropulse is one of these tracks.

Additionally, Slow Repose version 1 is not used in DAWN, it's the big Mellotron choir chord from Slow Repose ver 2 that's used during the expansive shot of the zombies outside the mall. You can tell because Slow Repose ver 1 has that awful synth piano noodling around in the right channel (not heard in the movie)

The intro of Motives 1 is only heard on the extended version of DAWN when Peter and Roger first scope out the mall ("It's Christmas time down there, buddy!" "Fat city, brother! How do we work it?"). This track is incredible for the way that it perfectly mimics the sound of Goblin's Argento film soundtracks better than any of the music that Goblin actually composed for DAWN.

Motives 1 was also made commercially available on the De Wolfe release Bite Harder.

Darren (boogiejuice) is a cool eBay seller and a great guy to deal with, though his prices on these LPs have gone up considerably since myself and others have tipped him off that the discs contain DAWN music (Johnny Trunk is also one of his customers). Someone has also been giving Darren the erroneous info from the cue sheet without confirming whether or not the music is actually used in the film. That's why he's listing LPs like Boquet (a recorder ensemble) as containing DAWN library music. It would be nice if people could do their homework.

triste realtà
12-Apr-2009, 10:32 PM
Declickers are not that hard to operate and if you have some clicks left over you just need to chain two of them on different settings, although some declickers are resource hogs. I suggest doubling, if necessary, with the Steinberg Declicker.

Thank you SNE, you are officially not a douchebag.

jscott
13-Apr-2009, 12:19 AM
Additionally, Slow Repose version 1 is not used in DAWN, it's the big Mellotron choir chord from Slow Repose ver 2 that's used during the expansive shot of the zombies outside the mall. You can tell because Slow Repose ver 1 has that awful synth piano noodling around in the right channel (not heard in the movie)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the original audio track from Dawn made in mono? If so, wouldn't there be sounds on some of the library tracks that wouldn't translate to the finished film because of this? I've never noticed this with any of the De Wolfe tracks, but I have with some of the Goblin tracks.

DubiousComforts
13-Apr-2009, 03:01 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the original audio track from Dawn made in mono? If so, wouldn't there be sounds on some of the library tracks that wouldn't translate to the finished film because of this? I've never noticed this with any of the De Wolfe tracks, but I have with some of the Goblin tracks.
You are correct in that DAWN's original audio mix is mono, and granted many of the tracks utilized from the De Wolfe library for the film, such as The Gonk, are mono. However, in using stereo tracks from LPs such as Spinechiller and Sun High (particularly the title track and Figments where the various parts are hard panned), apparently both channels were simply mixed down to mono.

I'd have to double check it to be sure, but Slow Repose ver. 2 is essentially the same as ver. 1 but without the noodling piano. To achieve a big sound, I believe there is an analog synth pad panned to the left and the Mellotron choir is panned to the right, and both of those parts seem to be present in the film's soundtrack.

Another interesting bit of info is that the Trunk Records CD is apparently taken from a different source (possibly 1/4" tape) than the De Wolfe LPs. The panning is reversed on the Sun High tracks and it has more emphasized high-end than is present on the LPs.

axlish
13-Apr-2009, 11:23 AM
CD is apparently taken from a different source (possibly 1/4" tape) than the De Wolfe LPs. The panning is reversed on the Sun High tracks and it has more emphasized high-end than is present on the LPs.

Didn't George mix off of 1/4" tape? (Either that or he dubbed the lp onto 1/4")

DubiousComforts
13-Apr-2009, 12:43 PM
Didn't George mix off of 1/4" tape? (Either that or he dubbed the lp onto 1/4")
They were definitely using 1/4" tape. The Latent Image used a Nagra to record location audio while Karl Hardman recorded sound effects and dubbed the music cues to 1/4" tape, all of which would have been transferred to mag track for editing NIGHT. I only have a general knowledge of the editing process; C5NOLD can explain why it was mixed in mono.

DAWN was probably edited and mixed in the same manner, though I don't know if Romero had access to the library tracks on 1/4" tape or simply dubbed the cues from LP as was done on NIGHT. It would be a great question to ask him. I was told by at least two library music experts that LPs were intended for auditioning cues, though LPs were obviously being used in productions, too.

See No Evil
13-Apr-2009, 07:58 PM
I have found the Dawn Cues sheet you mentioned in the internet archive, in case anyone else wants a look here is the link;

http://web.archive.org/web/20011220020035/http://www.livingdead.com/Dawn/dncue.html

You say there are some omissions & errors in this cue sheet, Has anyone put together a more accurate list than this?

Also while scouting around I found this page. It's a comments section from a soundtracks website for the DOTD 2CD bootleg. It has 92 posts on it with some useful information on catalogue numbers and people have posted links to a couple of tracks not on any of the three CD releases;

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=235247840423470831&postID=5950093435409598602

gary
14-Apr-2009, 02:27 PM
I have lots to add on this subject; for probably 85% of the time I was with George thru the post production process.
All the live sound was recorded on a Nagra III a state of the art 1/4" sync sound recorder. At the time there were few audio sources to pick from, 1/4" ruled! As for music the LPS were for reference only in the beginning. And wen you picked what you wanted you would phone in the track #s in and they would mail you the 1/4" inch master dub tape. You wonder why things took longer then it would take two to three weeks at times to get you music dubs. All this original 1/4" was transferred to 16mm mag film and that's what George cut with and that's what became our mix elements.

Philly_SWAT
14-Apr-2009, 04:19 PM
I'm almost certain that Synchropulse was not used in Dawn of the Dead, but maybe you can confirm the scene where you've heard it. The cue sheet that was posted to the Internet several years ago is inaccurate and lists many tracks that do not appear in the film, while omitting others. I believe that Synchropulse is one of these tracks.

The intro of Motives 1 is only heard on the extended version of DAWN when Peter and Roger first scope out the mall ("It's Christmas time down there, buddy!" "Fat city, brother! How do we work it?"). This track is incredible for the way that it perfectly mimics the sound of Goblin's Argento film soundtracks better than any of the music that Goblin actually composed for DAWN.

Motives 1 was also made commercially available on the De Wolfe release Bite Harder.

Darren (boogiejuice) is a cool eBay seller and a great guy to deal with, though his prices on these LPs have gone up considerably since myself and others have tipped him off that the discs contain DAWN music (Johnny Trunk is also one of his customers). Someone has also been giving Darren the erroneous info from the cue sheet without confirming whether or not the music is actually used in the film. That's why he's listing LPs like Boquet (a recorder ensemble) as containing DAWN library music. It would be nice if people could do their homework.

Funny, you would think that someone with the knowledge that Dawn fans would pay good money for something which a lot of people would consider worthless would ALSO know that die-hard Dawn fans would know whether a 1970's music cue was actually used in the film or not. Definitely seems like they should do their homework. I am pretty sure that if you played a random cue from Dawn, I could tell you exactly where in the film it was used. Synchropulse was certainly NOT used in Dawn.

DubiousComforts
14-Apr-2009, 05:04 PM
I have lots to add on this subject; for probably 85% of the time I was with George thru the post production process.
All the live sound was recorded on a Nagra III a state of the art 1/4" sync sound recorder. At the time there were few audio sources to pick from, 1/4" ruled! As for music the LPS were for reference only in the beginning. And wen you picked what you wanted you would phone in the track #s in and they would mail you the 1/4" inch master dub tape. You wonder why things took longer then it would take two to three weeks at times to get you music dubs. All this original 1/4" was transferred to 16mm mag film and that's what George cut with and that's what became our mix elements.
Gary, this is awesome information! Was the Nagra the only 1/4" tape deck used at the Latent Image in the 60s or did you have another deck in-house for making transfers?

On NIGHT, do you recall if Karl Hardman transferred the library tracks from the LPs to 1/4" tape and if this was the source of the music used in the film? (You can hear pops and clicks on some of the music, so I'd always assumed the source was LP.)

Do you recall any other music libraries being used at the Latent Image while you were there?

This is what a Nagra looks like for anyone that is interested; it was considered the analog standard for recording film audio:

http://mixonline.com/online_extras/1958-nagra-III.web.jpg

Great stuff! The rest of you HPOTD bums don't realize how good you've got it now that Gary posts here. :D

gary
14-Apr-2009, 06:01 PM
On NIGHT, do you recall if Karl Hardman transferred the library tracks from the LPs to 1/4" tape and if this was the source of the music used in the film? (You can hear pops and clicks on some of the music, so I'd always assumed the source was LP.)

Do you recall any other music libraries being used at the Latent Image while you were there?

This is what a Nagra looks like for anyone that is interested; it was considered the analog standard for recording film audio:

I think because Karl used these libraries so much he had 1/4" copies of most of them but it is likely that he made some 1/4" copies off LP of certain pieces and it could be that those pieces were never replaced. Remember there could be sync issues when making totally new mag film dubs from a different source. Very tricky when a picture has been cut to a certain track to enter a new dub into the equation. It's of little consequence these days but back then the variance could be quite dramatic like 1 or 1.5 seconds over 15 or 20 seconds. Not good for Georges tight high impact editing style.
The Latent Image didn't own any music libraries at that time I think later we bought a SFX library

See No Evil
26-Apr-2009, 05:47 PM
As a follow up to my original post I am working through a project to try to identify every single piece of music used in all three versions of dawn. To give everyone an idea of what I'll end up with, I've posted an 'in progress' track listing for the theatrical version which I'm currently working though;

- Updated Link -
http://www.seenoevil.aquiss.com/dotd/
- Updated Link -

Where I don't have the original track to compare or haven't been able to identify something, it's entry has been left blank. I now have a collection of around 60 individual library tracks to work from built up from multiple sources, but I know I don't have everything, here is a list of what I have so far;

http://www.seenoevil.aquiss.com/Current%20Library%20Tracks%20List.txt

This is where you come in. Although I have about 70% of the full library albums I need, I'm still missing a vital few. This is what I still need;

[de wolfe] - dwlp 2857 - pierre arvay - illustrations no. 3
[de wolfe] - dwlp 2949 - herbert chappell - band 8
[de wolfe] - dwlp 3021 - keith papworth - travelling light
[de wolfe] - dwlp 3168 - pierre arvay - illustrations no. 8
[de wolfe] - dwlp 3176 - reg wale - bouquet
[de wolfe] - dwlp 3196 - peter reno - restless woman
[de wolfe] - dwlp 3309 - pierre arvay - presence contemporaine musique francaise

[hudson] - hmclp 506 - p. merrick - mindbender

[sylvester] - smclp 514 - hemisphere)

So if anyone has any of these albums, wants to contribute to this project, or just wants to know more; then please email me at rob@seenoevil.aquiss.com

axlish
26-Apr-2009, 11:12 PM
I have all of the lps you mentioned... and more! You are missing a shitload amigo, not a few ;)

DubiousComforts
26-Apr-2009, 11:37 PM
Although I have about 70% of the full library albums I need, I'm still missing a vital few. This is what I still need;

Dramaturgy & Cosmogony - Hudson Music Company (HMC/LP507)
Chicken Wire and Hen's Nest - Hudson Music Company (HMC/LP510)
Illustrations No. 2 - De Wolfe Records (DW/LP2823)
Power Project - De Wolfe Records (DW/LP2922)
Band 8 - De Wolfe Records (DW/LP2949)
Selling sounds - Dewolfe Records (DW/LP3180)
Underlay - De Wolfe Records (DW/LP3198)
Spinechiller - De Wolfe Records (DW/LP3300)
Sun High - Dewolfe Records (DW/LP3366)
^Dude, those LPs alone contain about 70% of the tracks used in the film!

Uncle George says "Go For It!"

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/1933/georgerocksdewolfe.jpg

Okay, here's something that I just noticed. You have both Queka and Flossie from Underlay listed, but there is actually a third cue from the same LP (one of the "string backing" tracks on side A) that is used as mall music on the extended version when Stephen and Peter are "shopping" for tools to board up the stairs. This track isn't listed on the cue sheet and doesn't appear on either the Trunk Records CD or the "complete" soundtrack CD.

See No Evil
27-Apr-2009, 06:05 AM
^Dude, those LPs alone contain about 70% of the tracks used in the film!

I already have some of the individual tracks from those albums from various sources (as you can see from the list I posted, that's the 60 cues I already have), I know I am still missing some tracks from those LP's and I wanted the full LP's to do a proper check/comparison of everything else.

DubiousComforts
27-Apr-2009, 06:38 AM
I already have some of the individual tracks from those albums from various sources (as you can see from the list I posted, that's the 60 cues I already have), I know I am still missing some tracks from those LP's and I wanted the full LP's to do a proper check/comparison of everything else.
Gotcha. It seemed that you posted as having 70% of the full LPs needed, but your want list comprises probably 70% of the LPs actually used.

It seems that you have too many tracks listed from both World Power and Sounds Unusual, and I still have never found Synchropulse or Once to have been used in any version of DAWN. I also have Coming of the Saucers on the LP Electroshake and haven't spotted it anywhere in the film. Many of the "complete" soundtrack CD cues are composites, so I first would try to clean-up the list of tracks that you already have and eliminate anything that definitely was not used in the film.

See No Evil
27-Apr-2009, 08:41 AM
I'm working this project from both angles, I have noticed a number of people in the past doing DOTD score projects, but I took a slightly different route. I took the audio track from all three version of the film, and edited every single piece of music into it's own WAV file. So I now have full samples of each of the tracks, The european has 55 tracks, the extended 132 and the theatrical 143 (that's not to say 143 separate pieces of music, some pieces are repeated and there would be different parts of the same tracks used also). Each version has an index file (like the one I posted) and each track has it's own listing. Working from this angle means nothing can get missed, if I have any unidentified tracks left over, then I know I haven't identified everything

That's where I am. At the moment I'm checking off what I music I already have from the 2004 trunk CD, the Zombi Goblin CD, and misc tracks I've picked up here and there, and matching them up. At the end I'll have a list of unidentified tracks to work from, and a full list of identified tracks with timecodes and original artist/title/album/company/refs info.

(I'm not using the 'complete' 51/66 track 2cd score as those cues have been edited to just what appears in the film and multiple tracks have been edited together so I couldn't get the full original cue tracks from that (for the most part anyway).)

So I'm working this project from both ends, working through and trying to identify all the samples, and while doing that; trying to get all the tracks and albums I might need, such as getting tracks people have said in the past are used, even if mistakenly just in case (as per the cue sheet) and where I have a track that I know was from a particular album, checking all the other tracks on that album just in case.

You're right, I don't think 'Synchropulse', 'Once', 'Coming of the Saucers' or 'Electroshake' were used, but I have them all the same. After all the tracks have been identified then I can definitively say what was & wasn't used. From Sounds Unusual, I know the following tracks are used; 'Indictment', 'Action Pack', 'Bravado' & 'Proud Action' (I have checked these) and from World Power; 'Fugarock', 'Scarey 1', 'Scarey 2' & 'Zap!' I know are used (again I've checked) and 'Two Minutes Precisely' I'm not sure on (it was on the cue list).

See No Evil
28-Apr-2009, 07:38 PM
I have managed to get spinechiller from another source, but I still need help with the rest of the albums. I haven't had anyone contact me and haven't heard back from anyone I PM'd.

I've put a whole heap of work into this project so far but I can't complete it without the missing tracks. Is no one willing to help me out on this?

See No Evil
10-May-2009, 05:20 PM
Ok, well this project is almost complete, and I have virtually all the LPs I wanted from other sources. I have already been in contact with Neil/HPOTD websmaster over hosting this project on the HPOTD site once it's complete, but until then I have posted the three track listing files so people can look at them now;

- Updated Link -
- Updated Link -

I have also posted the working project files online as well;

http://www.mediafire.com/seenoevil

Here there are 3 ZIP files. each one has all the sample tracks as MP3 files, along with a track listing text file, and two winamp playlists; one plays all the tracks, one just plays the unidentified tracks.

I would think once I'm finished, that the list of used library cues would be something over the 100 mark (not including any Goblin or incorrectly listed dawn cue sheet tracks). As far as proper full cues I've still not identified, the list is short! really just three tracks;

Theatrical Version Missing Tracks

Track 089B (Misc harp & strings playing over 087A) (Same as below)
Timecode From = 01:28:29.480
Timecode To = 01:29:13.919

Extended version missing tracks

Track 059 (Solo Flute Cue)
Timecode From = 00:59:46.840
Timecode To = 01:01:17.893

Track 087B (Misc harp & strings playing over 087A) (Same as above)
Timecode From = 01:37:17.294
Timecode To = 01:38:01.493

European version missing tracks

Track 041 (Mall Musak)
Timecode From = 01:31:25.974
Timecode To = 01:32:00.935

This is the full list of what's left to identify. Out of the 406 edited sample clips over the three versions, there are a total of 31 unidentified, but some of these are the same track repeated multiple times over the three films so in actuality, there are only around 12 cues left to find, but this includes even the shortest few second clips which will be really hard to place;

Track 042 (Short drum beat - Same as 043A)
Track 043A (Short drum beat - Same as 042)
Track 064B (Killing Krishna zombie piano chord)
Track 089B (Misc harp & strings playing over 087A)
Track 099 (Bugle Call - Cavalry Charge - Same as 105)
Track 105 (Bugle Call - Cavalry Charge - Same as 099)
Track 120 (Could just be the backing cue with lots of echo/reverb)
Track 121 (Could just be the backing cue with lots of echo/reverb)
Track 122 (Could just be the backing cue with lots of echo/reverb)
Track 124 (Could just be the backing cue with lots of echo/reverb)
Track 126 (Could just be the backing cue with lots of echo/reverb)
Track 141 (Cymbal Crash)
Track 143 (Big Ben/Mall Clock Chimes)

Track 039 (Short drum beat - Same track as 040A)
Track 040A (Short drum beat - Same track as 039)
Track 058B (Hitting Krishna zombie piano chord)
Track 087B (Misc harp & strings playing over 087A)
Track 096 (Bugle Call - Cavalry Charge - Same as 102)
Track 102 (Bugle Call - Cavalry Charge - Same as 096)
Track 114 (Big Ben/Mall Clock Chimes - Same as 131)
Track 116A (Could just be the backing cue with lots of echo/reverb)
Track 118 (Could just be the backing cue with lots of echo/reverb)
Track 119 (Could just be the backing cue with lots of echo/reverb)
Track 130A (Cymbal Crash)
Track 131 (Big Ben/Mall Clock Chimes - Same as 114)

Track 021 (Krishna cymbals)
Track 041 (Mall Musak)
Track 042 (Sounds like Goblin - Zaratozom, but not on CD)
Track 051 (Big Ben/Mall Clock Chimes)

I'm still working on this project to get the last tracks but if anyone knows what the missing ones are then please let me know?

Also, DubiousComforts, cheers for the underlay heads up, Having checked it out there are actually two of the Stringback cues used; No.3 (building the false wall) & No.4 (a few seconds used in the background of one scene in the extended version). I also now have every cue listed in the LivingDead.com old dawn cue sheet, so once I'm finished I will be able to definitively resolve exactly what cues were and were not used once & for all!

DEAD BEAT
11-May-2009, 11:38 PM
Hi all, haven't posted here in yonks, but I found something on ebay that you all might find interesting. Someone is selling a whole load of De Wolfe Library music records on Ebay some of which contain music used in Dawn Of The Dead (which is interesting enough in itself) They have also uploaded selected full tracks in MP3 format so you can listen to them before you buy. They're fairly high quality (160k). With a little effort you can download the tracks too.

Looking through some of the long list of records he had for sale I found 9 sample tracks, 7 of which I recognised from dawn.

If you own the bootleg 'complete' soundtrack then these would make a perfect compliment. Of the 7 tracks; you'll already have 2 of these in more or less identical quality. 2 of them are identical tracks, but in much better quality (cleaner audio, less record pops/clicks), one is a much longer version than the existing track and the final 2 are completely new tracks. Here are links to the sample track pages;

http://www.divshare.com/download/6655206-7bc
http://www.divshare.com/download/6849538-392
http://www.divshare.com/download/6314366-6b5
http://www.divshare.com/download/6849404-827

And here is a link to the guy's ebay complete 'Items for Sale' list page;

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/boogiejuice

As I say these are only the tracks I found so if anyone finds anything else then please do post it, but not all his auctions have sample tracks though.

I should also add that I have already messaged the guy asking very nicely if he would be willing to share any other tracks, and I'll post his reply, just so he doesn't get pissed off with a number of people messaging him all asking the same thing.

forgot to mention thanx these sounds rock i downloaded them all!!:D

DubiousComforts
12-May-2009, 05:44 PM

Track 120 (Could just be the backing cue with lots of echo/reverb)
Track 121 (Could just be the backing cue with lots of echo/reverb)
Track 122 (Could just be the backing cue with lots of echo/reverb)
Track 124 (Could just be the backing cue with lots of echo/reverb)
Track 126 (Could just be the backing cue with lots of echo/reverb)

Great work on your DAWN cue list(s). I'm almost positive the tracks listed above are simply cues that have been processed through a tape echo, similar to what was done with several music cues in NIGHT.

A few other corrections/omissions: in the theatrical version, Track 067 from the New Decade LP is actually titled "Dank Earth (Part 1)" by Don Harper, not "Dark Earth" by Jack Trombey.

In the extended version, Track 032 "Motives 1" from Sun High was commercially released on the De Wolfe Bite Harder CD (DWCR001).

You can see how frustrating and ridiculous that original cue sheet is. I have all of the LPs used for DAWN except for two or three (and I doubt I'll be paying over $100 for Electric Banana just to get "Cause I'm A Man"). It cost a ton of money to put together and there would have been far less hassle had a decent cue sheet been available.

I ran into the same exact same problem with the official cue sheet for NIGHT, which is pretty funny when you consider that the cue sheet is how they determine which composers get paid.

See No Evil
14-May-2009, 03:28 PM
Done a bit more legwork on this project. I've assembled a list of albums & tracks used in each version, as well as a master list covering all three. I know I'm still missing some cues, but these are the most complete lists I can currently make. The master list has 91 tracks listed (17 of which are goblin, so actually 74 cues) and I think I'm still missing 12-ish cues. This would mean a likely final total of around 86 cues (+ 17 Goblin tracks). The entries are listed in alphabetical order by album title, with the tracks used from that album following.

- Updated Link -
- Updated Link -

I have also put together another list. This is a list of cues which are NOT used, but had been listed, named or suggested (in various places) as possibly appearing in one or more versions. That it not to say I can guarantee that they don't appear in any version of the film, just having gone though the intensive & very thorough process of identifying & matching up all the cues I have so far, I cannot match any of these cues up to the unidentified sample tracks I have left.

- Updated Link -
- Updated Link -

In the extended version, Track 032 "Motives 1" from Sun High was commercially released on the De Wolfe Bite Harder CD (DWCR001).

I was sticking to released Dawn soundtracks. If I was to go down that route, then Carlo Rustichelli - I Vado, Vedo e Sparo is available on the official CD score for that film, Motives as you say is on Bite Harder, and Jack Trombey - Waiting For The Man, Jack Trombey - Red Sequence & Eric Towren - Violence can be found on the Kung Fu Super Sounds CD, among others.

DubiousComforts
14-May-2009, 06:18 PM
The master list has 91 tracks listed (17 of which are goblin, so actually 74 cues) and I think I'm still missing 12-ish cues.

Looks great, but just to reiterate, there is no track titled "Dark Earth" on the De Wolfe New Decade LP (a careless mistake thanks to the Trunk Records CD). It's "Dank Earth" in two parts, the first part being utilized in DAWN when the zombies converge on Roger hot-wiring the truck.

I was sticking to released Dawn soundtracks. If I was to go down that route, then Carlo Rustichelli - I Vado, Vedo e Sparo is available on the official CD score for that film, Motives as you say is on Bite Harder, and Jack Trombey - Waiting For The Man, Jack Trombey - Red Sequence & Eric Towren - Violence can be found on the Kung Fu Super Sounds CD, among others.
Being that you seem to already have all this interesting and helpful information, I would definitely go down that route.

But what do I know? ;)

Danny Terror
14-May-2009, 06:36 PM
I want all of it.

ALL OF IT

See No Evil
15-May-2009, 09:40 PM
I have put together a project website, which brings all the material I have produced together. Obviously the project isn't finished yet as I still have some tracks left to identify, but what I have so far is up anyway. I'm still working on it and various pages are still somewhat rough/under construction, but virtually all the information is there.

(I have also amended all my previously posted links to this address, as I have moved all the files into their own dotd folder on my webspace to tidy things up.)

Looks great, but just to reiterate, there is no track titled "Dark Earth" on the De Wolfe New Decade LP (a careless mistake thanks to the Trunk Records CD). It's "Dank Earth" in two parts, the first part being utilized in DAWN when the zombies converge on Roger hot-wiring the truck.

I have now amended this track title. No offence intended whatsoever, but with the old cue sheet having so many errors on, I wanted to be absolutely 100% sure before I changed it.

Thanks for the heads up!

DubiousComforts
16-May-2009, 04:59 AM
I have now amended this track title. No offence intended whatsoever, but with the old cue sheet having so many errors on, I wanted to be absolutely 100% sure before I changed it.
No problem. I only know this from tracking down the actual LP, which was difficult due to the track name being incorrect on the Trunk Records CD.

Too bad I didn't have your web page two years ago when I began looking for this music, I would have saved myself some money. :D The library LPs are worth having for all the awesome music they contain, not just the DAWN cues. It's fun discovering that the same music was used in other films, like the cues from Empty Horizons during the opening titles to Holy Grail. That's the stuff I'm interested in preserving.

So when are you going to tackle NIGHT and the Capitol Hi-Q library? ;)

I want all of it.

ALL OF IT
You again!

See No Evil
16-May-2009, 07:12 AM
So when are you going to tackle NIGHT and the Capitol Hi-Q library?
I know the score was released first on an LP, then later on a bootleg CD. I wasn't aware there was anything missing from it even if the proper names of the cues isn't known? My main issue with dawn was that not only were the proper names for the majority of the cues unknown, but alot of the cues had never had any commercial or even bootleg release.

As I mention on the project info page, one of the tracks from the old incorrect cue sheet, I picked out as having been used in The Crazies, I might go for that if I want to go further.

axlish
16-May-2009, 12:23 PM
Ok, which tracks are you missing? I will open up my vault if you've got a track I need.

I need the following...

Solo flute track that plays over Stephen and Fran arguing over abortion and Canada. This track was used in the Cannes only (which I am concentrating on), and was also featured in Season of the Withch, as well as the featurette on the DVD. I have isolated enough of the track from these three sources to patch together enough of a usable track. The track is unimportant to me but I'd still like to have it just to complete the piece. If I never find it, it'll be ok with me.

The track that plays over the gun store scene. I have the tribal chant track (found by chance on the net, I have no lp information on this one), but I need the animal sounds to add over the top. Again, I am satisfied with what I have on this one, but it'd be nice to have the animals to go with it.

Finally, the track that plays in the arcade. Seeing as how this track made it to all three versions of the film, I have come to the conclusion that it may have been live audio from the store :( Right now, I just use the live audio of the scene which works ok, but obviously the track itself is preferred. I've even tried hunting down info on the arcade itself to try and score their muzak reel, to no avail. This is easily the most wanted track that I still need.

Minor track: There is a little clip of unintentional music that plays over Stephen saying "Jesus Christ... They're maniacs" just before running down to the mall to join Peter and Roger. It is so faint that I cannot isolate it and figure out what it is.

capncnut
16-May-2009, 12:41 PM
Finally, the track that plays in the arcade. Seeing as how this track made it to all three versions of the film, I have come to the conclusion that it may have been live audio from the store :(
Yup, a smiliar 'wurlitzer' type tune used to play over a horse racing game called 'Grand Derby' or something like that. It was one of those games where you operated model horses and raced them around an oval course. When I was holidaying in Blackpool as a kid, I remember thinking to myself that it sounded similar to the 'arcade theme' to Dawn.

Tunes of this nature have turned up on shows like Monty Python's Flying Circus and such.

See No Evil
16-May-2009, 02:46 PM
Solo flute track that plays over Stephen and Fran arguing over abortion and Canada.

I haven't found this one yet, but I'm still looking.

The track that plays over the gun store scene.

I too have the tribal chant, but not the animal sounds. I classed that as a sound effect so I wasn't really searching for it.

Finally, the track that plays in the arcade. Seeing as how this track made it to all three versions of the film.

This one I have identified and I do have the full cue, if you want to trade for that one?

Minor track: There is a little clip of unintentional music that plays over Stephen saying "Jesus Christ... They're maniacs" just before running down to the mall to join Peter and Roger.

This one I also have if you want to trade also?

This is what I'm still missing across the three versions. As far as proper full cues I've still not identified, the list is short! really just three tracks;

Track 089B (Misc harp & strings playing over 087A) (Same as below)
Timecode From = 01:28:29.480
Timecode To = 01:29:13.919

Timecode From = 00:59:46.840
Timecode To = 01:01:17.893

Track 087B (Misc harp & strings playing over 087A) (Same as above)
Timecode From = 01:37:17.294
Timecode To = 01:38:01.493

Track 041 (Mall Musak)
Timecode From = 01:31:25.974
Timecode To = 01:32:00.935

This is the full list of what's left to identify. Some of these are the same track repeated multiple times over the three films so there are only around 12 cues left to find, but this includes even the shortest few second clips which will be really hard to place;

Track 042 (Short drum beat - Same as 043A)
Track 043A (Short drum beat - Same as 042)
Track 064B (Killing Krishna zombie piano chord)
Track 089B (Misc harp & strings playing over 087A)
Track 099 (Bugle Call - Cavalry Charge - Same as 105)
Track 105 (Bugle Call - Cavalry Charge - Same as 099)
Track 141 (Cymbal Crash)
Track 143 (Big Ben/Mall Clock Chimes)

Track 039 (Short drum beat - Same track as 040A)
Track 040A (Short drum beat - Same track as 039)
Track 058B (Hitting Krishna zombie piano chord)
Track 087B (Misc harp & strings playing over 087A)
Track 096 (Bugle Call - Cavalry Charge - Same as 102)
Track 102 (Bugle Call - Cavalry Charge - Same as 096)
Track 114 (Big Ben/Mall Clock Chimes - Same as 131)
Track 130A (Cymbal Crash)
Track 131 (Big Ben/Mall Clock Chimes - Same as 114)

Track 021 (Krishna cymbals)
Track 041 (Mall Musak)
Track 042 (Sounds like Goblin - Zaratozom, but not on CD)
Track 051 (Big Ben/Mall Clock Chimes)

axlish
16-May-2009, 03:12 PM
Theatrical, track 120-122,124, 126, and Extended tracks 116a, 118 and 119, you are correct. I have an edited version that successfully recreates the effect that you have predicted. You can safely remove those tracks from the list.

I'll work on the rest, and yes, I want those tracks you have up for offer.

I'll have to cue up the flick to ID the rest.

See No Evil
16-May-2009, 08:20 PM
Being that you seem to already have all this interesting and helpful information, I would definitely go down that route.

I have now added this information into all three lists on my site. Apart from the three obvious Dawn CDs, there are also three library music compilation CDs with other cues on;

Kung Fu Super Sounds (3 Cues)

Bite Harder - The Music De Wolfe Studio Sampler Volume 2 (1 Cue)

Vado, Vedo e Sparo - Original Soundtrack (1 Cue)

As fas as I know, that's all the cues from dawn that have been commercially released, although there are more than a couple of compilation library CDs, not just De Wolfe either, many are compilations from various labels, so there could be more out there.

DubiousComforts
21-May-2009, 05:38 PM
I have now added this information into all three lists on my site.

As fas as I know, that's all the cues from dawn that have been commercially released, although there are more than a couple of compilation library CDs, not just De Wolfe either, many are compilations from various labels, so there could be more out there.

Good job. It's easy enough to add more info in this area as it turns up.

I know the score was released first on an LP, then later on a bootleg CD. I wasn't aware there was anything missing from it even if the proper names of the cues isn't known?

Oh Lordy, where to even begin with NIGHT...? :D

There are 45-48 (or more) different cues used in NIGHT depending on how you want to break it down since some of the tracks are composites. The Varese Sarabande LP (listed here (http://www.discogs.com/Various-Night-Of-The-Living-Dead-Original-Motion-Picture-Soundtrack/release/1455430)) only contains about 24 cues total, and one of those--the posse music--is incorrect due to an error on the original cue sheet that nobody at Varese Sarabande bothered to double check. So what they have listed as "Posse In The Fields/Ben Awakes" doesn't appear anywhere in the film.

Of all the cues used in the film, nearly everything comes from the Capitol Hi-Q library except for two synthesizer tracks used during the feast following the truck explosion, and the scene where Ben confronts the Coopers' corpses in the cellar. There are also three examples of stingers processed through a long tape delay (when the cemetery ghoul attacks Barbra, when Barbra finds the corpse at the top of the stairs and the final shot of the bonfire). Karl Hardman and Marilyn Eastman claimed to have radically processed the music that was used in the film, but except for the three examples of tape delay mentioned above, the music is identical to the cues found on stock Capitol HI-Q reels.

Capitol Hi-Q reels and LPs are tough to obtain and the actual cue sheet for NIGHT isn't 100% accurate, so it's very difficult to verify which cues were used. There were five series within the library (D for drama, L for light, M for melodic, S for short and X for Experimental) containing hundreds of LPs and none of this music is consistently titled. Unlike the De Wolfe library, the cues are primarily identified by code and the composers aren't always properly credited because a lot of this music was composed for hire (for example, John Seeley and Spencer Moore were not composers, they were publishers yet their names appear all over these tracks).

Also, one of the Hi-Q reels utilized in NIGHT was so old that it had been already replaced with different music within the library several years prior to the film being made, which creates even more confusion in tracking down the correct cues. The Varese Sarabande LP not only retitled all of the original music cues, which is a BIG problem when dealing with previously copyrighted material, but several composers were intentionally not credited because the rights to use their cues had long since lapsed.

One cue that the LP does contain which I haven't found anywhere else is a brass/synthesizer stinger used primarily when the ghouls advance on the house for the last time. I believe Karl Hardman may have created this cue from a Hi-Q track and provided it to Varese Sarabande. Regardless, the source of this cue appears nowhere on the original cue sheet. I'd also assume that Hardman created the other electronic cues described above because he is credited on the LP.

One interesting aspect of the Capitol Hi-Q library is that the reels containing NIGHT cues also contain alternate tracks that were used in Creepshow. ;)

triste realtà
22-May-2009, 10:45 PM
http://rapidshare.com/files/180234520/McDonald_and_Rae_-_Don_t_Let_Go.mp3

Here's the Creepshow disco song but it's only a 192kbps. Someone was trying to charge people on youtube for a 320.

BJ put up the no more room in hell cue (which is so long I want to edit it for the part that appears in Dawn, same with Spinechiller) and Spinechiller mp3. These cues make me glad that someone put up the edited versions.

DubiousComforts
02-Jun-2009, 05:12 PM
Noticed this from looking over the actual De Wolfe LPs:

Library Album = Sun High
Company = De Wolfe Records
Library Ref = DW/LP3366

The catalog number for Sun High is actually DWS/LP 3366. Now I'm not 100% certain, but I believe DWS/LP is used for all the stereo LPs in the DeWolfe library.

Spinechiller is also DWS/LP 3300 even though all of side B is mono.

See No Evil
05-Jun-2009, 10:46 PM
The catalog number for Sun High is actually DWS/LP 3366. Now I'm not 100% certain, but I believe DWS/LP is used for all the stereo LPs in the DeWolfe library.

Spinechiller is also DWS/LP 3300 even though all of side B is mono.

Yes you're right, cheers for the heads up on that. After asking around I've found out that De Wolfe were very late on introducing stereo recording as most of their clients (TV mainly) all wanted mono music.

Pretty much everything released during 1973 or earlier is mono (which is just DW/LP...), and everything from 1974 onwards is stereo (and is labelled DWS/LP...), even though as you say some specific parts are still in mono

I have now double checked the catalogue numbers and corrected them as needed.

DubiousComforts
06-Feb-2011, 05:31 PM
Finally, the track that plays in the arcade. Seeing as how this track made it to all three versions of the film, I have come to the conclusion that it may have been live audio from the store :( Right now, I just use the live audio of the scene which works ok, but obviously the track itself is preferred. I've even tried hunting down info on the arcade itself to try and score their muzak reel, to no avail. This is easily the most wanted track that I still need.

Time to update the cue list: Dawn of the Dead LP soundtrack ARCADE MUSIC (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=320650971754&si=qIpLq4Sdqz8pRJ5rz8z2QmY5SJs%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT)

C5NOTLD
08-Feb-2011, 04:46 AM

http://mixonline.com/online_extras/1958-nagra-III.web.jpg

They are still in use on some film sets :D Nagras are work horses..

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a152/USCJC/na.jpg