PDA

View Full Version : Terminator: Salvation video game...

Neil
14-Apr-2009, 11:40 AM
...could it actually be good?

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/47893.html

darth los
14-Apr-2009, 03:25 PM
Imo, and this is for any game based on a movie, they tend to work best when you just concentrate on making the game. Where things go wrong is when they try to adhere too closely to the film it came from. It stifles the creativity of the development team and it's anti climactic because most major battles from the game we've already seen in the film.

Just take the characters from the film and their abilities and do a side story to the film. Don't recreate the film but supplement it.

:cool:

SymphonicX
14-Apr-2009, 03:45 PM
agreed with darth los....Matrix game was a good example on ps2....

Will see that link when I have time :)

darth los
14-Apr-2009, 04:00 PM
agreed with darth los....Matrix game was a good example on ps2....

Will see that link when I have time :)

LMAO!! :lol::lol:

That's exactly the game I was thinking about when I wrote that!!

Another good example was the first riddick game. It had Vin deisel in it but bore little resemblance to any of the films. And lo and behold!! A good game came from it. Now if they would have made Pitch Black the video game it would have almost certainly bombed or at the very least dissapointed.

:cool:

SymphonicX
14-Apr-2009, 04:02 PM
Ahh Chronicles of Riddick? That got so much positive reviews from players, I was tempted to buy it but never did. Maybe when I'm achievement whoring I'll get it:)

Neil
14-Apr-2009, 05:56 PM
Ahh Chronicles of Riddick? That got so much positive reviews from players, I was tempted to buy it but never did. Maybe when I'm achievement whoring I'll get it:)

There's a new Riddick game coming!

krakenslayer
14-Apr-2009, 06:09 PM
Looks a linear poor-man's Fallout 3.

Neil
14-Apr-2009, 06:30 PM
Looks a linear poor-man's Fallout 3.

I have to admit I like linear games. I find now I just don't have the time or effort to wander around for hours on end finding things...

AcesandEights
14-Apr-2009, 06:50 PM
They must include a John "Meltdown" Connor Easter egg, a la Bale's classic rant.

Help me, I'm getting E.T. Atari 2600 flashbacks!

http://www.gamethink.net/IMG/png/atari_2600_ET.png

MinionZombie
14-Apr-2009, 07:06 PM
I saw a new trailer for it on ActionTrip this morning - looked like it was focussing heavily on cinematics (easy to make a game look rad with little real effort), and the gameplay looked to have a lot of spit & polish on it - as in not a good thing - a bunch of bloom effects etc to cover up the lameness.

Also, it felt like a rip-off of Gears of War at times, at others it looked far too colourful for a Terminator universe, too linear in a dull way (as opposed to COD4's linear awesomeness) ... and importantly, there were several lines of dialogue that just left me rolling my eyes.

No thanks - PASS.

Now, that Ghostbusters game - heck yes! :cool:

krakenslayer
14-Apr-2009, 07:13 PM
I have to admit I like linear games. I find now I just don't have the time or effort to wander around for hours on end finding things...

That's interesting because I like open-ended games for the same reason - if I want to just pick up a controller and shoot some monsters or explore an old building on a whim I can, and can do so where and when I choose, and I don't have to worry about having to get past a difficult obstacle, being tied to following a given plot and having to keep playing a given level to the point of tedium.

bassman
14-Apr-2009, 07:49 PM
Now, that Ghostbusters game - heck yes! :cool:

The best movie tie in game ever? I sure hope and think so.:D

As for Terminator....I'll wait and see the movie first. If it turns out good, then I'll probably just rent the game. But I must say that a game that focuses on the future war sounds really awesome. Whether it be for a new movie or not.

They couldn't get Christian Bale's likeness for the game?:rockbrow:

MinionZombie
14-Apr-2009, 09:00 PM
The best movie tie in game ever? I sure hope and think so.:D

As for Terminator....I'll wait and see the movie first. If it turns out good, then I'll probably just rent the game. But I must say that a game that focuses on the future war sounds really awesome. Whether it be for a new movie or not.

They couldn't get Christian Bale's likeness for the game?:rockbrow:
Hopefully the GB game will rock balls because it's come way after the movies.

The problem with almost all movie-tie-in games, is that they're rushed out for the movie's release - ergo, SUCKAGE.

Meanwhile, if you take a pre-existing property that's wedged in the public conscious and culture, then make a game over the proper production period, and you'll most likely get something kick arse.

EvilNed
15-Apr-2009, 08:57 PM
I know GRIN, the developers, have experience in post-apocalyptic coolness, with their action game Bandits. So yeah, might be something here. Still, I'll stick with Fallout 3.

krakenslayer
15-Apr-2009, 09:08 PM
Hopefully the GB game will rock balls because it's come way after the movies.

The problem with almost all movie-tie-in games, is that they're rushed out for the movie's release - ergo, SUCKAGE.

An interesting one was Bethesda's (the Oblivion/Fallout 3 developer) Pirates of the Caribbean game - based on the original movie. Apparently Disney approached them and offered them a shedload of money for a pirate-themed open-ended action game they were already developing based on the Morrowind engine, if they would change the name to Pirates of the Caribbean and release it pronto. Bethesda took the deal, modded the game to look like PotC and threw it out onto the market six months ahead of schedule - bugs and all.

The huge world is full of areas that don't seem to have anything in them except trees and rocks and there are glitches galore. The game is actually still pretty good fun if you look past these flaws, I'd recommend it as a curiosity piece for fans of Morrowind, but very, VERY unfinished-looking. If it had been given another few months in development and actually completed it would have been a truly legendary game. An interesting example of how a movie tie-in licence actually screwed up a perfectly good non-movie related game.

EvilNed
16-Apr-2009, 11:57 AM
Yeah, Kraken, I have that game. It's only drawback is that i's obviously made for console so the controls for PC are shit. But it's a very fun game!

Neil
21-Apr-2009, 11:17 AM
http://www.actiontrip.com/rei/comments_news.phtml?id=042109_4

MinionZombie
21-Apr-2009, 12:21 PM
http://www.actiontrip.com/rei/comments_news.phtml?id=042109_4
The problem with this, is that it's a Terminator game based on T4's future war as per the influence of Mc-sodding-G et al ... rather than a Terminator game based on the future war set out by the franchise originator, and action cinema genius James Cameron.

The future war in T1 and T2 - that's what I want to play.

krakenslayer
21-Apr-2009, 05:01 PM
The problem with this, is that it's a Terminator game based on T4's future war as per the influence of Mc-sodding-G et al ... rather than a Terminator game based on the future war set out by the franchise originator, and action cinema genius James Cameron.

The future war in T1 and T2 - that's what I want to play.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/skynet :D

MinionZombie
21-Apr-2009, 05:36 PM
Oh geez - is that what all games looked like a few years ago, or just that one? :p

Anyway - I want a next (current) gen T1 & T2 Terminator game, something super awesome.

Although The Terminator, and T2 Arcade, as well as Terminator 2, on Sega Mega Drive (aka Genesis) rocked ... ... even though The Terminator was tough as shit.

Tricky
21-Apr-2009, 05:57 PM

:lol: bwah ha ha one of the screen shots says "impressive new indoor textures", i shouldnt mock though,11 years ago i would have been quite impressed by that!

Neil
20-May-2009, 11:19 AM
Oh dear!

The future isn't set. That means you still have time to cancel your preorder of Terminator Salvation. A harsh statement, certainly, but considering the latest in the man vs. machine saga can easily be completed in four hours, it's an accurate one. While Terminator Salvation has some good ideas and is fun at times, it lacks any replayability. And more importantly, it lacks the star of the film, which is a rather curious omission.

MinionZombie
20-May-2009, 02:26 PM
Oh dear!

The future isn't set. That means you still have time to cancel your preorder of Terminator Salvation. A harsh statement, certainly, but considering the latest in the man vs. machine saga can easily be completed in four hours, it's an accurate one. While Terminator Salvation has some good ideas and is fun at times, it lacks any replayability. And more importantly, it lacks the star of the film, which is a rather curious omission.
How am I not at all surprised? :p

CooperWasRight
21-May-2009, 02:58 AM
This game was pretty much a waste of 3 1/2 hours of my life.... I wish time travel was possible so I could send a t-800 back to stop.... Oh you get the point...Pass on this one unless you want the 1000 gamerscore.